Tower City, Pennsylvania
Tower City: Winter on East Grand Avenue
Tower City: Street in Tower City
Tower City: Winter Orwin Sky's
Tower City: haley n julias sweet spot cafe
Submit your own pictures of this borough and show them to the World
|Median resident age:||41.0 years|
|Pennsylvania median age:||40.7 years|
Zip codes: 17980.
Estimated per capita income in 2015: $22,676 (it was $15,678 in 2000)
Tower City borough income, earnings, and wages data
Estimated median house or condo value in 2015: $73,013 (it was $48,400 in 2000)
Mean prices in 2015: All housing units: $127,042; Detached houses: $154,681; Townhouses or other attached units: $58,432; In 2-unit structures: $81,065; In 3-to-4-unit structures: $72,823; Mobile homes: $67,823
Median gross rent in 2015: $681.
Races in Tower City, PA (2010)
- 1,31297.5%White alone
- 80.6%Two or more races
- 50.4%American Indian alone
- 10.07%Black alone
- 10.07%Asian alone
- 10.07%Other race alone
|Thoughts About Pittsburgh (49 replies)|
|Fantasy Light Rail Map (135 replies)|
|Pittsburgh interest level in Cavaliers? (132 replies)|
|The worst drivers downtown drive buses (69 replies)|
|2014 Skyscrapers in Pittsburgh: (Under construction and proposed) (255 replies)|
|Thinking of Shenandoah (2 replies)|
Latest news from Tower City, PA collected exclusively by city-data.com from local newspapers, TV, and radio stations
Ancestries: German (36.5%), American (22.0%), English (6.5%), Dutch (6.1%), Polish (5.1%), Pennsylvania German (4.9%).
Current Local Time: EST time zone
Incorporated on 12/19/1892
Elevation: 800 feet
Land area: 0.31 square miles.
Population density: 4,299 people per square mile(average).
For population 25 years and over in Tower City:
- High school or higher: 87.2%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 8.9%
- Graduate or professional degree: 2.5%
- Unemployed: 5.6%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 30.7 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Tower City borough:
- Never married: 33.0%
- Now married: 47.3%
- Separated: 2.7%
- Widowed: 6.1%
- Divorced: 11.0%
6 residents are foreign born
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units with mortgages in 2015: $939 (1.2%)
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units with no mortgage in 2015: $890 (1.5%)
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Reading, PA (37.2 miles , pop. 81,207).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: Philadelphia, PA (84.8 miles , pop. 1,517,550).
Nearest cities: Reinerton-Orwin-Muir, PA (1.0 miles ), Reinerton, PA (1.0 miles ), Orwin, PA (1.1 miles ), Muir, PA (1.3 miles ), Williamstown borough, PA (1.9 miles ), Valley View, PA (2.0 miles ), Hegins, PA (2.3 miles ), Wiconsico, PA (2.6 miles ).
Latitude: 40.59 N, Longitude: 76.55 W
Area code: 717
|Crime rates in Tower City by Year|
|City-data.com crime index (higher means more crime, U.S. average = 250.8)||23.6||55.2||18.1||20.4|
(click on a table row to update graph)
Crime rate in Tower City detailed stats: murders, rapes, robberies, assaults, burglaries, thefts, arson
Unemployment by year (%)
- Manufacturing (32%)
- Public administration (9%)
- Construction (8%)
- Wholesale trade (8%)
- Retail trade (8%)
- Other services, except public administration (6%)
- Accommodation and food services (6%)
- Health care and social assistance (15%)
- Retail trade (13%)
- Manufacturing (12%)
- Educational services (12%)
- Public administration (12%)
- Accommodation and food services (11%)
- Transportation and warehousing (7%)
- Production occupations (26%)
- Material moving occupations (15%)
- Installation, maintenance, and repair occupations (9%)
- Transportation occupations (8%)
- Office and administrative support occupations (7%)
- Construction and extraction occupations (6%)
- Food preparation and serving related occupations (5%)
- Office and administrative support occupations (23%)
- Material moving occupations (10%)
- Education, training, and library occupations (9%)
- Production occupations (9%)
- Healthcare support occupations (9%)
- Food preparation and serving related occupations (9%)
- Sales and related occupations (7%)
Average climate in Tower City, Pennsylvania
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Tower City-area historical tornado activity is slightly above Pennsylvania state average. It is 0% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 6/18/1970, a category F3 (max. wind speeds 158-206 mph) tornado 18.7 miles away from the Tower City borough center killed one person and injured 5 people and caused between $500,000 and $5,000,000 in damages.
On 7/14/2004, a category F3 tornado 21.4 miles away from the borough center caused $18 million in damages.
Earthquake activity:Tower City-area historical earthquake activity is near Pennsylvania state average. It is 86% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 1/16/1994 at 01:49:16, a magnitude 4.6 (4.6 MB, 4.6 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi, Class: Light, Intensity: IV - V) earthquake occurred 32.5 miles away from the city center
On 9/25/1998 at 19:52:52, a magnitude 5.2 (4.8 MB, 4.3 MS, 5.2 LG, 4.5 MW, Depth: 3.1 mi, Class: Moderate, Intensity: VI - VII) earthquake occurred 209.9 miles away from Tower City center
On 1/16/1994 at 00:42:43, a magnitude 4.2 (4.2 MB, 4.0 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 34.0 miles away from the city center
On 10/7/1983 at 10:18:46, a magnitude 5.3 (5.1 MB, 5.3 LG, 5.1 ML) earthquake occurred 258.7 miles away from the city center
On 1/31/1986 at 16:46:43, a magnitude 5.0 (5.0 MB) earthquake occurred 250.1 miles away from Tower City center
On 4/20/2002 at 10:50:47, a magnitude 5.2 (5.2 MB, 4.2 MS, 5.2 MW, 5.0 MW, Depth: 6.8 mi) earthquake occurred 305.9 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: regional Lg-wave magnitude (LG), body-wave magnitude (MB), local magnitude (ML), surface-wave magnitude (MS), moment magnitude (MW)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Schuylkill County (19) is greater than the US average (13).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 14
Emergencies Declared: 5
Causes of natural disasters: Floods: 6, Storms: 6, Snowstorms: 3, Tropical Storms: 3, Winter Storms: 3, Hurricanes: 2, Blizzard: 1, Heavy Rain: 1, Mudslide: 1, Snowfall: 1, Tropical Depression: 1, Water Shortage: 1 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Hospitals and medical centers near Tower City:
- TREMONT NURSING CT ICF (Nursing Home, about 12 miles away; TREMONT, PA)
- TREMONT HEALTH AND REHABILITAT (Nursing Home, about 12 miles away; TREMONT, PA)
- KEPLER HOME, INC, THE (Nursing Home, about 14 miles away; ELIZABETHVILLE, PA)
- VNA HEALTH SYSTEM (Home Health Center, about 14 miles away; SHAMOKIN, PA)
- DAVITA - NORTHUMBERLAND DIALYSIS (Dialysis Facility, about 16 miles away; MT. CARMEL, PA)
Airports and heliports located in Tower City:
- Bendigo Airport (74N) (Runways: 1, Air Taxi Ops: 30, Itinerant Ops: 700, Local Ops: 1,900, Military Ops: 300)
- Veterans Heliport (48PA)
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Tower City:
- McCann School of Business & Technology (about 18 miles; Pottsville, PA; Full-time enrollment: 3,412)
- Susquehanna University (about 23 miles; Selinsgrove, PA; FT enrollment: 2,495)
- Harrisburg Area Community College-Harrisburg (about 27 miles; Harrisburg, PA; FT enrollment: 13,276)
- Pennsylvania State University-Penn State Harrisburg (about 29 miles; Middletown, PA; FT enrollment: 3,797)
- Bloomsburg University of Pennsylvania (about 30 miles; Bloomsburg, PA; FT enrollment: 9,452)
- Bucknell University (about 31 miles; Lewisburg, PA; FT enrollment: 3,418)
- Pennsylvania State University-Penn State Berks (about 35 miles; Reading, PA; FT enrollment: 2,605)
Public high school in Tower City:
- WILLIAMS VALLEY JSHS (Students: 555, Location: 10330 STATE ROUTE 209, Grades: 7-12)
Public elementary/middle school in Tower City:
- WILLIAMS VALLEY EL SCH (Students: 555, Location: 10400 STATE ROUTE 209, Grades: KG-6)
Notable location: Tower City Volunteer Fire Company 1 (A). Display/hide its location on the map
Air pollution and air quality trends
(lower is better)
Air Quality Index (AQI) level in 2013 was 103. This is worse than average.
Carbon Monoxide (CO) [ppm] level in 2007 was 0.462. This is significantly worse than average. Closest monitor was 16.7 miles away from the city center.
Sulfur Dioxide (SO2) [ppb] level in 2007 was 5.72. This is significantly worse than average. Closest monitor was 16.7 miles away from the city center.
Ozone [ppb] level in 2013 was 29.3. This is about average. Closest monitor was 19.6 miles away from the city center.
Particulate Matter (PM10) [µg/m3] level in 2013 was 21.9. This is about average. Closest monitor was 22.9 miles away from the city center.
Particulate Matter (PM2.5) [µg/m3] level in 2013 was 11.3. This is worse than average. Closest monitor was 19.6 miles away from the city center.
(11.5% for White Non-Hispanic residents)
|This borough:||2.4 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
Likely homosexual households (counted as self-reported same-sex unmarried-partner households)
- Lesbian couples: 0.2% of all households
- Gay men: 0.2% of all households
Banks with branches in Tower City (2011 data):
- Mid Penn Bank: Tower City Branch at Main Street, branch established on 1934/02/26. Info updated 2007/03/02: Bank assets: $715.4 mil, Deposits: $634.1 mil, headquarters in Millersburg, PA, positive income, Commercial Lending Specialization, 14 total offices, Holding Company: Mid Penn Bancorp, Inc.
- Susquehanna Bank: Tower City Branch at 800 West Grand Avenue, branch established on 1985/01/03. Info updated 2012/02/28: Bank assets: $14,849.0 mil, Deposits: $10,294.4 mil, headquarters in Lititz, PA, positive income, Commercial Lending Specialization, 308 total offices, Holding Company: Susquehanna Bancshares, Inc.
- Riverview Bank: Tower City Office Branch at 920 East Wiconisco Street, branch established on 2010/09/13. Info updated 2012/01/24: Bank assets: $287.4 mil, Deposits: $246.4 mil, headquarters in Marysville, PA, positive income, Commercial Lending Specialization, 9 total offices, Holding Company: Riverview Financial Corporation
Educational Attainment (%) in 2015
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2015
Presidential Elections Results
Graphs represent county-level data. Detailed 2008 Election Results
Religion statistics for Tower City borough (based on Schuylkill County data)
Food Environment Statistics:
|Schuylkill County:||2.18 / 10,000 pop.|
|Pennsylvania:||2.04 / 10,000 pop.|
|This county:||0.07 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||0.09 / 10,000 pop.|
|Schuylkill County:||0.95 / 10,000 pop.|
|Pennsylvania:||0.88 / 10,000 pop.|
|Schuylkill County:||3.26 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||2.52 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||7.75 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||7.12 / 10,000 pop.|
Health and Nutrition:
More about Health and Nutrition of Tower City, PA Residents
|Local government employment and payroll (March 2012)|
|Function||Full-time employees||Monthly full-time payroll||Average yearly full-time wage||Part-time employees||Monthly part-time payroll|
|Police Protection - Officers||0||$0||7||$5,882|
|Streets and Highways||0||$0||4||$6,789|
|Other and Unallocable||0||$0||12||$9,922|
|Totals for Government||0||$0||23||$22,593|
3.03% of this county's 2011 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2010 ($32,818 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved from foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2010 and 2011:
|from Berks County, PA||0.40% ($35,142 average AGI)|
|from Luzerne County, PA||0.30% ($28,678)|
|from Carbon County, PA||0.29% ($29,710)|
3.44% of this county's 2010 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2011 ($36,022 average adjusted gross income)
0.02% of residents moved to foreign countries ($171 average AGI)
Schuylkill County: 0.02% Pennsylvania average: 0.06%
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2010 and 2011:
Strongest AM radio stations in Tower City:
- WEEU (830 AM; 20 kW; READING, PA; Owner: WEEU BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WKOK (1070 AM; 10 kW; SUNBURY, PA; Owner: SUNBURY BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WWJZ (640 AM; 50 kW; MOUNT HOLLY, NJ; Owner: ABC, INC.)
- WLBR (1270 AM; 5 kW; LEBANON, PA; Owner: LEBANON BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WVCH (740 AM; 50 kW; CHESTER, PA; Owner: WVCH COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- WHP (580 AM; 5 kW; HARRISBURG, PA; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WCBM (680 AM; 50 kW; BALTIMORE, MD; Owner: WCBM MARYLAND, INC.)
- WPPA (1360 AM; 5 kW; POTTSVILLE, PA; Owner: POTTSVILLE BROADCASTING CO.)
- WZZD (990 AM; 50 kW; PHILADELPHIA, PA; Owner: PENNSYLVANIA MEDIA ASSOCIATES, INC.)
- WPEN (950 AM; 50 kW; PHILADELPHIA, PA; Owner: GREATER PHILADELPHIA RADIO, INC.)
- KYW (1060 AM; 50 kW; PHILADELPHIA, PA; Owner: INFINITY BROADCASTING OPERATIONS, INC.)
- WWSM (1510 AM; daytime; 5 kW; ANNVILLE-CLEONA, PA; Owner: PATRICK H. SICKAFUS)
- WBAL (1090 AM; 50 kW; BALTIMORE, MD; Owner: HEARST RADIO, INC.)
Strongest FM radio stations in Tower City:
- WQKX (94.1 FM; SUNBURY, PA; Owner: SUNBURY BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WEGH (107.3 FM; NORTHUMBERLAND, PA; Owner: SUNBURY BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WITF-FM (89.5 FM; HARRISBURG, PA; Owner: WITF, INC.)
- WBLJ-FM (95.3 FM; SHAMOKIN, PA; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WYGL-FM (100.5 FM; ELIZABETHVILLE, PA; Owner: SUNAIR COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- WSPI (99.7 FM; MOUNT CARMEL, PA; Owner: H & P COMMUNICATIONS, LTD)
- WFYY (106.5 FM; BLOOMSBURG, PA; Owner: RADIO FRIENDZ, INC.)
- WRVV (97.3 FM; HARRISBURG, PA; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- W299AF (107.7 FM; CATAWISSA, PA; Owner: SALT & LIGHT MEDIA MINISTRIES, INC.)
- WLZS (106.1 FM; BEAVER SPRINGS, PA; Owner: STARVIEW MEDIA, INC)
- WRTL (90.7 FM; EPHRATA, PA; Owner: TEMPLE UNIV OF COMMONWEALTH SYSTEM)
- WCAT-FM (106.7 FM; HERSHEY, PA; Owner: CITADEL BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WLGL (92.3 FM; RIVERSIDE, PA; Owner: SUNAIR COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- WROZ (101.3 FM; LANCASTER, PA; Owner: HALL COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- WARM-FM (103.3 FM; YORK, PA; Owner: WSBA LICO, INC.)
- WQLV (98.9 FM; MILLERSBURG, PA; Owner: HEPCO COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- WPGM-FM (96.7 FM; DANVILLE, PA; Owner: MONTROSE BROADCASTING CORP.)
- WIOV-FM (105.1 FM; EPHRATA, PA; Owner: REGENT BROADCASTING OF LANCASTER, INC.)
- WVLY-FM (100.9 FM; MILTON, PA; Owner: MILTON-LEWISBURG BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WNNK-FM (104.1 FM; HARRISBURG, PA; Owner: CUMULUS LICENSING CORP.)
TV broadcast stations around Tower City:
- WLYH-TV (Channel 15; LANCASTER, PA; Owner: TELEVISION STATION GROUP LICENSE SUBSIDIARY, LLC)
- WITF-TV (Channel 33; HARRISBURG, PA; Owner: WITF, INC.)
- WHP-TV (Channel 21; HARRISBURG, PA; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WPMT (Channel 43; YORK, PA; Owner: TRIBUNE TELEVISION COMPANY)
- WHTM-TV (Channel 27; HARRISBURG, PA; Owner: HARRISBURG TELEVISION, INC.)
- WGAL (Channel 8; LANCASTER, PA; Owner: WGAL HEARST-ARGYLE TELEVISION, INC.)
Tower City fatal accident list:
Nov 2, 2000 06:42 PM, Us-209, Vehicles: 1, Persons: 2, Pedestrians: 1, Fatalities: 1
Drinking water stations with addresses in Tower City that have no violations reported:
- NINOS NY STYLE PIZZA (Population served: 100, Primary Water Source Type: Groundwater)
2006 National Fire Incident Reporting System Incidents:
- Fire: 3
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Fuel oil, kerosene, etc. (55%)
- Coal or coke (25%)
- Electricity (14%)
- Bottled, tank, or LP gas (3%)
- Other fuel (2%)
- Wood (0%)
Businesses in Tower City, PA
- Subway: 1
Tower City compared to Pennsylvania state average:
- Median house value significantly below state average.
- Unemployed percentage below state average.
- Black race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage significantly below state average.
- Length of stay since moving in above state average.
- House age above state average.
- Number of college students below state average.
- Percentage of population with a bachelor's degree or higher significantly below state average.
Total of 6 patent applications in 2008-2017.