Tracy City, Tennessee
Tracy City: Sycamore Falls, Located on the Fiery Gizzard Trail in Tracy City
Tracy City: Tracy City Shopping Center
Tracy City: Tracy City Shopping Center
Tracy City: Tracy City Shopping Center
Tracy City: Tracy City Shopping Center
Submit your own pictures of this town and show them to the World
|Median resident age:||43.9 years|
|Tennessee median age:||38.6 years|
Zip codes: 37387.
Estimated per capita income in 2016: $19,686 (it was $15,457 in 2000)
Tracy City town income, earnings, and wages data
Estimated median house or condo value in 2016: $96,780 (it was $50,500 in 2000)
Mean prices in 2016: All housing units: $131,113; Detached houses: $134,083; Mobile homes: $106,497
Median gross rent in 2016: $538.
Races in Tracy City, TN (2010)
- 1,44397.4%White alone
- 130.9%American Indian alone
- 130.9%Two or more races
- 20.1%Asian alone
- 10.07%Black alone
|Great small town (no more 20kl) Near Nashville? (17 replies)|
|Looking for a small safe town in Tennessee to raise our kids (13 replies)|
|Fun things to do with kids (13 replies)|
|Tracy City (1 reply)|
|Mountain Home with 10 acre minimum? (16 replies)|
|Planning ahead? (16 replies)|
Latest news from Tracy City, TN collected exclusively by city-data.com from local newspapers, TV, and radio stations
Ancestries: American (21.4%), Irish (17.4%), English (7.1%), German (3.9%), Swiss (2.3%), Dutch (1.7%).
Current Local Time: CST time zone
Incorporated in 1915
Elevation: 1829 feet
Land area: 4.79 square miles.
Population density: 301 people per square mile(very low).
For population 25 years and over in Tracy City:
- High school or higher: 68.7%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 9.5%
- Graduate or professional degree: 4.9%
- Unemployed: 6.0%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 29.3 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Tracy City town:
- Never married: 22.6%
- Now married: 41.0%
- Separated: 2.2%
- Widowed: 12.3%
- Divorced: 21.9%
14 residents are foreign born
According to our research of Tennessee and other state lists there were 10 registered sex offenders living in Tracy City, Tennessee as of June 24, 2018.
The ratio of number of residents in Tracy City to the number of sex offenders is 135 to 1.
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units with mortgages in 2016: $492 (0.5%)
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units with no mortgage in 2016: $418 (0.4%)
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Chattanooga, TN (30.7 miles , pop. 155,554).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: Nashville-Davidson, TN (84.3 miles , pop. 545,524).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: Chicago, IL (467.0 miles , pop. 2,896,016).
Nearest cities: Monteagle, TN (2.3 miles ), Pelham, TN (2.4 miles ), Coalmont, TN (2.4 miles ), Gruetli-Laager, TN (3.2 miles ), Sewanee, TN (3.3 miles ), Altamont, TN (3.5 miles ), Palmer, TN (3.5 miles ), Whitwell, TN (3.6 miles ).
Single-family new house construction building permits:
- 2013: 1 building, cost: $180,600
Latitude: 35.26 N, Longitude: 85.74 W
Area code: 931
|Crime rates in Tracy City by Year|
|City-data.com crime index (higher means more crime, U.S. average = 271.6)||75.1||305.0||231.3||560.9||375.1||472.5||334.5||213.5||172.4|
(click on a table row to update graph)
Crime rate in Tracy City detailed stats: murders, rapes, robberies, assaults, burglaries, thefts, arson
|Officers per 1,000 residents here:||3.49|
Unemployment by year (%)
- Manufacturing (26%)
- Construction (24%)
- Transportation and warehousing (20%)
- Accommodation and food services (10%)
- Retail trade (9%)
- Finance and insurance (4%)
- Utilities (2%)
- Health care and social assistance (23%)
- Manufacturing (16%)
- Accommodation and food services (16%)
- Educational services (11%)
- Public administration (9%)
- Retail trade (5%)
- Finance and insurance (5%)
- Construction and extraction occupations (16%)
- Production occupations (16%)
- Installation, maintenance, and repair occupations (15%)
- Transportation occupations (11%)
- Management occupations (8%)
- Office and administrative support occupations (8%)
- Sales and related occupations (7%)
- Food preparation and serving related occupations (20%)
- Health diagnosing and treating practitioners and other technical occupations (15%)
- Production occupations (15%)
- Office and administrative support occupations (10%)
- Healthcare support occupations (8%)
- Education, training, and library occupations (7%)
- Business and financial operations occupations (5%)
Average climate in Tracy City, Tennessee
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Tracy City-area historical tornado activity is slightly above Tennessee state average. It is 70% greater than the overall U.S. average.
On 4/3/1974, a category F5 (max. wind speeds 261-318 mph) tornado 22.0 miles away from the Tracy City town center killed 16 people and injured 190 people.
On 2/13/1952, a category F4 (max. wind speeds 207-260 mph) tornado 19.3 miles away from the town center killed 3 people and injured 44 people and caused between $50,000 and $500,000 in damages.
Earthquake activity:Tracy City-area historical earthquake activity is near Tennessee state average. It is 78% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 4/29/2003 at 08:59:39, a magnitude 4.9 (4.4 MB, 4.6 MW, 4.9 LG, Depth: 12.2 mi, Class: Light, Intensity: IV - V) earthquake occurred 53.4 miles away from the city center
On 11/30/1973 at 07:48:41, a magnitude 4.7 (4.7 MB, 4.6 ML) earthquake occurred 106.9 miles away from Tracy City center
On 4/18/2008 at 09:36:59, a magnitude 5.4 (5.1 MB, 4.8 MS, 5.4 MW, 5.2 MW, Depth: 8.9 mi, Class: Moderate, Intensity: VI - VII) earthquake occurred 250.6 miles away from the city center
On 7/27/1980 at 18:52:21, a magnitude 5.2 (5.1 MB, 4.7 MS, 5.0 UK, 5.2 UK) earthquake occurred 226.7 miles away from the city center
On 1/18/1999 at 07:00:53, a magnitude 4.8 (4.8 MB, 4.0 LG, Depth: 0.6 mi) earthquake occurred 154.8 miles away from Tracy City center
On 6/18/2002 at 17:37:15, a magnitude 5.0 (4.3 MB, 4.6 MW, 5.0 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 219.9 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: regional Lg-wave magnitude (LG), body-wave magnitude (MB), local magnitude (ML), surface-wave magnitude (MS), moment magnitude (MW)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Grundy County (15) is near the US average (13).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 11
Emergencies Declared: 2
Causes of natural disasters: Floods: 7, Storms: 6, Winter Storms: 4, Tornadoes: 3, Fires: 2, Flash Flood: 1, Heavy Rain: 1, Hurricane: 1, Ice Storm: 1, Snowfall: 1 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Birthplace of: Charlie Tate - College football player.
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Tracy City:
- The University of Tennessee-Chattanooga (about 29 miles; Chattanooga, TN; Full-time enrollment: 10,158)
- Chattanooga State Community College (about 31 miles; Chattanooga, TN; FT enrollment: 6,827)
- Motlow State Community College (about 33 miles; Tullahoma, TN; FT enrollment: 2,915)
- Southern Adventist University (about 42 miles; Collegedale, TN; FT enrollment: 2,898)
- Cleveland State Community College (about 49 miles; Cleveland, TN; FT enrollment: 2,500)
- Lee University (about 50 miles; Cleveland, TN; FT enrollment: 4,422)
- Northeast Alabama Community College (about 51 miles; Rainsville, AL; FT enrollment: 2,409)
Public elementary/middle school in Tracy City:
- TRACY ELEMENTARY (Students: 403, Location: 276 THI8RD ST, Grades: PK-8)
User submitted facts and corrections:
- Phil Douglas, noted major leaque baseball player in the eariy 1900's. He played with and against the greats. He pitched 3 games in the 1921 Giants/Yankees world series and won 2 of them, making him the hero of the series as the Giants won. He is known to be the first pitcher to pitch a ball, via radio, in a world series. You can find more info on the internet. His grave monument , shaped as a baseball might be one of a kind and be newsworthy.Pretty often, you will find a PD baseball card on ebay along with a book that mentions Tracy City and the unusual grave marker.
Notable locations in Tracy City: Grundy County Fairgounds (A), Tracy City Fire and Rescue (B). Display/hide their locations on the map
Churches in Tracy City include: Sanders Church (A), Gum Spring Church (B). Display/hide their locations on the map
Cemetery: Tracy City Cemetery (1). Display/hide its location on the map
Lakes and reservoirs: Hines Pond (A), Grundy Lake Number Four (B), Grundy Lake Number One (C), Littell Number One Lake (D). Display/hide their locations on the map
Streams, rivers, and creeks: Little Fiery Gizzard Creek (A), Meeks Branch (B), Ramsey Branch (C). Display/hide their locations on the map
Park in Tracy City: Grundy Lakes Game Preserve (1). Display/hide its location on the map
Court: Grundy County - County Court Clerk (Altamont).
(25.6% for White Non-Hispanic residents, 21.4% for Black residents, 83.5% for two or more races residents)
|This town:||2.3 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
Likely homosexual households (counted as self-reported same-sex unmarried-partner households)
- Lesbian couples: 0.3% of all households
- Gay men: 0.2% of all households
Banks with branches in Tracy City (2011 data):
- Citizens Tri-County Bank: Tracy City Branch at Oak And Colyar Streets, branch established on 1977/11/21; Tracy City Branch at 416 Railroad Avenue, branch established on 1904/07/18. Info updated 2011/08/09: Bank assets: $568.5 mil, Deposits: $503.4 mil, headquarters in Dunlap, TN, positive income, 22 total offices, Holding Company: Sequatchie Valley Bancshares, Inc.
- Citizens State Bank: Highway 41 Branch at 102b Highway 41, branch established on 2002/12/07. Info updated 2006/11/03: Bank assets: $67.8 mil, Deposits: $59.7 mil, headquarters in Jasper, TN, positive income, Commercial Lending Specialization, 7 total offices, Holding Company: General Bancshares, Inc.
Educational Attainment (%) in 2016
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2016
Presidential Elections Results
Graphs represent county-level data. Detailed 2008 Election Results
Religion statistics for Tracy City town (based on Grundy County data)
Food Environment Statistics:
|Grundy County:||5.61 / 10,000 pop.|
|Tennessee:||1.99 / 10,000 pop.|
|Grundy County:||9.12 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||5.16 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||3.51 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||6.56 / 10,000 pop.|
Health and Nutrition:
More about Health and Nutrition of Tracy City, TN Residents
|Local government employment and payroll (March 2012)|
|Function||Full-time employees||Monthly full-time payroll||Average yearly full-time wage||Part-time employees||Monthly part-time payroll|
|Police Protection - Officers||1||$2,214||$26,568||0||$0|
|Police - Other||4||$7,254||$21,762||0||$0|
|Streets and Highways||2||$3,569||$21,414||1||$567|
|Parks and Recreation||0||$0||1||$679|
|Other and Unallocable||0||$0||1||$261|
|Totals for Government||14||$18,338||$15,718||4||$1,755|
Tracy City government finances - Expenditure in 2002 (per resident):
- Current Operations - Water Utilities: $285,000 ($197.78)
Police Protection: $111,000 ($77.03)
Regular Highways: $57,000 ($39.56)
Financial Administration: $33,000 ($22.90)
Libraries: $2,000 ($1.39)
- General - Interest on Debt: $0 ($0.00)
- Total Salaries & Wages: $318,000 ($220.68)
Tracy City government finances - Revenue in 2002 (per resident):
- Local Intergovernmental - General Support: $153,000 ($106.18)
- Miscellaneous - Interest Earnings: $13,000 ($9.02)
- Revenue - Water Utilities: $444,000 ($308.12)
- State Intergovernmental - General Support: $187,000 ($129.77)
Highways: $51,000 ($35.39)
All Other: $2,000 ($1.39)
- Tax - Property: $66,000 ($45.80)
Other Selective Sales: $5,000 ($3.47)
Tracy City government finances - Cash and Securities in 2002 (per resident):
- Other Funds - Cash & Deposits: $261,000 ($181.12)
3.93% of this county's 2011 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2010 ($26,219 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved from foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2010 and 2011:
|from Marion County, TN||0.51% ($19,870 average AGI)|
|from Franklin County, TN||0.44% ($44,300)|
|from Coffee County, TN||0.38% ($24,765)|
4.68% of this county's 2010 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2011 ($26,827 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved to foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2010 and 2011:
Strongest AM radio stations in Tracy City:
- WWAM (820 AM; daytime; 50 kW; JASPER, TN; Owner: SHELTON BROADCASTING SYSTEM)
- WFLI (1070 AM; 50 kW; LOOKOUT MOUNTAIN, TN; Owner: WFLI, INC.)
- WEPG (910 AM; 5 kW; SOUTH PITTSBURG, TN; Owner: STONE/COLLINS COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- WSM (650 AM; 50 kW; NASHVILLE, TN; Owner: GAYLORD ENTERTAINMENT COMPANY)
- WZYX (1440 AM; 5 kW; COWAN, TN; Owner: TIMS FORD BROADCASTING COMPANY, INC.)
- WSDQ (1190 AM; daytime; 5 kW; DUNLAP, TN; Owner: RODGSON, INC.)
- WLOR (1550 AM; 50 kW; HUNTSVILLE, AL; Owner: BCA RADIO, LLC)
- WMSR (1320 AM; 5 kW; MANCHESTER, TN; Owner: COFFEE COUNTY BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WNSI (810 AM; 50 kW; JACKSONVILLE, AL; Owner: UNITED BROADCASTING NETWORK, INC.)
- WAMB (1160 AM; 50 kW; DONELSON, TN; Owner: GREAT SOUTHERN BROADCASTING COMPANY, INC.)
- WGOW (1150 AM; 5 kW; CHATTANOOGA, TN; Owner: CITADEL BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WDOD (1310 AM; 5 kW; CHATTANOOGA, TN; Owner: WDOD OF CHATTANOOGA, INC.)
- WKDA (1200 AM; 50 kW; NASHVILLE, TN; Owner: RADIO NASHVILLE, INC.)
Strongest FM radio stations in Tracy City:
- WSGM (104.7 FM; COALMONT, TN; Owner: CUMBERLAND COMMUNICATION CORPORATION)
- WUSY (100.7 FM; CLEVELAND, TN; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WMXF-FM (97.3 FM; SOUTH PITTSBURG, TN; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WMBW (88.9 FM; CHATTANOOGA, TN; Owner: THE MOODY BIBLE INSTITUTE OF CHICAGO)
- WDEF-FM (92.3 FM; CHATTANOOGA, TN; Owner: JACKSON TELECASTERS, INC.)
- WDOD-FM (96.5 FM; CHATTANOOGA, TN; Owner: WDOD OF CHATTANOOGA, INC.)
- WSKZ (106.5 FM; CHATTANOOGA, TN; Owner: CITADEL BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- W257AZ (99.3 FM; LOOKOUT MOUNTAIN, TN; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WOGT (107.9 FM; EAST RIDGE, TN; Owner: CITADEL BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WBDX (102.7 FM; TRENTON, GA; Owner: PARTNERS FOR CHRISTIAN RADIO, INC.)
- W278AC (103.5 FM; WALDEN, TN; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WSMC-FM (90.5 FM; COLLEGEDALE, TN; Owner: SOUTHERN COLLEGE OF SEVENTH-DAY ADVT)
- WUTC (88.1 FM; CHATTANOOGA, TN; Owner: UNIVERSITY OF TENNESSEE)
- WDYN (89.7 FM; CHATTANOOGA, TN; Owner: TENNESSEE TEMPLE UNIVERSITY)
- WKXJ (98.1 FM; SIGNAL MOUNTAIN, TN; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- W268AA (101.5 FM; FALLING WATER, TN; Owner: S/WEST FLORIDA COMMUNITY RADIO, INC.)
- WWTN (99.7 FM; MANCHESTER, TN; Owner: CUMULUS LICENSING CORP.)
- W203AZ (88.5 FM; FAIRMOUNT, TN; Owner: CALVARY CHAPEL OF TWIN FALLS, INC.)
- W211BG (90.1 FM; WALDEN, TN; Owner: EDUCATIONAL MEDIA FOUNDATION)
- WUSX (93.3 FM; TULLAHOMA, TN; Owner: TENNNESSE VALLEY RADIO, INC)
TV broadcast stations around Tracy City:
- WFLI-TV (Channel 53; CLEVELAND, TN; Owner: CHATTANOOGA MEDIA HOLDINGS, L.L.C.)
- WDSI-TV (Channel 61; CHATTANOOGA, TN; Owner: WDSI LICENSE CORP.)
- WDEF-TV (Channel 12; CHATTANOOGA, TN; Owner: MEDIA GENERAL COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- WTCI (Channel 45; CHATTANOOGA, TN; Owner: THE GREATER CHATTANOOGA PUBLIC TELEVISION CORP)
- WRCB-TV (Channel 3; CHATTANOOGA, TN; Owner: SARKES TARZIAN, INC.)
- WELF (Channel 23; DALTON, GA; Owner: TRINITY BROADCASTING NETWORK)
- W26BE (Channel 26; CHATTANOOGA, TN; Owner: THREE ANGELS BROADCASTING NETWORK)
- Tracy City, Tennessee
- Fatal accident count22
- Vehicles involved in fatal accidents33
- Fatal accidents involving drunken persons:7
- Persons involved in fatal accidents46
- Pedestrians involved in fatal accidents0
- Tennessee average
- Fatal accident count160
- Vehicles involved in fatal accidents253
- Fatal accidents involving drunken persons56
- Persons involved in fatal accidents415
- Pedestrians involved in fatal accidents16
- National Bridge Inventory (NBI) Statistics
- 5Number of bridges
- 7m23ftTotal length
- $172,000Total costs
- 6,140Total average daily traffic
- 421Total average daily truck traffic
- 10,720Total future (year 2035) average daily traffic
Drinking water stations with addresses in Tracy City and their reported violations in the past:TRACY CITY WATER SYSTEM (Population served: 4,425, Surface water):
Past monitoring violations:
- Follow-up Or Routine LCR Tap M/R - In OCT-01-2006, Contaminant: Lead and Copper Rule. Follow-up actions: St Compliance achieved (OCT-21-2008)
2006 National Fire Incident Reporting System Incidents:
- Fire: 33
- Hazardous Condition: 1
Incident types - Tracy City
|Most common first names in Tracy City, TN among deceased individuals|
|Most common last names in Tracy City, TN among deceased individuals|
|Last name||Count||Lived (average)|
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Electricity (68%)
- Bottled, tank, or LP gas (28%)
- Wood (2%)
- Utility gas (1%)
Tracy City compared to Tennessee state average:
- Median household income below state average.
- Median house value below state average.
- Unemployed percentage below state average.
- Black race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Median age above state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage significantly below state average.
- Length of stay since moving in significantly above state average.
- Number of college students significantly below state average.
- Percentage of population with a bachelor's degree or higher below state average.