|Median resident age:||40.5 years|
|New Mexico median age:||34.6 years|
Tres Piedras CCD income, earnings, and wages data
Estimated median house or condo value in 2012: $106,617 (it was $67,000 in 2000)
- White alone - 690 (68.8%)
- Hispanic - 256 (25.5%)
- Two or more races - 20 (2.0%)
- American Indian alone - 18 (1.8%)
- Asian alone - 8 (0.8%)
- Other race alone - 7 (0.7%)
- Black alone - 4 (0.4%)
Current Local Time: MST time zone
Elevation: 8081 feet
Land area: 739.8 square miles.
Population density: 1.4 people per square mile(very low).
For population 25 years and over in Tres Piedras:
- High school or higher: 88.8%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 39.3%
- Graduate or professional degree: 15.4%
- Unemployed: 4.6%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 32.3 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Tres Piedras CCD:
- Never married: 27.3%
- Now married: 47.5%
- Separated: 3.4%
- Widowed: 3.1%
- Divorced: 22.0%
According to our research of New Mexico and other state lists there were 2 registered sex offenders living in Tres Piedras, New Mexico as of March 29, 2015.
The ratio of number of residents in Tres Piedras to the number of sex offenders is 527 to 1.
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units in 2000:
|Tres Piedras CCD:||0.3% ($199)|
|New Mexico:||0.7% ($699)|
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Santa Fe, NM (61.7 miles , pop. 62,203).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: Albuquerque, NM (108.5 miles , pop. 448,607).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: Phoenix, AZ (409.8 miles , pop. 1,321,045).
Nearest cities: San Cristobal, NM (3.5 miles ), Arroyo Hondo, NM (3.8 miles ), Vallecitas, NM (4.1 miles ), Questa, NM (4.2 miles ), Taos Pueblo, NM (4.3 miles ), Taos, NM (4.4 miles ), Ranchos de Taos, NM (4.4 miles ), Canon, NM (4.4 miles ).
Latitude: 36.55 N, Longitude: 105.85 W
Area code commonly used in this area: 505
Unemployment by year (%)
- Construction (21%)
- Educational services (10%)
- Professional, scientific, and technical services (9%)
- Agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting (7%)
- Real estate and rental and leasing (7%)
- Health care (6%)
- Administrative and support and waste management services (5%)
- Health care (14%)
- Public administration (12%)
- Professional, scientific, and technical services (10%)
- Construction (9%)
- Educational services (9%)
- Administrative and support and waste management services (6%)
- Accommodation and food services (6%)
- Other sales and related workers including supervisors (10%)
- Construction laborers (9%)
- Art and design workers (6%)
- Architects, surveyors, and cartographers (4%)
- Other teachers and instructors, education, training, and library occupations (4%)
- Supervisors of construction and extraction workers (4%)
- Cooks and food preparation workers (4%)
- Counselors, social workers, and other community and social service specialists (13%)
- Other office and administrative support workers including supervisors (8%)
- Building and grounds cleaning and maintenance occupations (7%)
- Other production occupations including supervisors (6%)
- Textile, apparel, and furnishings workers (5%)
- Registered nurses (4%)
- Bookkeeping, accounting, and auditing clerks (4%)
Average climate in Tres Piedras, New Mexico
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Earthquake activity:Tres Piedras-area historical earthquake activity is near New Mexico state average. It is 136% greater than the overall U.S. average.
On 8/10/2005 at 22:08:22, a magnitude 5.0 (5.0 MB, 4.7 MS, 5.0 MW, Depth: 3.1 mi, Class: Moderate, Intensity: VI - VII) earthquake occurred 65.2 miles away from the city center
On 1/3/2007 at 14:34:38, a magnitude 4.6 (4.6 MB, 4.4 MW, 4.4 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi, Class: Light, Intensity: IV - V) earthquake occurred 63.8 miles away from Tres Piedras center
On 8/1/2004 at 06:50:47, a magnitude 4.4 (4.4 MB, 4.3 MW, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 47.0 miles away from the city center
On 9/5/2001 at 10:52:07, a magnitude 4.5 (4.5 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 79.6 miles away from the city center
On 3/22/2004 at 12:09:56, a magnitude 4.4 (4.4 MB, 4.4 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 59.3 miles away from Tres Piedras center
On 6/28/1992 at 11:57:34, a magnitude 7.6 (6.2 MB, 7.6 MS, 7.3 MW, Depth: 0.7 mi, Class: Major, Intensity: VIII - XII) earthquake occurred 623.8 miles away from the city center, causing 3 deaths (1 shaking deaths, 2 other deaths) and 400 injuries, causing $100,000,000 total damage and $40,000,000 insured losses
Magnitude types: regional Lg-wave magnitude (LG), body-wave magnitude (MB), surface-wave magnitude (MS), moment magnitude (MW)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Taos County (6) is smaller than the US average (12).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 4
Emergencies Declared: 2
Causes of natural disasters: Fires: 2, Floods: 2, Snows: 2, Storms: 2, Hurricane: 1, Winter Storm: 1 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Tres Piedras:
- Adams State University (about 64 miles; Alamosa, CO; Full-time enrollment: 2,805)
- Santa Fe Community College (about 68 miles; Santa Fe, NM; FT enrollment: 3,047)
- New Mexico Highlands University (about 75 miles; Las Vegas, NM; FT enrollment: 2,931)
- University of Phoenix-Albuquerque Campus (about 103 miles; Albuquerque, NM; FT enrollment: 2,335)
- University of New Mexico-Main Campus (about 111 miles; Albuquerque, NM; FT enrollment: 23,042)
- Central New Mexico Community College (about 112 miles; Albuquerque, NM; FT enrollment: 19,398)
- Fort Lewis College (about 123 miles; Durango, CO; FT enrollment: 3,631)
Notable locations in Tres Piedras: Wissmath Craters (A), Pina Game Water Unit (B), Sandoval (C), Chambers (D), Chiflo Game Water Unit (E), McGregor Antelope Guzzler Study Site (F), Maestas Antelope Guzzler Study Site (G), Tres Piedras District Ranger Office (H), Drake Ranch (I), Maestas Antelope Guzzler (J), McGreggor Antelope Guzzler (K), Rush (L), Ojo Caliente Mineral Springs Historic Site (M), Howiri-Ouinge Historic Site (N), Tres Piedras Weather Station (O), Ojo Caliente Weather Station (P), Cerros de Taos Ranch (Q), Ojo Caliente Volunteer Fire Department (R), Tres Piedras Fire Department (S), Ojo Caliente (T). Display/hide their locations on the map
Church in Tres Piedras: Chapel of Santa Cruz de Ojo Caliente Historic Site (A). Display/hide its location on the map
Cemetery: Ojo Caliente Cemetery (1). Display/hide its location on the map
Lakes and reservoirs: Indian Lake (A), Cissell Lake (B), Wilson Lake (C), Punche Lake (D), Taoses Tank (E), Sertion Three Tank (F), Aquate Tank (G), Section Thirty One Tank (H). Display/hide their locations on the map
Streams, rivers, and creeks: Scott Arroyo (A), Arroyo Hondo (B), Cañada de los Comanches (C), Cañada Embudo (D), Rito Cieneguilla (E), Tres Piedras Arroyo (F), Cañada Pueblo (G), Ashbury Arroyo (H), Arroyo Rancho (I). Display/hide their locations on the map
Parks in Tres Piedras include: Pilar Historical Marker (1), Rio Grande Rift Historical Marker (2), Rio Grande Gorge Historical Marker (3), Pueblo Revolt Tricentennial Historical Marker (4), Ojo Caliente Historical Marker (5), Vasquez de Coronados Route Historical Marker (6). Display/hide their locations on the map
Air pollution and air quality trends
(lower is better)
Air Quality Index (AQI) level in 2012 was 23.1. This is significantly better than average.
Particulate Matter (PM10) [µg/m3] level in 2012 was 17.6. This is about average. Closest monitor was 18.1 miles away from the city center.
|This place:||1.7 people|
|New Mexico:||2.5 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
Likely homosexual households (counted as self-reported same-sex unmarried-partner households)
- Lesbian couples: 0.5% of all households
- Gay men: 0.2% of all households
Residents with income below the poverty level in 2009:
Residents with income below 50% of the poverty level in 2009:
Tres Piedras compared to New Mexico state average:
- Median household income significantly below state average.
- Median house value significantly below state average.
- Unemployed percentage below state average.
- Black race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage below state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage significantly below state average.
- Renting percentage below state average.
- Length of stay since moving in significantly above state average.
- Number of rooms per house significantly below state average.
- House age significantly below state average.
- Percentage of population with a bachelor's degree or higher significantly above state average.
Educational Attainment (%) in 2000
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2000
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Wood (51%)
- Bottled, tank, or LP gas (30%)
- Solar energy (13%)
- Utility gas (2%)
- Electricity (2%)
- Fuel oil, kerosene, etc. (1%)
Presidential Elections Results
1996 Presidential Elections Results
2000 Presidential Elections Results
2004 Presidential Elections Results
2008 Presidential Elections Results
2012 Presidential Elections Results
Graphs represent county-level data. Detailed 2008 Election Results
Religion statistics for Tres Piedras CCD (based on Taos County data)Percentage of population affiliated with a religious congregations: 69.80%
Breakdown of population affiliated with a religious congregations
|Name||Catholic Church||Southern Baptist Convention||LDS (Mormon) Church||Presbyterian Church (USA)||Jewish|
|Name||Assemblies of God||Pentecostal Church of God||Churches of Christ||Episcopal Church||Other|
Tables represent county-level data.
Food Environment Statistics:
|Taos County:||2.22 / 10,000 pop.|
|New Mexico:||1.44 / 10,000 pop.|
|Taos County:||0.63 / 10,000 pop.|
|New Mexico:||0.32 / 10,000 pop.|
|Taos County:||4.13 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||4.06 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||17.46 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||7.12 / 10,000 pop.|
5.66% of this county's 2011 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2010 ($36,619 average adjusted gross income)
|New Mexico average:||6.50%|
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved from foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2010 and 2011:
|from Bernalillo County, NM||0.67% ($22,550 average AGI)|
|from Santa Fe County, NM||0.44% ($42,404)|
|from Rio Arriba County, NM||0.27% ($21,094)|
5.89% of this county's 2010 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2011 ($28,225 average adjusted gross income)
|New Mexico average:||6.43%|
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved to foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2010 and 2011:
Strongest AM radio stations in Tres Piedras:
- KKOB (770 AM; 50 kW; ALBUQUERQUE, NM; Owner: CITADEL BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- KDCE (950 AM; 4 kW; ESPANOLA, NM; Owner: RICHARD L. GARCIA BROADCASTING, INC.)
- KTNN (660 AM; 50 kW; WINDOW ROCK, AZ; Owner: THE NAVAJO NATION)
- KSWV (810 AM; 5 kW; SANTA FE, NM; Owner: LA VOZ BROADCASTING CO., INC.)
- KNMX (540 AM; 5 kW; LAS VEGAS, NM; Owner: SANGRE DE CRISTO B/DCASTING CO, INC)
- KHAC (880 AM; 43 kW; TSE BONITO, NM; Owner: WESTERN INDIAN MINISTRIES, INC.)
- KOA (850 AM; 50 kW; DENVER, CO; Owner: JACOR BROADCASTING OF COLORADO, INC.)
- KLTT (670 AM; 50 kW; COMMERCE CITY, CO; Owner: KLZ RADIO, INC.)
- KICA (980 AM; 50 kW; CLOVIS, NM; Owner: BROADCAST ENTERTAINMENT CORPORATION)
- KTRC (1260 AM; 5 kW; SANTA FE, NM; Owner: AGM NEVADA, LLC)
- KKZN (760 AM; 50 kW; THORNTON, CO; Owner: JACOR BROADCASTING OF COLORADO, INC.)
- KNZZ (1100 AM; 50 kW; GRAND JUNCTION, CO; Owner: M B C GRAND BROADCASTING, INC.)
- KINF (1020 AM; 50 kW; ROSWELL, NM; Owner: JAMES CRYSTAL HOLDINGS OF NEW MEXICO, INC.)
Strongest FM radio stations in Tres Piedras:
- KTAO (101.9 FM; TAOS, NM; Owner: TAOS COMMUNICATIONS CORPORATION)
- K244DO (96.7 FM; ALAMOSA, ETC., CO; Owner: SAN LUIS VALLEY TELEVISION, INC.)
- KRZA (88.7 FM; ALAMOSA, CO; Owner: EQUAL REPRESENTATION/MEDIA ADVOCACY)
- KBOM (94.7 FM; SANTA FE, NM; Owner: AGM NEVADA, LLC)
- KKIT (99.1 FM; ANGEL FIRE, NM; Owner: DMC BROADCASTING, INC.)
- K216CT (91.1 FM; EAGLE NEST, NM; Owner: UNIVERSITY OF NEW MEXICO)
- K212EG (90.3 FM; QUESTA, NM; Owner: BD. OF EDUCATION OF ALBUQUERQUE)
- KZNM (106.7 FM; LOS ALAMOS, NM; Owner: AGM NEVADA, LLC)
- KSFQ (101.1 FM; WHITE ROCK, NM; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- KQBA (107.5 FM; LOS ALAMOS, NM; Owner: HUTTON MEDIA, L.L.C.)
- KRDR (90.1 FM; RED RIVER, NM; Owner: RED RIVER RADIO, INC.)
- K278AE (103.5 FM; ALAMOSA, CO; Owner: FRANK A. SHULTZ, III)
- Fatal accident count: 9
- Vehicles involved in fatal accidents: 14
- Fatal accidents caused by drunken drivers: 1
- Fatalities: 10
- Persons involved in fatal accidents: 27
- Pedestrians involved in fatal accidents: 0
- Fatal accident count: 129
- Vehicles involved in fatal accidents: 185
- Fatal accidents caused by drunken drivers: 54
- Fatalities: 142
- Persons involved in fatal accidents: 352
- Pedestrians involved in fatal accidents: 22
FCC Registered Cell Phone Towers:1
- Located Near The Junction Of Us Hwy's 64 & 285 (Lat: 36.648361 Lon: -105.966694), Structure height: 19.2 m, Call Sign: KNKR309
Assigned Frequencies: 880.020 MHz, 891.510 MHz, 835.020 MHz, 846.510 MHz
Cancellation Date: 06/24/1999
Registrant: John D. Pellegrin, 1140 Connecticut Avenue, N.W., Suite 606, Washington, DC 20036
FCC Registered Antenna Towers:2
- Stephanie R Wilson, Ne Corner Of Hwy 64/Hwy 285 Jct (Lat: 36.646028 Lon: -105.966694), Type: 30.4, Structure height: 35055 m, Overall height: 24.8 m
Registrant: 9189494551, Stephanie.Wilson@branchcomm.Net, 1516 S. BOSTON AVE, STE 115
- Stephanie R Wilson, Ne Corner Of Hwy 64/Hwy 285 Jct (Lat: 36.646028 Lon: -105.966694), Type: 30.4, Structure height: 35055 m, Overall height: 24.8 m
Registrant: 9189494551, Stephanie.Wilson@branchcomm.Net, 1516 S. BOSTON AVE, STE 215
FCC Registered Commercial Land Mobile Towers:1 (See the full list of FCC Registered Commercial Land Mobile Towers in Tres Piedras, NM)
FCC Registered Private Land Mobile Towers:8 (See the full list of FCC Registered Private Land Mobile Towers)
FCC Registered Microwave Towers:8 (See the full list of FCC Registered Microwave Towers in this town)
FCC Registered Paging Towers:1 (See the full list of FCC Registered Paging Towers)
FCC Registered Amateur Radio Licenses:7
- Call Sign: KC5LFT, Licensee ID: L00170913
Grant Date: 09/17/2004, Expiration Date: 12/09/2014, Certifier: Louis L Osborn
Registrant: Louis L Osborn, Tres Piedras, NM 87577
- Call Sign: KC5TAW, Licensee ID: L00217218
Grant Date: 11/30/2005, Expiration Date: 02/28/2016, Certifier: Diane T Osborn
Registrant: Diane T Osborn, Tres Piedras, NM 87577
- Call Sign: W5OEI, Licensee ID: L01458688
Grant Date: 01/13/2009, Expiration Date: 03/09/2019, Certifier: James F Cope
Registrant: James F Cope, Tres Piedras, NM 87577-0170
- Call Sign: WB5RMB
Grant Date: 07/10/1996, Expiration Date: 07/10/2006, Cancellation Date: 07/11/2008
Registrant: Bobby L Carey, Pob168, Tres Piedras, NM 87577
- Call Sign: WB5WGO
Grant Date: 03/08/1988, Expiration Date: 03/08/1998, Cancellation Date: 03/09/2000
Registrant: Lorraine H Carey, Tres Piedras, NM 87577
- Call Sign: KF5AQB, Licensee ID: L01484739
Grant Date: 04/21/2009, Expiration Date: 04/21/2019, Certifier: Christian R Johnson
Registrant: Christian R Johnson, Tres Piedras, NM 87577
- Call Sign: NM5CW, Previous Call Sign: AE5JT, Licensee ID: L00916818
Grant Date: 06/05/2012, Expiration Date: 06/05/2022, Certifier: Christopher Williamson
Registrant: Christopher Williamson Mr, 23 Amarillo Road, Tres Piedras, NM 87577-0234
FAA Registered Aircraft:1
- Aircraft: POWRACHUTE PEGASUS (Category: Land, Seats: 2, Weight: Up to 12,499 Pounds), Engine: ROTAX 582 (65 HP) (2 Cycle)
N-Number: 7017J , Serial Number: A028PEG, Year manufactured: 2002, Airworthiness Date: 04/13/2007
Registrant (Individual): William L Allen, Po Box 105, Tres Piedras, NM 87577
Tres Piedras on our top lists:
- #57 on the list of "Top 100 highest located cities"
- #32 on the list of "Top 101 counties with highest percentage of residents voting for Kerry (Democrat) in the 2004 Presidential Election"
- #53 on the list of "Top 101 counties with the largest number of people without health insurance coverage in 2000"