|Median resident age:||37.9 years|
|Alabama median age:||35.8 years|
Zip code: 35901
Turkeytown CCD income, earnings, and wages data
Estimated median house or condo value in 2012: $95,671 (it was $70,300 in 2000)
- White alone - 3,445 (90.8%)
- Black alone - 288 (7.6%)
- Hispanic - 24 (0.6%)
- Two or more races - 17 (0.4%)
- American Indian alone - 12 (0.3%)
- Asian alone - 10 (0.3%)
Current Local Time: CST time zone
Elevation: 547 feet
Land area: 33.8 square miles.
Population density: 112 people per square mile(very low).
For population 25 years and over in Turkeytown:
- High school or higher: 79.7%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 10.4%
- Graduate or professional degree: 4.3%
- Unemployed: 5.0%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 32.3 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Turkeytown CCD:
- Never married: 19.7%
- Now married: 65.0%
- Separated: 1.7%
- Widowed: 5.9%
- Divorced: 9.4%
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units in 2000:
|Turkeytown CCD:||0.3% ($221)|
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Huntsville, AL (59.7 miles , pop. 158,216).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: Birmingham, AL (64.8 miles , pop. 242,820).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: Chicago, IL (546.1 miles , pop. 2,896,016).
Nearest cities: Coats Bend, AL (1.2 miles ), Tidmore Bend, AL (1.8 miles ), Lookout Mountain, AL (2.2 miles ), Ballplay, AL (2.3 miles ), Hokes Bluff, AL (2.4 miles ), Reece City, AL (2.8 miles ), Gadsden, AL (2.8 miles ), Wills Valley, AL (2.8 miles ).
Latitude: 34.07 N, Longitude: 85.90 W
Area code commonly used in this area: 256
Unemployment by year (%)
- Construction (21%)
- Plastics and rubber products (8%)
- Metal and metal products (7%)
- Truck transportation (7%)
- Public administration (6%)
- Administrative and support and waste management services (4%)
- Motor vehicle and parts dealers (4%)
- Health care (22%)
- Educational services (14%)
- Public administration (6%)
- Food and beverage stores (6%)
- Accommodation and food services (6%)
- Professional, scientific, and technical services (5%)
- Finance and insurance (4%)
- Driver/sales workers and truck drivers (9%)
- Other production occupations including supervisors (9%)
- Construction trades workers except carpenters, electricians, painters, plumbers, and construction laborers (7%)
- Electrical equipment mechanics and other installation, maintenance, and repair occupations including supervisors (6%)
- Vehicle and mobile equipment mechanics, installers, and repairers (6%)
- Construction laborers (5%)
- Metal workers and plastic workers (5%)
- Secretaries and administrative assistants (11%)
- Registered nurses (8%)
- Preschool, kindergarten, elementary and middle school teachers (8%)
- Other sales and related workers including supervisors (6%)
- Health technologists and technicians (5%)
- Business operations specialists (4%)
- Cashiers (4%)
Average climate in Turkeytown, Alabama
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Turkeytown-area historical tornado activity is slightly above Alabama state average. It is 142% greater than the overall U.S. average.
On 11/18/1957, a category F4 (max. wind speeds 207-260 mph) tornado 23.1 miles away from the Turkeytown place center killed 3 people and injured 12 people and caused between $50,000 and $500,000 in damages.
On 11/24/2001, a category F4 tornado 23.3 miles away from the place center injured 22 people and caused $1 million in damages.
Earthquake activity:Turkeytown-area historical earthquake activity is near Alabama state average. It is 79% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 4/29/2003 at 08:59:39, a magnitude 4.9 (4.4 MB, 4.6 MW, 4.9 LG, Depth: 12.2 mi, Class: Light, Intensity: IV - V) earthquake occurred 33.0 miles away from the city center
On 1/18/1999 at 07:00:53, a magnitude 4.8 (4.8 MB, 4.0 LG, Depth: 0.6 mi) earthquake occurred 90.7 miles away from Turkeytown center
On 6/24/1975 at 11:11:36, a magnitude 4.5 (4.5 MB) earthquake occurred 114.2 miles away from the city center
On 8/2/1974 at 08:52:09, a magnitude 4.9 (4.3 MB, 4.9 LG) earthquake occurred 196.0 miles away from the city center
On 11/30/1973 at 07:48:41, a magnitude 4.7 (4.7 MB, 4.6 ML) earthquake occurred 162.2 miles away from Turkeytown center
On 10/24/1997 at 08:35:17, a magnitude 4.9 (4.8 MB, 4.2 MS, 4.9 LG, Depth: 6.2 mi) earthquake occurred 219.1 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: regional Lg-wave magnitude (LG), body-wave magnitude (MB), local magnitude (ML), surface-wave magnitude (MS), moment magnitude (MW)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Etowah County (21) is a lot greater than the US average (12).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 15
Emergencies Declared: 5
Causes of natural disasters: Storms: 11, Floods: 9, Tornadoes: 9, Hurricanes: 4, Winds: 3, Winter Storms: 2, Drought: 1, Fire: 1, Freeze: 1, Snowfall: 1 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Hospitals and medical centers near Turkeytown:
- NORTHSIDE HEALTH CARE (Nursing Home, about 5 miles away; GADSDEN, AL)
- MOUNTAIN VIEW HOSPITAL (Hospital, about 6 miles away; GADSDEN, AL)
- GADSDEN REGIONAL MEDICAL CENTER Acute Care Hospitals (about 7 miles away; GADSDEN, AL)
- PCD OF GADSDEN (Dialysis Facility, about 7 miles away; GADSDEN, AL)
- SOUTHERNCARE GADSDEN (Hospital, about 7 miles away; GADSDEN, AL)
- ETOWAH COUNTY HOME CARE (Home Health Center, about 8 miles away; GADSDEN, AL)
- COOSA VALLEY HEALTH CARE (Nursing Home, about 9 miles away; GLENCOE, AL)
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Turkeytown:
- Gadsden State Community College (about 8 miles; Gadsden, AL; Full-time enrollment: 4,650)
- Snead State Community College (about 19 miles; Boaz, AL; FT enrollment: 2,023)
- Jacksonville State University (about 19 miles; Jacksonville, AL; FT enrollment: 7,566)
- Northeast Alabama Community College (about 33 miles; Rainsville, AL; FT enrollment: 2,409)
- Georgia Highlands College (about 41 miles; Rome, GA; FT enrollment: 4,071)
- Georgia Northwestern Technical College (about 43 miles; Rome, GA; FT enrollment: 4,629)
- Berry College (about 44 miles; Mount Berry, GA; FT enrollment: 2,102)
Notable locations in Turkeytown: Mountain View Fish Camp (A), Mountain View Camp (B), Tidmore Bend Volunteer Fire Department (C), Coates Bend Volunteer Fire Department (D). Display/hide their locations on the map
Churches in Turkeytown include: Mount Zion Church (A), Pascal Church (B), Ebenezer Baptist Church (C), Turkeytown Methodist Church (D), Full Gospel Tabernacle (E), Faith Baptist Church (F), Advent Church (G), Lebanon Church (H), Woodland Church (I). Display/hide their locations on the map
Cemeteries: Shepard Cemetery (1), Lebanon Cemetery (2), Croft Cemetery (3), Beulah Cemetery (4). Display/hide their locations on the map
Reservoirs: Estess Lake (A), Thorval Lake (B). Display/hide their locations on the map
Creeks: Dry Creek (A), Turkeytown Creek (B). Display/hide their locations on the map
Air pollution and air quality trends
(lower is better)
Air Quality Index (AQI) level in 2012 was 48.6. This is significantly better than average.
Particulate Matter (PM10) [µg/m3] level in 2005 was 23.7. This is about average. Closest monitor was 7.7 miles away from the city center.
Particulate Matter (PM2.5) [µg/m3] level in 2012 was 9.58. This is about average. Closest monitor was 7.6 miles away from the city center.
|This place:||2.6 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
Likely homosexual households (counted as self-reported same-sex unmarried-partner households)
- Lesbian couples: 0.3% of all households
- Gay men: 0.2% of all households
Residents with income below the poverty level in 2009:
Residents with income below 50% of the poverty level in 2009:
Turkeytown compared to Alabama state average:
- Median house value below state average.
- Unemployed percentage below state average.
- Black race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Median age below state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage significantly below state average.
- Renting percentage below state average.
- Length of stay since moving in significantly above state average.
- Number of rooms per house significantly below state average.
- House age significantly below state average.
Educational Attainment (%) in 2000
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2000
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Electricity (41%)
- Utility gas (30%)
- Bottled, tank, or LP gas (28%)
- Wood (1%)
Presidential Elections Results
1996 Presidential Elections Results
2000 Presidential Elections Results
2004 Presidential Elections Results
2008 Presidential Elections Results
2012 Presidential Elections Results
Graphs represent county-level data. Detailed 2008 Election Results
Religion statistics for Turkeytown CCD (based on Etowah County data)Percentage of population affiliated with a religious congregations: 68.31%
Breakdown of population affiliated with a religious congregations
|Name||Southern Baptist Convention||United Methodist Church||Church of God (Cleveland, Tennessee)||Catholic Church||Churches of Christ|
|Name||Assemblies of God||Episcopal Church||Presbyterian Church in America||LDS (Mormon) Church||Other|
Tables represent county-level data.
Food Environment Statistics:
|Etowah County:||2.43 / 10,000 pop.|
|Alabama:||1.89 / 10,000 pop.|
|Etowah County:||0.78 / 10,000 pop.|
|Alabama:||0.65 / 10,000 pop.|
|Etowah County:||6.21 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||6.32 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||4.95 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||5.75 / 10,000 pop.|
4.61% of this county's 2011 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2010 ($30,729 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved from foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2010 and 2011:
|from Marshall County, AL||0.66% ($25,772 average AGI)|
|from Calhoun County, AL||0.52% ($32,363)|
|from St. Clair County, AL||0.32% ($31,927)|
4.79% of this county's 2010 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2011 ($29,723 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved to foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2010 and 2011:
Strongest AM radio stations in Turkeytown:
- WNSI (810 AM; 50 kW; JACKSONVILLE, AL; Owner: UNITED BROADCASTING NETWORK, INC.)
- WAAX (570 AM; 5 kW; GADSDEN, AL; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WJBY (930 AM; 5 kW; RAINBOW CITY, AL; Owner: GADSDEN BROADCASTING COMPANY, INC.)
- WGAD (1350 AM; 5 kW; GADSDEN, AL; Owner: DEKALB COUNTY COMMUNITY RADIO, INC.)
- WKNG (1060 AM; daytime; 50 kW; TALLAPOOSA, GA; Owner: WKNG, INC.)
- WDJC (850 AM; 50 kW; BIRMINGHAM, AL; Owner: KIMTRON, INC.)
- WJOX (690 AM; 50 kW; BIRMINGHAM, AL; Owner: CITADEL BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WWAM (820 AM; daytime; 50 kW; JASPER, TN; Owner: SHELTON BROADCASTING SYSTEM)
- WGST (640 AM; 50 kW; ATLANTA, GA; Owner: CITICASTERS LICENSES, L.P.)
- WAPI (1070 AM; 50 kW; BIRMINGHAM, AL; Owner: CITADEL BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WMGJ (1240 AM; 1 kW; GADSDEN, AL; Owner: FLOYD L. DONALD BROADCASTING CO. INC)
- WFTD (1080 AM; daytime; 50 kW; MARIETTA, GA; Owner: PRIETO ENTERPRISES, INC.)
- WFLI (1070 AM; 50 kW; LOOKOUT MOUNTAIN, TN; Owner: WFLI, INC.)
Strongest FM radio stations in Turkeytown:
- WRHY (105.9 FM; CENTRE, AL; Owner: WILLIAMS COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- WTBB (89.9 FM; GADSDEN, AL; Owner: TRINITY CHRISTIAN ACADEMY)
- WQSB (105.1 FM; ALBERTVILLE, AL; Owner: SAND MOUNTAIN BROADCASTING SERVICE, INC.)
- WSGN (91.5 FM; GADSDEN, AL; Owner: GADSDEN STATE COMMUNITY COLLEGE)
- WGMZ (93.1 FM; GLENCOE, AL; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WLJS-FM (91.9 FM; JACKSONVILLE, AL; Owner: BD. OF TRUSTEES/JACKSONVILLE STATE UNIVERSITY)
- WKXX (102.9 FM; ATTALLA, AL; Owner: BROADCAST MEDIA LLC)
- WTBJ (91.3 FM; OXFORD, AL; Owner: TRINITY CHRISTIAN ACADEMY)
- WVOK-FM (97.9 FM; OXFORD, AL; Owner: WOODARD BROADCASTING CO. INC.)
- WJCK (88.3 FM; PIEDMONT, AL; Owner: IMMANUEL BROADCASTING NETWORK, INC.)
- WRAX (107.7 FM; BIRMINGHAM, AL; Owner: CITADEL BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- W215BA (90.9 FM; ROME, GA; Owner: PENSACOLA CHRISTIAN COLLEGE, INC.)
- W269AX (101.7 FM; ANNISTON, AL; Owner: BIBLE BROADCASTING NETWORK, INC.)
- WTWX-FM (95.9 FM; GUNTERSVILLE, AL; Owner: GUNTERSVILLE BROADCASTING CO., INC.)
- WGRW (90.7 FM; ANNISTON, AL; Owner: WORD WORKS, INC.)
- WCKS (102.7 FM; FRUITHURST, AL; Owner: WCKS, INC.)
- WKCX (97.7 FM; ROME, GA; Owner: BRIAR CREEK BROADCASTING CORP.)
- WAFN-FM (92.7 FM; ARAB, AL; Owner: FUN MEDIA GROUP, INC.)
- W269AN (101.7 FM; GADSDEN, AL; Owner: JOHN S. LA TOUR/J & J B/C)
TV broadcast stations around Turkeytown:
- WPXH (Channel 44; GADSDEN, AL; Owner: PAXSON COMMUNICATIONS LICENSE COMPANY, LLC)
- W64BJ (Channel 64; SCOTTSBORO, AL; Owner: TRINITY BROADCASTING NETWORK)
- WTJP (Channel 60; GADSDEN, AL; Owner: TRINITY BROADCASTING NETWORK)
- W15AP (Channel 15; GADSDEN, AL; Owner: WBRC LICENSE, INC.)
Total length: 0 meters
Total costs: $1,845,000
Total average daily traffic: 16,610
Total average daily truck traffic: 1,661
Total future (year 2029) average daily traffic: 27,220
Turkeytown on our top lists:
- #79 on the list of "Top 101 cities with largest percentage of males working in industry: Music stores"
- #98 on the list of "Top 101 cities with largest percentage of females in occupations: Engineers"
- #27 on the list of "Top 101 counties with the highest number of deaths per 1000 residents 2000-2003 (pop. 50,000+)"