We are giving away $1200 in prizes - enter simply by sending us your own city pictures!
|Median resident age:||33.7 years|
|Kansas median age:||36.0 years|
Zip codes: 67880.
Estimated per capita income in 2013: $26,500 (it was $17,079 in 2000)
Ulysses city income, earnings, and wages data
Estimated median house or condo value in 2013: $93,032 (it was $70,900 in 2000)
Median gross rent in 2013: $547.
Races in Ulysses, KS (2013)
- 2,85345.2%White alone
- 1412.2%Two or more races
- 30.05%American Indian alone
- 20.03%Native Hawaiian and Other
Pacific Islander alone
- 10.02%Black alone
|Southern Accents in KS? (45 replies)|
|Northwest Kansas (9 replies)|
|family relocating to ulysses area (3 replies)|
|Hispanics in Western Kansas (16 replies)|
|Non-KC Area Kansans Perspectives (41 replies)|
|Two Thumbs Up - Taking Care Of Our Own First! (2 replies)|
Latest news from Ulysses, KS collected exclusively by city-data.com from local newspapers, TV, and radio stations
Ancestries: German (14.0%), English (6.0%), United States (5.8%), Irish (5.1%), Scottish (2.3%), Dutch (2.3%).
Current Local Time: CST time zone
Elevation: 3057 feet
Land area: 2.89 square miles.
Population density: 2,168 people per square mile(low).
For population 25 years and over in Ulysses:
- High school or higher: 75.4%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 19.1%
- Graduate or professional degree: 4.6%
- Unemployed: 5.1%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 14.9 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Ulysses city:
- Never married: 23.0%
- Now married: 62.2%
- Separated: 3.2%
- Widowed: 5.6%
- Divorced: 6.0%
665 residents are foreign born (11.1% Latin America).
According to our research of Kansas and other state lists there were 8 registered sex offenders living in Ulysses, Kansas as of October 10, 2015.
The ratio of number of residents in Ulysses to the number of sex offenders is 780 to 1.
The number of registered sex offenders compared to the number of residents in this city is smaller than the state average.
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units with mortgages in 2013: $1,225 (1.2%)
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units with no mortgage in 2013: $987 (1.1%)
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Amarillo, TX (166.9 miles , pop. 173,627).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: Colorado Springs, CO (206.6 miles , pop. 360,890).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: Dallas, TX (419.5 miles , pop. 1,188,580).
Nearest cities: Moscow, KS (4.4 miles ), Johnson City, KS (4.7 miles ), Satanta, KS (4.8 miles ), Lakin, KS (5.0 miles ), Hugoton, KS (5.3 miles ), Sublette, KS (5.4 miles ), Manter, KS (5.4 miles) , Deerfield, KS (5.5 miles ).
Single-family new house construction building permits:
- 1997: 23 buildings, average cost: $91,800
- 1998: 14 buildings, average cost: $134,100
- 1999: 14 buildings, average cost: $134,100
- 2000: 7 buildings, average cost: $110,200
- 2001: 5 buildings, average cost: $59,400
- 2002: 5 buildings, average cost: $87,800
- 2003: 6 buildings, average cost: $180,700
- 2004: 2 buildings, average cost: $168,100
- 2005: 2 buildings, average cost: $135,000
- 2006: 2 buildings, average cost: $46,800
- 2007: 2 buildings, average cost: $46,800
- 2008: 6 buildings, average cost: $177,000
- 2009: 5 buildings, average cost: $177,000
- 2010: 5 buildings, average cost: $159,000
- 2011: 3 buildings, average cost: $109,300
Number of permits per 10,000 residents
Average cost (in $1000s)
Latitude: 37.58 N, Longitude: 101.36 W
Daytime population change due to commuting: -117 (-1.9%)
Workers who live and work in this city: 2,092 (70.1%)
Area code: 620
|Crime rates in Ulysses by Year|
|City-data.com crime index (higher means more crime, U.S. average = 291.7)||140.0||129.5||166.2||134.0||122.3||128.9||109.7||101.7||134.1||103.8||154.8||100.3|
(click on a table row to update graph)
Crime rate in Ulysses detailed stats: murders, rapes, robberies, assaults, burglaries, thefts, arson
|Officers per 1,000 residents here:||1.75|
Unemployment by year (%)
Historical housing units
Population change in the 1990s: +467 (+8.5%).
- Manufacturing (24%)
- Construction (16%)
- Agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting (14%)
- Mining, quarrying, and oil and gas extraction (7%)
- Educational services (6%)
- Public administration (5%)
- Transportation and warehousing (5%)
- Health care and social assistance (30%)
- Educational services (24%)
- Information (6%)
- Construction (5%)
- Accommodation and food services (5%)
- Retail trade (5%)
- Agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting (4%)
- Construction and extraction occupations (18%)
- Transportation occupations (16%)
- Farming, fishing, and forestry occupations (10%)
- Office and administrative support occupations (9%)
- Management occupations (9%)
- Material moving occupations (6%)
- Production occupations (5%)
- Office and administrative support occupations (30%)
- Education, training, and library occupations (12%)
- Health diagnosing and treating practitioners and other technical occupations (10%)
- Personal care and service occupations (8%)
- Food preparation and serving related occupations (7%)
- Building and grounds cleaning and maintenance occupations (6%)
- Sales and related occupations (6%)
Average climate in Ulysses, Kansas
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Ulysses-area historical tornado activity is below Kansas state average. It is 18% greater than the overall U.S. average.
On 5/5/1993, a category F4 (max. wind speeds 207-260 mph) tornado 11.7 miles away from the Ulysses city center caused between $500,000 and $5,000,000 in damages.
On 6/6/1951, a category F3 (max. wind speeds 158-206 mph) tornado 0.7 miles away from the city center injured 3 people and caused between $5000 and $50,000 in damages.
Earthquake activity:Ulysses-area historical earthquake activity is significantly above Kansas state average. It is 21% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 2/15/1974 at 13:33:49, a magnitude 4.6 (4.5 MB, 4.6 LG, Class: Light, Intensity: IV - V) earthquake occurred 83.2 miles away from the city center
On 8/10/2005 at 22:08:22, a magnitude 5.0 (5.0 MB, 4.7 MS, 5.0 MW, Depth: 3.1 mi, Class: Moderate, Intensity: VI - VII) earthquake occurred 193.2 miles away from Ulysses center
On 6/16/1978 at 11:46:54, a magnitude 5.3 (4.4 MB, 4.6 UK, 5.3 ML) earthquake occurred 316.5 miles away from the city center
On 1/3/2007 at 14:34:38, a magnitude 4.6 (4.6 MB, 4.4 MW, 4.4 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 197.8 miles away from the city center
On 9/5/2001 at 10:52:07, a magnitude 4.5 (4.5 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 181.8 miles away from Ulysses center
On 3/22/2004 at 12:09:56, a magnitude 4.4 (4.4 MB, 4.4 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 198.8 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: regional Lg-wave magnitude (LG), body-wave magnitude (MB), local magnitude (ML), surface-wave magnitude (MS), moment magnitude (MW)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Grant County (5) is smaller than the US average (12).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 3
Emergencies Declared: 2
Causes of natural disasters: Winter Storms: 3, Flood: 1, Hurricane: 1, Snow: 1 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Hospitals and medical centers in Ulysses:
Airports located in Ulysses:
- Ulysses Airport (Runways: 2, Air Taxi Ops: 400, Itinerant Ops: 6,000, Local Ops: 15,100)
- Eveleigh Farms Airport (Runways: 1)
- Morgan Farms Airport (Runways: 1)
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Ulysses:
- Fort Hays State University (about 142 miles; Hays, KS; Full-time enrollment: 8,728)
- Barton County Community College (about 155 miles; Great Bend, KS; FT enrollment: 4,108)
- Amarillo College (about 168 miles; Amarillo, TX; FT enrollment: 6,622)
- West Texas A & M University (about 183 miles; Canyon, TX; FT enrollment: 6,820)
- Colorado State University-Pueblo (about 183 miles; Pueblo, CO; FT enrollment: 5,993)
- Pueblo Community College (about 186 miles; Pueblo, CO; FT enrollment: 5,329)
- Hutchinson Community College (about 191 miles; Hutchinson, KS; FT enrollment: 4,174)
Public high school in Ulysses:
- Ulysses High School (Students: 486; Location: 501 N MCCALL; Grades: 9-12)
Public elementary/middle schools in Ulysses:
User submitted facts and corrections:
- Please add a link to our City of Ulysses Government website. It is located at http://www.cityofulysses.com.
Notable locations in Ulysses: Bentwood Golf Course (A), Ulysses Police Department (B), Kansas Highway Patrol Troop E - Grant (C), Grant County Sheriff's Department (D), Grant County Courthouse (E), Grant County Sheriff's Department Jail (F), Grant County Emergency Medical Services (G), Critical Care Transfer (H), Grant County Health Department (I), Grant County Library (J), Grant County Museum (K), Ulysses City Hall (L), Grant County Pool and Wellness Facility (M), Grant County Activity Center (N), Grant County Senior Center (O). Display/hide their locations on the map
Churches in Ulysses include: Apostolic Truth Tabernacle (A), Celebration Baptist Church (B), Church of the Nazarene (C), First Assembly of God Church (D), First Baptist Church (E), First Free Will Baptist Church (F), First United Methodist Church (G), Grace Lutheran Church (H), Kingdom Hall of Jehovah's Witnesses (I). Display/hide their locations on the map
Reservoir: Ulysses City Lake (A). Display/hide its location on the map
Hotels: Fort's Cedar View- Inc. (1675 West Patterson Avenue), Wagon Bed Inn (East Highway 160), Sands Motor Inn (622 West Oklahoma Avenue), Single Tree Inn (2033 West Oklahoma Avenue), Peddlers Inn Motel & Restaurant (Highway 160 West).
Courts: Grant County - Clerk Of District Court (108 South Glenn Street), Grant County - Clerk Of District Court- Fairboard Fax Machine (108 South Glenn).
Drinking water stations with addresses in Ulysses and their reported violations in the past:BED ROCK MOBILE HOME PARK (Population served: 150, Groundwater):
Past monitoring violations:
- One routine major monitoring violation
(8.2% for White Non-Hispanic residents, 18.8% for Hispanic or Latino residents, 43.0% for American Indian residents, 36.4% for other race residents)
|This city:||2.8 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
Likely homosexual households (counted as self-reported same-sex unmarried-partner households)
- Lesbian couples: 0.2% of all households
- Gay men: 0.3% of all households
22 people in local jails and other municipal confinement facilities in 2010
64 people in nursing homes in 2000
6 people in local jails and other confinement facilities (including police lockups) in 2000
Ulysses compared to Kansas state average:
- Unemployed percentage significantly below state average.
- Black race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage significantly above state average.
- Length of stay since moving in below state average.
- Number of college students significantly below state average.
Banks with branches in Ulysses (2011 data):
- Grant County Bank: at 201 South Main Street, branch established on 1906/01/01. Info updated 2006/11/03: Bank assets: $201.7 mil, Deposits: $157.7 mil, local headquarters, positive income, Agricultural Specialization, 1 total offices, Holding Company: Grant County Bank Employee Stock Ownership Plan
- The Johnson State Bank: Ulysses Branch at 220 East Oklahoma, branch established on 1995/07/18. Info updated 2006/11/03: Bank assets: $75.8 mil, Deposits: $65.1 mil, headquarters in Johnson, KS, positive income, Agricultural Specialization, 2 total offices, Holding Company: Johnson State Bancshares, Inc.
- The Western State Bank: Ulysses Branch at 1100 West Oklahoma, branch established on 1984/08/06. Info updated 2006/11/03: Bank assets: $468.3 mil, Deposits: $418.3 mil, headquarters in Garden City, KS, positive income, Agricultural Specialization, 10 total offices, Holding Company: Whitcorp Financial Company
Educational Attainment (%) in 2013
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2013
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Utility gas (85%)
- Electricity (14%)
- Bottled, tank, or LP gas (1%)
Presidential Elections Results
Graphs represent county-level data. Detailed 2008 Election Results
Religion statistics for Ulysses city (based on Grant County data)
Food Environment Statistics:
|Grant County:||2.67 / 10,000 pop.|
|Kansas:||1.96 / 10,000 pop.|
|Grant County:||1.34 / 10,000 pop.|
|Kansas:||0.51 / 10,000 pop.|
|Grant County:||5.35 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||3.84 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||13.37 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||7.33 / 10,000 pop.|
|Local government employment and payroll (March 2013)|
|Function||Full-time employees||Monthly full-time payroll||Average yearly full-time wage||Part-time employees||Monthly part-time payroll|
|Other Government Administration||12||$24,170||$24,170||0||$0|
|Judicial and Legal||2||$7,599||$45,594||0||$0|
|Police Protection - Officers||10||$46,500||$55,800||0||$0|
|Streets and Highways||6||$20,980||$41,960||0||$0|
|Solid Waste Management||2||$7,723||$46,338||0||$0|
|Parks and Recreation||6||$19,964||$39,928||3||$3,494|
|Other and Unallocable||3||$10,170||$40,680||0||$0|
|Totals for Government||49||$165,494||$40,529||4||$3,552|
Ulysses government finances - Expenditure in 2006 (per resident):
- Current Operations - General - Other: $695,000 ($110.77)
Police Protection: $620,000 ($98.82)
Regular Highways: $433,000 ($69.01)
Water Utilities: $420,000 ($66.94)
Central Staff Services: $401,000 ($63.91)
Solid Waste Management: $328,000 ($52.28)
Parks and Recreation: $281,000 ($44.79)
Gas Utilities: $212,000 ($33.79)
Sewerage: $140,000 ($22.31)
General Public Buildings: $84,000 ($13.39)
- General - Interest on Debt: $78,000 ($12.43)
- Other Capital Outlay - Regular Highways: $273,000 ($43.51)
Sewerage: $194,000 ($30.92)
Solid Waste Management: $114,000 ($18.17)
Water Utilities: $111,000 ($17.69)
Parks and Recreation: $89,000 ($14.19)
Gas Utilities: $77,000 ($12.27)
Police Protection: $42,000 ($6.69)
Central Staff Services: $26,000 ($4.14)
General - Other: $2,000 ($0.32)
General Public Building: $1,000 ($0.16)
- Total Salaries and Wages: $1,808,000 ($288.17)
- Water Utilities - Interest on Debt: $43,000 ($6.85)
Ulysses government finances - Revenue in 2006 (per resident):
- Charges - Sewerage: $466,000 ($74.27)
Solid Waste Management: $445,000 ($70.93)
Parks and Recreation: $93,000 ($14.82)
All Other: $47,000 ($7.49)
- Miscellaneous - Special Assessments: $125,000 ($19.92)
General Revenue, NEC: $118,000 ($18.81)
Fines and Forfeits: $97,000 ($15.46)
Interest Earnings: $91,000 ($14.50)
Rents: $1,000 ($0.16)
Sale of Property: $1,000 ($0.16)
- Revenue - Water Utilities: $882,000 ($140.58)
Gas Utilities: $562,000 ($89.58)
- State Intergovernmental - Highways: $192,000 ($30.60)
General Local Government Support: $17,000 ($2.71)
- Tax - Property: $1,333,000 ($212.46)
General Sales and Gross Receipts: $797,000 ($127.03)
Public Utilities Sales: $115,000 ($18.33)
Other License: $9,000 ($1.43)
Occupation and Business License, NEC: $8,000 ($1.28)
Alcoholic Beverage License: $3,000 ($0.48)
Ulysses government finances - Debt in 2006 (per resident):
- Long Term Debt - Beginning Outstanding - Unspecified Public Purpose: $2,389,000 ($380.78)
Outstanding Unspecified Public Purpose: $1,991,000 ($317.34)
Retired Unspecified Public Purpose: $398,000 ($63.44)
Ulysses government finances - Cash and Securities in 2006 (per resident):
- Other Funds - Cash and Securities: $4,841,000 ($771.60)
- Sinking Funds - Cash and Securities: $162,000 ($25.82)
6.10% of this county's 2011 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2010 ($34,578 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved from foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2010 and 2011:
|from Finney County, KS||0.42% ($31,727 average AGI)|
|from Stevens County, KS||0.42% ($46,364)|
|from Haskell County, KS||0.38% ($39,400)|
7.12% of this county's 2010 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2011 ($39,611 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved to foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2010 and 2011:
|to Finney County, KS||0.56% ($41,467 average AGI)|
Strongest AM radio stations in Ulysses:
- KULY (1420 AM; 1 kW; ULYSSES, KS; Owner: KBUF PARTNERSHIP)
- KGYN (1210 AM; 50 kW; GUYMON, OK; Owner: TELNS BROADCASTING COMPANY, INC.)
- KSCB (1270 AM; 5 kW; LIBERAL, KS; Owner: SEWARD COUNTY BROADCASTING CO., INC.)
- KLTT (670 AM; 50 kW; COMMERCE CITY, CO; Owner: KLZ RADIO, INC.)
- KOA (850 AM; 50 kW; DENVER, CO; Owner: JACOR BROADCASTING OF COLORADO, INC.)
- KRVN (880 AM; 50 kW; LEXINGTON, NE; Owner: NEBRASKA RURAL RADIO ASSOCIATION)
- KKZN (760 AM; 50 kW; THORNTON, CO; Owner: JACOR BROADCASTING OF COLORADO, INC.)
- KLMR (920 AM; 5 kW; LAMAR, CO; Owner: COMMONWEALTH LICENSE SUBSIDIARY, LLC)
- KMXA (1090 AM; 50 kW; AURORA, CO; Owner: ENTRAVISION HOLDINGS, LLC)
- KICA (980 AM; 50 kW; CLOVIS, NM; Owner: BROADCAST ENTERTAINMENT CORPORATION)
- KKOB (770 AM; 50 kW; ALBUQUERQUE, NM; Owner: CITADEL BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- KGNO (1370 AM; 5 kW; DODGE CITY, KS; Owner: WAITT RADIO, INC.)
- KRMG (740 AM; 50 kW; TULSA, OK; Owner: CXR HOLDINGS, INC.)
Strongest FM radio stations in Ulysses:
- KANZ (91.1 FM; GARDEN CITY, KS; Owner: KANZA SOCIETY, INC)
- KJIL (99.1 FM; COPELAND, KS; Owner: GREAT PLAINS CHRISTIAN RADIO, INC.)
- KYBD (98.1 FM; COPELAND, KS; Owner: MAS COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- KFXX-FM (106.7 FM; HUGOTON, KS; Owner: KBUF PARTNERSHIP)
TV broadcast stations around Ulysses:
- KSWK (Channel 3; LAKIN, KS; Owner: SMOKY HILLS PUBLIC TELEVISION CORP.)
- KSNG (Channel 11; GARDEN CITY, KS; Owner: EMMIS TELEVISION LICENSE CORPORATION OF WICHITA)
- KUPK-TV (Channel 13; GARDEN CITY, KS; Owner: GRAY MIDAMERICA TV LICENSEE CORP.)
Fatal road traffic accident statistics for 1975 - 2013 (per 100,000 population)
FCC Registered Antenna Towers: 78 (See the full list of FCC Registered Antenna Towers)
FCC Registered Commercial Land Mobile Towers: 2 (See the full list of FCC Registered Commercial Land Mobile Towers in Ulysses, KS)
FCC Registered Private Land Mobile Towers: 23 (See the full list of FCC Registered Private Land Mobile Towers)
FCC Registered Microwave Towers: 19 (See the full list of FCC Registered Microwave Towers in this town)
FCC Registered Paging Towers: 7 (See the full list of FCC Registered Paging Towers)
FCC Registered Maritime Coast & Aviation Ground Towers: 3 (See the full list of FCC Registered Maritime Coast & Aviation Ground Towers)
FCC Registered Amateur Radio Licenses: 26 (See the full list of FCC Registered Amateur Radio Licenses in Ulysses)
FAA Registered Aircraft Manufacturers and Dealers: 1 (See the full list of FAA Registered Manufacturers and Dealers in Ulysses)
FAA Registered Aircraft: 75 (See the full list of FAA Registered Aircraft)
2006 National Fire Incident Reporting System Incidents:
- Fire: 68
- Hazardous Condition: 49
- Good Intent Call: 1
Incident types - Ulysses
|Most common first names in Ulysses, KS among deceased individuals|
|Most common last names in Ulysses, KS among deceased individuals|
|Last name||Count||Lived (average)|
|Businesses in Ulysses, KS|
|Ace Hardware||1||Pizza Hut||1|
|H&R Block||1||True Value||1|
Ulysses on our top lists:
- #4 on the list of "Top 101 cities with largest percentage of males working in industry: Warehousing and storage (population 5,000+)"
- #6 on the list of "Top 101 cities with largest percentage of males in occupations: Other food preparation and serving workers including supervisors (population 5,000+)"
- #6 on the list of "Top 101 cities with largest percentage of males in occupations: Sales and related occupations: (population 5,000+)"
- #7 on the list of "Top 101 cities with largest percentage of females working in industry: Mining (population 5,000+)"
- #8 on the list of "Top 101 cities with largest percentage of males working in industry: Broadcasting and telecommunications (population 5,000+)"
- #8 on the list of "Top 101 cities with largest percentage of males working in industry: Machinery, equipment, and supplies merchant wholesalers (population 5,000+)"
- #44 on the list of "Top 101 cities with the highest average wind speeds"
- #49 on the list of "Top 101 cities with largest percentage of workers with very short commute times (9 minutes or less) (population 5,000+)"
- #80 on the list of "Top 101 counties with the highest number of births per 1000 residents 2000-2003"