We are giving away $1200 in prizes - enter simply by sending us your own city pictures!
|Median resident age:||57.1 years|
|Maine median age:||43.0 years|
Zip code: 04216
Estimated per capita income in 2015: $31,405 (it was $24,320 in 2000)
Estimated median house or condo value in 2015: $211,464 (it was $120,800 in 2000)
Mean prices in 2015: All housing units: $166,700; Detached houses: $180,995; Townhouses or other attached units: $206,190; In 2-unit structures: $157,713; In 3-to-4-unit structures: $163,146; In 5-or-more-unit structures: $131,892; Mobile homes: $69,367; Occupied boats, RVs, vans, etc.: $45,450
Races in Upton, ME (2010)
- 11198.2%White alone
- 21.8%American Indian alone
|lepage impeachment starts on tues! (223 replies)|
|the Volvo line.... (160 replies)|
|Unorganized Territories in Maine... (33 replies)|
|Where (and when) to see moose near Bethel (10 replies)|
|Lyme Map Bangor Daily News (55 replies)|
|great hiking in Maine (51 replies)|
Latest news from Upton, ME collected exclusively by city-data.com from local newspapers, TV, and radio stations
Ancestries: English (24.2%), French (24.2%), Scottish (17.7%), Irish (14.5%), Italian (6.5%), United States (4.8%).
Current Local Time: EST time zone
Incorporated on 02/09/1860
Elevation: 1722 feet
Land area: 39.8 square miles.
Population density: 2.8 people per square mile(very low).
For population 25 years and over in Upton:
- High school or higher: 90.9%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 10.9%
- Graduate or professional degree: 3.6%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 29.6 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Upton town:
- Never married: 3.6%
- Now married: 81.8%
- Separated: 0.0%
- Widowed: 0.0%
- Divorced: 14.5%
2 residents are foreign born (3.2% Europe).
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units in 2000:
|Upton town:||0.3% ($350)|
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Portland, ME (81.8 miles , pop. 64,249).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: Boston, MA (166.6 miles , pop. 589,141).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: Bronx, NY (305.8 miles , pop. 1,332,650).
Nearest cities: Errol, NH (2.9 miles ), Andover, ME (3.6 miles ), Dummer, NH (3.9 miles ), Milan, NH (4.0 miles ), Byron, ME (4.1 miles) , Newry, ME (4.2 miles ), Roxbury, ME (4.2 miles ), Berlin, NH (4.5 miles ).
Single-family new house construction building permits:
- 1997: 1 building, cost: $26,800
- 1998: 2 buildings, average cost: $26,800
- 1999: 2 buildings, average cost: $26,800
- 2000: 3 buildings, average cost: $26,800
Number of permits per 10,000 residents
Average cost (in $1000s)
Latitude: 44.73 N, Longitude: 70.99 W
Area code: 207
Unemployment by year (%)
Average climate in Upton, Maine
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Earthquake activity:Upton-area historical earthquake activity is near Maine state average. It is 92% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 4/20/2002 at 10:50:47, a magnitude 5.2 (5.2 MB, 4.2 MS, 5.2 MW, 5.0 MW, Depth: 6.8 mi, Class: Moderate, Intensity: VI - VII) earthquake occurred 135.5 miles away from the city center
On 10/7/1983 at 10:18:46, a magnitude 5.3 (5.1 MB, 5.3 LG, 5.1 ML) earthquake occurred 174.4 miles away from Upton center
On 1/19/1982 at 00:14:42, a magnitude 4.7 (4.5 MB, 4.7 MD, 4.5 LG, Class: Light, Intensity: IV - V) earthquake occurred 90.3 miles away from the city center
On 10/3/2006 at 00:07:38, a magnitude 4.3 (3.8 MB, 3.8 MW, 4.3 LG, Depth: 4.0 mi) earthquake occurred 142.7 miles away from the city center
On 8/21/1996 at 07:54:14, a magnitude 3.8 (3.8 LG, 3.6 LG, Depth: 6.2 mi, Class: Light, Intensity: II - III) earthquake occurred 41.8 miles away from Upton center
On 6/16/1995 at 12:13:11, a magnitude 3.8 (3.8 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 55.1 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: regional Lg-wave magnitude (LG), body-wave magnitude (MB), duration magnitude (MD), local magnitude (ML), surface-wave magnitude (MS), moment magnitude (MW)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Oxford County (29) is a lot greater than the US average (13).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 22
Emergencies Declared: 7
Causes of natural disasters: Floods: 18, Storms: 15, Snows: 7, Hurricanes: 3, Heavy Rains: 2, Blizzard: 1, Ice Storm: 1, Landslide: 1, Mudslide: 1, Snowfall: 1, Tropical Storm: 1, Wind: 1, Winter Storm: 1, Other: 1 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Upton:
- University of Maine at Farmington (about 42 miles; Farmington, ME; Full-time enrollment: 2,036)
- University of Maine at Augusta (about 65 miles; Augusta, ME; FT enrollment: 3,204)
- Saint Joseph's College of Maine (about 68 miles; Standish, ME; FT enrollment: 2,010)
- Plymouth State University (about 76 miles; Plymouth, NH; FT enrollment: 4,838)
- University of Southern Maine (about 82 miles; Portland, ME; FT enrollment: 6,647)
- Southern Maine Community College (about 84 miles; South Portland, ME; FT enrollment: 4,666)
- Norwich University (about 93 miles; Northfield, VT; FT enrollment: 4,221)
Lakes: B Pond (A), Mollidgewock Pond (B). Display/hide their locations on the map
Streams, rivers, and creeks: B Brook (A), Tyler Brook (B), Lou Ann Brook (C), Dead Cambridge River (D), Swift Cambridge River (E), Campbell Brook (F). Display/hide their locations on the map
Air pollution and air quality trends
(lower is better)
Air Quality Index (AQI) level in 2013 was 38.2. This is significantly better than average.
Sulfur Dioxide (SO2) [ppb] level in 2001 was 3.15. This is significantly worse than average. Closest monitor was 19.1 miles away from the city center.
Particulate Matter (PM10) [µg/m3] level in 2000 was 22.0. This is about average. Closest monitor was 19.1 miles away from the city center.
Particulate Matter (PM2.5) [µg/m3] level in 2013 was 7.53. This is better than average. Closest monitor was 19.9 miles away from the city center.
|This town:||1.9 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
No gay or lesbian households reported
Educational Attainment (%) in 2000
Presidential Elections Results
Graphs represent county-level data. Detailed 2008 Election Results
Religion statistics for Upton town (based on Oxford County data)
Food Environment Statistics:
|Oxford County:||2.47 / 10,000 pop.|
|Maine:||2.80 / 10,000 pop.|
|This county:||0.35 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||0.14 / 10,000 pop.|
|Oxford County:||2.29 / 10,000 pop.|
|Maine:||2.20 / 10,000 pop.|
|Oxford County:||7.94 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||5.75 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||9.35 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||11.02 / 10,000 pop.|
5.32% of this county's 2011 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2010 ($34,840 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved from foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2010 and 2011:
|from Androscoggin County, ME||1.17% ($32,016 average AGI)|
|from Cumberland County, ME||0.84% ($32,057)|
|from York County, ME||0.34% ($35,114)|
5.44% of this county's 2010 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2011 ($30,857 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved to foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2010 and 2011:
Strongest AM radio stations in Upton:
- WTME (780 AM; 10 kW; RUMFORD, ME; Owner: MOUNTAIN VALLEY BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WCHP (760 AM; 35 kW; CHAMPLAIN, NY; Owner: CHAMPLAIN RADIO, INC.)
- WRKO (680 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: ENTERCOM BOSTON LICENSE, LLC)
- WSKW (1160 AM; 10 kW; SKOWHEGAN, ME; Owner: MOUNTAIN WIRELESS, INCORPORATED)
- WEEI (850 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: ENTERCOM BOSTON LICENSE, LLC)
- WMOU (1230 AM; 1 kW; BERLIN, NH; Owner: JERICHO BROADCASTING COMPANY, L.L.C.)
- WNNZ (640 AM; 50 kW; WESTFIELD, MA; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WMTW (870 AM; 10 kW; GORHAM, ME; Owner: RADIO PARTNERS OF MAINE, L.P.)
- WCRN (830 AM; 50 kW; WORCESTER, MA; Owner: CARTER BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WBZ (1030 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: INFINITY BROADCASTING OPERATIONS, INC.)
- WGY (810 AM; 50 kW; SCHENECTADY, NY; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WKOX (1200 AM; 50 kW; FRAMINGHAM, MA; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WICY (1490 AM; 50 kW; MALONE, NY; Owner: CARTIER COMMUNICATIONS INC.)
Strongest FM radio stations in Upton:
- WPKQ (103.7 FM; NORTH CONWAY, NH; Owner: CITADEL BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WHOM (94.9 FM; MT. WASHINGTON, NH; Owner: CITADEL BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WLOB-FM (96.3 FM; RUMFORD, ME; Owner: ATLANTIC COAST RADIO, LLC)
- WTBM (100.7 FM; MEXICO, ME; Owner: MOUNTAIN VALLEY BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WTOS-FM (105.1 FM; SKOWHEGAN, ME; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WGMT (97.7 FM; LYNDON, VT; Owner: VERMONT BROADCAST ASSOCIATES, INC.)
- WVFM (105.7 FM; CAMPTON, NH; Owner: DEVON BROADCASTING COMPANY, INC.)
- WMTK (106.3 FM; LITTLETON, NH; Owner: VERMONT BROADCAST ASSOCIATES, INC.)
- WXXS (102.3 FM; LANCASTER, NH; Owner: BARRY P. LUNDERVILLE)
- National Bridge Inventory (NBI) Statistics
- 3Number of bridges
- 4m13ftTotal length
- $2,449,000Total costs
- 361Total average daily traffic
- 17Total average daily truck traffic
- 543Total future (year 2033) average daily traffic
FAA Registered Aircraft:1
- Aircraft: CESSNA 150E (Category: Land, Seats: 2, Weight: Up to 12,499 Pounds, Speed: 90 mph), Engine: CONT MOTOR 0-200 SERIES (100 HP) (Reciprocating)
N-Number: 4079U , Serial Number: 15061479, Year manufactured: 1965, Airworthiness Date: 05/20/1965
Registrant (Co-Owned): Jeffrey D Scribner, 216 Thistle St, Upton, ME 04261, Other Owners: Cynthia T Scribner
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Fuel oil, kerosene, etc. (88%)
- Wood (13%)
Upton compared to Maine state average:
- Unemployed percentage significantly below state average.
- Black race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Median age significantly above state average.
- Renting percentage below state average.
- Length of stay since moving in significantly above state average.
- Number of rooms per house significantly below state average.
- House age significantly below state average.
- Number of college students significantly below state average.
- Percentage of population with a bachelor's degree or higher below state average.
Upton on our top lists:
- #71 on the list of "Top 101 larger cities with the lowest real estate taxes percentage (population 50,000+)"
- #29 on the list of "Top 101 counties with the lowest surface withdrawal of fresh water for public supply (pop. 50,000+)"
- #32 on the list of "Top 101 counties with the lowest Ozone (1-hour) air pollution readings in 2012 (ppm)"
- #53 on the list of "Top 101 counties with the lowest total withdrawal of fresh water for public supply (pop. 50,000+)"