Valley City, Illinois
Submit your own pictures of this village and show them to the world
Population change since 2000: -14.3%
|Median resident age:||55.3 years|
|Illinois median age:||39.6 years|
Zip code: 62340
Estimated per capita income in 2017: $10,333 (it was $6,833 in 2000)
Estimated median house or condo value in 2017: $40,741 (it was $27,500 in 2000)
Latest news from Valley City, IL collected exclusively by city-data.com from local newspapers, TV, and radio stations
Current Local Time: CST time zone
Incorporated on 04/11/1956
Elevation: 450 feet
Land area: 0.20 square miles.
Population density: 61 people per square mile(very low).
|Valley City village:||0.0% ($0)|
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Springfield, IL (53.6 miles , pop. 111,454).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: St. Louis, MO (77.8 miles , pop. 348,189).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: Chicago, IL (214.6 miles , pop. 2,896,016).
Latitude: 39.71 N, Longitude: 90.65 W
Area code commonly used in this area: 217
Average climate in Valley City, Illinois
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Valley City-area historical tornado activity is near Illinois state average. It is 53% greater than the overall U.S. average.
On 4/24/1961, a category F3 (max. wind speeds 158-206 mph) tornado 26.4 miles away from the Valley City village center injured 3 people and caused between $50,000 and $500,000 in damages.
On 5/13/1995, a category F4 (max. wind speeds 207-260 mph) tornado 49.6 miles away from the village center injured 45 people and caused between $5,000,000 and $50,000,000 in damages.
Earthquake activity:Valley City-area historical earthquake activity is slightly above Illinois state average. It is 77% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 4/18/2008 at 09:36:59, a magnitude 5.4 (5.1 MB, 4.8 MS, 5.4 MW, 5.2 MW, Depth: 8.9 mi, Class: Moderate, Intensity: VI - VII) earthquake occurred 172.1 miles away from the city center
On 6/10/1987 at 23:48:54, a magnitude 5.1 (4.9 MB, 4.4 MS, 4.6 MS, 5.1 LG) earthquake occurred 160.4 miles away from the city center
On 9/26/1990 at 13:18:51, a magnitude 5.0 (4.7 MB, 4.8 LG, 5.0 LG, Depth: 7.7 mi) earthquake occurred 185.8 miles away from Valley City center
On 6/18/2002 at 17:37:15, a magnitude 5.0 (4.3 MB, 4.6 MW, 5.0 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 195.2 miles away from the city center
On 4/18/2008 at 15:14:16, a magnitude 4.8 (4.5 MB, 4.8 MW, 4.6 MW, Depth: 6.2 mi, Class: Light, Intensity: IV - V) earthquake occurred 173.0 miles away from Valley City center
On 4/3/1974 at 23:05:02, a magnitude 4.7 (4.5 MB, 4.7 LG) earthquake occurred 157.4 miles away from Valley City center
Magnitude types: regional Lg-wave magnitude (LG), body-wave magnitude (MB), surface-wave magnitude (MS), moment magnitude (MW)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Pike County (20) is greater than the US average (13).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 17
Emergencies Declared: 3
Causes of natural disasters: Floods: 16, Storms: 14, Tornadoes: 4, Snows: 2, Heavy Rain: 1, Hurricane: 1, Snowstorm: 1, Wind: 1, Winter Storm: 1 (Note: some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Hospitals and medical centers near Valley City:
- ILLINI COMMUNITY HOSPITAL Critical Access Hospitals (about 11 miles away; PITTSFIELD, IL)
- KEPLEY HOUSE (Hospital, about 11 miles away; PITTSFIELD, IL)
- PIKE COUNTY HEALTH DEPARTMENT (Home Health Center, about 11 miles away; PITTSFIELD, IL)
- PITTSFIELD MANOR (Nursing Home, about 12 miles away; PITTSFIELD, IL)
- EASTSIDE HEALTH AND REHAB CENTER (Nursing Home, about 12 miles away; PITTSFIELD, IL)
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Valley City:
- Western Illinois University (about 53 miles; Macomb, IL; Full-time enrollment: 10,755)
- University of Illinois at Springfield (about 56 miles; Springfield, IL; FT enrollment: 3,748)
- Lincoln Land Community College (about 56 miles; Springfield, IL; FT enrollment: 5,460)
- Lewis and Clark Community College (about 58 miles; Godfrey, IL; FT enrollment: 4,189)
- Lindenwood University (about 64 miles; Saint Charles, MO; FT enrollment: 11,117)
- St Charles Community College (about 66 miles; Cottleville, MO; FT enrollment: 5,302)
- University of Missouri-St Louis (about 72 miles; Saint Louis, MO; FT enrollment: 10,322)
Points of interest:
Cemetery: Valley City Cemetery (1). Display/hide its location on the map
|This village:||1.6 people|
No gay or lesbian households reported
For population 15 years and over in Valley City:
- Never married: 0.0%
- Now married: 0.0%
- Separated: 0.0%
- Widowed: 49.6%
- Divorced: 50.4%
For population 25 years and over in Valley City:
- High school or higher: 100.0%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 50.0%
- Graduate or professional degree: 0.0%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 60.0 minutes
Graphs represent county-level data. Detailed 2008 Election Results
Religion statistics for Valley City, IL (based on Pike County data)
Food Environment Statistics:
|Pike County:||3.00 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||2.24 / 10,000 pop.|
|This county:||0.60 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||0.75 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||6.60 / 10,000 pop.|
|Illinois:||2.61 / 10,000 pop.|
|Pike County:||9.00 / 10,000 pop.|
|Illinois:||6.86 / 10,000 pop.|
|Local government employment and payroll (March 2012)|
|Function||Full-time employees||Monthly full-time payroll||Average yearly full-time wage||Part-time employees||Monthly part-time payroll|
|Fire - Other||0||$0||0||$0|
|Other and Unallocable||0||$0||0||$0|
|Streets and Highways||0||$0||0||$0|
|Housing and Community Development (Local)||0||$0||0||$0|
|Police - Other||0||$0||0||$0|
|Police Protection - Officers||0||$0||0||$0|
|Judicial and Legal||0||$0||0||$0|
|Parks and Recreation||0||$0||0||$0|
|Water Transport and Terminals||0||$0||0||$0|
|Other Government Administration||0||$0||1||$35|
|Solid Waste Management||0||$0||0||$0|
|Totals for Government||0||$0||4||$317|
4.21% of this county's 2016 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2015 ($37,635 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved from foreign countries between 2015 and 2016.
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2015 and 2016:
|from Adams County, IL||0.83% ($37,510 average AGI)|
4.10% of this county's 2015 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2016 ($38,591 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved to foreign countries between 2015 and 2016.
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2015 and 2016:
|to Adams County, IL||1.05% ($39,452 average AGI)|
Strongest AM radio stations in Valley City:
- KXEN (1010 AM; 50 kW; FESTUS-ST. LOUIS, MO; Owner: BDJ RADIO ENTERPRISES, LLC)
- KMOX (1120 AM; 50 kW; ST. LOUIS, MO; Owner: INFINITY BROADCASTING OPERATIONS, INC.)
- KHMO (1070 AM; 5 kW; HANNIBAL, MO)
- WTAD (930 AM; 5 kW; QUINCY, IL; Owner: STARADIO CORPORATION)
- WGEM (1440 AM; 5 kW; QUINCY, IL; Owner: QUINCY BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WSDZ (1260 AM; 20 kW; BELLEVILLE, IL)
- WSCR (670 AM; 50 kW; CHICAGO, IL; Owner: INFINITY BROADCASTING OPERATIONS, INC.)
- WGN (720 AM; 50 kW; CHICAGO, IL; Owner: WGN CONTINENTAL BROADCASTING CO.)
- KRFT (1190 AM; 10 kW; DE SOTO, MO; Owner: ALL SPORTS RADIO, LLC)
- WLS (890 AM; 50 kW; CHICAGO, IL; Owner: WLS, INC.)
- WLDS (1180 AM; daytime; 1 kW; JACKSONVILLE, IL)
- WBBM (780 AM; 50 kW; CHICAGO, IL; Owner: INFINITY BROADCASTING OPERATIONS, INC.)
- KTRS (550 AM; 5 kW; ST. LOUIS, MO; Owner: KTRS-AM LICENSE, L.L.C.)
Strongest FM radio stations in Valley City:
- WIPA (89.3 FM; PITTSFIELD, IL; Owner: UNIVERSITY OF IL AT SPRINGFIELD)
- WBBA-FM (97.5 FM; PITTSFIELD, IL; Owner: BROWN RADIO GROUP, INC.)
- KGRC (92.9 FM; HANNIBAL, MO; Owner: STARADIO CORPORATION)
- WEAI (107.1 FM; LYNNVILLE, IL; Owner: JERDON BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WPWQ (106.7 FM; MOUNT STERLING, IL; Owner: WPW BROADCASTING, INC.)
- W202AV (88.3 FM; WHITE HALL, IL; Owner: THE MOODY BIBLE INSTITUTE OF CHICAGO)
- WVIL (101.3 FM; VIRGINIA, IL; Owner: MARK J. LANGSTON)
- KJFM (102.1 FM; LOUISIANA, MO; Owner: FOXFIRE COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- WJVO (105.5 FM; SOUTH JACKSONVILLE, IL; Owner: MORGAN COUNTY B/CASTING CO., INC.)
- WRLJ (88.3 FM; WHITE HALL, IL; Owner: CORNERSTONE COMMUNITY RADIO, INC)
TV broadcast stations around Valley City:
- WSEC (Channel 14; JACKSONVILLE, IL; Owner: WEST CENTRAL ILLINOIS EDUCATIONAL TELECOMMUNICATIONS CORP.)
- W49BS (Channel 49; QUINCY, IL; Owner: MS COMMUNICATIONS, LLC)
- W53BP (Channel 53; QUINCY, IL; Owner: MS COMMUNICATIONS, LLC)
- WTJR (Channel 16; QUINCY, IL; Owner: BELIEVER'S BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
Valley City fatal accident list:
- National Bridge Inventory (NBI) Statistics
- 15Number of bridges
- 479ft / 146mTotal length
- $76,000Total costs
- 52,150Total average daily traffic
- 16,354Total average daily truck traffic
- 34,205Total future (year 2032) average daily traffic
- 100.0%Utility gas
Valley City compared to Illinois state average:
- Median house value significantly below state average.
- Unemployed percentage significantly below state average.
- Black race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Median age significantly above state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage significantly below state average.
- Length of stay since moving in significantly below state average.
- Number of rooms per house below state average.
- House age below state average.
- Number of college students significantly below state average.
- Percentage of population with a bachelor's degree or higher above state average.