Clayton County has a predicted average indoor radon screening level greater than 4 pCi/L (pico curies per liter) - Highest Potential
Air pollution and air quality trends
Air Quality Index (AQI) level in 2010 was 15.0. This is significantly better than average.
Particulate Matter (PM10) [µ/m3] level in 2010 was 16.1. This is better than average. Closest monitor was 14.0 miles away from the city center.
Particulate Matter (PM2.5) [µ/m3] level in 2008 was 10.3. This is about average. Closest monitor was 14.0 miles away from the city center.
(lower is better)
Percentage of residents living in poverty in 2009: 19.2%
(17.0% for White Non-Hispanic residents, 100.0% for Hispanic or Latino residents)
Average household size:
Percentage of family households:
|This city: || 2.3 people|
|Iowa: || 2.4 people|
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
|This city: || 66.7%|
|Whole state: || 66.4%|
Likely homosexual households (counted as self-reported same-sex unmarried-partner households)
|This city: || 1.9%|
|Whole state: || 4.9%|
- Lesbian couples: 0.0% of all households
- Gay men: 1.0% of all households
Detailed information about poverty and poor residents in Volga, IA
Volga compared to Iowa state average:
- Median household income below state average.
- Median house value significantly below state average.
- Black race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage significantly below state average.
- Number of rooms per house above state average.
- House age above state average.
Back to the top
Banks with branches in Volga (2011 data):
- Central State Bank: Volga Branch at S Main Street, branch established on 1966/09/15. Info updated 2010/12/07: Bank assets: $155.1 mil, Deposits: $130.0 mil, headquarters in Elkader, IA, positive income, Commercial Lending Specialization, 7 total offices, Holding Company: Ajj Bancorp, Inc.
Educational Attainment (%)
School Enrollment by Level of School (%)
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Bottled, tank, or LP gas (90%)
- Fuel oil, kerosene, etc. (8%)
- Wood (2%)
2004 Presidential Election results in Clayton County Iowa:
Religion statistics for Volga (based on Clayton County data)
Percentage of population affiliated with a religious congregations: 81.82%
Breakdown of population affiliated with a religious congregations
Source: Jones, Dale E., et al. 2002. Congregations and Membership in the United States 2000. Nashville, TN: Glenmary Research Center.
|Name||Evangelical Lutheran Church in America||Catholic Church||United Methodist Church||United Church of Christ||Other|
Tables represent county-level data.
Food Environment Statistics:
Number of grocery stores:
|Clayton County:||3.40 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||2.14 / 10,000 pop.|Number of convenience stores (with gas):
|Clayton County:||7.36 / 10,000 pop.|
|Iowa:||5.55 / 10,000 pop.|Number of full-service restaurants:
|This county:||13.01 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||8.01 / 10,000 pop.|Adult diabetes rate:
|Iowa:||7.8%|Adult obesity rate:
|State:||27.3%|Low-income preschool obesity rate:
|Local government employment and payroll (March 2007)|
||Monthly full-time payroll
||Average yearly full-time wage
||Monthly part-time payroll
|Other Government Administration
|Other and Unallocable
|Totals for Government
Volga government finances in 2002:
- Charges - Sewerage: $30,000 ($144.93)
Solid Waste Management: $9,000 ($43.48)
All Other: $1,000 ($4.83)
- Construction - Parks & Recreation: $12,000 ($57.97)
- Current Operations - Housing & Community Development: $108,000 ($521.74)
General - Other: $93,000 ($449.28)
Health Services - Other: $23,000 ($111.11)
Sewerage: $20,000 ($96.62)
Regular Highways: $15,000 ($72.46)
Water Utilities: $14,000 ($67.63)
Libraries: $12,000 ($57.97)
Financial Administration: $9,000 ($43.48)
Fire Protection: $9,000 ($43.48)
Parks & Recreation: $9,000 ($43.48)
Solid Waste Management: $8,000 ($38.65)
Central Staff Services: $2,000 ($9.66)
Judicial and Legal Services: $1,000 ($4.83)
- Federal Intergovernmental - All Other: $176,000 ($850.24)
- General - Interest on Debt: $18,000 ($86.96)
- Local Intergovernmental - All Other: $10,000 ($48.31)
- Long Term Debt Beginning Outstanding, NEC: $355,000 ($1714.98)
- Long Term Debt Outstanding Nonguaranteed - Other, NEC: $327,000 ($1579.71)
- Long Term Debt Retired Unspecified - Other, NEC: $28,000 ($135.27)
- Miscellaneous - General Revenue, NEC: $19,000 ($91.79)
Interest Earnings: $10,000 ($48.31)
Property Sale Other: $1,000 ($4.83)
- Other Capital Outlay - Parks & Recreation: $7,000 ($33.82)
- Other Funds - Cash & Deposits: $272,000 ($1314.01)
- Revenue - Water Utilities: $16,000 ($77.29)
- Sinking Fund - Cash & Deposits: $165,000 ($797.10)
- State Intergovernmental - All Other: $36,000 ($173.91)
Highways: $20,000 ($96.62)
General Support: $3,000 ($14.49)
- Tax - Property: $36,000 ($173.91)
Total General Sales: $14,000 ($67.63)
- Total Salaries & Wages: $49,000 ($236.71)
5.02% of this county's 2006 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2005 ($31,938 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved from foreign countries between 2005 and 2006.
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2005 and 2006:
5.68% of this county's 2005 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2006 ($31,331 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved to foreign countries between 2005 and 2006.
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2005 and 2006:
Strongest AM radio stations in Volga:
- KADR (1400 AM; 1 kW; ELKADER, IA; Owner: DESIGN HOMES, INC.)
- KKHQ (950 AM; 5 kW; OELWEIN, IA; Owner: CUMULUS LICENSING CORP.)
- KXEL (1540 AM; 50 kW; WATERLOO, IA; Owner: KXEL BROADCASTING COMPANY, INC.)
- WHO (1040 AM; 50 kW; DES MOINES, IA; Owner: CITICASTERS LICENSES, L.P.)
- KCNZ (1250 AM; 10 kW; CEDAR FALLS, IA; Owner: FIFE COMMUNICATION COMPANY, L.C.)
- WMT (600 AM; 5 kW; CEDAR RAPIDS, IA; Owner: CITICASTERS LICENSES, L.P.)
- WTMJ (620 AM; 50 kW; MILWAUKEE, WI; Owner: JOURNAL BROADCAST CORPORATION)
- KDNZ (1650 AM; 10 kW; CEDAR FALLS, IA; Owner: FIFE COMMUNICATIONS CO., LLC)
- WSPT (1010 AM; 50 kW; STEVENS POINT, WI)
- WSCR (670 AM; 50 kW; CHICAGO, IL; Owner: INFINITY BROADCASTING OPERATIONS, INC.)
- KWLO (1330 AM; 5 kW; WATERLOO, IA; Owner: KXEL BROADCASTING COMPANY, INC.)
- WCTS (1030 AM; 50 kW; MAPLEWOOD, MN; Owner: CNTL. BAPT. THEO/AL SEMI MINNEAPOLIS)
- WGN (720 AM; 50 kW; CHICAGO, IL; Owner: WGN CONTINENTAL BROADCASTING CO.)
Strongest FM radio stations in Volga:
- KOEL-FM (92.3 FM; OELWEIN, IA; Owner: CUMULUS LICENSING CORP.)
- KFMW (107.9 FM; WATERLOO, IA; Owner: KXEL BROADCASTING COMPANY, INC.)
- KUNI (90.9 FM; CEDAR FALLS, IA; Owner: UNIVERSITY OF NORTHERN IOWA)
- KCTN (100.1 FM; GARNAVILLO, IA; Owner: DESIGN HOMES, INC.)
- KOKZ (105.7 FM; WATERLOO, IA; Owner: KXEL BROADCASTING COMPANY, INC.)
- KNWS-FM (101.9 FM; WATERLOO, IA; Owner: NORTHWESTERN COLLEGE)
- WQPC (94.3 FM; PRAIRIE DU CHIEN, WI; Owner: ROBINSON CORPORATION)
- KNEI-FM (103.5 FM; WAUKON, IA; Owner: WENNES COMMUNICATIONS STATIONS, INC.)
- KMCH (94.7 FM; MANCHESTER, IA; Owner: FIFE COMMUNICATION COMPANY, L.C.)
- KQMG-FM (95.3 FM; INDEPENDENCE, IA; Owner: KEENE OF IOWA, INC.)
- KPVL (89.1 FM; POSTVILLE, IA; Owner: POSTVILLE CHAMBER OF COMMERCE)
TV broadcast stations around Volga:
- KWWL (Channel 7; WATERLOO, IA; Owner: RAYCOM AMERICA, INC.)
- KGAN (Channel 2; CEDAR RAPIDS, IA; Owner: KGAN LICENSEE, LLC)
- KCRG-TV (Channel 9; CEDAR RAPIDS, IA; Owner: CEDAR RAPIDS TELEVISION CO.)
- KRIN (Channel 32; WATERLOO, IA; Owner: IOWA PUBLIC BROADCASTING BOARD)
- KFXA (Channel 28; CEDAR RAPIDS, IA; Owner: SECOND GENERATION OF IOWA, LTD.)
- KPXR (Channel 48; CEDAR RAPIDS, IA; Owner: PAXSON COMMUNICATIONS LICENSE COMPANY, LLC)
- W22CI (Channel 22; BLOOMINGTON, WI; Owner: STATE OF WISCONSIN - EDUCATIONAL COMMUNICATIONS BOARD)
Volga fatal accident list:
Jun 11, 2003 08:15 PM, C2w, Vehicles: 2, Persons: 4, Fatalities: 2
Apr 25, 1986 07:30 PM, City St., Vehicles: 1, Persons: 2, Fatalities: 1, Drunken drivers: 1
FCC Registered Antenna Towers:
- LORI DAWSON, 11600 265th Street (Lat: 42.834028 Lon: -91.572417), Type: Tower, Structure height: 91.4 m, Overall height: 94.4 m
Registrant: Holland & Knight, LLP, 2099 Pennsylvania Ave Nw, Ste 100, Washington, DC 20006-1816, Phone: (202) 862-5989, Email:
FCC Registered Amateur Radio Licenses:
- Call Sign: W0TCP, Previous Call Sign: N5TCP, Licensee ID: L00353737
Grant Date: 11/04/2008, Expiration Date: 12/17/2018, Certifier: Thomas C Perry
Registrant: Thomas C Perry, Volga, IA 52077
- Call Sign: WA0ZNN
Grant Date: 10/04/1988, Expiration Date: 10/04/1998, Cancellation Date: 10/05/2000
Registrant: John P Donlon, White St, Volga, IA 52077
2006 National Fire Incident Reporting System Incidents:
|Most common first names in Volga, IA among deceased individuals|
|Most common last names in Volga, IA among deceased individuals|
|Last name||Count||Lived (average)|
- #6 on the list of "Top 101 cities with largest percentage of females working in industry: Electrical and electronic goods merchant wholesalers"
- #12 on the list of "Top 101 cities with largest percentage of males working in industry: Electrical equipment, appliances, and components"
- #31 on the list of "Top 101 cities with largest percentage of females in occupations: Customer service representatives"
- #38 on the list of "Top 101 cities with largest percentage of females in occupations: Farmers and farm managers"
- #40 on the list of "Top 101 cities with largest percentage of females in occupations: Office and administrative support occupations:"
- #45 on the list of "Top 101 cities with largest percentage of males working in industry: Metal and mineral, except petroleum, merchant wholesalers"
- #68 on the list of "Top 101 cities with the largest percentage of people in religious group quarters"