We are giving away $1200 in prizes - enter simply by sending us your own city pictures!
|Median resident age:||41.6 years|
|Vermont median age:||45.8 years|
Zip codes: 05836.
Estimated per capita income in 2013: $23,943 (it was $17,253 in 2000)
Walden town income, earnings, and wages data
Estimated median house or condo value in 2013: $171,022 (it was $88,800 in 2000)
Mean prices in 2013: All housing units: $193,527; Detached houses: $210,843; Townhouses or other attached units: $278,147; In 2-unit structures: $154,343; In 3-to-4-unit structures: $152,883; In 5-or-more-unit structures: $131,928; Mobile homes: $65,396
Races in Walden, VT (2010)
- 89996.1%White alone
- 101.1%Two or more races
- 50.5%Asian alone
- 40.4%American Indian alone
- 30.3%Black alone
- 10.1%Other race alone
|Is it difficult to live a Walden lifestyle in Vermont? (23 replies)|
|Vermont Weather (2602 replies)|
|News, Vermont Towns Have an Image, and They Say Dollar Stores Aren’t Part of It. (73 replies)|
|Vermont Seen as Worst Tax State for Retirees (74 replies)|
|Kayaking Vermont -- starting from Rutland County (69 replies)|
|Moving to Vermont (8 replies)|
Latest news from Walden, VT collected exclusively by city-data.com from local newspapers, TV, and radio stations
Ancestries: English (28.3%), French (24.8%), Irish (15.7%), Scottish (9.1%), German (9.0%), French Canadian (7.4%).
Current Local Time: EST time zone
Elevation: 1634 feet
Land area: 38.7 square miles.
Population density: 24 people per square mile(very low).
For population 25 years and over in Walden:
- High school or higher: 84.8%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 20.7%
- Graduate or professional degree: 5.1%
- Unemployed: 7.1%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 28.6 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Walden town:
- Never married: 25.4%
- Now married: 59.9%
- Separated: 0.5%
- Widowed: 4.1%
- Divorced: 10.1%
20 residents are foreign born (1.4% North America, 1.2% Europe).
According to our research of Vermont and other state lists there were 5 registered sex offenders living in Walden, Vermont as of August 27, 2015.
The ratio of number of residents in Walden to the number of sex offenders is 151 to 1.
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units in 2000:
|Walden town:||1.4% ($1,250)|
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Manchester, NH (110.7 miles , pop. 107,006).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: Boston, MA (160.2 miles , pop. 589,141).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: Bronx, NY (264.6 miles , pop. 1,332,650).
Nearest cities: Stannard, VT (2.2 miles) , Greensboro Bend, VT (2.2 miles ), Hardwick, VT (2.4 miles ), Cabot, VT (2.5 miles ), Danville, VT (2.6 miles ), Greensboro, VT (2.8 miles ), Woodbury, VT (3.0 miles ), Wheelock, VT (3.0 miles ).
Latitude: 44.48 N, Longitude: 72.25 W
Area code commonly used in this area: 802
Unemployment by year (%)
- Agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting (20%)
- Construction (18%)
- Public administration (4%)
- Building material and garden equipment and supplies dealers (3%)
- Educational services (3%)
- Health care (3%)
- Food (3%)
- Educational services (17%)
- Health care (13%)
- Professional, scientific, and technical services (9%)
- Food and beverage stores (8%)
- Public administration (7%)
- Social assistance (6%)
- Religious, grantmaking, civic, professional, and similar organizations (3%)
- Fishing and hunting, and forest and logging workers (10%)
- Carpenters (8%)
- Metal workers and plastic workers (6%)
- Vehicle and mobile equipment mechanics, installers, and repairers (5%)
- Other sales and related workers including supervisors (4%)
- Farmers and farm managers (4%)
- Other management occupations except farmers and farm managers (4%)
- Preschool, kindergarten, elementary and middle school teachers (8%)
- Other teachers and instructors, education, training, and library occupations (7%)
- Cashiers (7%)
- Information and record clerks except customer service representatives (7%)
- Material recording, scheduling, dispatching, and distributing workers (5%)
- Nursing, psychiatric, and home health aides (5%)
- Other production occupations including supervisors (4%)
Average climate in Walden, Vermont
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Earthquake activity:Walden-area historical earthquake activity is near Vermont state average. It is 90% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 4/20/2002 at 10:50:47, a magnitude 5.2 (5.2 MB, 4.2 MS, 5.2 MW, 5.0 MW, Depth: 6.8 mi, Class: Moderate, Intensity: VI - VII) earthquake occurred 72.6 miles away from the city center
On 10/7/1983 at 10:18:46, a magnitude 5.3 (5.1 MB, 5.3 LG, 5.1 ML) earthquake occurred 110.1 miles away from Walden center
On 1/19/1982 at 00:14:42, a magnitude 4.7 (4.5 MB, 4.7 MD, 4.5 LG, Class: Light, Intensity: IV - V) earthquake occurred 75.0 miles away from the city center
On 4/20/2002 at 11:04:42, a magnitude 4.1 (4.1 LG, 3.7 ML, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 71.3 miles away from the city center
On 6/16/1995 at 12:13:11, a magnitude 3.8 (3.8 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi, Class: Light, Intensity: II - III) earthquake occurred 21.2 miles away from Walden center
On 8/21/1996 at 07:54:14, a magnitude 3.8 (3.8 LG, 3.6 LG, Depth: 6.2 mi) earthquake occurred 48.7 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: regional Lg-wave magnitude (LG), body-wave magnitude (MB), duration magnitude (MD), local magnitude (ML), surface-wave magnitude (MS), moment magnitude (MW)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Caledonia County (16) is greater than the US average (12).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 16
Causes of natural disasters: Floods: 15, Storms: 12, Heavy Rains: 2, Winds: 2, Landslide: 1, Tornado: 1, Tropical Storm: 1 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Birthplace of: Charles J. Bell - Politician, George P. Foster - Union Army general, Josiah O. Livingston - Civil War Medal of Honor recipient.
Medal of Honor Recipients
Medal of Honor Recipient born in Walden: Josiah O. Livingston.
Hospitals and medical centers near Walden:
- FMC OF ST. JOHNSBURY DIALYSIS (Dialysis Facility, about 12 miles away; SAINT JOHNSBURY, VT)
- CALEDONIA HOME HEALTH CARE (Home Health Center, about 12 miles away; SAINT JOHNSBURY, VT)
- ST JOHNSBURY HEALTH AND REHAB (Nursing Home, about 12 miles away; SAINT JOHNSBURY, VT)
- NORTHEASTERN VERMONT REGIONAL HOSPITAL Critical Access Hospitals (about 12 miles away; SAINT JOHNSBURY, VT)
- PINES REHAB AND HEALTH CTR (Nursing Home, about 13 miles away; LYNDONVILLE, VT)
- UNION HOUSE NURSING HOME (Nursing Home, about 13 miles away; GLOVER, VT)
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Walden:
- Norwich University (about 32 miles; Northfield, VT; Full-time enrollment: 4,221)
- Saint Michael's College (about 46 miles; Colchester, VT; FT enrollment: 2,336)
- Community College of Vermont (about 47 miles; Winooski, VT; FT enrollment: 3,394)
- University of Vermont (about 47 miles; Burlington, VT; FT enrollment: 11,566)
- Champlain College (about 48 miles; Burlington, VT; FT enrollment: 2,623)
- Dartmouth College (about 54 miles; Hanover, NH; FT enrollment: 6,030)
- Middlebury College (about 57 miles; Middlebury, VT; FT enrollment: 3,077)
Notable locations in Walden: Fairbanks Mills (A), Walden Station (B), Walden Emergency First Aid Stabilization Team Squad (C). Display/hide their locations on the map
Cemeteries: Walden Heights Cemetery (1), Stevens Hill Cemetery (2), Stebbins Lot Cemetery (3), South Walden Cemetery (4), Orton-Greensboro Bend Cemetery (5), Noyesville Cemetery (6), Houston Hill Cemetery (7). Display/hide their locations on the map
Lakes and reservoirs: Lyford Pond (A), Coles Pond (B), Goslants Mill Pond (C). Display/hide their locations on the map
Streams, rivers, and creeks: Stream Mill Brook (A), Rock Brook (B), Morrill Brook (C), Perkins Meadow Brook (D), Bog Brook (E), Chase Brook (F). Display/hide their locations on the map
Park in Walden: Steam Mill Brook Wildlife Management Area (1). Display/hide its location on the map
Air pollution and air quality trends
(lower is better)
Air Quality Index (AQI) level in 2002 was 61.7. This is better than average.
Particulate Matter (PM10) [µg/m3] level in 2002 was 17.3. This is about average. Closest monitor was 23.2 miles away from the city center.
Particulate Matter (PM2.5) [µg/m3] level in 2002 was 11.2. This is worse than average. Closest monitor was 23.3 miles away from the city center.
|This town:||2.5 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
Likely homosexual households (counted as self-reported same-sex unmarried-partner households)
- Lesbian couples: 0.5% of all households
- Gay men: 0.0% of all households
Residents with income below the poverty level in 2009:
Residents with income below 50% of the poverty level in 2009:
Walden compared to Vermont state average:
- Median house value significantly below state average.
- Unemployed percentage below state average.
- Black race population percentage below state average.
- Median age below state average.
- Renting percentage significantly below state average.
- Length of stay since moving in significantly above state average.
- Number of rooms per house significantly below state average.
- House age significantly below state average.
- Number of college students below state average.
Educational Attainment (%) in 2000
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2000
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Fuel oil, kerosene, etc. (49%)
- Wood (31%)
- Bottled, tank, or LP gas (19%)
- Electricity (1%)
Presidential Elections Results
Graphs represent county-level data. Detailed 2008 Election Results
Religion statistics for Walden town (based on Caledonia County data)
Food Environment Statistics:
|Caledonia County:||4.91 / 10,000 pop.|
|Vermont:||3.84 / 10,000 pop.|
|Caledonia County:||2.29 / 10,000 pop.|
|Vermont:||1.95 / 10,000 pop.|
|Caledonia County:||7.53 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||6.40 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||10.14 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||11.52 / 10,000 pop.|
4.82% of this county's 2011 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2010 ($38,711 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved from foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2010 and 2011:
|from Orleans County, VT||0.56% ($30,029 average AGI)|
|from Washington County, VT||0.44% ($37,611)|
|from Grafton County, NH||0.31% ($41,868)|
5.63% of this county's 2010 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2011 ($30,803 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved to foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2010 and 2011:
Strongest AM radio stations in Walden:
- WDEV (550 AM; 5 kW; WATERBURY, VT; Owner: RADIO VERMONT, INC.)
- WCHP (760 AM; 35 kW; CHAMPLAIN, NY; Owner: CHAMPLAIN RADIO, INC.)
- WTWN (1100 AM; daytime; 5 kW; WELLS RIVER, VT; Owner: PUFFER BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WSTJ (1340 AM; 1 kW; ST. JOHNSBURY, VT; Owner: VERMONT BROADCAST ASSOCIATES, INC.)
- WICY (1490 AM; 50 kW; MALONE, NY; Owner: CARTIER COMMUNICATIONS INC.)
- WVMT (620 AM; 5 kW; BURLINGTON, VT; Owner: SISON BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WRKO (680 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: ENTERCOM BOSTON LICENSE, LLC)
- WNNZ (640 AM; 50 kW; WESTFIELD, MA; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WGY (810 AM; 50 kW; SCHENECTADY, NY; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WCRN (830 AM; 50 kW; WORCESTER, MA; Owner: CARTER BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WEEI (850 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: ENTERCOM BOSTON LICENSE, LLC)
- WBZ (1030 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: INFINITY BROADCASTING OPERATIONS, INC.)
- WTME (780 AM; 10 kW; RUMFORD, ME; Owner: MOUNTAIN VALLEY BROADCASTING, INC.)
Strongest FM radio stations in Walden:
- WDOT (95.7 FM; DANVILLE, VT; Owner: MONTPELIER BROADCASTING INC)
- WGMT (97.7 FM; LYNDON, VT; Owner: VERMONT BROADCAST ASSOCIATES, INC.)
- WLKC (103.3 FM; WATERBURY, VT; Owner: RADIO BROADCASTING SERVICES, INC.)
- WVPS (107.9 FM; BURLINGTON, VT; Owner: VERMONT PUBLIC RADIO)
- WEZF (92.9 FM; BURLINGTON, VT; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WCVT (101.7 FM; STOWE, VT; Owner: RADIO VERMONT CLASSICS, L.L.C.)
- WNCS (104.7 FM; MONTPELIER, VT; Owner: MONTPELIER BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WPKQ (103.7 FM; NORTH CONWAY, NH; Owner: CITADEL BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WHOM (94.9 FM; MT. WASHINGTON, NH; Owner: CITADEL BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WCKJ (90.5 FM; ST. JOHNSBURY, VT; Owner: CHRISTIAN MINISTRIES, INC.)
- WKXH (105.5 FM; ST. JOHNSBURY, VT; Owner: VERMONT BROADCAST ASSOCIATES, INC.)
- WDEV-FM (96.1 FM; WARREN, VT; Owner: RADIO VERMONT, INC.)
- WMTK (106.3 FM; LITTLETON, NH; Owner: VERMONT BROADCAST ASSOCIATES, INC.)
- WVFM (105.7 FM; CAMPTON, NH; Owner: DEVON BROADCASTING COMPANY, INC.)
- WXXS (102.3 FM; LANCASTER, NH; Owner: BARRY P. LUNDERVILLE)
- W243AE (96.5 FM; ORLEANS, VT; Owner: CHRISTIAN MINISTRIES, INC.)
- WEBK (105.3 FM; KILLINGTON, VT; Owner: 6 JOHNSON ROAD LICENSES, INC.)
- WJJR (98.1 FM; RUTLAND, VT; Owner: 6 JOHNSON ROAD LICENSES, INC.)
- WZRT (97.1 FM; RUTLAND, VT; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WGLV (91.7 FM; WOODSTOCK, VT; Owner: CHRISTIAN MINISTRIES INC)
TV broadcast stations around Walden:
- WLED-TV (Channel 49; LITTLETON, NH; Owner: UNIVERSITY OF NEW HAMPSHIRE)
Walden fatal accident list:
Dec 15, 2010 08:15 AM, Th-2 Noyestar Rd., Lat: 44.49036, Lon: -72.25740, Vehicles: 1, Persons: 6, Fatalities: 1
Sep 28, 2008 01:45 PM, Th-13, Lat: 44.50656, Lon: -72.23671, Vehicles: 1, Persons: 2, Fatalities: 1
May 19, 2004 87:99 PM, Th-2, Vehicles: 1, Persons: 1, Fatalities: 1, Drunken persons involved: 1
Feb 11, 1996 12:42 AM, Vt 15, Vehicles: 2, Persons: 4, Fatalities: 2
Jul 28, 1979 09:30 PM, Vehicles: 1, Persons: 3, Fatalities: 1, Drunken persons involved: 1
- National Bridge Inventory (NBI) Statistics
- 8Number of bridges
- 10m33ftTotal length
- $1,851,000Total costs
- 3,190Total average daily traffic
- 210Total average daily truck traffic
FCC Registered Private Land Mobile Towers:1
- U S Rt 15 Walden Town Garage S Ofc (Lat: 44.433389 Lon: -72.262056), Call Sign: KNAN843
Assigned Frequencies: 156.120 MHz
Grant Date: 03/07/1996, Expiration Date: 04/24/2001, Cancellation Date: 06/24/2001
Registrant: Walden, Town Of, West Danville, VT 05873, Phone: (802) 563-2220
2006 National Fire Incident Reporting System Incidents:
- Fire: 17
- Hazardous Condition: 5
- Good Intent Call: 2
Incident types - Walden
Total of 3 patent applications in 2008-2015.