We are giving away $1200 in prizes - enter simply by sending us your own city pictures!
|Median resident age:||56.6 years|
|Wisconsin median age:||42.6 years|
Zip codes: 54838.
Estimated per capita income in 2015: $27,063 (it was $18,165 in 2000)
Wascott town income, earnings, and wages data
Estimated median house or condo value in 2015: $227,231 (it was $120,800 in 2000)
Mean prices in 2015: All housing units: $153,910; Detached houses: $160,371; Townhouses or other attached units: $163,572; In 2-unit structures: $135,909; Mobile homes: $61,949; Occupied boats, RVs, vans, etc.: $24,372
Races in Wascott, WI (2010)
- 69491.0%White alone
- 486.3%Black alone
- 50.7%American Indian alone
- 50.7%Two or more races
- 20.3%Asian alone
Recent articles from our blog. Our writers, many of them Ph.D. graduates or candidates, create easy-to-read articles on a wide variety of topics.
- The decline of the U.S. Agriculture industry visualized Apr 23
- The revenues and net sales of Samsonite Apr 21
- Crowfunding is a fast-increasing market Apr 19
- The number of jobs in Construction is falling across the U.S. Apr 17
- Higher local employment numbers lead to higher payrolls, especially in finance Apr 15
Latest news from Wascott, WI collected exclusively by city-data.com from local newspapers, TV, and radio stations
Ancestries: German (30.0%), Norwegian (17.5%), Irish (14.0%), Swedish (12.7%), Polish (9.9%), English (8.8%).
Current Local Time: CST time zone
Elevation: 1090 feet
Land area: 133.0 square miles.
Population density: 5.7 people per square mile(very low).
For population 25 years and over in Wascott:
- High school or higher: 85.8%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 19.5%
- Graduate or professional degree: 6.6%
- Unemployed: 4.5%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 40.8 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Wascott town:
- Never married: 12.1%
- Now married: 68.5%
- Separated: 0.3%
- Widowed: 11.1%
- Divorced: 8.0%
13 residents are foreign born
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units in 2000:
|Wascott town:||1.4% ($1,712)|
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Duluth, MN (42.5 miles , pop. 86,918).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: St. Paul, MN (105.2 miles , pop. 287,151).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: Chicago, IL (365.6 miles , pop. 2,896,016).
Nearest cities: Minong, WI (2.6 miles ), Gordon, WI (2.6 miles ), Frog Creek, WI (2.9 miles) , Solon Springs, WI (3.3 miles ), Chicog, WI (3.4 miles ), Gull Lake, WI (3.8 miles) , Blaine, WI (3.9 miles ), Dairyland, WI (4.0 miles) .
Latitude: 46.19 N, Longitude: 91.85 W
Area code commonly used in this area: 715
Unemployment by year (%)
- Construction (20%)
- Public administration (9%)
- Accommodation and food services (7%)
- Printing and related support activities (6%)
- Machinery (6%)
- Motor vehicle and parts dealers (4%)
- Truck transportation (4%)
- Health care (20%)
- Educational services (17%)
- Accommodation and food services (13%)
- Construction (7%)
- U. S. Postal service (5%)
- Food (4%)
- Administrative and support and waste management services (4%)
- Construction laborers (7%)
- Top executives (7%)
- Other sales and related workers including supervisors (7%)
- Laborers and material movers, hand (6%)
- Life and physical scientists (5%)
- Engineers (4%)
- Retail sales workers except cashiers (4%)
- Other management occupations except farmers and farm managers (23%)
- Secretaries and administrative assistants (8%)
- Other healthcare support occupations (5%)
- Other sales and related workers including supervisors (5%)
- Social scientists and related workers (4%)
- Registered nurses (4%)
- Material recording, scheduling, dispatching, and distributing workers (4%)
Average climate in Wascott, Wisconsin
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Wascott-area historical tornado activity is significantly below Wisconsin state average. It is 56% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 6/18/2001, a category F3 (max. wind speeds 158-206 mph) tornado 25.8 miles away from the Wascott town center killed 2 people and injured 16 people and caused $10 million in damages.
On 6/30/1968, a category F2 (max. wind speeds 113-157 mph) tornado 5.2 miles away from the town center injured 2 people and caused between $50,000 and $500,000 in damages.
Earthquake activity:Wascott-area historical earthquake activity is below Wisconsin state average. It is 95% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 7/9/1975 at 14:54:15, a magnitude 4.6 (4.6 MB, Class: Light, Intensity: IV - V) earthquake occurred 204.7 miles away from the city center
On 6/5/1993 at 01:24:53, a magnitude 4.1 (4.1 LG, Depth: 6.2 mi) earthquake occurred 216.6 miles away from Wascott center
On 10/20/1995 at 15:57:18, a magnitude 3.7 (3.7 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi, Class: Light, Intensity: II - III) earthquake occurred 242.4 miles away from the city center
On 3/4/1983 at 06:32:18, a magnitude 4.6 (4.4 MB, 4.6 LG, 4.4 ML) earthquake occurred 392.7 miles away from the city center
On 6/28/2004 at 06:10:52, a magnitude 4.2 (4.0 MB, 4.2 MW, Depth: 6.2 mi) earthquake occurred 359.0 miles away from Wascott center
On 2/9/1994 at 08:45:35, a magnitude 3.1 (3.1 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 173.2 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: regional Lg-wave magnitude (LG), body-wave magnitude (MB), local magnitude (ML), moment magnitude (MW)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Douglas County (7) is smaller than the US average (13).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 5
Emergencies Declared: 2
Causes of natural disasters: Floods: 5, Storms: 3, Drought: 1, Heavy Rain: 1, Hurricane: 1, Wind: 1 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Wascott:
- Wisconsin Indianhead Technical College (about 31 miles; Shell Lake, WI; Full-time enrollment: 2,414)
- University of Wisconsin-Superior (about 38 miles; Superior, WI; FT enrollment: 2,302)
- Lake Superior College (about 44 miles; Duluth, MN; FT enrollment: 3,768)
- University of Minnesota-Duluth (about 45 miles; Duluth, MN; FT enrollment: 10,612)
- The College of Saint Scholastica (about 45 miles; Duluth, MN; FT enrollment: 3,762)
- University of Wisconsin-Stout (about 91 miles; Menomonie, WI; FT enrollment: 8,120)
- Century College (about 97 miles; White Bear Lake, MN; FT enrollment: 7,393)
Notable location: Wascott Fire Department (A). Display/hide its location on the map
Cemetery: Wascott Cemetery (1). Display/hide its location on the map
Lakes: Mulligan Lake (A), One Mile Lake (B), Person Lake (C), Peterson Lake (D), Pickerel Lake (E), Rainbow Lake (F), Red Lake (G), Round Lake (H). Display/hide their locations on the map
Rivers and creeks: Ounce River (A), Haymaker Creek (B), Buckley Creek (C), Sheosh Creek (D), O'Hara Creek (E), Crotte Creek (F), Cole Creek (G), Snake Creek (H). Display/hide their locations on the map
Park in Wascott: Brule River State Forest Annex (1). Display/hide its location on the map
|This town:||2.0 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
Likely homosexual households (counted as self-reported same-sex unmarried-partner households)
- Lesbian couples: 2.9% of all households
- Gay men: 0.9% of all households
72 people in state prisons in 2000
Educational Attainment (%) in 2000
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2000
Presidential Elections Results
Graphs represent county-level data. Detailed 2008 Election Results
Religion statistics for Wascott town (based on Douglas County data)
Food Environment Statistics:
|Douglas County:||2.06 / 10,000 pop.|
|Wisconsin:||1.86 / 10,000 pop.|
|Douglas County:||0.46 / 10,000 pop.|
|Wisconsin:||0.38 / 10,000 pop.|
|Douglas County:||5.26 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||4.12 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||9.15 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||8.64 / 10,000 pop.|
4.63% of this county's 2011 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2010 ($29,632 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved from foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2010 and 2011:
|from St. Louis County, MN||1.63% ($27,641 average AGI)|
|from Bayfield County, WI||0.16% ($26,222)|
|from Hennepin County, MN||0.10% ($25,722)|
5.22% of this county's 2010 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2011 ($30,204 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved to foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2010 and 2011:
Strongest AM radio stations in Wascott:
- WEBC (560 AM; 50 kW; DULUTH, MN)
- WHSM (910 AM; 5 kW; HAYWARD, WI; Owner: QB BROADCASTING, LTD.)
- WDSM (710 AM; 10 kW; SUPERIOR, WI; Owner: MIDWEST COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- WWJC (850 AM; daytime; 10 kW; DULUTH, MN; Owner: WWJC, INC.)
- WCCO (830 AM; 50 kW; MINNEAPOLIS, MN; Owner: INFINITY MEDIA CORPORATION)
- KDAL (610 AM; 5 kW; DULUTH, MN; Owner: MIDWEST COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- WCTS (1030 AM; 50 kW; MAPLEWOOD, MN; Owner: CNTL. BAPT. THEO/AL SEMI MINNEAPOLIS)
- KSTP (1500 AM; 50 kW; ST. PAUL, MN; Owner: KSTP-AM, LLC (DELAWARE))
- KTIS (900 AM; 25 kW; MINNEAPOLIS, MN; Owner: NORTHWESTERN COLLEGE)
- KFAN (1130 AM; 50 kW; MINNEAPOLIS, MN; Owner: AMFM RADIO LICENSES, L.L.C.)
- WAQE (1090 AM; daytime; 5 kW; RICE LAKE, WI; Owner: TKC, INC.)
- WSPT (1010 AM; 50 kW; STEVENS POINT, WI)
- WSAU (550 AM; 20 kW; WAUSAU, WI; Owner: WRIG, INC.)
Strongest FM radio stations in Wascott:
- WHSA (89.9 FM; BRULE, WI; Owner: STATE OF WISCONSIN - EDUCATIONAL COMMUNICATIONS BOARD)
- WHSM-FM (101.1 FM; HAYWARD, WI; Owner: QB BROADCASTING, LTD.)
- WRLS-FM (92.3 FM; HAYWARD, WI; Owner: VACATIONLAND BROADCASTER, INC.)
- WOJB (88.9 FM; RESERVE, WI; Owner: LAC COURTE OREILLES OJIBWA PUBLIC)
TV broadcast stations around Wascott:
- WDIO-TV (Channel 10; DULUTH, MN; Owner: WDIO-TV, LLC)
- National Bridge Inventory (NBI) Statistics
- 8Number of bridges
- 13m43ftTotal length
- $771,000Total costs
- 1,500Total average daily traffic
- 51Total average daily truck traffic
- 2,320Total future (year 2030) average daily traffic
FCC Registered Private Land Mobile Towers:2
- Fire Hall On Cty T 1 3/4 Mi W Of Hwy 53 (Lat: 46.172167 Lon: -91.839083), Call Sign: KNEW619, Licensee ID: L00111931
Assigned Frequencies: 154.295 MHz, 154.370 MHzGrant Date: 12/24/2002, Expiration Date: 02/16/2013, Cancellation Date: 04/20/2013Registrant: Wascott, Town Of, Wascott Vol Fire Dept, Wascott, WI 54890
- GCC, 10401 E Hwy G (Lat: 46.241611 Lon: -91.791861), Type: Tower, Structure height: 30.5 m, Overall height: 36.5 m, Call Sign: KNBS886
Assigned Frequencies: 151.190 MHz, 46.5400 MHz, 159.247 MHz, 159.247 MHzGrant Date: 11/17/2010, Expiration Date: 02/13/2021Registrant: Wisconsin Department Of Corrections, 3099 East Washington Avenue, Madison, WI 53707-7925, Phone: (920) 436-3309, Fax: (920) 432-5388, Email:
Drinking water stations with addresses in Wascott and their reported violations in the past:WILDERNESS WAY (Population served: 40, Groundwater):
Past health violations:STOP A SEC (Population served: 25, Groundwater):
Past monitoring violations:
- MCL, Monthly (TCR) - In SEP-2009, Contaminant: Coliform. Follow-up actions: St Boil Water Order (SEP-11-2009), St Violation/Reminder Notice (SEP-11-2009), St Public Notif requested (SEP-11-2009), St Public Notif received (SEP-16-2009), St Public Notif issued (SEP-16-2009), St Compliance achieved (MAY-04-2010)
- MCL, Monthly (TCR) - In JUN-2009, Contaminant: Coliform. Follow-up actions: St Boil Water Order (JUL-02-2009), St Violation/Reminder Notice (JUL-02-2009), St Public Notif requested (JUL-02-2009), St Public Notif issued (JUL-16-2009), St Public Notif received (JUL-16-2009), St Compliance achieved (AUG-19-2009)
- MCL, Monthly (TCR) - In SEP-2006, Contaminant: Coliform. Follow-up actions: St Other (SEP-14-2006), St Public Notif issued (SEP-16-2006), St Public Notif received (SEP-16-2006), St Other (NOV-16-2006), St Compliance achieved (MAY-14-2007)
- MCL, Monthly (TCR) - In AUG-2005, Contaminant: Coliform. Follow-up actions: St Public Notif requested (JAN-06-2006), St Violation/Reminder Notice (JAN-06-2006), St Boil Water Order (JAN-06-2006), St Public Notif issued (JAN-09-2006), St Public Notif received (JAN-09-2006), St Compliance achieved (JUL-13-2006)
- One routine major monitoring violation
Past health violations:
- MCL, Monthly (TCR) - In JUL-2006, Contaminant: Coliform. Follow-up actions: St Boil Water Order (JUL-20-2006), St Violation/Reminder Notice (JUL-20-2006), St Public Notif requested (JUL-20-2006), St Compliance achieved (JUL-28-2006), St Public Notif received (OCT-10-2006)
Drinking water stations with addresses in Wascott that have no violations reported:
- WASCOTT TOWN HALL (Population served: 25, Primary Water Source Type: Groundwater)
- WASCOTT BALL FIELD (Population served: 25, Primary Water Source Type: Groundwater)
2006 National Fire Incident Reporting System Incidents:
- Fire: 1
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Bottled, tank, or LP gas (70%)
- Wood (13%)
- Fuel oil, kerosene, etc. (9%)
- Electricity (7%)
- Utility gas (1%)
Wascott compared to Wisconsin state average:
- Unemployed percentage significantly below state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Median age significantly above state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage significantly below state average.
- Renting percentage significantly below state average.
- Length of stay since moving in significantly above state average.
- Number of rooms per house significantly below state average.
- House age significantly below state average.
- Institutionalized population percentage significantly above state average.
State forum archive: