|Median resident age:||36.9 years|
|Tennessee median age:||35.9 years|
Zip code: 37888
Washburn CCD income, earnings, and wages data
Estimated median house or condo value in 2012: $76,198 (it was $55,500 in 2000)
- White alone - 2,461 (98.1%)
- Two or more races - 21 (0.8%)
- Hispanic - 17 (0.7%)
- American Indian alone - 5 (0.2%)
- Asian alone - 3 (0.1%)
- Native Hawaiian and Other Pacific Islander alone - 1 (0.04%)
Current Local Time: EST time zone
Elevation: 1404 feet
Land area: 56.2 square miles.
Population density: 49 people per square mile(very low).
For population 25 years and over in Washburn:
- High school or higher: 57.9%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 4.8%
- Graduate or professional degree: 1.2%
- Unemployed: 4.7%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 38.0 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Washburn CCD:
- Never married: 16.7%
- Now married: 67.3%
- Separated: 1.8%
- Widowed: 7.7%
- Divorced: 8.3%
According to our research of Tennessee and other state lists there were 4 registered sex offenders living in Washburn, Tennessee as of February 27, 2015.
The ratio of number of residents in Washburn to the number of sex offenders is 684 to 1.
The number of registered sex offenders compared to the number of residents in this city is near the state average.
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units in 2000:
|Washburn CCD:||0.4% ($235)|
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Knoxville, TN (29.3 miles , pop. 173,890).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: Fayette, KY (129.3 miles , pop. 260,512).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: Chicago, IL (441.2 miles , pop. 2,896,016).
Nearest cities: Rutledge, TN (2.3 miles ), Big Barren Creek, TN (2.9 miles ), New Tazewell, TN (3.1 miles ), Luttrell, TN (3.2 miles ), Tazewell, TN (3.3 miles ), Blaine, TN (3.4 miles ), Thorn Hill, TN (3.4 miles ), Maynardville, TN (3.4 miles ).
Latitude: 36.30 N, Longitude: 83.61 W
Area code: 865
Unemployment by year (%)
- Construction (20%)
- Agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting (10%)
- Transportation equipment (7%)
- Furniture and related product manufacturing (7%)
- Truck transportation (6%)
- Building material and garden equipment and supplies dealers (5%)
- Repair and maintenance (5%)
- Accommodation and food services (9%)
- Educational services (9%)
- Health care (9%)
- Department and other general merchandise stores (8%)
- Apparel (7%)
- Miscellaneous manufacturing (7%)
- Food and beverage stores (7%)
- Metal workers and plastic workers (11%)
- Driver/sales workers and truck drivers (7%)
- Electrical equipment mechanics and other installation, maintenance, and repair occupations including supervisors (6%)
- Farmers and farm managers (5%)
- Other production occupations including supervisors (5%)
- Construction laborers (4%)
- Vehicle and mobile equipment mechanics, installers, and repairers (4%)
- Other sales and related workers including supervisors (12%)
- Other production occupations including supervisors (10%)
- Textile, apparel, and furnishings workers (9%)
- Secretaries and administrative assistants (8%)
- Cashiers (7%)
- Customer service representatives (5%)
- Personal appearance workers (4%)
Average climate in Washburn, Tennessee
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Washburn-area historical tornado activity is significantly below Tennessee state average. It is 48% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 5/9/1988, a category F3 (max. wind speeds 158-206 mph) tornado 21.0 miles away from the Washburn place center killed one person and injured 15 people and caused between $5,000,000 and $50,000,000 in damages.
On 2/21/1993, a category F3 tornado 24.4 miles away from the place center injured 3 people and caused between $500,000 and $5,000,000 in damages.
Earthquake activity:Washburn-area historical earthquake activity is near Tennessee state average. It is 78% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 7/27/1980 at 18:52:21, a magnitude 5.2 (5.1 MB, 4.7 MS, 5.0 UK, 5.2 UK, Class: Moderate, Intensity: VI - VII) earthquake occurred 133.2 miles away from the city center
On 11/30/1973 at 07:48:41, a magnitude 4.7 (4.7 MB, 4.6 ML, Class: Light, Intensity: IV - V) earthquake occurred 39.8 miles away from Washburn center
On 4/29/2003 at 08:59:39, a magnitude 4.9 (4.4 MB, 4.6 MW, 4.9 LG, Depth: 12.2 mi) earthquake occurred 169.0 miles away from the city center
On 8/2/1974 at 08:52:09, a magnitude 4.9 (4.3 MB, 4.9 LG) earthquake occurred 179.4 miles away from the city center
On 4/18/2008 at 09:36:59, a magnitude 5.4 (5.1 MB, 4.8 MS, 5.4 MW, 5.2 MW, Depth: 8.9 mi) earthquake occurred 278.3 miles away from Washburn center
On 9/7/1988 at 02:28:09, a magnitude 4.6 (4.5 MB, 4.6 LG) earthquake occurred 128.5 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: regional Lg-wave magnitude (LG), body-wave magnitude (MB), local magnitude (ML), surface-wave magnitude (MS), moment magnitude (MW)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Grainger County (10) is near the US average (12).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 7
Emergencies Declared: 2
Causes of natural disasters: Floods: 6, Storms: 5, Heavy Rains: 2, Tornadoes: 2, Fire: 1, Flash Flood: 1, Hurricane: 1, Snowfall: 1, Winter Storm: 1 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Hospitals and medical centers near Washburn:
- APPALACHIAN DIALYSIS (Dialysis Facility, about 10 miles away; NEW TAZEWELL, TN)
- WARIOTA HLTH CARE CTR (Nursing Home, about 10 miles away; MAYNARDVILLE, TN)
- WILLOW RIDGE CARE AND REHABILITATION CENTER (Nursing Home, about 10 miles away; MAYNARDVILLE, TN)
- CLAIBORNE HOME HEALTH CARE (Home Health Center, about 11 miles away; TAZEWELL, TN)
- AMEDISYS HOME HEALTH OF TENNESSEE (Home Health Center, about 11 miles away; TAZEWELL, TN)
- LAUREL MANOR HEALTH CARE (Nursing Home, about 11 miles away; NEW TAZEWELL, TN)
- CLAIBORNE COUNTY HOSPITAL Acute Care Hospitals (about 11 miles away; TAZEWELL, TN)
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Washburn:
- Lincoln Memorial University (about 20 miles; Harrogate, TN; Full-time enrollment: 3,706)
- Walters State Community College (about 21 miles; Morristown, TN; FT enrollment: 4,359)
- The University of Tennessee-Knoxville (about 30 miles; Knoxville, TN; FT enrollment: 25,483)
- Pellissippi State Community College (about 40 miles; Knoxville, TN; FT enrollment: 7,271)
- University of the Cumberlands (about 44 miles; Williamsburg, KY; FT enrollment: 3,585)
- Tusculum College (about 48 miles; Greeneville, TN; FT enrollment: 2,070)
- Southeast Kentucky Community and Technical College (about 58 miles; Cumberland, KY; FT enrollment: 2,196)
Public high school in Washburn:
- Washburn School (Students: 642; Location: 7925 Highway 131; Grades: K-12)
Notable locations in Washburn: Dutch (A), Black Fox (B), Washburn Volunteer Fire Department (C). Display/hide their locations on the map
Churches in Washburn include: Salem Church (A), Fairview Church (B), Locust Grove Church (C), Dutch Valley Church (D), Powder Springs Church (E), Liberty Hill Church (F), Elm Springs United Baptist Church of Jesus Christ (G), Black Fox Primitive Baptist Church (H), Beeler Chapel (I). Display/hide their locations on the map
Cemeteries: Hopson Cemetery (1), Scott Cemetery (2), Thomas Cemetery (3), Seymoure Cemetery (4), Johnson Cemetery (5), Warter Cemetery (6), Kitts Cemetery (7). Display/hide their locations on the map
Streams, rivers, and creeks: Hogskin Creek (A), Fox Creek (B), Dutch Valley Creek (C), Dotson Creek (D), Cool Branch (E), Edderson Branch (F), Williams Creek (G), Puncheon Camp Creek (H). Display/hide their locations on the map
Air pollution and air quality trends
(lower is better)
Air Quality Index (AQI) level in 2012 was 106. This is significantly worse than average.
Carbon Monoxide (CO) [ppm] level in 2000 was 0.127. This is significantly better than average. Closest monitor was 15.0 miles away from the city center.
Ozone [ppb] level in 2012 was 29.9. This is about average. Closest monitor was 9.4 miles away from the city center.
Particulate Matter (PM10) [µg/m3] level in 2012 was 24.9. This is worse than average. Closest monitor was 7.5 miles away from the city center.
Particulate Matter (PM2.5) [µg/m3] level in 2012 was 10.2. This is about average. Closest monitor was 22.6 miles away from the city center.
|This place:||2.5 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
Likely homosexual households (counted as self-reported same-sex unmarried-partner households)
- Lesbian couples: 0.1% of all households
- Gay men: 0.1% of all households
Residents with income below the poverty level in 2009:
Residents with income below 50% of the poverty level in 2009:
Washburn compared to Tennessee state average:
- Median house value significantly below state average.
- Unemployed percentage below state average.
- Black race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage significantly below state average.
- Renting percentage significantly below state average.
- Length of stay since moving in significantly above state average.
- Number of rooms per house significantly below state average.
- House age significantly below state average.
- Number of college students significantly below state average.
- Percentage of population with a bachelor's degree or higher significantly below state average.
Banks with branches in Washburn (2011 data):
- Citizens Bank and Trust Company of Grainger County: Liberty Hill Branch at 125 Washburn Road, branch established on 1988/10/17. Info updated 2010/06/14: Bank assets: $181.4 mil, Deposits: $148.7 mil, headquarters in Rutledge, TN, positive income, 5 total offices, Holding Company: Citizens Of Grainger County Corporation
Educational Attainment (%) in 2000
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2000
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Electricity (54%)
- Wood (19%)
- Bottled, tank, or LP gas (17%)
- Fuel oil, kerosene, etc. (8%)
- No fuel used (1%)
- Coal or coke (1%)
Presidential Elections Results
1996 Presidential Elections Results
2000 Presidential Elections Results
2004 Presidential Elections Results
2008 Presidential Elections Results
2012 Presidential Elections Results
Graphs represent county-level data. Detailed 2008 Election Results
Religion statistics for Washburn CCD (based on Grainger County data)Percentage of population affiliated with a religious congregations: 65.03%
Breakdown of population affiliated with a religious congregations
|Name||Southern Baptist Convention||United Methodist Church||Church of God (Cleveland, Tennessee)||National Association of Free Will Baptists||Other|
Tables represent county-level data.
Food Environment Statistics:
|Grainger County:||2.22 / 10,000 pop.|
|Tennessee:||1.99 / 10,000 pop.|
|Grainger County:||5.77 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||5.16 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||1.78 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||6.56 / 10,000 pop.|
6.38% of this county's 2011 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2010 ($31,959 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved from foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2010 and 2011:
|from Hamblen County, TN||1.11% ($23,975 average AGI)|
|from Knox County, TN||1.04% ($30,618)|
|from Jefferson County, TN||0.73% ($28,170)|
6.25% of this county's 2010 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2011 ($27,520 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved to foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2010 and 2011:
Strongest AM radio stations in Washburn:
- WKVL (850 AM; daytime; 50 kW; KNOXVILLE, TN; Owner: HORNE RADIO, LLC)
- WNOX (990 AM; 10 kW; KNOXVILLE, TN)
- WCRK (1150 AM; 5 kW; MORRISTOWN, TN; Owner: RADIO ACQUISITION CORP.)
- WMTN (1300 AM; 5 kW; MORRISTOWN, TN)
- WVLZ (1180 AM; daytime; 10 kW; KNOXVILLE, TN; Owner: KIRKLAND WIRELESS BROADCASTERS, INC.)
- WRJZ (620 AM; 5 kW; KNOXVILLE, TN; Owner: TENNESSEE MEDIA ASSOCIATES, INC)
- WQBB (1040 AM; daytime; 10 kW; POWELL, TN; Owner: JOURNAL BROADCAST CORPORATION)
- WMIK (560 AM; 3 kW; MIDDLESBORO, KY; Owner: GATEWAY BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WFGW (1010 AM; 50 kW; BLACK MOUNTAIN, NC; Owner: BLUE RIDGE BROADCASTING CORP.)
- WSEV (930 AM; 5 kW; SEVIERVILLE, TN; Owner: EAST TENNESSEE RADIO GROUP, L.P.)
- WLFJ (660 AM; daytime; 50 kW; GREENVILLE, SC; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WMEN (760 AM; daytime; 2 kW; KNOXVILLE, TN; Owner: THOMAS MOFFIT JR.)
- WLIK (1270 AM; 5 kW; NEWPORT, TN; Owner: WLIK, INC)
Strongest FM radio stations in Washburn:
- WIMZ-FM (103.5 FM; KNOXVILLE, TN; Owner: SOUTH CENTRAL COMM., CORP.)
- WCTU (105.9 FM; TAZEWELL, TN; Owner: STAIR COMPANY, INC)
- WMIK-FM (92.7 FM; MIDDLESBORO, KY; Owner: GATEWAY BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WOKI-FM (100.3 FM; OAK RIDGE, TN; Owner: OAK RIDGE FM, INC.)
- WMXK (94.1 FM; MORRISTOWN, TN; Owner: HORNE RADIO, LLC)
- WUOT (91.9 FM; KNOXVILLE, TN; Owner: UNIVERSITY OF TENNESSEE)
- WIVK-FM (107.7 FM; KNOXVILLE, TN; Owner: CITADEL BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WWST (102.1 FM; SEVIERVILLE, TN; Owner: JOURNAL BROADCAST CORPORATION)
- WBGQ (100.7 FM; BULLS GAP, TN; Owner: CHEROKEE BROADCASTING)
- WDVX (89.9 FM; CLINTON, TN; Owner: CUMBERLAND COMMUNITIES COMMUNI CORP.)
- WEZG (99.3 FM; JEFFERSON CITY, TN; Owner: EAST TENNESSEE RADIO GROUP, L.P.)
- WJXB-FM (97.5 FM; KNOXVILLE, TN; Owner: SOUTH CENTRAL COMMUNICATIONS CORP.)
- WJDT (106.5 FM; ROGERSVILLE, TN; Owner: C & S BROADCASTING)
- WRMX-FM (106.7 FM; NORRIS, TN; Owner: SOUTH CENTRAL COMMUNICATIONS CORPORATION)
- WYLV (89.1 FM; ALCOA, TN; Owner: FOOTHILLS BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WTFM (98.5 FM; KINGSPORT, TN; Owner: HOLSTON VALLEY BROADCASTING CORP.)
- W237AR (95.3 FM; HAZELWOOD, ETC., NC; Owner: WESTERN NORTH CAROLINA PUBLIC RADIO)
- WNPC-FM (92.9 FM; NEWPORT, TN; Owner: HARRIS BROADCASTING INC DBA WNPC INC)
- WRIL (106.3 FM; PINEVILLE, KY; Owner: PINE HILLS BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WAXM (93.5 FM; BIG STONE GAP, VA; Owner: VALLEY BROADCASTING, INC.)
TV broadcast stations around Washburn:
- WVLR (Channel 48; TAZEWELL, TN; Owner: VOLUNTEER CHRISTIAN TELEVISION, INC.)
- WKOP-TV (Channel 15; KNOXVILLE, TN; Owner: EAST TENNESSEE PUBLIC COMMUNICATIONS CORP.)
- WBIR-TV (Channel 10; KNOXVILLE, TN; Owner: GANNETT PACIFIC CORPORATION)
- WVLT-TV (Channel 8; KNOXVILLE, TN; Owner: WVLT LICENSEE CORP.)
- WATE-TV (Channel 6; KNOXVILLE, TN; Owner: WATE, G.P.)
- WTNZ (Channel 43; KNOXVILLE, TN; Owner: RAYCOM AMERICA, INC.)
- WEEE-LP (Channel 32; KNOXVILLE, TN; Owner: TIGER EYE BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WEZK-LP (Channel 28; KNOXVILLE, TN; Owner: SOUTH CENTRAL COMMUNICATIONS CORP.)
- WDTT-LP (Channel 38; LENOIR CITY, TN; Owner: WORD OF GOD FELLOWSHIP, INC.)
- W46DC (Channel 46; KNOXVILLE, TN; Owner: TRINITY BROADCASTING NETWORK)
- W50CG (Channel 50; KNOXVILLE, TN; Owner: THREE ANGELS BROADCASTING NETWORK, INC.)
- W56CM (Channel 56; KNOXVILLE, TN; Owner: VENTANA TELEVISION, INC.)
Fatal road traffic accident statistics for 1975 - 2011 (per 100,000 population)
- Fatal accident count: 3
- Vehicles involved in fatal accidents: 3
- Fatal accidents caused by drunken drivers: 0
- Fatalities: 3
- Persons involved in fatal accidents: 5
- Pedestrians involved in fatal accidents: 0
- Fatal accident count: 149
- Vehicles involved in fatal accidents: 235
- Fatal accidents caused by drunken drivers: 52
- Fatalities: 164
- Persons involved in fatal accidents: 379
- Pedestrians involved in fatal accidents: 14
Washburn fatal accident list:
Jan 25, 2002 06:50 PM, Sr-131, Vehicles: 1, Persons: 2, Fatalities: 1
May 8, 1986 09:20 PM, Vehicles: 1, Persons: 2, Fatalities: 1
FCC Registered Amateur Radio Licenses:9 (See the full list of FCC Registered Amateur Radio Licenses in Washburn)
FAA Registered Aircraft:1
- Aircraft: CESSNA 120 (Category: Land, Seats: 2, Weight: Up to 12,499 Pounds, Speed: 90 mph), Engine: CONT MOTOR C90 SERIES (95 HP) (Reciprocating)
N-Number: 7227E , Serial Number: 9454, Airworthiness Date: 06/12/1954
Registrant (Individual): Lothar S Boeck, 287 Norris Pt, Washburn, TN 37888
2006 National Fire Incident Reporting System Incidents:
- Hazardous Condition: 1