|Median resident age:||35.8 years|
|Kentucky median age:||35.9 years|
Zip code: 42261
Welchs Creek CCD income, earnings, and wages data
Estimated median house or condo value in 2012: $74,112 (it was $50,000 in 2000)
- White alone - 3,281 (97.9%)
- Black alone - 26 (0.8%)
- Two or more races - 22 (0.7%)
- Hispanic - 17 (0.5%)
- American Indian alone - 3 (0.09%)
- Asian alone - 1 (0.03%)
Current Local Time: CST time zone
Elevation: 600 feet
Land area: 90.6 square miles.
Population density: 38 people per square mile(very low).
For population 25 years and over in Welchs Creek:
- High school or higher: 58.4%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 5.1%
- Graduate or professional degree: 2.8%
- Unemployed: 6.4%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 27.1 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Welchs Creek CCD:
- Never married: 15.2%
- Now married: 67.7%
- Separated: 2.2%
- Widowed: 6.7%
- Divorced: 10.4%
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units in 2000:
|Welchs Creek CCD:||0.6% ($281)|
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Owensboro, KY (40.8 miles , pop. 54,067).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: Louisville, KY (79.3 miles , pop. 256,231).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: Chicago, IL (318.0 miles , pop. 2,896,016).
Nearest cities: Morgantown, KY (2.8 miles ), Jetson, KY (2.9 miles ), Woodbury, KY (3.0 miles) , Horse Branch, KY (3.2 miles ), Caneyville, KY (3.3 miles ), Rosine, KY (3.4 miles) , Sunfish, KY (3.5 miles ), Greencastle, KY (3.6 miles ).
Latitude: 37.32 N, Longitude: 86.63 W
Area code commonly used in this area: 270
Unemployment by year (%)
- Construction (23%)
- Metal and metal products (9%)
- Agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting (9%)
- Plastics and rubber products (7%)
- Utilities (5%)
- Wood products (4%)
- Transportation equipment (4%)
- Educational services (15%)
- Health care (15%)
- Transportation equipment (10%)
- Accommodation and food services (7%)
- Public administration (7%)
- Plastics and rubber products (7%)
- Food and beverage stores (7%)
- Metal workers and plastic workers (10%)
- Other production occupations including supervisors (10%)
- Construction trades workers except carpenters, electricians, painters, plumbers, and construction laborers (10%)
- Driver/sales workers and truck drivers (7%)
- Supervisors of construction and extraction workers (6%)
- Farmers and farm managers (5%)
- Laborers and material movers, hand (4%)
- Other sales and related workers including supervisors (7%)
- Assemblers and fabricators (7%)
- Secretaries and administrative assistants (7%)
- Other office and administrative support workers including supervisors (6%)
- Health technologists and technicians (6%)
- Other production occupations including supervisors (6%)
- Preschool, kindergarten, elementary and middle school teachers (5%)
Average climate in Welchs Creek, Kentucky
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Welchs Creek-area historical tornado activity is slightly above Kentucky state average. It is 51% greater than the overall U.S. average.
On 4/3/1974, a category F4 (max. wind speeds 207-260 mph) tornado 7.9 miles away from the Welchs Creek place center injured 2 people.
On 4/3/1974, a category F5 (max. wind speeds 261-318 mph) tornado 29.2 miles away from the place center killed 31 people and injured 270 people and caused between $500,000 and $5,000,000 in damages.
Earthquake activity:Welchs Creek-area historical earthquake activity is near Kentucky state average. It is 75% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 4/18/2008 at 09:36:59, a magnitude 5.4 (5.1 MB, 4.8 MS, 5.4 MW, 5.2 MW, Depth: 8.9 mi, Class: Moderate, Intensity: VI - VII) earthquake occurred 104.5 miles away from the city center
On 6/18/2002 at 17:37:15, a magnitude 5.0 (4.3 MB, 4.6 MW, 5.0 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 78.5 miles away from Welchs Creek center
On 6/10/1987 at 23:48:54, a magnitude 5.1 (4.9 MB, 4.4 MS, 4.6 MS, 5.1 LG) earthquake occurred 124.7 miles away from the city center
On 7/27/1980 at 18:52:21, a magnitude 5.2 (5.1 MB, 4.7 MS, 5.0 UK, 5.2 UK) earthquake occurred 159.1 miles away from the city center
On 4/18/2008 at 15:14:16, a magnitude 4.8 (4.5 MB, 4.8 MW, 4.6 MW, Depth: 6.2 mi, Class: Light, Intensity: IV - V) earthquake occurred 104.4 miles away from Welchs Creek center
On 9/26/1990 at 13:18:51, a magnitude 5.0 (4.7 MB, 4.8 LG, 5.0 LG, Depth: 7.7 mi) earthquake occurred 160.5 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: regional Lg-wave magnitude (LG), body-wave magnitude (MB), surface-wave magnitude (MS), moment magnitude (MW)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Butler County (12) is near the US average (12).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 10
Emergencies Declared: 2
Causes of natural disasters: Floods: 7, Storms: 7, Tornadoes: 3, Mudslides: 2, Winter Storms: 2, Blizzard: 1, Freeze: 1, Hurricane: 1, Snow: 1 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Welchs Creek:
- Southcentral Kentucky Community and Technical College (about 25 miles; Bowling Green, KY; Full-time enrollment: 2,794)
- Western Kentucky University (about 25 miles; Bowling Green, KY; FT enrollment: 16,942)
- Owensboro Community and Technical College (about 38 miles; Owensboro, KY; FT enrollment: 2,754)
- Madisonville Community College (about 49 miles; Madisonville, KY; FT enrollment: 2,082)
- Elizabethtown Community and Technical College (about 50 miles; Elizabethtown, KY; FT enrollment: 3,762)
- Hopkinsville Community College (about 57 miles; Hopkinsville, KY; FT enrollment: 2,269)
- Volunteer State Community College (about 67 miles; Gallatin, TN; FT enrollment: 5,311)
Notable locations in Welchs Creek: Elfie (A), Green River Boys Camp (B), Fourth District Volunteer Fire Department Main Station (C), Fifth District Volunteer Fire Department Station 2 (D), Fifth District Fire Department (E), Cromwell Fire Department (F). Display/hide their locations on the map
Churches in Welchs Creek include: Fairview Church (A), Walnut Grove Church (B), Flatwoods Church (C), Flener Chapel (D), Zion Harmony Church (E), McKendree Chapel (F), Mount Liberty Church (G), Mount Vernon Church (H), New Hope Church (I). Display/hide their locations on the map
Cemeteries: Henderson Cemetery (1), Embry Cemetery (2), Evans Cemetery (3), Needmore Cemetery (4), Gary Cemetery (5), Smith Cemetery (6). Display/hide their locations on the map
Streams, rivers, and creeks: Com Creek (A), Welch Creek (B), Woosley Creek (C), Wild Branch (D), Sixes Creek (E), Mauldon Branch (F), Long Branch (G), Lindsey Creek (H), New Zion Creek (I). Display/hide their locations on the map
Air pollution and air quality trends
(lower is better)
Air Quality Index (AQI) level in 2000 was 25.5. This is significantly better than average.
Particulate Matter (PM10) [µg/m3] level in 2000 was 19.2. This is about average. Closest monitor was 24.5 miles away from the city center.
|This place:||2.5 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
Likely homosexual households (counted as self-reported same-sex unmarried-partner households)
- Lesbian couples: 0.2% of all households
- Gay men: 0.3% of all households
Residents with income below the poverty level in 2009:
Residents with income below 50% of the poverty level in 2009:
33 people in training schools for juvenile delinquents in 2000
Welchs Creek compared to Kentucky state average:
- Median house value significantly below state average.
- Black race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Median age below state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage significantly below state average.
- Renting percentage below state average.
- Length of stay since moving in significantly above state average.
- Number of rooms per house significantly below state average.
- House age significantly below state average.
- Number of college students below state average.
- Percentage of population with a bachelor's degree or higher significantly below state average.
Educational Attainment (%) in 2000
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2000
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Electricity (42%)
- Bottled, tank, or LP gas (30%)
- Utility gas (13%)
- Wood (10%)
- Fuel oil, kerosene, etc. (4%)
- Coal or coke (1%)
Presidential Elections Results
1996 Presidential Elections Results
2000 Presidential Elections Results
2004 Presidential Elections Results
2008 Presidential Elections Results
2012 Presidential Elections Results
Graphs represent county-level data. Detailed 2008 Election Results
Religion statistics for Welchs Creek CCD (based on Butler County data)Percentage of population affiliated with a religious congregations: 61.44%
Breakdown of population affiliated with a religious congregations
|Name||Southern Baptist Convention||United Methodist Church||Churches of Christ||Catholic Church||Other|
Tables represent county-level data.
Food Environment Statistics:
|Butler County:||5.30 / 10,000 pop.|
|Kentucky:||2.19 / 10,000 pop.|
|Butler County:||0.76 / 10,000 pop.|
|Kentucky:||0.74 / 10,000 pop.|
|Butler County:||4.54 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||4.36 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||5.30 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||5.74 / 10,000 pop.|
4.89% of this county's 2011 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2010 ($27,764 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved from foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2010 and 2011:
|from Warren County, KY||1.46% ($30,145 average AGI)|
|from Ohio County, KY||0.54% ($30,217)|
|from Logan County, KY||0.31% ($35,231)|
5.22% of this county's 2010 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2011 ($25,861 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved to foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2010 and 2011:
Strongest AM radio stations in Welchs Creek:
- WLBQ (1570 AM; 1 kW; MORGANTOWN, KY; Owner: BUTLER COUNTY BROADCASTING CO.)
- WKCT (930 AM; 5 kW; BOWLING GREEN, KY; Owner: DAILY NEWS BROADCASTING CO.)
- WSM (650 AM; 50 kW; NASHVILLE, TN; Owner: GAYLORD ENTERTAINMENT COMPANY)
- WKDA (1200 AM; 50 kW; NASHVILLE, TN; Owner: RADIO NASHVILLE, INC.)
- WAMB (1160 AM; 50 kW; DONELSON, TN; Owner: GREAT SOUTHERN BROADCASTING COMPANY, INC.)
- WHAS (840 AM; 50 kW; LOUISVILLE, KY; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WLAC (1510 AM; 50 kW; NASHVILLE, TN; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WNQM (1300 AM; 50 kW; NASHVILLE, TN; Owner: WNQM. INC.)
- WWAM (820 AM; daytime; 50 kW; JASPER, TN; Owner: SHELTON BROADCASTING SYSTEM)
- WAIA (1600 AM; 1 kW; BEAVER DAM, KY; Owner: STARLIGHT BROADCASTING CO., INC.)
- WRUS (610 AM; 2 kW; RUSSELLVILLE, KY; Owner: LOGAN RADIO INCORPORATED)
- WPLN (1430 AM; 15 kW; MADISON, TN)
- WKVL (850 AM; daytime; 50 kW; KNOXVILLE, TN; Owner: HORNE RADIO, LLC)
Strongest FM radio stations in Welchs Creek:
- WKYU-FM (88.9 FM; BOWLING GREEN, KY; Owner: WESTERN KENTUCKY UNIVERSITY)
- WQXQ (101.9 FM; CENTRAL CITY, KY; Owner: STARLIGHT BROADCASTING CO., INC.)
- WKLX (100.7 FM; BROWNSVILLE, KY; Owner: CHARLES M. ANDERSON)
- WBKR (92.5 FM; OWENSBORO, KY; Owner: REGENT BROADCASTING OF EVANSVILLE/OWENSBORO, INC.)
- WUBT (101.1 FM; RUSSELLVILLE, KY; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WGGC (95.1 FM; GLASGOW, KY; Owner: HERITAGE COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- WCVK (90.7 FM; BOWLING GREEN, KY; Owner: BOWLING GREEN COMMTY. B/CSTG, INC.)
- WBVR-FM (96.7 FM; AUBURN, KY; Owner: FOREVER COMMUNICATIONS INC)
- WUHU (107.1 FM; SMITHS GROVE, KY; Owner: FOREVER COMMUNICATIONS INC)
- WXMZ (106.3 FM; HARTFORD, KY; Owner: STARLIGHT BROADCASTING CO., INC.)
- WWHR (91.7 FM; BOWLING GREEN, KY; Owner: WESTERN KENTUCKY UNIVERSITY)
- W203BI (88.5 FM; BOWLING GREEN, KY; Owner: WAY-FM MEDIA GROUP, INC.)
- WNTC (103.9 FM; DRAKESBORO, KY; Owner: NASHVILLE'S SPORTSRADIO, INCORPORATED)
- WBFI (91.5 FM; MCDANIELS, KY; Owner: BETHEL FELLOWSHIP, INC.)
- WKHG (104.9 FM; LEITCHFIELD, KY; Owner: HERITAGE MEDIA OF KENTUCKY INC)
TV broadcast stations around Welchs Creek:
- W62CJ (Channel 62; JACKSON, TN; Owner: MS COMMUNICATIONS, LLC)
- WKGB-TV (Channel 53; BOWLING GREEN, KY; Owner: KENTUCKY AUTHORITY FOR EDUCATIONAL TV)
- WBKO (Channel 13; BOWLING GREEN, KY; Owner: GRAY MIDAMERICA TV LICENSEE CORP.)
- WKYU-TV (Channel 24; BOWLING GREEN, KY; Owner: WESTERN KENTUCKY UNIVERSITY)
Total length: 5 meters (16ft)
Total average daily traffic: 1,254
Total average daily truck traffic: 83
Total future (year 2031) average daily traffic: 1,509
2006 National Fire Incident Reporting System Incidents:
- Fire: 1
Welchs Creek on our top lists:
- #23 on the list of "Top 101 cities with the largest percentage of people in training schools for juvenile delinquents"
- #91 on the list of "Top 101 cities with largest percentage of females working in industry: Plastics and rubber products"
- #100 on the list of "Top 101 cities with largest percentage of females in occupations: Accountants and auditors"
- #11 (42261) on the list of "Top 101 zip codes with the largest percentage of taxpayers using paid preparers for 2004 taxes (pop 5,000+)"
- #44 (42261) on the list of "Top 101 zip codes with the largest percentage of United States or American first ancestries (pop 5,000+)"