We are giving away $1200 in prizes - enter simply by sending us your own city pictures!
|Median resident age:||50.3 years|
|Maine median age:||43.0 years|
Zip codes: 04942.
Estimated per capita income in 2016: $18,171 (it was $11,216 in 2000)
Wellington town income, earnings, and wages data
Estimated median house or condo value in 2016: $105,843 (it was $59,400 in 2000)
Mean prices in 2016: All housing units: $149,243; Detached houses: $158,617; Townhouses or other attached units: $129,674; In 2-unit structures: $232,509; In 3-to-4-unit structures: $161,916; In 5-or-more-unit structures: $429,400; Mobile homes: $63,772
Races in Wellington, ME (2010)
- 25397.3%White alone
- 51.9%Native Hawaiian and Other
Pacific Islander alone
- 20.8%Two or more races
|My experience in Maine (99 replies)|
|Wellington, Maine codes & town office (2 replies)|
|still truckin', 60's hippies moving to Maine (93 replies)|
|The Weather..... (505 replies)|
|small town life is what we love. . .please give me some help (41 replies)|
|Deep Thoughts (1103 replies)|
Latest news from Wellington, ME collected exclusively by city-data.com from local newspapers, TV, and radio stations
Ancestries: French (29.1%), Irish (21.3%), English (20.9%), German (9.7%), Polish (5.4%), Lithuanian (4.3%).
Current Local Time: EST time zone
Incorporated on 02/23/1828
Elevation: 571 feet
Land area: 39.9 square miles.
Population density: 6.5 people per square mile(very low).
For population 25 years and over in Wellington:
- High school or higher: 65.6%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 11.1%
- Graduate or professional degree: 1.6%
- Unemployed: 5.1%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 29.3 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Wellington town:
- Never married: 18.2%
- Now married: 62.2%
- Separated: 1.0%
- Widowed: 9.1%
- Divorced: 9.6%
5 residents are foreign born
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units in 2000:
|Wellington town:||1.0% ($567)|
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Portland, ME (103.7 miles , pop. 64,249).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: Boston, MA (205.3 miles , pop. 589,141).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: Bronx, NY (364.8 miles , pop. 1,332,650).
Nearest cities: Cambridge, ME (2.6 miles ), Parkman, ME (2.7 miles ), Harmony, ME (2.8 miles ), Athens, ME (3.1 miles ), Abbot, ME (3.2 miles ), Ripley, ME (3.2 miles ), Guilford, ME (3.3 miles ), Sangerville, ME (3.6 miles ).
Single-family new house construction building permits:
- 1997: 1 building, cost: $18,000
- 1998: 1 building, cost: $18,000
- 1999: 1 building, cost: $18,000
- 2000: 1 building, cost: $18,000
- 2001: 1 building, cost: $18,000
- 2002: 1 building, cost: $18,000
- 2003: 1 building, cost: $18,000
- 2004: 1 building, cost: $18,000
- 2005: 1 building, cost: $18,000
- 2006: 1 building, cost: $18,000
- 2007: 2 buildings, average cost: $67,500
- 2008: 1 building, cost: $67,500
- 2009: 1 building, cost: $30,000
Number of permits per 10,000 residents
Average cost (in $1000s)
Latitude: 45.08 N, Longitude: 69.57 W
Area code commonly used in this area: 207
Unemployment by year (%)
- Agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting (17%)
- Construction (12%)
- Educational services (12%)
- Truck transportation (10%)
- Petroleum and petroleum products merchant wholesalers (9%)
- Leather and allied products (7%)
- Motor vehicle and parts dealers (7%)
- Educational services (23%)
- Health care (20%)
- Agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting (17%)
- Apparel (14%)
- Social assistance (9%)
- Textile mills and textile products (6%)
- Paper (6%)
- Farmers and farm managers (14%)
- Driver/sales workers and truck drivers (14%)
- Carpenters (9%)
- Preschool, kindergarten, elementary and middle school teachers (7%)
- Law enforcement workers including supervisors (7%)
- Vehicle and mobile equipment mechanics, installers, and repairers (7%)
- Supervisors and other personal care and service workers except personal appearance, transportation, and child care workers (5%)
- Farmers and farm managers (17%)
- Nursing, psychiatric, and home health aides (14%)
- Other production occupations including supervisors (14%)
- Secretaries and administrative assistants (11%)
- Counselors, social workers, and other community and social service specialists (9%)
- Preschool, kindergarten, elementary and middle school teachers (9%)
- Child care workers (9%)
Average climate in Wellington, Maine
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Earthquake activity:Wellington-area historical earthquake activity is near Maine state average. It is 93% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 4/20/2002 at 10:50:47, a magnitude 5.2 (5.2 MB, 4.2 MS, 5.2 MW, 5.0 MW, Depth: 6.8 mi, Class: Moderate, Intensity: VI - VII) earthquake occurred 207.8 miles away from the city center
On 10/7/1983 at 10:18:46, a magnitude 5.3 (5.1 MB, 5.3 LG, 5.1 ML) earthquake occurred 247.9 miles away from Wellington center
On 1/19/1982 at 00:14:42, a magnitude 4.7 (4.5 MB, 4.7 MD, 4.5 LG, Class: Light, Intensity: IV - V) earthquake occurred 148.4 miles away from the city center
On 10/3/2006 at 00:07:38, a magnitude 4.3 (3.8 MB, 3.8 MW, 4.3 LG, Depth: 4.0 mi) earthquake occurred 86.4 miles away from the city center
On 2/26/1999 at 03:38:43, a magnitude 3.8 (3.8 LG, Depth: 2.0 mi, Class: Light, Intensity: II - III) earthquake occurred 41.5 miles away from Wellington center
On 7/14/2006 at 09:34:49, a magnitude 4.0 (3.5 MW, 4.0 LG, Depth: 14.9 mi) earthquake occurred 134.6 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: regional Lg-wave magnitude (LG), body-wave magnitude (MB), duration magnitude (MD), local magnitude (ML), surface-wave magnitude (MS), moment magnitude (MW)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Piscataquis County (20) is greater than the US average (13).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 14
Emergencies Declared: 6
Causes of natural disasters: Floods: 12, Storms: 11, Snows: 7, Heavy Rains: 2, Blizzard: 1, Ice Storm: 1, Landslide: 1, Snowfall: 1, Wind: 1, Winter Storm: 1, Other: 1 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Wellington:
- University of Maine at Farmington (about 41 miles; Farmington, ME; Full-time enrollment: 2,036)
- Husson University (about 42 miles; Bangor, ME; FT enrollment: 2,421)
- University of Maine (about 46 miles; Orono, ME; FT enrollment: 8,931)
- University of Maine at Augusta (about 53 miles; Augusta, ME; FT enrollment: 3,204)
- Saint Joseph's College of Maine (about 98 miles; Standish, ME; FT enrollment: 2,010)
- University of Southern Maine (about 104 miles; Portland, ME; FT enrollment: 6,647)
- Southern Maine Community College (about 105 miles; South Portland, ME; FT enrollment: 4,666)
Notable location: Wellington Fire Department (A). Display/hide its location on the map
Cemeteries: Taylor Cemetery (1), Small Philbrick Cemetery (2), Hutchins Corner Cemetery (3), Burdins Cemetery (4). Display/hide their locations on the map
Lakes and swamps: Long Bog (A), Round Bog (B), Ham Bog (C), Woodman Bog (D), Little Woodman Bog (E), Lowell Bog (F), Wellington Bog (G), Whitehouse Bog (H). Display/hide their locations on the map
Streams, rivers, and creeks: King Brook (A), Craig Brook (B), Cook Brook (C), Meadow Brook (D). Display/hide their locations on the map
Air pollution and air quality trends
(lower is better)
Air Quality Index (AQI) level in 2001 was 74.9. This is about average.
Ozone [ppb] level in 2001 was 28.8. This is about average. Closest monitor was 18.3 miles away from the city center.
|This town:||2.1 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
No gay or lesbian households reported
Educational Attainment (%) in 2000
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2000
Presidential Elections Results
Graphs represent county-level data. Detailed 2008 Election Results
Religion statistics for Wellington town (based on Piscataquis County data)
Food Environment Statistics:
|Piscataquis County:||5.24 / 10,000 pop.|
|Maine:||2.80 / 10,000 pop.|
|Piscataquis County:||4.08 / 10,000 pop.|
|Maine:||2.20 / 10,000 pop.|
|Piscataquis County:||8.74 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||5.75 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||10.49 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||11.02 / 10,000 pop.|
5.65% of this county's 2011 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2010 ($33,622 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved from foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2010 and 2011:
|from Penobscot County, ME||2.00% ($26,472 average AGI)|
|from Somerset County, ME||0.36% ($34,864)|
|from Cumberland County, ME||0.28% ($48,588)|
6.17% of this county's 2010 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2011 ($27,622 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved to foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2010 and 2011:
Strongest AM radio stations in Wellington:
- WSKW (1160 AM; 10 kW; SKOWHEGAN, ME; Owner: MOUNTAIN WIRELESS, INCORPORATED)
- WZON (620 AM; 5 kW; BANGOR, ME; Owner: THE ZONE CORPORATION)
- WTME (780 AM; 10 kW; RUMFORD, ME; Owner: MOUNTAIN VALLEY BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WABI (910 AM; 5 kW; BANGOR, ME; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WRKO (680 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: ENTERCOM BOSTON LICENSE, LLC)
- WEEI (850 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: ENTERCOM BOSTON LICENSE, LLC)
- WCHP (760 AM; 35 kW; CHAMPLAIN, NY; Owner: CHAMPLAIN RADIO, INC.)
- WBZ (1030 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: INFINITY BROADCASTING OPERATIONS, INC.)
- WFAU (1280 AM; 5 kW; GARDINER, ME; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WNNZ (640 AM; 50 kW; WESTFIELD, MA; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WCRN (830 AM; 50 kW; WORCESTER, MA; Owner: CARTER BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WMTW (870 AM; 10 kW; GORHAM, ME; Owner: RADIO PARTNERS OF MAINE, L.P.)
- WKOX (1200 AM; 50 kW; FRAMINGHAM, MA; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
Strongest FM radio stations in Wellington:
- WQCB (106.5 FM; BREWER, ME; Owner: CUMULUS LICENSING CORP.)
- WTOS-FM (105.1 FM; SKOWHEGAN, ME; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WGUY (102.1 FM; DEXTER, ME; Owner: CONCORD MEDIA GROUP, INC.)
- WWBX (97.1 FM; BANGOR, ME; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WHQO (107.9 FM; SKOWHEGAN, ME; Owner: MOUNTAIN WIRELESS, INC.)
- WVOM (103.9 FM; HOWLAND, ME; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WDME-FM (103.1 FM; DOVER-FOXCROFT, ME; Owner: THE ZONE CORPORATION)
- WJCX (99.5 FM; PITTSFIELD, ME; Owner: CSN INTERNATIONAL)
- WCTB (93.5 FM; FAIRFIELD, ME; Owner: MOUNTAIN WIRELESS, INC.)
Wellington fatal accident list:
Jul 23, 1997 06:44 PM, 154, Vehicles: 1, Persons: 2, Pedestrians: 1, Fatalities: 1
Dec 9, 1994 04:45 PM, Huffcorner, Vehicles: 1, Persons: 2, Pedestrians: 1, Fatalities: 1
- National Bridge Inventory (NBI) Statistics
- 3Number of bridges
- 3m10ftTotal length
- 317Total average daily traffic
- 24Total average daily truck traffic
- 476Total future (year 2033) average daily traffic
FCC Registered Private Land Mobile Towers:1
- WELLINGTON FS, Huff Corner Road (Lat: 45.041167 Lon: -69.591444), Type: Tower, Structure height: 9.1 m, Call Sign: WQMN773
Assigned Frequencies: 465.200 MHzGrant Date: 10/06/2010, Expiration Date: 10/06/2020, Certifier: Dave RobertsRegistrant: New Wave Licensing Services Inc., 517 Sachs Road, Gettysburg, PA 17325, Phone: (717) 334-0910, Fax: (717) 334-4739, Email:
FCC Registered Amateur Radio Licenses:4
- Call Sign: KA1DYN, Licensee ID: L01310818, Grant Date: 01/08/2016, Expiration Date: 03/05/2026, Certifier: Mary E Ward, Registrant: Mary E Ward, 5 Huff Corner Road, Wellington, ME 04942-8709
- Call Sign: N1UVK, Licensee ID: L00996149, Grant Date: 02/10/2015, Expiration Date: 04/14/2025, Certifier: James K Karanis, Registrant: James K Karanis, 10 Reed Road, Wellington, ME 04942
- Call Sign: KB1VAV, Licensee ID: L01607448, Grant Date: 12/10/2010, Expiration Date: 12/10/2020, Certifier: Bryant R Garrett, Registrant: Bryant R Garrett, 27 Zion Rd, Wellington, ME 04942
- Call Sign: KC1EZT, Licensee ID: L02000837, Grant Date: 02/08/2016, Expiration Date: 02/08/2026, Certifier: David S Fairbanks, Registrant: David S Fairbanks, 84 Parkman Rd, Wellington, ME 04942
2006 National Fire Incident Reporting System Incidents:
- Fire: 4
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Fuel oil, kerosene, etc. (48%)
- Wood (47%)
- Bottled, tank, or LP gas (4%)
- Electricity (2%)
Wellington compared to Maine state average:
- Median household income significantly below state average.
- Median house value below state average.
- Unemployed percentage below state average.
- Black race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Median age above state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage below state average.
- Renting percentage significantly below state average.
- Length of stay since moving in significantly above state average.
- Number of rooms per house significantly below state average.
- House age significantly below state average.
- Percentage of population with a bachelor's degree or higher below state average.