Wells, New York
Wells: October Morning Mist
Wells: Wells at Night
Wells: West Branch of the Sacandaga River
Wells: Autumn Island Glow
Wells: The Community Hall on Main St. is centrally located in the Town of Wells and hosts a number of events throughout the year.
Wells: Lake Algonquin is the center of the small hamlet of Wells, New York
Wells: Lake Algonquin
Wells: Located in the Adirondack Park, Wells extends a warm welcome to visitors. It is the oldest town in Hamilton County celebrating 200 years on April 1, 2005.
Wells: Algonquin Lake
Wells: Wells, NY: lake
Submit your own pictures of this town and show them to the World
|Median resident age:||49.2 years|
|New York median age:||40.7 years|
Zip codes: 12190.
Estimated per capita income in 2016: $24,664 (it was $16,174 in 2000)
Wells town income, earnings, and wages data
Estimated median house or condo value in 2016: $148,645 (it was $75,000 in 2000)
Races in Wells, NY (2010)
- 64095.0%White alone
- 111.6%Black alone
- 81.2%Two or more races
- 71.0%Asian alone
|Tell me about New York's micropolitan areas (73 replies)|
|Affordable Housing Lottery Launched for 205 East 92nd Street (178 replies)|
|Has gentrification improved or hurt NYC? (139 replies)|
|smaller Upstate NY cities and towns/African American communities (617 replies)|
|Is LA giving NYC a run for the money? (65 replies)|
|Back on Long Island for the holidays. Can't say I miss it one bit! (554 replies)|
Latest news from Wells, NY collected exclusively by city-data.com from local newspapers, TV, and radio stations
Ancestries: Irish (21.2%), German (18.5%), English (18.3%), Dutch (11.7%), French (11.4%), Italian (6.4%).
Current Local Time: EST time zone
Land area: 177.2 square miles.
Population density: 3.8 people per square mile(very low).
For population 25 years and over in Wells:
- High school or higher: 81.5%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 12.5%
- Graduate or professional degree: 4.2%
- Unemployed: 8.5%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 28.8 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Wells town:
- Never married: 16.4%
- Now married: 56.8%
- Separated: 2.1%
- Widowed: 11.5%
- Divorced: 13.2%
18 residents are foreign born (2.2% Europe, 0.3% Latin America).
According to our research of New York and other state lists there was 1 registered sex offender living in Wells, New York as of March 18, 2019.
The ratio of number of residents in Wells to the number of sex offenders is 674 to 1.
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units in 2000:
|Wells town:||1.3% ($1,010)|
|New York:||1.9% ($2,847)|
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Schenectady, NY (47.2 miles , pop. 61,821).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: Rochester, NY (168.2 miles , pop. 219,773).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: Bronx, NY (180.2 miles , pop. 1,332,650).
Nearest cities: Speculator, NY (2.7 miles ), Lake Pleasant, NY (3.1 miles ), Hope, NY (3.1 miles ), Benson, NY (3.5 miles ), Arietta, NY (3.9 miles ), Northville, NY (3.9 miles ), Stony Creek, NY (4.1 miles ), Day, NY (4.1 miles ).
Single-family new house construction building permits:
- 1998: 2 buildings, average cost: $200,000
- 1999: 1 building, cost: $200,000
- 2000: 1 building, cost: $92,000
- 2001: 3 buildings, average cost: $95,000
- 2002: 2 buildings, average cost: $120,000
- 2003: 2 buildings, average cost: $107,500
- 2004: 4 buildings, average cost: $107,500
- 2005: 5 buildings, average cost: $67,400
- 2006: 4 buildings, average cost: $52,400
- 2007: 12 buildings, average cost: $138,200
- 2008: 6 buildings, average cost: $65,700
- 2009: 4 buildings, average cost: $127,500
- 2010: 2 buildings, average cost: $55,000
- 2011: 6 buildings, average cost: $111,700
- 2012: 7 buildings, average cost: $120,100
- 2013: 5 buildings, average cost: $212,500
- 2014: 6 buildings, average cost: $211,200
Number of permits per 10,000 residents
Average cost (in $1000s)
Latitude: 43.43 N, Longitude: 74.29 W
Area code: 518
Unemployment by year (%)
- Construction (28%)
- Public administration (12%)
- Accommodation and food services (8%)
- Educational services (7%)
- Agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting (4%)
- Health care (4%)
- Miscellaneous manufacturing (3%)
- Health care (22%)
- Public administration (17%)
- Educational services (16%)
- Food and beverage stores (7%)
- Social assistance (6%)
- Accommodation and food services (4%)
- Construction (3%)
- Carpenters (11%)
- Other management occupations except farmers and farm managers (6%)
- Cooks and food preparation workers (5%)
- Other production occupations including supervisors (5%)
- Vehicle and mobile equipment mechanics, installers, and repairers (4%)
- Other office and administrative support workers including supervisors (4%)
- Life and physical scientists (4%)
- Bookkeeping, accounting, and auditing clerks (12%)
- Registered nurses (11%)
- Nursing, psychiatric, and home health aides (8%)
- Other sales and related workers including supervisors (6%)
- Preschool, kindergarten, elementary and middle school teachers (6%)
- Waiters and waitresses (4%)
- Supervisors and other personal care and service workers except personal appearance, transportation, and child care workers (4%)
Average climate in Wells, New York
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Wells-area historical tornado activity is below New York state average. It is 76% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 7/10/1989, a category F4 (max. wind speeds 207-260 mph) tornado 43.4 miles away from the Wells town center injured 20 people and caused between $5,000,000 and $50,000,000 in damages.
On 6/16/1974, a category F3 (max. wind speeds 158-206 mph) tornado 41.1 miles away from the town center caused between $500,000 and $5,000,000 in damages.
Earthquake activity:Wells-area historical earthquake activity is near New York state average. It is 88% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 10/7/1983 at 10:18:46, a magnitude 5.3 (5.1 MB, 5.3 LG, 5.1 ML, Class: Moderate, Intensity: VI - VII) earthquake occurred 36.1 miles away from the city center
On 4/20/2002 at 10:50:47, a magnitude 5.2 (5.2 MB, 4.2 MS, 5.2 MW, 5.0 MW, Depth: 6.8 mi) earthquake occurred 78.3 miles away from Wells center
On 1/19/1982 at 00:14:42, a magnitude 4.7 (4.5 MB, 4.7 MD, 4.5 LG, Class: Light, Intensity: IV - V) earthquake occurred 135.1 miles away from the city center
On 4/20/2000 at 08:46:55, a magnitude 4.0 (4.0 LG, 3.8 ML, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 35.7 miles away from the city center
On 6/17/1991 at 08:53:16, a magnitude 4.1 (4.0 MB, 4.0 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 58.9 miles away from Wells center
On 4/20/2002 at 11:04:42, a magnitude 4.1 (4.1 LG, 3.7 ML, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 79.0 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: regional Lg-wave magnitude (LG), body-wave magnitude (MB), duration magnitude (MD), local magnitude (ML), surface-wave magnitude (MS), moment magnitude (MW)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Hamilton County (11) is near the US average (13).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 6
Emergencies Declared: 5
Causes of natural disasters: Floods: 4, Storms: 4, Hurricanes: 3, Blizzard: 1, Earthquake: 1, Power Outage: 1, Tornado: 1, Wind: 1, Other: 1 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Birthplace of: Leonard Volk - Sculptor.
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Wells:
- Fulton-Montgomery Community College (about 32 miles; Johnstown, NY; Full-time enrollment: 2,043)
- Adirondack Community College (about 33 miles; Queensbury, NY; FT enrollment: 2,826)
- Skidmore College (about 35 miles; Saratoga Springs, NY; FT enrollment: 2,753)
- SUNY Empire State College (about 36 miles; Saratoga Springs, NY; FT enrollment: 9,473)
- Herkimer County Community College (about 46 miles; Herkimer, NY; FT enrollment: 2,774)
- Schenectady County Community College (about 47 miles; Schenectady, NY; FT enrollment: 3,676)
- Union College (about 47 miles; Schenectady, NY; FT enrollment: 2,075)
Public high school in Wells:
- WELLS SCHOOL (Students: 188, Location: 1571 STATE RT 30, Grades: PK-12)
Notable locations in Wells: Whitehouse (A), Windfall (B), Mud Lake Lean-to (C), Sacandaga Public Campsite (D), Wells Fire Department (E). Display/hide their locations on the map
Churches in Wells include: Saint Ann Church (A), Wells United Methodist Church (B), Wells Wesleyan Church (C). Display/hide their locations on the map
Lakes, reservoirs, and swamps: Mud Lake (A), Owl Pond (B), Rock Pond (C), South Pond (D), Upper Pine Lakes (E), Willis Lake (F), Hayes Flow (G), Buckhorn Ponds (H). Display/hide their locations on the map
Streams, rivers, and creeks: Noisy Brook (A), Remington Creek (B), Towers Brook (C), Beatty Creek (D), Georgia Creek (E), Wilcox Outlet (F), Fly Creek (G), Pine Point Brook (H), Extract Brook (I). Display/hide their locations on the map
Air pollution and air quality trends
(lower is better)
Air Quality Index (AQI) level in 2013 was 51.6. This is significantly better than average.
Sulfur Dioxide (SO2) [ppb] level in 2013 was 0.177. This is significantly better than average. Closest monitor was 11.4 miles away from the city center.
Ozone [ppb] level in 2013 was 29.2. This is about average. Closest monitor was 11.4 miles away from the city center.
|This town:||2.2 people|
|New York:||2.6 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
Likely homosexual households (counted as self-reported same-sex unmarried-partner households)
- Lesbian couples: 1.4% of all households
- Gay men: 0.0% of all households
8 people in residential treatment centers for adults in 2010
21 people in homes for the mentally retarded in 2000
Educational Attainment (%) in 2000
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2000
|New York average:||14.2|
Presidential Elections Results
Graphs represent county-level data. Detailed 2008 Election Results
Religion statistics for Wells town (based on Hamilton County data)
Food Environment Statistics:
|Hamilton County:||5.94 / 10,000 pop.|
|New York:||4.13 / 10,000 pop.|
|Hamilton County:||15.83 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||1.68 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||39.57 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||8.82 / 10,000 pop.|
5.25% of this county's 2011 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2010 ($52,189 average adjusted gross income)
|New York average:||5.06%|
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved from foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2010 and 2011:
|from Saratoga County, NY||0.47% ($39,300 average AGI)|
6.18% of this county's 2010 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2011 ($33,023 average adjusted gross income)
|New York average:||5.46%|
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved to foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2010 and 2011:
Strongest AM radio stations in Wells:
- WGY (810 AM; 50 kW; SCHENECTADY, NY; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WPTR (1540 AM; 50 kW; ALBANY, NY; Owner: KIMTRON, INC.)
- WNNZ (640 AM; 50 kW; WESTFIELD, MA; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WCHP (760 AM; 35 kW; CHAMPLAIN, NY; Owner: CHAMPLAIN RADIO, INC.)
- WICY (1490 AM; 50 kW; MALONE, NY; Owner: CARTIER COMMUNICATIONS INC.)
- WCRN (830 AM; 50 kW; WORCESTER, MA; Owner: CARTER BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WRKO (680 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: ENTERCOM BOSTON LICENSE, LLC)
- WTIC (1080 AM; 50 kW; HARTFORD, CT; Owner: INFINITY RADIO OPERATIONS INC.)
- WMCA (570 AM; 50 kW; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: SALEM MEDIA OF NEW YORK, LLC)
- WFAN (660 AM; 50 kW; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: INFINITY BROADCASTING OPERATIONS, INC.)
- WABY (1160 AM; 5 kW; MECHANICVILLE, NY; Owner: ANASTOS MEDIA GROUP, INC.)
- WOR (710 AM; 50 kW; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: BUCKLEY BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WABC (770 AM; 50 kW; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: WABC-AM RADIO, INC.)
Strongest FM radio stations in Wells:
- WXLG (89.9 FM; NORTH CREEK, NY; Owner: THE ST. LAWRENCE UNIVERSITY)
- WXLH (91.3 FM; BLUE MOUNTAIN LAKE, NY; Owner: THE ST. LAWRENCE UNIVERSITY)
- WKBE (100.3 FM; WARRENSBURG, NY; Owner: 6 JOHNSON ROAD LICENSES, INC.)
- WCKM-FM (99.1 FM; LAKE GEORGE, NY; Owner: ENTERTRONICS, INC.)
- WNYQ (105.7 FM; QUEENSBURY, NY; Owner: VOX NEW YORK, L.L.C.)
- WBAR-FM (94.7 FM; LAKE LUZERNE, NY; Owner: CAPITAL MEDIA CORPORATION)
- WEQX (102.7 FM; MANCHESTER, VT; Owner: NORTHSHIRE COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- WCQL (95.9 FM; GLENS FALLS, NY; Owner: ENTERTRONICS, INC.)
- WJAN (95.1 FM; SUNDERLAND, VT; Owner: 6 JOHNSON ROAD LICENSES, INC.)
- WFFG-FM (107.1 FM; CORINTH, NY; Owner: VOX NEW YORK, L.L.C.)
- WKRD (93.7 FM; SCOTIA, NY; Owner: DOT COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- WRGR (102.3 FM; TUPPER LAKE, NY; Owner: RADIO LAKE PLACID, INC.)
- WNGN (91.9 FM; ARGYLE, NY; Owner: NORTHEAST GOSPEL BROADCASTING INC)
- WBKK (97.7 FM; AMSTERDAM, NY; Owner: GEM ASSOCIATES, L. P.)
- W207BP (89.3 FM; SPECULATOR, NY; Owner: THE ST. LAWRENCE UNIVERSITY)
TV broadcast stations around Wells:
- WKTV (Channel 2; UTICA, NY; Owner: SMITH TELEVISION OF NEW YORK LICENSE HOLDINGS, INC.)
- WYPX (Channel 55; AMSTERDAM, NY; Owner: PAXSON ALBANY LICENSE, INC.)
- W04BK (Channel 4; SPECULATOR, ET AL, NY; Owner: PAGE HILL COMMUNITY TELECASTERS, INC)
Wells fatal accident list:
- National Bridge Inventory (NBI) Statistics
- 14Number of bridges
- 43m141ftTotal length
- $9,627,000Total costs
- 5,412Total average daily traffic
- 551Total average daily truck traffic
- 6,712Total future (year 2019) average daily traffic
New bridges - Historical Statistics
FCC Registered Cell Phone Towers:1
- (Wells) 135 Ranger Road (Lat: 43.381139 Lon: -74.308833), Type: Tower, Structure height: 18.9 m, Overall height: 20.1 m, Call Sign: KNKQ287
Assigned Frequencies: 880.020 MHz, 880.020 MHz, 880.020 MHz, 835.020 MHz, 835.020 MHz, 835.020 MHz, 891.510 MHz, 891.510 MHz, 891.510 MHz, 846.510 MHz, 846.510 MHz, 846.510 MHzGrant Date: 09/07/2011, Expiration Date: 10/01/2021Registrant: Verizon Wireless, 1120 Sanctuary Pkwy, #150 Gasa5reg, Alpharetta, GA 30009-7630, Phone: (770) 797-1070, Fax: (770) 797-1036, Email:
FCC Registered Private Land Mobile Towers:3
- RS6_HAMILTON, 5 Mi. N From Wells Via Sr 30 On Sr 8 (Lat: 43.452500 Lon: -74.244167), Type: Tower, Structure height: 45.7 m, Call Sign: WPUZ446
Assigned Frequencies: 855.237 MHz, 855.712 MHz, 860.712 MHz, 860.737 MHz, 860.937 MHz, 860.962 MHz, 859.187 MHz, 858.137 MHz, 859.637 MHz, 858.362 MHzGrant Date: 05/31/2002, Expiration Date: 05/31/2012, Cancellation Date: 11/17/2010, Certifier: Thomas J CowperRegistrant: Nys Dhses Office Of Interoperable And Emergency Communications, State Office Campus Building 22, 1220 Washington Ave, Albany, NY 12226, Phone: (518) 322-4912, Fax: (518) 322-4975, Email:
- RS9_Wells, 4 Mi. S From Wells, Via Sr 30 On Local Road. (Lat: 43.347500 Lon: -74.281667), Type: Tower, Structure height: 45.7 m, Call Sign: WPUZ851
Assigned Frequencies: 860.712 MHz, 859.187 MHzGrant Date: 06/04/2002, Expiration Date: 06/04/2012, Cancellation Date: 11/17/2010, Certifier: Thomas J CowperRegistrant: Nys Dhses Office Of Interoperable And Emergency Communications, State Office Campus Building 22, 1220 Washington Ave, Albany, NY 12226, Phone: (518) 322-4912, Fax: (518) 322-4975, Email:
- Lat: 43.402222 Lon: -74.294333, Call Sign: WPZX504
Assigned Frequencies: 451.387 MHzGrant Date: 03/12/2014, Expiration Date: 04/05/2024, Certifier: Brian TowersRegistrant: Cara Enterprises Inc., Salt Lake City, UT 84117-0503, Phone: (801) 278-9728, Fax: (801) 278-7239, Email:
FCC Registered Amateur Radio Licenses:4
- Call Sign: N2JYM, Grant Date: 01/15/1991, Expiration Date: 01/15/2001, Cancellation Date: 01/16/2003, Registrant: John H Marsman, Wells, NY 12190
- Call Sign: KC2ZRF, Licensee ID: L01614971, Grant Date: 01/26/2011, Expiration Date: 01/26/2021, Certifier: Robert V Kaye, Registrant: Robert V Kaye, Wells, NY 12190
- Call Sign: KD2EQN, Licensee ID: L01810106, Grant Date: 08/27/2013, Expiration Date: 08/27/2023, Certifier: Adrian J Collado, Registrant: Adrian J Collado, Wells, NY 12190
- Call Sign: KD2FKV, Licensee ID: L01836386, Grant Date: 01/17/2014, Expiration Date: 01/17/2024, Certifier: Scott M Anderson, Registrant: Scott M Anderson, 143 Buttermilk Hill Rd, Wells, NY 12190
FAA Registered Aircraft:1
- Aircraft: CESSNA 172B (Category: Land, Seats: 4, Weight: Up to 12,499 Pounds, Speed: 105 mph), Engine: CONT MOTOR 0-300 SER (145 HP) (Reciprocating)
N-Number: 8196X , Serial Number: 17248696, Year manufactured: 1961, Airworthiness Date: 09/18/1961
Registrant (Individual): Leonard A Broiles, Po Box 487, Wells, NY 12190
|Most common first names in Wells, NY among deceased individuals|
|Most common last names in Wells, NY among deceased individuals|
|Last name||Count||Lived (average)|
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Fuel oil, kerosene, etc. (61%)
- Wood (26%)
- Bottled, tank, or LP gas (12%)
- Electricity (1%)
- Other fuel (1%)
Businesses in Wells, NY
- MasterBrand Cabinets: 2
Wells compared to New York state average:
- Median house value below state average.
- Unemployed percentage below state average.
- Black race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Median age significantly above state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage significantly below state average.
- Renting percentage significantly below state average.
- Length of stay since moving in significantly above state average.
- Number of rooms per house significantly below state average.
- House age significantly below state average.
- Number of college students below state average.
- Percentage of population with a bachelor's degree or higher below state average.