West City, Illinois
We are giving away $1200 in prizes - enter simply by sending us your own city pictures!
|Median resident age:||43.0 years|
|Illinois median age:||37.7 years|
Zip codes: 62812.
Estimated per capita income in 2015: $21,947 (it was $12,328 in 2000)
West City village income, earnings, and wages data
Estimated median house or condo value in 2015: $60,065 (it was $35,600 in 2000)
Median gross rent in 2015: $597.
Races in West City, IL (2010)
- 61192.4%White alone
- 121.8%Asian alone
- 91.4%Two or more races
- 20.3%American Indian alone
- 10.2%Black alone
Latest news from West City, IL collected exclusively by city-data.com from local newspapers, TV, and radio stations
Ancestries: English (16.1%), German (14.9%), American (14.6%), Irish (13.4%), Italian (6.8%), Romanian (5.9%).
Current Local Time: CST time zone
Incorporated on 07/10/1911
Elevation: 440 feet
Land area: 1.61 square miles.
Population density: 405 people per square mile(low).
For population 25 years and over in West City:
- High school or higher: 78.0%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 5.0%
- Graduate or professional degree: 2.8%
- Unemployed: 7.8%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 24.9 minutes
For population 15 years and over in West City village:
- Never married: 22.3%
- Now married: 40.8%
- Separated: 3.4%
- Widowed: 10.2%
- Divorced: 23.3%
15 residents are foreign born (1.6% Europe, 0.6% Latin America).
According to our research of Illinois and other state lists there were 5 registered sex offenders living in West City, Illinois as of November 23, 2017.
The ratio of number of residents in West City to the number of sex offenders is 132 to 1.
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units in 2000:
|West City village:||1.3% ($450)|
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Evansville, IN (75.8 miles , pop. 121,582).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: St. Louis, MO (83.1 miles , pop. 348,189).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: Chicago, IL (274.3 miles , pop. 2,896,016).
Nearest cities: Benton, IL (1.2 miles ), Buckner, IL (2.0 miles ), Orient, IL (2.4 miles ), Valier, IL (2.4 miles ), Hanaford, IL (2.5 miles) , Christopher, IL (2.5 miles ), West Frankfort, IL (2.6 miles ), North City, IL (2.6 miles ).
Single-family new house construction building permits:
- 1997: 1 building, cost: $71,000
- 1998: 7 buildings, average cost: $60,100
- 1999: 8 buildings, average cost: $57,000
- 2000: 1 building, cost: $68,000
- 2001: 3 buildings, average cost: $63,000
- 2002: 3 buildings, average cost: $63,000
- 2003: 3 buildings, average cost: $63,000
- 2004: 3 buildings, average cost: $63,000
- 2005: 1 building, cost: $90,000
- 2006: 1 building, cost: $125,000
- 2007: 1 building, cost: $125,000
- 2008: 1 building, cost: $100,000
- 2009: 1 building, cost: $80,000
- 2010: 1 building, cost: $80,000
- 2011: 1 building, cost: $80,000
Number of permits per 10,000 residents
Average cost (in $1000s)
Latitude: 37.99 N, Longitude: 88.94 W
Area code commonly used in this area: 618
|Crime rates in West City by Year|
|City-data.com crime index (higher means more crime, U.S. average = 290.5)||635.4||538.0||533.5||855.2||599.5||344.6||310.5||342.7||455.4||745.1||708.9||785.8||635.4||946.3|
(click on a table row to update graph)
Crime rate in West City detailed stats: murders, rapes, robberies, assaults, burglaries, thefts, arson
|Officers per 1,000 residents here:||10.56|
Unemployment by year (%)
- Administrative and support and waste management services (19%)
- Retail trade (19%)
- Mining, quarrying, and oil and gas extraction (12%)
- Manufacturing (11%)
- Other services, except public administration (11%)
- Transportation and warehousing (10%)
- Construction (4%)
- Health care and social assistance (46%)
- Retail trade (20%)
- Educational services (9%)
- Finance and insurance (5%)
- Accommodation and food services (4%)
- Public administration (4%)
- Manufacturing (3%)
- Building and grounds cleaning and maintenance occupations (23%)
- Construction and extraction occupations (14%)
- Material moving occupations (12%)
- Production occupations (11%)
- Transportation occupations (9%)
- Sales and related occupations (7%)
- Installation, maintenance, and repair occupations (7%)
- Building and grounds cleaning and maintenance occupations (18%)
- Office and administrative support occupations (13%)
- Education, training, and library occupations (11%)
- Sales and related occupations (11%)
- Healthcare support occupations (10%)
- Health diagnosing and treating practitioners and other technical occupations (9%)
- Management occupations (7%)
Average climate in West City, Illinois
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
West City-area historical tornado activity is near Illinois state average. It is 79% greater than the overall U.S. average.
On 12/18/1957, a category F5 (max. wind speeds 261-318 mph) tornado 13.5 miles away from the West City village center killed one person and injured 6 people and caused between $50,000 and $500,000 in damages.
On 12/18/1957, a category F4 (max. wind speeds 207-260 mph) tornado 9.0 miles away from the village center killed 11 people and injured 200 people and caused between $500,000 and $5,000,000 in damages.
Earthquake activity:West City-area historical earthquake activity is slightly above Illinois state average. It is 74% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 4/18/2008 at 09:36:59, a magnitude 5.4 (5.1 MB, 4.8 MS, 5.4 MW, 5.2 MW, Depth: 8.9 mi, Class: Moderate, Intensity: VI - VII) earthquake occurred 65.5 miles away from the city center
On 6/10/1987 at 23:48:54, a magnitude 5.1 (4.9 MB, 4.4 MS, 4.6 MS, 5.1 LG) earthquake occurred 80.9 miles away from West City center
On 6/18/2002 at 17:37:15, a magnitude 5.0 (4.3 MB, 4.6 MW, 5.0 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 63.3 miles away from the city center
On 9/26/1990 at 13:18:51, a magnitude 5.0 (4.7 MB, 4.8 LG, 5.0 LG, Depth: 7.7 mi) earthquake occurred 65.8 miles away from the city center
On 5/4/1991 at 01:18:54, a magnitude 5.0 (4.4 MB, 4.6 LG, 5.0 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 110.2 miles away from West City center
On 4/18/2008 at 15:14:16, a magnitude 4.8 (4.5 MB, 4.8 MW, 4.6 MW, Depth: 6.2 mi, Class: Light, Intensity: IV - V) earthquake occurred 68.2 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: regional Lg-wave magnitude (LG), body-wave magnitude (MB), surface-wave magnitude (MS), moment magnitude (MW)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Franklin County (8) is smaller than the US average (13).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 6
Emergencies Declared: 2
Causes of natural disasters: Floods: 6, Storms: 6, Tornadoes: 3, Hurricane: 1, Snow: 1 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Hospitals and medical centers near West City:
- BENTON REHAB AND HCC (Nursing Home, about 2 miles away; BENTON, IL)
- FRANKLIN HOSPITAL Critical Access Hospitals (about 2 miles away; BENTON, IL)
- OLD - FRANKLIN HOSPITAL (SNF) (Nursing Home, about 2 miles away; BENTON, IL)
- STONEBRIDGE SENIOR LIVING CENTER (Nursing Home, about 2 miles away; BENTON, IL)
- HOMESTEAD HOUSE (Hospital, about 7 miles away; WEST FRANKFORT, IL)
- WESTSIDE REHAB AND CARE CENTER (Nursing Home, about 7 miles away; WEST FRANKFORT, IL)
- PARKVIEW CARE CENTER (Nursing Home, about 8 miles away; WEST FRANKFORT, IL)
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to West City:
- Rend Lake College (about 10 miles; Ina, IL; Full-time enrollment: 2,778)
- John A Logan College (about 19 miles; Carterville, IL; FT enrollment: 3,995)
- Southern Illinois University-Carbondale (about 25 miles; Carbondale, IL; FT enrollment: 14,539)
- Kaskaskia College (about 42 miles; Centralia, IL; FT enrollment: 3,867)
- Southeast Missouri State University (about 57 miles; Cape Girardeau, MO; FT enrollment: 9,678)
- McKendree University (about 64 miles; Lebanon, IL; FT enrollment: 2,564)
- Southwestern Illinois College (about 65 miles; Belleville, IL; FT enrollment: 9,085)
Notable location: West City Fire Department (A). Display/hide its location on the map
Shopping Center: Rend Lake Plaza Shopping Center (1). Display/hide its location on the map
Churches in West City include: Trinity Baptist Church (A), West City First Baptist Church (B). Display/hide their locations on the map
Air pollution and air quality trends
(lower is better)
Air Quality Index (AQI) level in 2013 was 55.4. This is better than average.
Ozone [ppb] level in 2013 was 30.9. This is about average. Closest monitor was 18.3 miles away from the city center.
Particulate Matter (PM10) [µg/m3] level in 2010 was 24.2. This is worse than average. Closest monitor was 23.8 miles away from the city center.
Particulate Matter (PM2.5) [µg/m3] level in 2013 was 8.81. This is about average. Closest monitor was 18.3 miles away from the city center.
(24.3% for White Non-Hispanic residents, 50.0% for Hispanic or Latino residents)
|This village:||2.1 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
Likely homosexual households (counted as self-reported same-sex unmarried-partner households)
- Lesbian couples: 0.3% of all households
- Gay men: 0.0% of all households
Educational Attainment (%) in 2015
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2015
Presidential Elections Results
Graphs represent county-level data. Detailed 2008 Election Results
Religion statistics for West City village (based on Franklin County data)
Food Environment Statistics:
|Franklin County:||1.52 / 10,000 pop.|
|Illinois:||2.24 / 10,000 pop.|
|This county:||0.25 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||0.08 / 10,000 pop.|
|Franklin County:||0.51 / 10,000 pop.|
|Illinois:||0.75 / 10,000 pop.|
|Franklin County:||5.58 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||2.61 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||6.60 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||6.86 / 10,000 pop.|
Health and Nutrition:
More about Health and Nutrition of West City, IL Residents
|Local government employment and payroll (March 2012)|
|Function||Full-time employees||Monthly full-time payroll||Average yearly full-time wage||Part-time employees||Monthly part-time payroll|
|Other Government Administration||0||$0||9||$3,304|
|Police Protection - Officers||6||$17,761||$35,522||1||$1,021|
|Police - Other||4||$10,937||$32,811||1||$638|
|Streets and Highways||2||$6,467||$38,802||4||$4,384|
|Other and Unallocable||1||$3,064||$36,768||1||$399|
|Totals for Government||13||$38,229||$35,288||28||$13,103|
West City government finances - Expenditure in 2002 (per resident):
- Current Operations - Police Protection: $269,000 ($411.94)
Financial Administration: $247,000 ($378.25)
Water Utilities: $152,000 ($232.77)
Sewerage: $120,000 ($183.77)
Regular Highways: $56,000 ($85.76)
General - Other: $18,000 ($27.57)
General Public Buildings: $16,000 ($24.50)
- General - Interest on Debt: $0 ($0.00)
- Total Salaries & Wages: $306,000 ($468.61)
- Water Utilities - Interest on Debt: $38,000 ($58.19)
West City government finances - Revenue in 2002 (per resident):
- Charges - Sewerage: $120,000 ($183.77)
All Other: $14,000 ($21.44)
- Miscellaneous - General Revenue, NEC: $64,000 ($98.01)
Interest Earnings: $21,000 ($32.16)
- Revenue - Water Utilities: $130,000 ($199.08)
- State Intergovernmental - General Support: $533,000 ($816.23)
All Other: $169,000 ($258.81)
Highways: $20,000 ($30.63)
- Tax - Property: $37,000 ($56.66)
NEC: $6,000 ($9.19)
Public Utilities: $6,000 ($9.19)
West City government finances - Debt in 2002 (per resident):
- Long Term Debt Beginning Outstanding - Water Utilities: $629,000 ($963.25)
- Long Term Debt Outstanding Nonguaranteed - Water Utilities: $611,000 ($935.68)
- Long Term Debt Retired Unspecified - Water Utilities: $18,000 ($27.57)
West City government finances - Cash and Securities in 2002 (per resident):
- Other Funds - Cash & Deposits: $403,000 ($617.15)
5.02% of this county's 2011 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2010 ($29,065 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved from foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2010 and 2011:
|from Williamson County, IL||1.35% ($29,015 average AGI)|
|from Jefferson County, IL||0.34% ($22,714)|
|from Jackson County, IL||0.30% ($21,326)|
4.95% of this county's 2010 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2011 ($31,617 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved to foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2010 and 2011:
Strongest AM radio stations in West City:
- WDDD (810 AM; 10 kW; JOHNSTON CITY, IL; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WFRX (1300 AM; 1 kW; WEST FRANKFORT, IL; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WGGH (1150 AM; 5 kW; MARION, IL)
- WMIX (940 AM; 5 kW; MOUNT VERNON, IL; Owner: WITHERS BROADCASTING CO OF ILLINOIS)
- KXEN (1010 AM; 50 kW; FESTUS-ST. LOUIS, MO; Owner: BDJ RADIO ENTERPRISES, LLC)
- KMOX (1120 AM; 50 kW; ST. LOUIS, MO; Owner: INFINITY BROADCASTING OPERATIONS, INC.)
- WILY (1210 AM; daytime; 10 kW; CENTRALIA, IL; Owner: W. RUSSELL WITHERS, JR.)
- WMCL (1060 AM; 3 kW; MCLEANSBORO, IL; Owner: DANA COMMUNICATIONS CORPORATION)
- WJPF (1340 AM; 1 kW; HERRIN, IL; Owner: ZRG OF ILLINOIS, INC.)
- WSDZ (1260 AM; 20 kW; BELLEVILLE, IL)
- WSM (650 AM; 50 kW; NASHVILLE, TN; Owner: GAYLORD ENTERTAINMENT COMPANY)
- KZIM (960 AM; 5 kW; CAPE GIRARDEAU, MO; Owner: ZIMMER RADIO OF MID-MISSOURI, INC)
- WCRV (640 AM; 50 kW; COLLIERVILLE, TN; Owner: BOTT BROADCASTING COMPANY/TENNESSEE)
Strongest FM radio stations in West City:
- WXLT (103.5 FM; CHRISTOPHER, IL; Owner: ZRG OF ILLINOIS, INC.)
- WCIL-FM (101.5 FM; CARBONDALE, IL; Owner: LYLE BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WQRL (106.3 FM; BENTON, IL; Owner: DANA COMMUNICATIONS CORP.)
- WDDD-FM (107.3 FM; MARION, IL; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WISH-FM (98.9 FM; GALATIA, IL; Owner: GALATIA FM JOINT VENTURE)
- WVZA (92.7 FM; HERRIN, IL; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WQUL (97.7 FM; WEST FRANKFORT, IL; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WAWJ (90.1 FM; MARION, IL; Owner: AMERICAN FAMILY ASSOCIATION)
- WDQN-FM (95.9 FM; DUQUOIN, IL; Owner: THREE ANGELS BROADCASTING NETWORK, INC.)
- WOOZ-FM (99.9 FM; HARRISBURG, IL; Owner: ZIMMER COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- WBMV (89.7 FM; MOUNT VERNON, IL; Owner: ILLINOIS BIBLE INSTITUTE, INC)
- WIBV (102.1 FM; MOUNT VERNON, IL; Owner: BENJAMIN STRATEMEYER)
- WUEZ (95.1 FM; CARTERVILLE, IL; Owner: ZRG OF ILLINOIS, INC.)
- WXAN (103.9 FM; AVA, IL; Owner: HAROLD L. LAWDER)
- WVSI (88.9 FM; MT. VERNON, IL; Owner: THE BOARD OF TRUSTEES OF SOUTHERN ILLINOIS UNIVERSITY)
- WBVN (104.5 FM; CARRIER MILLS, IL; Owner: KENNETH W. AND JANE A. ANDERSON)
TV broadcast stations around West City:
- W15BU (Channel 17; JOHNSTON CITY, IL; Owner: THREE ANGELS BROADCASTING NETWORK)
- WSIU-TV (Channel 8; CARBONDALE, IL; Owner: BOARD OF TRUSTEES SOUTHERN ILLINOIS UNIVERSITY)
- WSIL-TV (Channel 3; HARRISBURG, IL; Owner: WSIL-TV, INC.)
- WDKA (Channel 49; PADUCAH, KY; Owner: WDKA ACQUISITION CORPORATION)
- KFVS-TV (Channel 12; CAPE GIRARDEAU, MO; Owner: RAYCOM AMERICA, INC.)
- KBSI (Channel 23; CAPE GIRARDEAU, MO; Owner: KBSI LICENSEE L.P.)
- WPSD-TV (Channel 6; PADUCAH, KY; Owner: WPSD-TV, LLC)
- West City, Illinois
- Fatal accident count10
- Vehicles involved in fatal accidents16
- Fatal accidents involving drunken persons:3
- Persons involved in fatal accidents25
- Pedestrians involved in fatal accidents3
- Illinois average
- Fatal accident count125
- Vehicles involved in fatal accidents190
- Fatal accidents involving drunken persons44
- Persons involved in fatal accidents335
- Pedestrians involved in fatal accidents22
- National Bridge Inventory (NBI) Statistics
- 6Number of bridges
- 45m148ftTotal length
- $245,000Total costs
- 114,200Total average daily traffic
- 34,181Total average daily truck traffic
2006 National Fire Incident Reporting System Incidents:
- Fire: 10
- Hazardous Condition: 3
Incident types - West City
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Utility gas (61%)
- Electricity (37%)
- Bottled, tank, or LP gas (1%)
- No fuel used (1%)
Businesses in West City, IL
- Burger King: 1
West City compared to Illinois state average:
- Median household income below state average.
- Median house value significantly below state average.
- Unemployed percentage below state average.
- Black race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage significantly below state average.
- Length of stay since moving in below state average.
- Number of college students below state average.
- Percentage of population with a bachelor's degree or higher significantly below state average.
West City on our top lists:
- #28 on the list of "Top 101 cities with the most residents born in Romania (population 500+)"