West Fairlee, Vermont
We are giving away $1200 in prizes - enter simply by sending us your own city pictures!
|Median resident age:||41.8 years|
|Vermont median age:||45.8 years|
Zip codes: 05045.
Estimated per capita income in 2013: $26,138 (it was $18,011 in 2000)
West Fairlee town income, earnings, and wages data
Estimated median house or condo value in 2013: $179,351 (it was $95,500 in 2000)
Races in West Fairlee, VT (2010)
- 63196.8%White alone
- 91.4%Two or more races
- 30.5%American Indian alone
- 30.5%Other race alone
- 10.2%Black alone
Latest news from West Fairlee, VT collected exclusively by city-data.com from local newspapers, TV, and radio stations
Ancestries: English (21.1%), United States (17.2%), French (16.3%), Irish (14.7%), German (8.0%), Scottish (5.1%).
Current Local Time: EST time zone
Elevation: 741 feet
Land area: 22.6 square miles.
Population density: 29 people per square mile(very low).
For population 25 years and over in West Fairlee:
- High school or higher: 77.2%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 21.3%
- Graduate or professional degree: 7.6%
- Unemployed: 4.9%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 29.8 minutes
For population 15 years and over in West Fairlee town:
- Never married: 23.6%
- Now married: 57.5%
- Separated: 0.4%
- Widowed: 5.9%
- Divorced: 12.6%
2 residents are foreign born
According to our research of Vermont and other state lists there were 2 registered sex offenders living in West Fairlee, Vermont as of May 31, 2016.
The ratio of number of residents in West Fairlee to the number of sex offenders is 361 to 1.
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units in 2000:
|West Fairlee town:||1.7% ($1,614)|
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Manchester, NH (75.7 miles , pop. 107,006).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: Boston, MA (124.9 miles , pop. 589,141).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: Bronx, NY (228.6 miles , pop. 1,332,650).
Nearest cities: Fairlee, VT (1.9 miles ), Vershire, VT (2.2 miles ), Thetford, VT (2.6 miles ), Bradford, VT (2.7 miles ), Strafford, VT (2.8 miles ), Corinth, VT (2.8 miles ), Orford, NH (2.8 miles ), Lyme, NH (3.1 miles ).
Latitude: 43.92 N, Longitude: 72.23 W
Area code commonly used in this area: 802
Unemployment by year (%)
- Construction (22%)
- Educational services (8%)
- Furniture and related product manufacturing (6%)
- Public administration (5%)
- Printing and related support activities (4%)
- Building material and garden equipment and supplies dealers (4%)
- Repair and maintenance (4%)
- Health care (26%)
- Educational services (19%)
- Food and beverage stores (8%)
- Social assistance (6%)
- Professional, scientific, and technical services (5%)
- Agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting (3%)
- Personal and laundry services (3%)
- Carpenters (11%)
- Driver/sales workers and truck drivers (7%)
- Vehicle and mobile equipment mechanics, installers, and repairers (6%)
- Building and grounds cleaning and maintenance occupations (5%)
- Other sales and related workers including supervisors (5%)
- Laborers and material movers, hand (4%)
- Other production occupations including supervisors (4%)
- Other management occupations except farmers and farm managers (7%)
- Supervisors and other personal care and service workers except personal appearance, transportation, and child care workers (6%)
- Other teachers and instructors, education, training, and library occupations (5%)
- Material recording, scheduling, dispatching, and distributing workers (5%)
- Secretaries and administrative assistants (5%)
- Health technologists and technicians (5%)
- Cooks and food preparation workers (4%)
Average climate in West Fairlee, Vermont
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
West Fairlee-area historical tornado activity is near Vermont state average. It is 76% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 8/11/1966, a category F2 (max. wind speeds 113-157 mph) tornado 8.6 miles away from the West Fairlee town center caused between $50,000 and $500,000 in damages.
On 5/11/1973, a category F2 tornado 28.2 miles away from the town center .
Earthquake activity:West Fairlee-area historical earthquake activity is near Vermont state average. It is 89% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 10/7/1983 at 10:18:46, a magnitude 5.3 (5.1 MB, 5.3 LG, 5.1 ML, Class: Moderate, Intensity: VI - VII) earthquake occurred 105.0 miles away from the city center
On 4/20/2002 at 10:50:47, a magnitude 5.2 (5.2 MB, 4.2 MS, 5.2 MW, 5.0 MW, Depth: 6.8 mi) earthquake occurred 83.3 miles away from West Fairlee center
On 1/19/1982 at 00:14:42, a magnitude 4.7 (4.5 MB, 4.7 MD, 4.5 LG, Class: Light, Intensity: IV - V) earthquake occurred 43.1 miles away from the city center
On 4/20/2002 at 11:04:42, a magnitude 4.1 (4.1 LG, 3.7 ML, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 82.2 miles away from the city center
On 6/16/1995 at 12:13:11, a magnitude 3.8 (3.8 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi, Class: Light, Intensity: II - III) earthquake occurred 29.7 miles away from West Fairlee center
On 8/21/1996 at 07:54:14, a magnitude 3.8 (3.8 LG, 3.6 LG, Depth: 6.2 mi) earthquake occurred 47.4 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: regional Lg-wave magnitude (LG), body-wave magnitude (MB), duration magnitude (MD), local magnitude (ML), surface-wave magnitude (MS), moment magnitude (MW)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Orange County (14) is near the US average (12).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 14
Causes of natural disasters: Floods: 12, Storms: 11, Heavy Rain: 1, Ice Storm: 1, Landslide: 1, Tropical Storm: 1, Wind: 1 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Amtrak station near West Fairlee:
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to West Fairlee:
- Dartmouth College (about 16 miles; Hanover, NH; Full-time enrollment: 6,030)
- Norwich University (about 26 miles; Northfield, VT; FT enrollment: 4,221)
- Plymouth State University (about 30 miles; Plymouth, NH; FT enrollment: 4,838)
- Middlebury College (about 48 miles; Middlebury, VT; FT enrollment: 3,077)
- Castleton State College (about 53 miles; Castleton, VT; FT enrollment: 2,079)
- NHTI-Concord's Community College (about 60 miles; Concord, NH; FT enrollment: 2,865)
- Saint Michael's College (about 61 miles; Colchester, VT; FT enrollment: 2,336)
Public elementary/middle school in West Fairlee:
- WESTSHIRE ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Students: 84, Location: 744 VT ROUTE 113, Grades: PK-4)
Notable locations in West Fairlee: West Fairlee Free Public Library (A), West Fairlee Volunteer Fire Department (B), Thetford Fire Department - Training Facility (C). Display/hide their locations on the map
Cemeteries: Wild Hill Cemetery (1), West Fairlee Village Cemetery (2), West Fairlee Center Cemetery (3), Scruton Hill Cemetery (4), Middle Brook Cemetery (5), Krook Cemetery (6), Kinderhood Cemetery (7). Display/hide their locations on the map
Reservoirs: Lake Fairlee (A), Middle Brook Pond (B). Display/hide their locations on the map
Streams, rivers, and creeks: Middle Brook (A), Bear North Brook (B). Display/hide their locations on the map
Air pollution and air quality trends
(lower is better)
Air Quality Index (AQI) level in 2013 was 63.3. This is about average.
Ozone [ppb] level in 2013 was 25.1. This is better than average. Closest monitor was 15.8 miles away from the city center.
Particulate Matter (PM10) [µg/m3] level in 2002 was 17.3. This is about average. Closest monitor was 23.2 miles away from the city center.
Particulate Matter (PM2.5) [µg/m3] level in 2013 was 6.16. This is significantly better than average. Closest monitor was 20.6 miles away from the city center.
|This town:||2.4 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
Likely homosexual households (counted as self-reported same-sex unmarried-partner households)
- Lesbian couples: 0.7% of all households
- Gay men: 0.7% of all households
Educational Attainment (%) in 2000
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2000
Presidential Elections Results
Graphs represent county-level data. Detailed 2008 Election Results
Religion statistics for West Fairlee town (based on Orange County data)
Food Environment Statistics:
|Orange County:||2.76 / 10,000 pop.|
|Vermont:||3.84 / 10,000 pop.|
|Orange County:||1.38 / 10,000 pop.|
|Vermont:||1.95 / 10,000 pop.|
|Orange County:||7.60 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||6.40 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||7.94 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||11.52 / 10,000 pop.|
6.24% of this county's 2011 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2010 ($34,737 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved from foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2010 and 2011:
|from Washington County, VT||1.42% ($29,382 average AGI)|
|from Windsor County, VT||0.99% ($32,300)|
|from Grafton County, NH||0.70% ($32,424)|
6.57% of this county's 2010 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2011 ($30,548 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved to foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2010 and 2011:
Strongest AM radio stations in West Fairlee:
- WTWN (1100 AM; daytime; 5 kW; WELLS RIVER, VT; Owner: PUFFER BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WNTK (1020 AM; 10 kW; NEWPORT, NH; Owner: KOOR COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- WRKO (680 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: ENTERCOM BOSTON LICENSE, LLC)
- WDEV (550 AM; 5 kW; WATERBURY, VT; Owner: RADIO VERMONT, INC.)
- WCHP (760 AM; 35 kW; CHAMPLAIN, NY; Owner: CHAMPLAIN RADIO, INC.)
- WPNH (1300 AM; 5 kW; PLYMOUTH, NH; Owner: NORTHEAST COMMUNICATIONS CORPORATION)
- WNNZ (640 AM; 50 kW; WESTFIELD, MA; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WCRN (830 AM; 50 kW; WORCESTER, MA; Owner: CARTER BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WGY (810 AM; 50 kW; SCHENECTADY, NY; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WEEI (850 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: ENTERCOM BOSTON LICENSE, LLC)
- WDCR (1340 AM; 1 kW; HANOVER, NH; Owner: TRUSTEES OF DARTMOUTH COLLEGE)
- WKOX (1200 AM; 50 kW; FRAMINGHAM, MA; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WBZ (1030 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: INFINITY BROADCASTING OPERATIONS, INC.)
Strongest FM radio stations in West Fairlee:
- WEVH (91.3 FM; HANOVER, NH; Owner: NEW HAMPSHIRE PUBLIC RADIO INC)
- WRJT (103.1 FM; ROYALTON, VT; Owner: LISBON COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- WEBK (105.3 FM; KILLINGTON, VT; Owner: 6 JOHNSON ROAD LICENSES, INC.)
- WJJR (98.1 FM; RUTLAND, VT; Owner: 6 JOHNSON ROAD LICENSES, INC.)
- WZRT (97.1 FM; RUTLAND, VT; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WPKQ (103.7 FM; NORTH CONWAY, NH; Owner: CITADEL BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WHOM (94.9 FM; MT. WASHINGTON, NH; Owner: CITADEL BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WGLV (91.7 FM; WOODSTOCK, VT; Owner: CHRISTIAN MINISTRIES INC)
- WHDQ-FM1 (106.1 FM; RUTLAND, VT; Owner: GREAT NORTHERN RADIO, L.L.C.)
- WVPR (89.5 FM; WINDSOR, VT; Owner: VERMONT PUBLIC RADIO)
- WHDQ (106.1 FM; CLAREMONT, NH; Owner: GREAT NORTHERN RADIO, L.L.C.)
- WDEV-FM (96.1 FM; WARREN, VT; Owner: RADIO VERMONT, INC.)
- WVFM (105.7 FM; CAMPTON, NH; Owner: DEVON BROADCASTING COMPANY, INC.)
- WPNH-FM (100.1 FM; PLYMOUTH, NH; Owner: NORTHEAST COMMUNICATIONS CORPORATION)
- WCVT (101.7 FM; STOWE, VT; Owner: RADIO VERMONT CLASSICS, L.L.C.)
- WVPS (107.9 FM; BURLINGTON, VT; Owner: VERMONT PUBLIC RADIO)
- WEZF (92.9 FM; BURLINGTON, VT; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WLKC (103.3 FM; WATERBURY, VT; Owner: RADIO BROADCASTING SERVICES, INC.)
- WXXK (100.5 FM; LEBANON, NH; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WNCS (104.7 FM; MONTPELIER, VT; Owner: MONTPELIER BROADCASTING, INC.)
TV broadcast stations around West Fairlee:
- W15BK (Channel 15; HANOVER, NH; Owner: UNIVERSITY OF NEW HAMPSHIRE)
West Fairlee fatal accident list:
- National Bridge Inventory (NBI) Statistics
- 7Number of bridges
- 13m43ftTotal length
- $796,000Total costs
- 5,440Total average daily traffic
- 288Total average daily truck traffic
- 7,710Total future (year 2018) average daily traffic
2006 National Fire Incident Reporting System Incidents:
- Fire: 10
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Fuel oil, kerosene, etc. (59%)
- Wood (20%)
- Bottled, tank, or LP gas (18%)
- Electricity (4%)
West Fairlee compared to Vermont state average:
- Unemployed percentage significantly below state average.
- Black race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage below state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage significantly below state average.
- Length of stay since moving in significantly above state average.
- Number of rooms per house significantly below state average.
- House age significantly below state average.
- Number of college students below state average.