West Ocean City, Maryland
West Ocean City: Assateague Island Wild Ponies at " The Wedge"
West Ocean City: No 8 clearing, War Admiral Course at GlenRiddle, sunrise
West Ocean City: Inlet Park, Bishopville, West OC dusk
We are giving away $1200 in prizes - enter simply by sending us your own city pictures!
|Median resident age:||48.4 years|
|Maryland median age:||38.2 years|
Zip codes: 21842.
|West Ocean City:||$68,883|
Estimated per capita income in 2013: $37,871 (it was $28,132 in 2000)
West Ocean City CDP income, earnings, and wages data
Estimated median house or condo value in 2013: $289,677 (it was $151,000 in 2000)
|West Ocean City:||$289,677|
Mean prices in 2013: All housing units: $268,020; Detached houses: $280,097; Townhouses or other attached units: $295,043; In 2-unit structures: $290,173; In 3-to-4-unit structures: $159,709; In 5-or-more-unit structures: $245,753; Mobile homes: $103,785
Median gross rent in 2013: $1,330.
Races in West Ocean City, MD (2010)
- 4,06993.0%White alone
- 601.4%Two or more races
- 521.2%Black alone
- 380.9%Asian alone
- 170.4%Other race alone
- 100.2%American Indian alone
- 40.09%Native Hawaiian and Other
Pacific Islander alone
|West Ocean City places that will take a dog. (0 replies)|
|Looking to Relocate...Maryland Maybe? (19 replies)|
|Are there any quiet beaches in Maryland with waves? (20 replies)|
|Please explain to me the different types of local gov't in MD (8 replies)|
|Ocean City next week???? (7 replies)|
|Moving to the Eastern Shore? (ocean city/salisbury area) (34 replies)|
Latest news from West Ocean City, MD collected exclusively by city-data.com from local newspapers, TV, and radio stations
Ancestries: German (16.5%), English (15.7%), Irish (14.9%), Italian (5.0%), United States (4.8%), Polish (3.8%).
Current Local Time: EST time zone
Elevation: 10 feet
Land area: 4.03 square miles.
Population density: 1,087 people per square mile(low).
For population 25 years and over in West Ocean City:
- High school or higher: 94.2%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 29.1%
- Graduate or professional degree: 10.4%
- Unemployed: 6.7%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 17.8 minutes
For population 15 years and over in West Ocean City CDP:
- Never married: 26.1%
- Now married: 54.1%
- Separated: 1.9%
- Widowed: 7.3%
- Divorced: 10.5%
456 residents are foreign born (6.4% Latin America, 2.7% Europe).
According to our research of Maryland and other state lists there were 4 registered sex offenders living in West Ocean City, Maryland as of August 30, 2015.
The ratio of number of residents in West Ocean City to the number of sex offenders is 1,094 to 1.
The number of registered sex offenders compared to the number of residents in this city is near the state average.
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units with mortgages in 2013: $2,290 (0.8%)
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units with no mortgage in 2013: $2,014 (0.7%)
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Vineland, NJ (79.4 miles , pop. 56,271).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: Baltimore, MD (105.4 miles , pop. 651,154).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: Philadelphia, PA (115.0 miles , pop. 1,517,550).
Nearest cities: Ocean Pines, MD (2.0 miles ), Ocean City, MD (2.1 miles ), Berlin, MD (2.3 miles ), Bishopville, MD (2.9 miles ), Fenwick Island, DE (3.0 miles ), Newark, MD (3.1 miles ), Selbyville, DE (3.2 miles ), Whaleyville, MD (3.3 miles) .
Latitude: 38.34 N, Longitude: 75.11 W
Unemployment by year (%)
- Accommodation and food services (29%)
- Construction (9%)
- Arts, entertainment, and recreation (9%)
- Public administration (8%)
- Retail trade (7%)
- Professional, scientific, and technical services (6%)
- Information (5%)
- Accommodation and food services (25%)
- Professional, scientific, and technical services (14%)
- Health care and social assistance (14%)
- Educational services (12%)
- Real estate and rental and leasing (9%)
- Retail trade (7%)
- Manufacturing (7%)
- Food preparation and serving related occupations (25%)
- Management occupations (16%)
- Sales and related occupations (11%)
- Building and grounds cleaning and maintenance occupations (7%)
- Installation, maintenance, and repair occupations (7%)
- Construction and extraction occupations (6%)
- Arts, design, entertainment, sports, and media occupations (6%)
- Office and administrative support occupations (18%)
- Management occupations (14%)
- Sales and related occupations (13%)
- Food preparation and serving related occupations (12%)
- Education, training, and library occupations (12%)
- Arts, design, entertainment, sports, and media occupations (7%)
- Business and financial operations occupations (6%)
Average climate in West Ocean City, Maryland
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
West Ocean City-area historical tornado activity is significantly below Maryland state average. It is 75% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 4/28/2002, a category F3 (max. wind speeds 158-206 mph) tornado 38.4 miles away from the West Ocean City place center caused $150,000 in damages.
On 8/12/1955, a category F2 (max. wind speeds 113-157 mph) tornado 13.7 miles away from the place center injured one person and caused between $500 and $5000 in damages.
Earthquake activity:West Ocean City-area historical earthquake activity is slightly below Maryland state average. It is 88% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 1/16/1994 at 01:49:16, a magnitude 4.6 (4.6 MB, 4.6 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi, Class: Light, Intensity: IV - V) earthquake occurred 146.6 miles away from the city center
On 12/9/2003 at 20:59:14, a magnitude 4.5 (4.5 MB, 4.5 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 160.7 miles away from West Ocean City center
On 1/16/1994 at 00:42:43, a magnitude 4.2 (4.2 MB, 4.0 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 145.9 miles away from the city center
On 8/22/1992 at 12:20:32, a magnitude 4.8 (4.8 MB, 3.8 MS, 4.7 LG, Depth: 6.2 mi) earthquake occurred 264.1 miles away from the city center
On 9/25/1998 at 19:52:52, a magnitude 5.2 (4.8 MB, 4.3 MS, 5.2 LG, 4.5 MW, Depth: 3.1 mi, Class: Moderate, Intensity: VI - VII) earthquake occurred 355.2 miles away from West Ocean City center
On 10/7/1983 at 10:18:46, a magnitude 5.3 (5.1 MB, 5.3 LG, 5.1 ML) earthquake occurred 390.6 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: regional Lg-wave magnitude (LG), body-wave magnitude (MB), local magnitude (ML), surface-wave magnitude (MS), moment magnitude (MW)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Worcester County (5) is smaller than the US average (12).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 3
Emergencies Declared: 2
Causes of natural disasters: Hurricanes: 2, Blizzard: 1, Snowfall: 1, Tropical Storm: 1, Winter Storm: 1 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Hospitals and medical centers near West Ocean City:
- BERLIN NURSING AND REHABILITATION CENTER (Nursing Home, about 6 miles away; BERLIN, MD)
- ATLANTIC GENERAL HOSPITAL Acute Care Hospitals (about 6 miles away; BERLIN, MD)
- ATLANTIC GENERAL HOSP COMP CARE UNIT (Nursing Home, about 6 miles away; BERLIN, MD)
- DAVITA - BERLIN DIALYSIS (Dialysis Facility, about 6 miles away; BERLIN, MD)
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to West Ocean City:
- Wor-Wic Community College (about 22 miles; Salisbury, MD; Full-time enrollment: 2,256)
- Salisbury University (about 27 miles; Salisbury, MD; FT enrollment: 8,375)
- Delaware Technical Community College-Owens (about 30 miles; Georgetown, DE; FT enrollment: 3,159)
- University of Maryland Eastern Shore (about 33 miles; Princess Anne, MD; FT enrollment: 3,902)
- Delaware State University (about 64 miles; Dover, DE; FT enrollment: 4,087)
- Delaware Technical Community College-Terry (about 65 miles; Dover, DE; FT enrollment: 2,239)
- Cumberland County College (about 77 miles; Vineland, NJ; FT enrollment: 2,898)
Notable locations in West Ocean City: Sunset Marina (A), Sunset Business Park (B), Route 611 Business Center (C), Fishermans Marina (D), Worcester County Fire Department Ocean City Volunteer Fire Company Station 5 (E). Display/hide their locations on the map
Creeks: Jenkins Creek (A), Turville Creek (B), Herring Creek (C). Display/hide their locations on the map
Air pollution and air quality trends
(lower is better)
(5.7% for White Non-Hispanic residents, 72.7% for Black residents, 75.9% for Hispanic or Latino residents)
|This place:||2.4 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
Likely homosexual households (counted as self-reported same-sex unmarried-partner households)
- Lesbian couples: 0.6% of all households
- Gay men: 0.1% of all households
People in group quarters in West Ocean City in 2010:
- 18 people in emergency and transitional shelters (with sleeping facilities) for people experiencing homelessness
- 2 people in nursing facilities/skilled-nursing facilities
- 2 people in workers' group living quarters and job corps centers
West Ocean City compared to Maryland state average:
- Unemployed percentage below state average.
- Black race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage below state average.
- Median age significantly above state average.
- Renting percentage below state average.
- Length of stay since moving in above state average.
- House age below state average.
Educational Attainment (%) in 2013
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2013
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Electricity (59%)
- Utility gas (21%)
- Bottled, tank, or LP gas (9%)
- Fuel oil, kerosene, etc. (9%)
- No fuel used (1%)
- Other fuel (1%)
Presidential Elections Results
Graphs represent county-level data. Detailed 2008 Election Results
Religion statistics for West Ocean City CDP (based on Worcester County data)
Food Environment Statistics:
|Worcester County:||3.86 / 10,000 pop.|
|Maryland:||1.96 / 10,000 pop.|
|This county:||0.20 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||0.07 / 10,000 pop.|
|Worcester County:||3.86 / 10,000 pop.|
|Maryland:||1.22 / 10,000 pop.|
|Worcester County:||5.28 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||2.05 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||30.65 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||5.40 / 10,000 pop.|
6.93% of this county's 2011 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2010 ($53,889 average adjusted gross income)
0.20% of residents moved from foreign countries ($456 average AGI)
Worcester County: 0.20% Maryland average: 0.09%
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2010 and 2011:
|from Wicomico County, MD||1.38% ($58,037 average AGI)|
|from Sussex County, DE||0.46% ($30,570)|
|from Baltimore County, MD||0.41% ($57,909)|
6.87% of this county's 2010 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2011 ($35,822 average adjusted gross income)
0.06% of residents moved to foreign countries ($260 average AGI)
Worcester County: 0.06% Maryland average: 0.11%
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2010 and 2011:
Strongest AM radio stations in West Ocean City:
- WKHZ (1590 AM; 1 kW; OCEAN CITY, MD; Owner: RADIO BROADCAST COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- WTGM (960 AM; 10 kW; SALISBURY, MD; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WJWL (900 AM; 11 kW; GEORGETOWN, DE; Owner: GREAT SCOTT BROADCASTING)
- WBIS (1190 AM; 50 kW; ANNAPOLIS, MD; Owner: NATIONS RADIO, LLC)
- WVCH (740 AM; 50 kW; CHESTER, PA; Owner: WVCH COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- WWGB (1030 AM; daytime; 50 kW; INDIAN HEAD, MD; Owner: GOOD BODY MEDIA, LLC)
- WCBM (680 AM; 50 kW; BALTIMORE, MD; Owner: WCBM MARYLAND, INC.)
- WTEM (980 AM; 50 kW; WASHINGTON, DC; Owner: AMFM RADIO LICENSES, L.L.C.)
- WJDY (1470 AM; 5 kW; SALISBURY, MD; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WPEN (950 AM; 50 kW; PHILADELPHIA, PA; Owner: GREATER PHILADELPHIA RADIO, INC.)
- WTAR (850 AM; 50 kW; NORFOLK, VA; Owner: SINCLAIR COMMUNICATIONS)
- WWJZ (640 AM; 50 kW; MOUNT HOLLY, NJ; Owner: ABC, INC.)
- WWLG (1370 AM; 50 kW; BALTIMORE, MD; Owner: M-10 BROADCASTING, INC.)
Strongest FM radio stations in West Ocean City:
- WRXS (106.9 FM; OCEAN CITY, MD; Owner: ATLANTIC RADIO BROADCASTING, LLC)
- WLBW (92.1 FM; FENWICK ISLAND, DE; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WOCM (98.1 FM; SELBYVILLE, DE; Owner: IRIE RADIO, INC.)
- WWFG (99.9 FM; OCEAN CITY, MD; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WQJZ (97.1 FM; OCEAN PINES, MD; Owner: DELMARVA BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WQHQ (104.7 FM; OCEAN CITY-SALISBURY, MD; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WZEB (101.7 FM; OCEAN VIEW, DE; Owner: GREAT SCOTT BROADCASTING)
- WOSC (95.9 FM; BETHANY BEACH, DE; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WOCQ (103.9 FM; BERLIN, MD; Owner: GREAT SCOTT BROADCASTING)
- WSDL (90.7 FM; OCEAN CITY, MD; Owner: SALISBURY UNIVERSITY FOUNDATION, INC.)
- WZBH (93.5 FM; GEORGETOWN, DE; Owner: GREAT SCOTT BROADCASTING)
- WJNE (103.5 FM; BETHANY BEACH, DE; Owner: GREAT SCOTT BROADCASTING)
- WLVW-FM (105.5 FM; SALISBURY, MD; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
TV broadcast stations around West Ocean City:
- WRAV-LP (Channel 8; OCEAN CITY, MD; Owner: ASIAVISION, INC.)
- WBOC-TV (Channel 16; SALISBURY, MD; Owner: WBOC, INC.)
- WEWE-LP (Channel 24; SUSSEX COUNTY, DE; Owner: OCEAN 60 BROADCASTING ASSOCIATION)
- WMDT (Channel 47; SALISBURY, MD; Owner: DELMARVA BROADCAST SERVICE GENERAL PARTNERSHIP)
- WCPB (Channel 28; SALISBURY, MD; Owner: MARYLAND PUBLIC BROADCASTING COMMISSION)
- W38BN (Channel 38; SALISBURY, MD; Owner: SALISBURY EDUCATIONAL B/CTING FOUND.)
- WDPB (Channel 64; SEAFORD, DE; Owner: WHYY, INC.)
- WBLP-LP (Channel 22; OCEAN CITY, MD; Owner: OCEAN 22 BROADCASTING ASSOCIATION)
- WLWP-LP (Channel 4; MILLSBORO, ETC., DE; Owner: OCEAN 4 BROADCASTING ASSOCIATION)
Businesses in West Ocean City, MD
- Blockbuster: 1
- Subway: 1