|Median resident age:||46.9 years|
|Wisconsin median age:||42.6 years|
Zip codes: 54837.
West Sweden town income, earnings, and wages data
Estimated median house or condo value in 2012: $146,642 (it was $91,600 in 2000)
- White alone - 680 (97.3%)
- Hispanic - 10 (1.4%)
- Two or more races - 4 (0.6%)
- American Indian alone - 3 (0.4%)
- Asian alone - 2 (0.3%)
Latest news from West Sweden, WI collected exclusively by city-data.com from local newspapers, TV, and radio stations
Ancestries: German (24.4%), Swedish (22.8%), Norwegian (18.5%), Danish (8.8%), English (7.8%), Irish (6.8%).
Current Local Time: CST time zone
Elevation: 1005 feet
Land area: 32.6 square miles.Population density: 21 people per square mile (very low).
For population 25 years and over in West Sweden:
- High school or higher: 87.6%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 13.3%
- Graduate or professional degree: 3.5%
- Unemployed: 3.8%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 25.9 minutes
For population 15 years and over in West Sweden town:
- Never married: 21.5%
- Now married: 63.3%
- Separated: 1.6%
- Widowed: 4.2%
- Divorced: 9.3%
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units in 2000:
|West Sweden town:||1.4% ($1,250)|
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Coon Rapids, MN (54.5 miles , pop. 61,607).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: St. Paul, MN (60.1 miles , pop. 287,151).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: Chicago, IL (358.0 miles , pop. 2,896,016).
Nearest cities: Frederic, WI (1.6 miles ), Lewis, WI (1.8 miles) , Daniels, WI (2.0 miles ), Clam Falls, WI (2.3 miles ), Trade Lake, WI (2.5 miles ), Wood River, WI (2.7 miles ), Siren, WI (2.7 miles ), Laketown, WI (2.9 miles ).
Latitude: 45.69 N, Longitude: 92.47 W
Area code commonly used in this area: 715
- Construction (17%)
- Metal and metal products (9%)
- Agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting (7%)
- Utilities (6%)
- Health care (6%)
- Truck transportation (5%)
- Educational services (5%)
- Health care (16%)
- Educational services (11%)
- Food and beverage stores (9%)
- Publishing, and motion picture and sound recording industries (6%)
- Social assistance (6%)
- Public administration (6%)
- Finance and insurance (5%)
- Metal workers and plastic workers (15%)
- Electrical equipment mechanics and other installation, maintenance, and repair occupations including supervisors (9%)
- Other production occupations including supervisors (7%)
- Farmers and farm managers (6%)
- Laborers and material movers, hand (5%)
- Food processing workers (4%)
- Other management occupations except farmers and farm managers (4%)
- Secretaries and administrative assistants (12%)
- Preschool, kindergarten, elementary and middle school teachers (8%)
- Bookkeeping, accounting, and auditing clerks (8%)
- Other office and administrative support workers including supervisors (7%)
- Counselors, social workers, and other community and social service specialists (5%)
- Metal workers and plastic workers (5%)
- Other sales and related workers including supervisors (4%)
Average climate in West Sweden, Wisconsin
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
West Sweden-area historical tornado activity is slightly below Wisconsin state average. It is 14% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 5/21/1957, a category F4 (max. wind speeds 207-260 mph) tornado 19.5 miles away from the West Sweden town center injured 2 people and caused between $5000 and $50,000 in damages.
On 6/23/1952, a category F3 (max. wind speeds 158-206 mph) tornado 10.3 miles away from the town center killed 2 people and injured 6 people and caused between $500,000 and $5,000,000 in damages.
Earthquake activity:West Sweden-area historical earthquake activity is below Wisconsin state average. It is 94% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 7/9/1975 at 14:54:15, a magnitude 4.6 (4.6 MB, Class: Light, Intensity: IV - V) earthquake occurred 172.7 miles away from the city center
On 6/5/1993 at 01:24:53, a magnitude 4.1 (4.1 LG, Depth: 6.2 mi) earthquake occurred 184.8 miles away from West Sweden center
On 3/4/1983 at 06:32:18, a magnitude 4.6 (4.4 MB, 4.6 LG, 4.4 ML) earthquake occurred 354.7 miles away from the city center
On 10/20/1995 at 15:57:18, a magnitude 3.7 (3.7 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi, Class: Light, Intensity: II - III) earthquake occurred 212.3 miles away from the city center
On 2/9/1994 at 08:45:35, a magnitude 3.1 (3.1 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 132.1 miles away from West Sweden center
On 6/28/2004 at 06:10:52, a magnitude 4.2 (4.0 MB, 4.2 MW, Depth: 6.2 mi) earthquake occurred 343.0 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: regional Lg-wave magnitude (LG), body-wave magnitude (MB), local magnitude (ML), moment magnitude (MW)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Polk County (7) is smaller than the US average (12).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 4
Emergencies Declared: 3
Causes of natural disasters: Floods: 4, Storms: 3, Tornadoes: 3, Drought: 1, Hurricane: 1, Wind: 1 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to West Sweden:
- Wisconsin Indianhead Technical College (about 27 miles; Shell Lake, WI; Full-time enrollment: 2,414)
- Century College (about 52 miles; White Bear Lake, MN; FT enrollment: 7,393)
- Bethel University (about 56 miles; Saint Paul, MN; FT enrollment: 4,061)
- Anoka-Ramsey Community College (about 57 miles; Coon Rapids, MN; FT enrollment: 5,918)
- University of Northwestern-St Paul (about 58 miles; Saint Paul, MN; FT enrollment: 2,680)
- University of Wisconsin-River Falls (about 59 miles; River Falls, WI; FT enrollment: 5,868)
- Metropolitan State University (about 59 miles; Saint Paul, MN; FT enrollment: 6,159)
Lakes: Rice Lake (A), Blom Lake (B), Diamond Lake (C), Young Lake (D), Fern Lake (E), Hickory Lake (F), Aspen Lake (G), Fountain Lake (H). Display/hide their locations on the map
|This town:||2.4 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
Likely homosexual households (counted as self-reported same-sex unmarried-partner households)
- Lesbian couples: 0.0% of all households
- Gay men: 0.3% of all households
Residents with income below the poverty level in 2009:
Residents with income below 50% of the poverty level in 2009:
West Sweden compared to Wisconsin state average:
- Median house value below state average.
- Unemployed percentage below state average.
- Black race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Median age above state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage significantly below state average.
- Renting percentage significantly below state average.
- Length of stay since moving in significantly above state average.
- Number of rooms per house significantly below state average.
- House age significantly below state average.
- Number of college students significantly below state average.
Educational Attainment (%) in 2000
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2000
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Bottled, tank, or LP gas (52%)
- Wood (18%)
- Fuel oil, kerosene, etc. (13%)
- Utility gas (10%)
- Electricity (6%)
Religion statistics for West Sweden town (based on Polk County data)Percentage of population affiliated with a religious congregations: 57.81%
Breakdown of population affiliated with a religious congregations
|Name||Evangelical Lutheran Church in America||Catholic Church||Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod||United Methodist Church||Lutheran Church|
|Name||Christian and Missionary Alliance||Baptist General Conference||Evangelical Free Church of America||United Church of Christ||Other|
Tables represent county-level data.
Food Environment Statistics:
|Polk County:||2.49 / 10,000 pop.|
|Wisconsin:||1.86 / 10,000 pop.|
|Polk County:||0.23 / 10,000 pop.|
|Wisconsin:||0.38 / 10,000 pop.|
|Polk County:||5.65 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||4.12 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||8.37 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||8.64 / 10,000 pop.|
6.49% of this county's 2006 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2005 ($38,121 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved from foreign countries between 2005 and 2006.
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2005 and 2006:
|from St. Croix County, WI||1.20% ($38,739 average AGI)|
|from Chisago County, MN||0.52% ($38,685)|
|from Barron County, WI||0.47% ($23,988)|
6.05% of this county's 2005 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2006 ($36,277 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved to foreign countries between 2005 and 2006.
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2005 and 2006:
Strongest AM radio stations in West Sweden:
- WCCO (830 AM; 50 kW; MINNEAPOLIS, MN; Owner: INFINITY MEDIA CORPORATION)
- WEBC (560 AM; 50 kW; DULUTH, MN)
- WCTS (1030 AM; 50 kW; MAPLEWOOD, MN; Owner: CNTL. BAPT. THEO/AL SEMI MINNEAPOLIS)
- KSTP (1500 AM; 50 kW; ST. PAUL, MN; Owner: KSTP-AM, LLC (DELAWARE))
- KTIS (900 AM; 25 kW; MINNEAPOLIS, MN; Owner: NORTHWESTERN COLLEGE)
- KFAN (1130 AM; 50 kW; MINNEAPOLIS, MN; Owner: AMFM RADIO LICENSES, L.L.C.)
- WDGY (630 AM; 8 kW; HUDSON, WI; Owner: 630 RADIO, INCORPORATED)
- WXCE (1260 AM; 5 kW; AMERY, WI; Owner: LAKE COUNTRY BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WAQE (1090 AM; daytime; 5 kW; RICE LAKE, WI; Owner: TKC, INC.)
- WDSM (710 AM; 10 kW; SUPERIOR, WI; Owner: MIDWEST COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- WMEQ (880 AM; 10 kW; MENOMONIE, WI; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WWJC (850 AM; daytime; 10 kW; DULUTH, MN; Owner: WWJC, INC.)
- WHSM (910 AM; 5 kW; HAYWARD, WI; Owner: QB BROADCASTING, LTD.)
Strongest FM radio stations in West Sweden:
- WXCX (105.7 FM; SIREN, WI; Owner: QUARNSTROM MEDIA GROUP, LLC)
- WGMO (95.3 FM; SHELL LAKE, WI; Owner: ZOE COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- WXPT (104.1 FM; ST. LOUIS PARK, MN; Owner: THE AUDIO HOUSE, INC.)
- WLMX-FM (104.9 FM; BALSAM LAKE, WI; Owner: QUARNSTROM MEDIA GROUP, LLC)
TV broadcast stations around West Sweden:
- W24CL (Channel 24; GRANTSBURG, WI; Owner: STATE OF WISCONSIN - EDUCATIONAL COMMUNICATIONS BOARD)
Total length: 1 meters (3ft)
Total average daily traffic: 200
Total future (year 2029) average daily traffic: 200