|Median resident age:||32.9 years|
|Oklahoma median age:||35.5 years|
Zip code: 73939
West Texas CCD income, earnings, and wages data
Estimated median house or condo value in 2012: $82,286 (it was $56,000 in 2000)
- White alone - 1,254 (71.2%)
- Hispanic - 467 (26.5%)
- Two or more races - 22 (1.2%)
- American Indian alone - 14 (0.8%)
- Asian alone - 3 (0.2%)
- Other race alone - 1 (0.06%)
Current Local Time: CST time zone
Land area: 687.8 square miles.
Population density: 2.6 people per square mile(very low).
For population 25 years and over in West Texas:
- High school or higher: 73.0%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 18.4%
- Graduate or professional degree: 3.0%
- Unemployed: 3.8%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 20.1 minutes
For population 15 years and over in West Texas CCD:
- Never married: 19.7%
- Now married: 71.0%
- Separated: 1.8%
- Widowed: 4.1%
- Divorced: 5.1%
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units in 2000:
|West Texas CCD:||0.5% ($285)|
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Amarillo, TX (106.5 miles , pop. 173,627).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: Colorado Springs, CO (219.5 miles , pop. 360,890).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: Dallas, TX (394.3 miles , pop. 1,188,580).
Nearest cities: Goodwell, OK (3.8 miles ), Texhoma, OK (4.0 miles ), Texhoma, TX (4.1 miles ), Guymon, OK (4.3 miles ), Elkhart, KS (4.4 miles ), Keyes, OK (5.0 miles ), Optima, OK (5.0 miles ), Rolla, KS (5.3 miles ).
Latitude: 36.74 N, Longitude: 101.81 W
Area code commonly used in this area: 580
Unemployment by year (%)
- Agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting (34%)
- Construction (13%)
- Food (7%)
- Educational services (4%)
- Mining, quarrying, and oil and gas extraction (3%)
- Repair and maintenance (3%)
- Professional, scientific, and technical services (3%)
- Educational services (20%)
- Health care (12%)
- Agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting (10%)
- Accommodation and food services (8%)
- Food (6%)
- Finance and insurance (6%)
- Social assistance (3%)
- Farmers and farm managers (21%)
- Agricultural workers including supervisors (14%)
- Electrical equipment mechanics and other installation, maintenance, and repair occupations including supervisors (4%)
- Driver/sales workers and truck drivers (4%)
- Other sales and related workers including supervisors (4%)
- Material recording, scheduling, dispatching, and distributing workers (3%)
- Construction trades workers except carpenters, electricians, painters, plumbers, and construction laborers (3%)
- Other management occupations except farmers and farm managers (8%)
- Secretaries and administrative assistants (7%)
- Preschool, kindergarten, elementary and middle school teachers (7%)
- Cooks and food preparation workers (5%)
- Farmers and farm managers (5%)
- Other teachers and instructors, education, training, and library occupations (4%)
- Registered nurses (4%)
Average climate in West Texas, Oklahoma
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
West Texas-area historical tornado activity is significantly below Oklahoma state average. It is 8% greater than the overall U.S. average.
On 5/18/1977, a category F4 (max. wind speeds 207-260 mph) tornado 30.7 miles away from the West Texas place center caused between $500,000 and $5,000,000 in damages.
On 6/9/1971, a category F4 tornado 39.5 miles away from the place center .
Earthquake activity:West Texas-area historical earthquake activity is significantly above Oklahoma state average. It is 10% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 2/15/1974 at 13:33:49, a magnitude 4.6 (4.5 MB, 4.6 LG, Class: Light, Intensity: IV - V) earthquake occurred 64.1 miles away from the city center
On 8/10/2005 at 22:08:22, a magnitude 5.0 (5.0 MB, 4.7 MS, 5.0 MW, Depth: 3.1 mi, Class: Moderate, Intensity: VI - VII) earthquake occurred 164.4 miles away from West Texas center
On 6/16/1978 at 11:46:54, a magnitude 5.3 (4.4 MB, 4.6 UK, 5.3 ML) earthquake occurred 263.2 miles away from the city center
On 1/3/2007 at 14:34:38, a magnitude 4.6 (4.6 MB, 4.4 MW, 4.4 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 172.2 miles away from the city center
On 9/5/2001 at 10:52:07, a magnitude 4.5 (4.5 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 157.8 miles away from West Texas center
On 3/22/2004 at 12:09:56, a magnitude 4.4 (4.4 MB, 4.4 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 168.7 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: regional Lg-wave magnitude (LG), body-wave magnitude (MB), local magnitude (ML), surface-wave magnitude (MS), moment magnitude (MW)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Texas County (12) is near the US average (12).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 6
Emergencies Declared: 5
Causes of natural disasters: Winter Storms: 6, Storms: 3, Floods: 2, Tornadoes: 2, Fire: 1, Hurricane: 1, Ice Storm: 1, Wind: 1 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to West Texas:
- Amarillo College (about 108 miles; Amarillo, TX; Full-time enrollment: 6,622)
- West Texas A & M University (about 122 miles; Canyon, TX; FT enrollment: 6,820)
- Wayland Baptist University (about 177 miles; Plainview, TX; FT enrollment: 5,526)
- Colorado State University-Pueblo (about 187 miles; Pueblo, CO; FT enrollment: 5,993)
- Pueblo Community College (about 188 miles; Pueblo, CO; FT enrollment: 5,329)
- Southwestern Oklahoma State University (about 193 miles; Weatherford, OK; FT enrollment: 4,126)
- Eastern New Mexico University-Main Campus (about 198 miles; Portales, NM; FT enrollment: 4,263)
Notable locations in West Texas: Four Corners (A), Texhoma Volunteer Ambulance Service (B), Texhoma Volunteer Fire Department (C), Yarbrough Fire Department (D). Display/hide their locations on the map
Cemeteries: Baker Cemetery (1), Bethel Cemetery (2), Cosmos Cemetery (3), Kuhn Cemetery (4). Display/hide their locations on the map
Reservoir: Etling Number 2 Reservoir (A). Display/hide its location on the map
Creeks: Tepee Creek (A), Spring Aroa Creek (B), Sand Creek (C). Display/hide their locations on the map
|This place:||2.8 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
Likely homosexual households (counted as self-reported same-sex unmarried-partner households)
- Lesbian couples: 0.2% of all households
- Gay men: 0.0% of all households
Residents with income below the poverty level in 2009:
Residents with income below 50% of the poverty level in 2009:
West Texas compared to Oklahoma state average:
- Median house value below state average.
- Unemployed percentage below state average.
- Black race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage above state average.
- Median age below state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage significantly below state average.
- Length of stay since moving in significantly above state average.
- Number of rooms per house significantly below state average.
- House age significantly below state average.
- Number of college students below state average.
Educational Attainment (%) in 2000
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2000
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Utility gas (69%)
- Bottled, tank, or LP gas (21%)
- Electricity (9%)
- Wood (1%)
Presidential Elections Results
1996 Presidential Elections Results
2000 Presidential Elections Results
2004 Presidential Elections Results
2008 Presidential Elections Results
2012 Presidential Elections Results
Graphs represent county-level data. Detailed 2008 Election Results
Religion statistics for West Texas CCD (based on Texas County data)Percentage of population affiliated with a religious congregations: 82.83%
Breakdown of population affiliated with a religious congregations
|Name||Catholic Church||Southern Baptist Convention||United Methodist Church||Church of the Nazarene||Churches of Christ|
|Name||Lutheran Church||Christian Church (Disciples of Christ)||Christian Churches and Churches of Christ||International Pentecostal Holiness Church||Other|
Tables represent county-level data.
Food Environment Statistics:
|Texas County:||3.02 / 10,000 pop.|
|Oklahoma:||1.97 / 10,000 pop.|
|Texas County:||1.01 / 10,000 pop.|
|Oklahoma:||0.76 / 10,000 pop.|
|Texas County:||4.52 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||4.35 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||9.05 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||6.89 / 10,000 pop.|
9.00% of this county's 2011 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2010 ($26,808 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved from foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2010 and 2011:
|from Seward County, KS||0.86% ($31,645 average AGI)|
|from Miami-Dade County, FL||0.65% ($15,532)|
|from Moore County, TX||0.46% ($25,879)|
8.86% of this county's 2010 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2011 ($29,828 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved to foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2010 and 2011:
Strongest AM radio stations in West Texas:
- KGYN (1210 AM; 50 kW; GUYMON, OK; Owner: TELNS BROADCASTING COMPANY, INC.)
- KGNC (710 AM; 10 kW; AMARILLO, TX; Owner: MCC RADIO, LLC)
- KICA (980 AM; 50 kW; CLOVIS, NM; Owner: BROADCAST ENTERTAINMENT CORPORATION)
- KSCB (1270 AM; 5 kW; LIBERAL, KS; Owner: SEWARD COUNTY BROADCASTING CO., INC.)
- KMUL (1380 AM; 50 kW; MULESHOE, TX; Owner: BROADCAST ENTERTAINMENT CORPORATION)
- KKOB (770 AM; 50 kW; ALBUQUERQUE, NM; Owner: CITADEL BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- KLTT (670 AM; 50 kW; COMMERCE CITY, CO; Owner: KLZ RADIO, INC.)
- KOA (850 AM; 50 kW; DENVER, CO; Owner: JACOR BROADCASTING OF COLORADO, INC.)
- KKZN (760 AM; 50 kW; THORNTON, CO; Owner: JACOR BROADCASTING OF COLORADO, INC.)
- KMXA (1090 AM; 50 kW; AURORA, CO; Owner: ENTRAVISION HOLDINGS, LLC)
- KRMG (740 AM; 50 kW; TULSA, OK; Owner: CXR HOLDINGS, INC.)
- KINF (1020 AM; 50 kW; ROSWELL, NM; Owner: JAMES CRYSTAL HOLDINGS OF NEW MEXICO, INC.)
- KRVN (880 AM; 50 kW; LEXINGTON, NE; Owner: NEBRASKA RURAL RADIO ASSOCIATION)
Strongest FM radio stations in West Texas:
- K215CV (90.9 FM; GUYMON, OK; Owner: LIFE ON THE WAY COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- KKBS (92.7 FM; GUYMON, OK; Owner: MLS COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- K211CB (90.1 FM; GUYMON, OK; Owner: GUYMON OKLAHOMA TRANSLATOR COMMITTEE)
- KPSU (91.7 FM; GOODWELL, OK; Owner: PANHANDLE STATE UNIVERSITY)
TV broadcast stations around West Texas:
- K28GI (Channel 63; GUYMON, OK; Owner: GUYMON TV TRANSLATOR, INC.)
- K57HY (Channel 57; GUYMON, OK; Owner: GUYMON TV TRANSLATOR, INC.)
- K30FY (Channel 30; GUYMON, OK; Owner: GUYMON TV TRANSLATOR, INC.)
- K59GF (Channel 59; GUYMON, ETC., OK; Owner: GUYMON TV TRANSLATOR, INC.)