We are giving away $1200 in prizes - enter simply by sending us your own city pictures!
|Median resident age:||48.3 years|
|Maine median age:||43.0 years|
Zip codes: 04787.
Estimated per capita income in 2013: $19,005 (it was $13,533 in 2000)
Westfield town income, earnings, and wages data
Estimated median house or condo value in 2013: $78,481 (it was $50,700 in 2000)
Races in Westfield, ME (2010)
- 54398.9%White alone
- 40.7%American Indian alone
- 20.4%Black alone
Recent articles from our blog. Our writers, many of them Ph.D. graduates or candidates, create easy-to-read articles on a wide variety of topics.
- More borrowers make early loan repayments in spring Feb 12
- How Does the Presence of a Major Employer Affect Crime Rates? Feb 10
- Prosper default rate decreased in 2014 Feb 8
- How important is peer-to-peer loan diversification? Feb 6
- Where Do the Young and Old People Live, and How Has That Changed Over the Years? Feb 4
|Hidden Mainers and Hampshirites (19 replies)|
|Presque Ilse and surrounding, house to rent (0 replies)|
|Aroostook County questions (46 replies)|
|my search for housing (16 replies)|
|Considering moving to Northern Maine, Aroostook County. (24 replies)|
|Floridian to Portland area? Any advice? (19 replies)|
Latest news from Westfield, ME collected exclusively by city-data.com from local newspapers, TV, and radio stations
Ancestries: English (31.8%), French (21.3%), Irish (16.3%), Scottish (8.1%), Scotch-Irish (7.0%), German (6.8%).
Current Local Time: EST time zone
Incorporated on 03/07/1905
Elevation: 475 feet
Land area: 40.3 square miles.
Population density: 14 people per square mile(very low).
For population 25 years and over in Westfield:
- High school or higher: 75.0%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 10.7%
- Graduate or professional degree: 1.4%
- Unemployed: 4.8%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 22.0 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Westfield town:
- Never married: 20.0%
- Now married: 61.0%
- Separated: 1.3%
- Widowed: 6.9%
- Divorced: 10.9%
29 residents are foreign born (4.7% North America, 0.5% Europe).
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units in 2000:
|Westfield town:||1.3% ($657)|
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Portland, ME (230.7 miles , pop. 64,249).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: Boston, MA (332.3 miles , pop. 589,141).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: Bronx, NY (494.3 miles , pop. 1,332,650).
Nearest cities: Mars Hill, ME (2.1 miles ), Mars Hill-Blaine, ME (2.2 miles ), Blaine, ME (2.6 miles ), Easton, ME (2.7 miles ), Presque Isle, ME (2.9 miles ), Bridgewater, ME (3.2 miles ), Chapman, ME (3.2 miles ), Mapleton, ME (3.6 miles ).
Single-family new house construction building permits:
- 2003: 2 buildings, average cost: $85,000
- 2004: 2 buildings, average cost: $85,000
- 2005: 1 building, cost: $180,000
- 2008: 1 building, cost: $75,000
- 2009: 1 building, cost: $65,000
- 2010: 1 building, cost: $100,000
Number of permits per 10,000 residents
Average cost (in $1000s)
Latitude: 46.57 N, Longitude: 67.93 W
Area code commonly used in this area: 207
Unemployment by year (%)
- Agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting (11%)
- Groceries and related products merchant wholesalers (11%)
- Construction (10%)
- Food (10%)
- Health care (7%)
- Farm supplies merchant wholesalers (5%)
- Truck transportation (5%)
- Health care (25%)
- Social assistance (13%)
- Educational services (10%)
- Food and beverage stores (9%)
- Administrative and support and waste management services (7%)
- Finance and insurance (5%)
- Accommodation and food services (5%)
- Driver/sales workers and truck drivers (16%)
- Other sales and related workers including supervisors (6%)
- Agricultural workers including supervisors (6%)
- Sales representatives, services, wholesale and manufacturing (6%)
- Carpenters (6%)
- Laborers and material movers, hand (5%)
- Operations specialties managers except financial managers (4%)
- Secretaries and administrative assistants (8%)
- Health technologists and technicians (7%)
- Material recording, scheduling, dispatching, and distributing workers (7%)
- Counselors, social workers, and other community and social service specialists (6%)
- Other office and administrative support workers including supervisors (6%)
- Other production occupations including supervisors (6%)
- Cashiers (5%)
Average climate in Westfield, Maine
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Earthquake activity:Westfield-area historical earthquake activity is below Maine state average. It is 95% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 7/14/2006 at 09:34:49, a magnitude 4.0 (3.5 MW, 4.0 LG, Depth: 14.9 mi, Class: Light, Intensity: IV - V) earthquake occurred 43.3 miles away from the city center
On 4/20/2002 at 10:50:47, a magnitude 5.2 (5.2 MB, 4.2 MS, 5.2 MW, 5.0 MW, Depth: 6.8 mi, Class: Moderate, Intensity: VI - VII) earthquake occurred 314.9 miles away from Westfield center
On 10/3/2006 at 00:07:38, a magnitude 4.3 (3.8 MB, 3.8 MW, 4.3 LG, Depth: 4.0 mi) earthquake occurred 153.9 miles away from the city center
On 10/7/1983 at 10:18:46, a magnitude 5.3 (5.1 MB, 5.3 LG, 5.1 ML) earthquake occurred 360.4 miles away from the city center
On 1/19/1982 at 00:14:42, a magnitude 4.7 (4.5 MB, 4.7 MD, 4.5 LG) earthquake occurred 277.6 miles away from Westfield center
On 9/16/1994 at 04:22:42, a magnitude 3.6 (3.6 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi, Class: Light, Intensity: II - III) earthquake occurred 88.2 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: regional Lg-wave magnitude (LG), body-wave magnitude (MB), duration magnitude (MD), local magnitude (ML), surface-wave magnitude (MS), moment magnitude (MW)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Aroostook County (21) is a lot greater than the US average (12).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 12
Emergencies Declared: 9
Causes of natural disasters: Floods: 10, Storms: 8, Snows: 7, Heavy Rains: 2, Blizzard: 1, Hurricane: 1, Ice Storm: 1, Snowfall: 1, Snowstorm: 1, Wind: 1, Winter Storm: 1, Other: 1 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Hospitals and medical centers near Westfield:
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Westfield:
- University of Maine (about 121 miles; Orono, ME; Full-time enrollment: 8,931)
- Husson University (about 128 miles; Bangor, ME; FT enrollment: 2,421)
- University of Maine at Farmington (about 170 miles; Farmington, ME; FT enrollment: 2,036)
- University of Maine at Augusta (about 179 miles; Augusta, ME; FT enrollment: 3,204)
- Saint Joseph's College of Maine (about 227 miles; Standish, ME; FT enrollment: 2,010)
- Southern Maine Community College (about 231 miles; South Portland, ME; FT enrollment: 4,666)
- University of Southern Maine (about 232 miles; Portland, ME; FT enrollment: 6,647)
Cemetery: Marshall Cemetery (1). Display/hide its location on the map
Lakes and reservoirs: Westfield Lake (A), Water District Reservoir (B), Youngs Lake (C), Burntland Stream (D), Smith Farm Pond (E). Display/hide their locations on the map
Streams, rivers, and creeks: Little Burnt Land Stream (A), Rideout Brook (B), Johnson Brook (C), Pretty Brook (D). Display/hide their locations on the map
Hotel: First Settler's Lodge (Houlton Road) (1). Display/hide its approximate location on the map
Air pollution and air quality trends
(lower is better)
Air Quality Index (AQI) level in 2012 was 90.9. This is worse than average.
Carbon Monoxide (CO) [ppm] level in 2012 was 0.162. This is significantly better than average. Closest monitor was 10.2 miles away from the city center.
Nitrogen Dioxide (NO2) [ppb] level in 2012 was 2.20. This is significantly better than average. Closest monitor was 8.8 miles away from the city center.
Sulfur Dioxide (SO2) [ppb] level in 2012 was 0.555. This is significantly better than average. Closest monitor was 6.8 miles away from the city center.
Ozone [ppb] level in 2012 was 27.1. This is about average. Closest monitor was 8.8 miles away from the city center.
Particulate Matter (PM10) [µg/m3] level in 2012 was 18.8. This is about average. Closest monitor was 4.9 miles away from the city center.
Particulate Matter (PM2.5) [µg/m3] level in 2012 was 6.50. This is significantly better than average. Closest monitor was 9.0 miles away from the city center.
Drinking water stations with addresses in Westfield and their reported violations in the past:CAMPERS PARADISE (Population served: 80, Groundwater):
Past monitoring violations:
- One routine major monitoring violation
|This town:||2.4 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
Likely homosexual households (counted as self-reported same-sex unmarried-partner households)
- Lesbian couples: 0.5% of all households
- Gay men: 0.9% of all households
Residents with income below the poverty level in 2009:
Residents with income below 50% of the poverty level in 2009:
30 people in nursing homes in 2000
Westfield compared to Maine state average:
- Median house value significantly below state average.
- Unemployed percentage significantly below state average.
- Black race population percentage below state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Median age above state average.
- Renting percentage below state average.
- Length of stay since moving in significantly above state average.
- Number of rooms per house significantly below state average.
- House age significantly below state average.
- Institutionalized population percentage significantly above state average.
- Percentage of population with a bachelor's degree or higher below state average.
Educational Attainment (%) in 2000
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2000
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Fuel oil, kerosene, etc. (87%)
- Wood (12%)
Presidential Elections Results
Graphs represent county-level data. Detailed 2008 Election Results
Religion statistics for Westfield town (based on Aroostook County data)
Food Environment Statistics:
|Aroostook County:||4.03 / 10,000 pop.|
|Maine:||2.80 / 10,000 pop.|
|This county:||0.14 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||0.14 / 10,000 pop.|
|Aroostook County:||2.22 / 10,000 pop.|
|Maine:||2.20 / 10,000 pop.|
|Aroostook County:||7.78 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||5.75 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||9.17 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||11.02 / 10,000 pop.|
3.21% of this county's 2011 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2010 ($33,766 average adjusted gross income)
0.08% of residents moved from foreign countries ($1,181 average AGI)
Aroostook County: 0.08% Maine average: 0.04%
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2010 and 2011:
|from Penobscot County, ME||0.46% ($28,764 average AGI)|
|from Cumberland County, ME||0.20% ($23,132)|
|from Hartford County, CT||0.09% ($34,920)|
3.74% of this county's 2010 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2011 ($34,623 average adjusted gross income)
0.11% of residents moved to foreign countries ($830 average AGI)
Aroostook County: 0.11% Maine average: 0.05%
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2010 and 2011:
Strongest AM radio stations in Westfield:
- WEGP (1390 AM; 5 kW; PRESQUE ISLE, ME; Owner: DECELLES/SMITH MEDIA, INC.)
- WREM (710 AM; daytime; 5 kW; MONTICELLO, ME; Owner: ALLAN H WEINER)
- WFST (600 AM; 5 kW; CARIBOU, ME; Owner: NORTHERN BROADCAST MINISTRIES, INC.)
- WRKO (680 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: ENTERCOM BOSTON LICENSE, LLC)
- WCHP (760 AM; 35 kW; CHAMPLAIN, NY; Owner: CHAMPLAIN RADIO, INC.)
- WEEI (850 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: ENTERCOM BOSTON LICENSE, LLC)
- WNNZ (640 AM; 50 kW; WESTFIELD, MA; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WZON (620 AM; 5 kW; BANGOR, ME; Owner: THE ZONE CORPORATION)
- WCRN (830 AM; 50 kW; WORCESTER, MA; Owner: CARTER BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WBZ (1030 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: INFINITY BROADCASTING OPERATIONS, INC.)
- WGY (810 AM; 50 kW; SCHENECTADY, NY; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WSKW (1160 AM; 10 kW; SKOWHEGAN, ME; Owner: MOUNTAIN WIRELESS, INCORPORATED)
- WALE (990 AM; 50 kW; GREENVILLE, RI; Owner: NORTH AMERICAN BROADCASTING CO., INC.)
Strongest FM radio stations in Westfield:
- WQHR (96.1 FM; PRESQUE ISLE, ME; Owner: CITADEL BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WOZI (101.9 FM; PRESQUE ISLE, ME; Owner: CITADEL BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WMEM (106.1 FM; PRESQUE ISLE, ME; Owner: MAINE PUBLIC BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- W274AF (102.7 FM; PRESQUE ISLE, ME; Owner: BANGOR BAPTIST CHURCH)
- WBPW (96.9 FM; PRESQUE ISLE, ME; Owner: CITADEL BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WCXU (97.7 FM; CARIBOU, ME; Owner: THE CANXUS BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WHOU-FM (100.1 FM; HOULTON, ME; Owner: COUNTY COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
TV broadcast stations around Westfield:
- WAGM-TV (Channel 8; PRESQUE ISLE, ME; Owner: NEPSK, INC.)
- WMEM-TV (Channel 10; PRESQUE ISLE, ME; Owner: MAINE PUBLIC BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
Westfield fatal accident list:
Jul 19, 2011 00:15 AM, Us-1, Lat: 46.53135, Lon: -67.94297, Vehicles: 1, Persons: 1, Fatalities: 1, Drunken persons involved: 1
Jul 4, 2000 11:05 PM, Us-1, Vehicles: 1, Persons: 3, Fatalities: 1
Jan 9, 1994 02:15 PM, 1, Vehicles: 2, Persons: 2, Fatalities: 1
Sep 10, 1992 08:00 AM, 1, Vehicles: 2, Persons: 4, Fatalities: 2
- National Bridge Inventory (NBI) Statistics
- 1Number of bridges
- 1m3ftTotal length
- $135,000Total costs
- 378Total average daily traffic
- 30Total average daily truck traffic
- 567Total future (year 2031) average daily traffic