We are giving away $1200 in prizes - enter simply by sending us your own city pictures!
|Median resident age:||43.5 years|
|Vermont median age:||45.8 years|
Zip codes: 05851.
Estimated per capita income in 2016: $23,559 (it was $15,440 in 2000)
Wheelock town income, earnings, and wages data
Estimated median house or condo value in 2016: $161,159 (it was $82,500 in 2000)
Mean prices in 2016: All housing units: $211,832; Detached houses: $227,566; Townhouses or other attached units: $254,945; In 2-unit structures: $223,496; In 3-to-4-unit structures: $214,295; In 5-or-more-unit structures: $159,740; Mobile homes: $87,573
Races in Wheelock, VT (2010)
- 77895.9%White alone
- 121.5%Two or more races
- 101.2%Other race alone
- 50.6%American Indian alone
- 20.2%Asian alone
|Moving to NEK...we already have jobs :) Where should we live? (17 replies)|
|Thoughts on Newark, VT? (3 replies)|
|I'm going organic in Burlington area - any advice? (37 replies)|
|question about Newark elementary in NEK (11 replies)|
Latest news from Wheelock, VT collected exclusively by city-data.com from local newspapers, TV, and radio stations
Ancestries: French (22.1%), English (21.6%), Irish (18.7%), German (9.2%), Scottish (7.4%), French Canadian (4.0%).
Current Local Time: EST time zone
Elevation: 818 feet
Land area: 39.6 square miles.
Population density: 20 people per square mile(very low).
For population 25 years and over in Wheelock:
- High school or higher: 82.6%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 20.8%
- Graduate or professional degree: 7.3%
- Unemployed: 8.1%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 20.9 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Wheelock town:
- Never married: 15.5%
- Now married: 70.1%
- Separated: 0.4%
- Widowed: 5.0%
- Divorced: 9.0%
18 residents are foreign born (1.6% North America, 1.3% Europe).
According to our research of Vermont and other state lists there were 2 registered sex offenders living in Wheelock, Vermont as of February 20, 2019.
The ratio of number of residents in Wheelock to the number of sex offenders is 406 to 1.
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units in 2000:
|Wheelock town:||1.5% ($1,226)|
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Portland, ME (110.6 miles , pop. 64,249).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: Boston, MA (163.6 miles , pop. 589,141).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: Bronx, NY (272.6 miles , pop. 1,332,650).
Nearest cities: Sheffield, VT (2.2 miles ), Lyndon, VT (2.3 miles ), Lyndonville, VT (2.4 miles ), Stannard, VT (2.4 miles) , Sutton, VT (2.7 miles ), Greensboro Bend, VT (2.8 miles ), West Burke, VT (2.8 miles ), Burke, VT (2.9 miles ).
Latitude: 44.57 N, Longitude: 72.11 W
Area code commonly used in this area: 802
Unemployment by year (%)
- Educational services (12%)
- Construction (11%)
- Metal and metal products (8%)
- Machinery (8%)
- Professional, scientific, and technical services (7%)
- Food and beverage stores (6%)
- Agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting (6%)
- Educational services (20%)
- Health care (20%)
- Accommodation and food services (9%)
- Arts, entertainment, and recreation (5%)
- Public administration (5%)
- Food and beverage stores (4%)
- Department and other general merchandise stores (4%)
- Metal workers and plastic workers (10%)
- Other production occupations including supervisors (8%)
- Other sales and related workers including supervisors (6%)
- Vehicle and mobile equipment mechanics, installers, and repairers (6%)
- Material recording, scheduling, dispatching, and distributing workers (4%)
- Electrical equipment mechanics and other installation, maintenance, and repair occupations including supervisors (4%)
- Building and grounds cleaning and maintenance occupations (4%)
- Preschool, kindergarten, elementary and middle school teachers (14%)
- Retail sales workers except cashiers (8%)
- Secretaries and administrative assistants (8%)
- Building and grounds cleaning and maintenance occupations (6%)
- Other production occupations including supervisors (6%)
- Nursing, psychiatric, and home health aides (4%)
- Waiters and waitresses (4%)
Average climate in Wheelock, Vermont
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Earthquake activity:Wheelock-area historical earthquake activity is slightly below Vermont state average. It is 91% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 4/20/2002 at 10:50:47, a magnitude 5.2 (5.2 MB, 4.2 MS, 5.2 MW, 5.0 MW, Depth: 6.8 mi, Class: Moderate, Intensity: VI - VII) earthquake occurred 79.7 miles away from the city center
On 10/7/1983 at 10:18:46, a magnitude 5.3 (5.1 MB, 5.3 LG, 5.1 ML) earthquake occurred 118.7 miles away from Wheelock center
On 1/19/1982 at 00:14:42, a magnitude 4.7 (4.5 MB, 4.7 MD, 4.5 LG, Class: Light, Intensity: IV - V) earthquake occurred 78.1 miles away from the city center
On 4/20/2002 at 11:04:42, a magnitude 4.1 (4.1 LG, 3.7 ML, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 78.3 miles away from the city center
On 6/16/1995 at 12:13:11, a magnitude 3.8 (3.8 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi, Class: Light, Intensity: II - III) earthquake occurred 21.7 miles away from Wheelock center
On 8/21/1996 at 07:54:14, a magnitude 3.8 (3.8 LG, 3.6 LG, Depth: 6.2 mi) earthquake occurred 45.8 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: regional Lg-wave magnitude (LG), body-wave magnitude (MB), duration magnitude (MD), local magnitude (ML), surface-wave magnitude (MS), moment magnitude (MW)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Caledonia County (22) is a lot greater than the US average (13).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 21
Emergencies Declared: 1
Causes of natural disasters: Floods: 18, Storms: 15, Heavy Rains: 2, Tropical Storms: 2, Winds: 2, Hurricane: 1, Landslide: 1, Tornado: 1, Winter Storm: 1 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Hospitals and medical centers near Wheelock:
- PINES REHAB AND HEALTH CTR (Nursing Home, about 7 miles away; LYNDONVILLE, VT)
- UNION HOUSE NURSING HOME (Nursing Home, about 9 miles away; GLOVER, VT)
- CALEDONIA HOME HEALTH CARE (Home Health Center, about 10 miles away; SAINT JOHNSBURY, VT)
- FMC OF ST. JOHNSBURY DIALYSIS (Dialysis Facility, about 10 miles away; SAINT JOHNSBURY, VT)
- ST JOHNSBURY HEALTH AND REHAB (Nursing Home, about 10 miles away; SAINT JOHNSBURY, VT)
- NORTHEASTERN VERMONT REGIONAL HOSPITAL Critical Access Hospitals (about 10 miles away; SAINT JOHNSBURY, VT)
- MAPLE LANE NURSING HOME (Nursing Home, about 14 miles away; BARTON, VT)
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Wheelock:
- Norwich University (about 41 miles; Northfield, VT; Full-time enrollment: 4,221)
- Saint Michael's College (about 53 miles; Colchester, VT; FT enrollment: 2,336)
- Community College of Vermont (about 54 miles; Winooski, VT; FT enrollment: 3,394)
- University of Vermont (about 55 miles; Burlington, VT; FT enrollment: 11,566)
- Champlain College (about 55 miles; Burlington, VT; FT enrollment: 2,623)
- Plymouth State University (about 60 miles; Plymouth, NH; FT enrollment: 4,838)
- Dartmouth College (about 61 miles; Hanover, NH; FT enrollment: 6,030)
Church in Wheelock: South Wheelock Church (A). Display/hide its location on the map
Cemeteries: Drowns Cemetery (1), Shattuck-Ward Cemetery (2), Ramsey Cemetery (3), South Wheelock Cemetery (4), Horne Cemetery (5). Display/hide their locations on the map
Lakes and reservoirs: Flagg Pond (A), Chandler Pond (B). Display/hide their locations on the map
Streams, rivers, and creeks: Page Brook (A), Morrison Brook (B), Mathewson Brook (C), Webber Brook (D). Display/hide their locations on the map
|This town:||2.4 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
Likely homosexual households (counted as self-reported same-sex unmarried-partner households)
- Lesbian couples: 0.3% of all households
- Gay men: 1.6% of all households
Educational Attainment (%) in 2000
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2000
Presidential Elections Results
Graphs represent county-level data. Detailed 2008 Election Results
Religion statistics for Wheelock town (based on Caledonia County data)
Food Environment Statistics:
|Caledonia County:||4.91 / 10,000 pop.|
|Vermont:||3.84 / 10,000 pop.|
|Caledonia County:||2.29 / 10,000 pop.|
|Vermont:||1.95 / 10,000 pop.|
|Caledonia County:||7.53 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||6.40 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||10.14 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||11.52 / 10,000 pop.|
4.82% of this county's 2011 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2010 ($38,711 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved from foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2010 and 2011:
|from Orleans County, VT||0.56% ($30,029 average AGI)|
|from Washington County, VT||0.44% ($37,611)|
|from Grafton County, NH||0.31% ($41,868)|
5.63% of this county's 2010 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2011 ($30,803 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved to foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2010 and 2011:
Strongest AM radio stations in Wheelock:
- WCHP (760 AM; 35 kW; CHAMPLAIN, NY; Owner: CHAMPLAIN RADIO, INC.)
- WDEV (550 AM; 5 kW; WATERBURY, VT; Owner: RADIO VERMONT, INC.)
- WSTJ (1340 AM; 1 kW; ST. JOHNSBURY, VT; Owner: VERMONT BROADCAST ASSOCIATES, INC.)
- WTWN (1100 AM; daytime; 5 kW; WELLS RIVER, VT; Owner: PUFFER BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WICY (1490 AM; 50 kW; MALONE, NY; Owner: CARTIER COMMUNICATIONS INC.)
- WRKO (680 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: ENTERCOM BOSTON LICENSE, LLC)
- WNNZ (640 AM; 50 kW; WESTFIELD, MA; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WVMT (620 AM; 5 kW; BURLINGTON, VT; Owner: SISON BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WGY (810 AM; 50 kW; SCHENECTADY, NY; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WCRN (830 AM; 50 kW; WORCESTER, MA; Owner: CARTER BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WEEI (850 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: ENTERCOM BOSTON LICENSE, LLC)
- WTME (780 AM; 10 kW; RUMFORD, ME; Owner: MOUNTAIN VALLEY BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WBZ (1030 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: INFINITY BROADCASTING OPERATIONS, INC.)
Strongest FM radio stations in Wheelock:
- WGMT (97.7 FM; LYNDON, VT; Owner: VERMONT BROADCAST ASSOCIATES, INC.)
- WDOT (95.7 FM; DANVILLE, VT; Owner: MONTPELIER BROADCASTING INC)
- WCKJ (90.5 FM; ST. JOHNSBURY, VT; Owner: CHRISTIAN MINISTRIES, INC.)
- WPKQ (103.7 FM; NORTH CONWAY, NH; Owner: CITADEL BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WLKC (103.3 FM; WATERBURY, VT; Owner: RADIO BROADCASTING SERVICES, INC.)
- WHOM (94.9 FM; MT. WASHINGTON, NH; Owner: CITADEL BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WKXH (105.5 FM; ST. JOHNSBURY, VT; Owner: VERMONT BROADCAST ASSOCIATES, INC.)
- WVPS (107.9 FM; BURLINGTON, VT; Owner: VERMONT PUBLIC RADIO)
- WEZF (92.9 FM; BURLINGTON, VT; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WCVT (101.7 FM; STOWE, VT; Owner: RADIO VERMONT CLASSICS, L.L.C.)
- WMTK (106.3 FM; LITTLETON, NH; Owner: VERMONT BROADCAST ASSOCIATES, INC.)
- WNCS (104.7 FM; MONTPELIER, VT; Owner: MONTPELIER BROADCASTING, INC.)
- W243AE (96.5 FM; ORLEANS, VT; Owner: CHRISTIAN MINISTRIES, INC.)
- WXXS (102.3 FM; LANCASTER, NH; Owner: BARRY P. LUNDERVILLE)
- WDEV-FM (96.1 FM; WARREN, VT; Owner: RADIO VERMONT, INC.)
- WVFM (105.7 FM; CAMPTON, NH; Owner: DEVON BROADCASTING COMPANY, INC.)
- WLTN-FM (96.7 FM; LISBON, NH; Owner: PROFILE BROADCASTING CO., INC.)
- WMOO (92.1 FM; DERBY CENTER, VT; Owner: NORTHSTAR MEDIA, INC.)
- WGLY-FM (91.5 FM; BOLTON, VT; Owner: CHRISTIAN MINISTRIES, INC.)
- WWLR (91.5 FM; LYNDONVILLE, VT; Owner: BOARD OF TRUSTEES, VT. STATE COLLEGE)
TV broadcast stations around Wheelock:
- WLED-TV (Channel 49; LITTLETON, NH; Owner: UNIVERSITY OF NEW HAMPSHIRE)
- WVTB (Channel 20; ST. JOHNSBURY, VT; Owner: VERMONT ETV, INC.)
- W36CP (Channel 36; NEWPORT, VT; Owner: NYN, LLC)
Wheelock fatal accident list:
- National Bridge Inventory (NBI) Statistics
- 11Number of bridges
- 11m36ftTotal length
- $529,000Total costs
- 7,015Total average daily traffic
- 693Total average daily truck traffic
- 10,670Total future (year 2018) average daily traffic
New bridges - Historical Statistics
FCC Registered Amateur Radio Licenses:3
- Call Sign: KA1LNJ, Licensee ID: L00511353, Grant Date: 02/10/2012, Expiration Date: 05/04/2022, Registrant: Joel E Dumont, 264 Aldrich Lane, Wheelock, VT 05851-9676
- Call Sign: N1KAE, Licensee ID: L00746969, Grant Date: 09/25/2003, Expiration Date: 09/07/2013, Cancellation Date: 09/15/2015, Certifier: Leigh P Hurley, Registrant: Leigh P Hurley, 324 Minister Hill Road, Wheelock, VT 05851
- Call Sign: WA1QQQ, Licensee ID: L01650493, Grant Date: 07/16/2011, Expiration Date: 07/16/2021, Registrant: Charles Dare Jr, 647 Stannard Mtn Rd, Wheelock, VT 05851-4468
2006 National Fire Incident Reporting System Incidents:
- Fire: 1
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Fuel oil, kerosene, etc. (56%)
- Wood (21%)
- Bottled, tank, or LP gas (18%)
- Electricity (2%)
- Other fuel (2%)
- Coal or coke (1%)
Wheelock compared to Vermont state average:
- Black race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage below state average.
- Renting percentage significantly below state average.
- Length of stay since moving in significantly above state average.
- Number of rooms per house significantly below state average.
- House age significantly below state average.
- Institutionalized population percentage above state average.
- Number of college students significantly below state average.