White City, Kansas
White City: Beautiful Church in Downtown White City
White City: Katy Park in White City
White City: Sign as you come into White City
White City: old Parker's gas station
Submit your own pictures of this city and show them to the World
|Median resident age:||42.0 years|
|Kansas median age:||36.5 years|
Zip codes: 66872.
Estimated per capita income in 2016: $24,465 (it was $14,603 in 2000)
White City city income, earnings, and wages data
Estimated median house or condo value in 2016: $87,497 (it was $37,900 in 2000)
Mean prices in 2016: All housing units: $101,095; Detached houses: $103,178; Mobile homes: $51,501
Median gross rent in 2016: $718.
Races in White City, KS (2010)
- 58494.5%White alone
- 71.1%American Indian alone
- 71.1%Two or more races
- 50.8%Black alone
- 20.3%Asian alone
|Junction City or Manhattan?? (56 replies)|
|Where to find classic small town / rural Kansas (10 replies)|
|What do you dislike about Kansas? (123 replies)|
|Just want to say... (13 replies)|
|Kansas eviction law (4 replies)|
|Smaller Surrounding Towns (0 replies)|
Latest news from White City, KS collected exclusively by city-data.com from local newspapers, TV, and radio stations
Ancestries: German (36.0%), American (15.3%), Scottish (7.4%), English (6.2%), Irish (6.2%), Swedish (2.1%).
Current Local Time: CST time zone
Elevation: 1470 feet
Land area: 1.24 square miles.
Population density: 473 people per square mile(low).
For population 25 years and over in White City:
- High school or higher: 95.1%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 6.0%
- Graduate or professional degree: 1.4%
- Unemployed: 3.9%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 29.8 minutes
For population 15 years and over in White City city:
- Never married: 25.6%
- Now married: 50.6%
- Separated: 0.5%
- Widowed: 7.1%
- Divorced: 16.2%
14 residents are foreign born (1.3% Europe, 1.1% Latin America, 0.4% Asia).
According to our research of Kansas and other state lists there were 2 registered sex offenders living in White City, Kansas as of January 19, 2018.
The ratio of number of residents in White City to the number of sex offenders is 304 to 1.
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units with mortgages in 2016: $1,413 (1.4%)
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units with no mortgage in 2016: $1,452 (2.0%)
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Topeka, KS (58.8 miles , pop. 122,377).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: Wichita, KS (83.2 miles , pop. 344,284).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: Dallas, TX (414.7 miles , pop. 1,188,580).
Nearest cities: Parkerville, KS (2.1 miles) , Latimer, KS (2.7 miles) , Dwight, KS (2.9 miles ), Wilsey, KS (3.4 miles) , Woodbine, KS (3.5 miles ), Herington, KS (3.8 miles ), Alta Vista, KS (3.8 miles ), Council Grove, KS (4.0 miles ).
Single-family new house construction building permits:
- 1998: 1 building, cost: $41,200
- 1999: 1 building, cost: $101,700
- 2004: 2 buildings, average cost: $122,500
- 2005: 2 buildings, average cost: $147,500
- 2006: 7 buildings, average cost: $95,000
- 2007: 12 buildings, average cost: $100,800
Number of permits per 10,000 residents
Average cost (in $1000s)
Latitude: 38.80 N, Longitude: 96.74 W
Area code: 785
Unemployment by year (%)
- Manufacturing (27%)
- Agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting (14%)
- Public administration (10%)
- Information (7%)
- Construction (6%)
- Retail trade (5%)
- Transportation and warehousing (5%)
- Health care and social assistance (29%)
- Public administration (21%)
- Finance and insurance (10%)
- Educational services (10%)
- Retail trade (8%)
- Accommodation and food services (7%)
- Other services, except public administration (5%)
- Production occupations (22%)
- Transportation occupations (11%)
- Management occupations (9%)
- Law enforcement workers including supervisors (9%)
- Installation, maintenance, and repair occupations (9%)
- Building and grounds cleaning and maintenance occupations (8%)
- Farming, fishing, and forestry occupations (6%)
- Office and administrative support occupations (26%)
- Personal care and service occupations (11%)
- Education, training, and library occupations (10%)
- Management occupations (7%)
- Food preparation and serving related occupations (7%)
- Business and financial operations occupations (6%)
- Healthcare support occupations (6%)
Average climate in White City, Kansas
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
White City-area historical tornado activity is near Kansas state average. It is 80% greater than the overall U.S. average.
On 3/13/1990, a category F5 (max. wind speeds 261-318 mph) tornado 35.0 miles away from the White City city center killed one person and caused between $5,000,000 and $50,000,000 in damages.
On 6/11/2008, a category F4 (max. wind speeds 207-260 mph) tornado 23.2 miles away from the city center caused $66 million in damages.
Earthquake activity:White City-area historical earthquake activity is slightly below Kansas state average. It is 68% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 9/15/1995 at 00:31:33, a magnitude 4.1 (3.8 LG, 4.1 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi, Class: Light, Intensity: IV - V) earthquake occurred 170.6 miles away from the city center
On 2/15/1974 at 13:33:49, a magnitude 4.6 (4.5 MB, 4.6 LG) earthquake occurred 268.6 miles away from White City center
On 9/6/1997 at 23:38:00, a magnitude 4.5 (4.5 LG, 4.2 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 286.5 miles away from the city center
On 5/4/2001 at 06:42:12, a magnitude 4.7 (4.2 MB, 4.7 LG, 4.5 LG, Depth: 6.2 mi) earthquake occurred 352.9 miles away from the city center
On 7/16/2004 at 12:17:30, a magnitude 3.5 (3.5 MW, 3.3 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi, Class: Light, Intensity: II - III) earthquake occurred 142.0 miles away from White City center
On 1/21/1982 at 00:33:54, a magnitude 4.7 (4.5 MB, 4.7 LG, 4.5 LG) earthquake occurred 354.1 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: regional Lg-wave magnitude (LG), body-wave magnitude (MB), moment magnitude (MW)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Morris County (15) is near the US average (13).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 13
Emergencies Declared: 2
Causes of natural disasters: Floods: 10, Storms: 9, Tornadoes: 7, Winter Storms: 5, Winds: 3, Heavy Rain: 1, Hurricane: 1, Snow: 1, Snowstorm: 1 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Birthplace of: Jack Morris (American football) - Former professional football player.
Hospitals and medical centers near White City:
- HERINGTON MUNICIPAL HOSPITAL Critical Access Hospitals (about 14 miles away; HERINGTON, KS)
- MEDICALODGES HERINGTON (Nursing Home, about 14 miles away; HERINGTON, KS)
- COUNCIL GROVE HEALTHCARE CENTER (Nursing Home, about 16 miles away; COUNCIL GROVE, KS)
- MEADOWBROOK MANOR OF COUNCIL GROVE (Nursing Home, about 16 miles away; COUNCIL GROVE, KS)
- MORRIS COUNTY HOSPITAL Critical Access Hospitals (about 16 miles away; COUNCIL GROVE, KS)
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to White City:
- Kansas State University (about 29 miles; Manhattan, KS; Full-time enrollment: 20,703)
- Emporia State University (about 41 miles; Emporia, KS; FT enrollment: 4,687)
- Washburn University (about 59 miles; Topeka, KS; FT enrollment: 5,092)
- Butler Community College (about 69 miles; El Dorado, KS; FT enrollment: 6,676)
- Wichita Area Technical College (about 77 miles; Wichita, KS; FT enrollment: 2,220)
- Wichita State University (about 81 miles; Wichita, KS; FT enrollment: 11,743)
- University of Kansas (about 82 miles; Lawrence, KS; FT enrollment: 22,788)
Public high school in White City:
- WHITE CITY HIGH (Students: 82, Location: 414 E GOODNOW, Grades: 9-12)
Public elementary/middle school in White City:
- WHITE CITY ELEM (Students: 147, Location: 414 GOODNOW, Grades: PK-8)
Notable locations in White City: White City Wastewater Treatment Facility (A), White City Volunteer Fire Department (B), White City Public Library (C). Display/hide their locations on the map
Churches in White City include: White City United Methodist Church (A), White City Christian Church (B). Display/hide their locations on the map
(18.8% for White Non-Hispanic residents)
|This city:||2.6 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
Likely homosexual households (counted as self-reported same-sex unmarried-partner households)
- Lesbian couples: 0.8% of all households
- Gay men: 0.4% of all households
Banks with branches in White City (2011 data):
- Central National Bank: White City Branch at 101 East Mackenzie, branch established on 1986/01/09. Info updated 2006/11/03: Bank assets: $889.7 mil, Deposits: $775.7 mil, headquarters in Junction City, KS, positive income, Agricultural Specialization, 35 total offices, Holding Company: Central Of Kansas, Inc.
Educational Attainment (%) in 2016
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2016
Presidential Elections Results
Graphs represent county-level data. Detailed 2008 Election Results
Religion statistics for White City city (based on Morris County data)
Food Environment Statistics:
|Morris County:||3.36 / 10,000 pop.|
|Kansas:||1.96 / 10,000 pop.|
|Morris County:||3.36 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||3.84 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||11.77 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||7.33 / 10,000 pop.|
Health and Nutrition:
More about Health and Nutrition of White City, KS Residents
|Local government employment and payroll (March 2012)|
|Function||Full-time employees||Monthly full-time payroll||Average yearly full-time wage||Part-time employees||Monthly part-time payroll|
|Totals for Government||1||$2,750||$33,000||4||$4,250|
White City government finances - Expenditure in 2002 (per resident):
- Current Operations - Financial Administration: $81,000 ($137.76)
Sewerage: $56,000 ($95.24)
Water Utilities: $30,000 ($51.02)
Regular Highways: $18,000 ($30.61)
Libraries: $8,000 ($13.61)
General - Other: $5,000 ($8.50)
Fire Protection: $3,000 ($5.10)
Police Protection: $1,000 ($1.70)
- Other Capital Outlay - Fire Protection: $6,000 ($10.20)
General - Other: $4,000 ($6.80)
- Total Salaries & Wages: $51,000 ($86.73)
White City government finances - Revenue in 2002 (per resident):
- Charges - Sewerage: $77,000 ($130.95)
- Local Intergovernmental - All Other: $3,000 ($5.10)
- Miscellaneous - General Revenue, NEC: $4,000 ($6.80)
Interest Earnings: $1,000 ($1.70)
- Revenue - Water Utilities: $43,000 ($73.13)
- State Intergovernmental - All Other: $27,000 ($45.92)
Highways: $16,000 ($27.21)
General Support: $7,000 ($11.90)
- Tax - Property: $57,000 ($96.94)
Total General Sales: $23,000 ($39.12)
Public Utilities: $16,000 ($27.21)
NEC: $3,000 ($5.10)
White City government finances - Cash and Securities in 2002 (per resident):
- Other Funds - Cash & Deposits: $154,000 ($261.90)
6.53% of this county's 2011 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2010 ($37,281 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved from foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2010 and 2011:
|from Geary County, KS||0.80% ($37,722 average AGI)|
|from Riley County, KS||0.67% ($29,400)|
|from Lyon County, KS||0.49% ($44,000)|
7.31% of this county's 2010 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2011 ($30,976 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved to foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2010 and 2011:
Strongest AM radio stations in White City:
- WHB (810 AM; 50 kW; KANSAS CITY, MO; Owner: UNION BROADCASTING, INC.)
- KJCK (1420 AM; 1 kW; JUNCTION CITY, KS; Owner: PLATINUM BROADCASTING CO., INC.)
- WIBW (580 AM; 5 kW; TOPEKA, KS; Owner: MCC RADIO, LLC)
- KSAL (1150 AM; 5 kW; SALINA, KS; Owner: EBC INC.)
- KFRM (550 AM; 5 kW; SALINA, KS; Owner: TAYLOR COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- KOIL (1020 AM; 50 kW; PLATTSMOUTH, NE; Owner: WAITT RADIO, INC.)
- KRMG (740 AM; 50 kW; TULSA, OK; Owner: CXR HOLDINGS, INC.)
- KFAB (1110 AM; 50 kW; OMAHA, NE; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- KRVN (880 AM; 50 kW; LEXINGTON, NE; Owner: NEBRASKA RURAL RADIO ASSOCIATION)
- KFTI (1070 AM; 10 kW; WICHITA, KS; Owner: JOURNAL BROADCAST CORPORATION)
- KKAR (1290 AM; 50 kW; OMAHA, NE; Owner: WAITT RADIO, INC.)
- KKHK (1250 AM; 25 kW; KANSAS CITY, KS)
- KFAQ (1170 AM; 50 kW; TULSA, OK; Owner: JOURNAL BROADCAST CORPORATION)
Strongest FM radio stations in White City:
- KBLS (102.5 FM; NORTH FORT RILEY, KS; Owner: EBC, INC.)
- KJCK-FM (97.5 FM; JUNCTION CITY, KS; Owner: PLATINUM BROADCASTING CO., INC.)
- KJRL (105.7 FM; HERINGTON, KS; Owner: GREAT PLAINS CHRISTIAN RADIO, INC)
- WIBW-FM (94.5 FM; TOPEKA, KS; Owner: MCC RADIO, LLC)
- KANV (91.3 FM; OLSBURG, KS; Owner: THE UNIVERSITY OF KANSAS)
- KMAJ-FM (107.7 FM; TOPEKA, KS; Owner: CUMULUS LICENSING CORP.)
- KTPK (106.9 FM; TOPEKA, KS; Owner: KANSAS CAPITAL BROADCASTING, INC.)
- KHCD (89.5 FM; SALINA, KS; Owner: HUTCHINSON COMMUNITY COLLEGE)
- KBMP (90.5 FM; ENTERPRISE, KS; Owner: AMERICAN FAMILY ASSOCIATION)
- KBUZ (90.3 FM; TOPEKA, KS; Owner: AMERICAN FAMILY ASSOCIATION, INC.)
- KSAJ-FM (98.5 FM; ABILENE, KS; Owner: EBC, INC.)
- KACZ (96.3 FM; RILEY, KS; Owner: MANHATTAN BROADCASTING CO., INC.)
TV broadcast stations around White City:
- K25DS (Channel 25; JUNCTION CITY, KS; Owner: TRINITY BROADCASTING NETWORK)
- K39BR (Channel 39; JUNCTION CITY, KS; Owner: NORTHEAST KANSAS B/CST.SERVICE,INC.)
- WIBW-TV (Channel 13; TOPEKA, KS; Owner: GRAY MIDAMERICA TV LICENSEE CORP.)
- KTKA-TV (Channel 49; TOPEKA, KS; Owner: NORTHEAST KANSAS BROADCAST SERVICE, INC.)
- KTLJ-CA (Channel 6; JUNCTION CITY, KS; Owner: MONTGOMERY COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
FCC Registered Amateur Radio Licenses:1
- Call Sign: KB0SZL, Grant Date: 06/08/1995, Expiration Date: 06/08/2005, Cancellation Date: 06/09/2007, Registrant: Gary D Morgan, White City, KS 66872
2006 National Fire Incident Reporting System Incidents:
- Fire: 21
|Most common first names in White City, KS among deceased individuals|
|Most common last names in White City, KS among deceased individuals|
|Last name||Count||Lived (average)|
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Utility gas (76%)
- Electricity (21%)
- No fuel used (1%)
- Wood (1%)
White City compared to Kansas state average:
- Median house value below state average.
- Unemployed percentage significantly below state average.
- Black race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Median age above state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage significantly below state average.
- Length of stay since moving in significantly below state average.
- Percentage of population with a bachelor's degree or higher significantly below state average.