|Median resident age:||44.5 years|
|New York median age:||40.7 years|
Zip codes: 12816.
White Creek town income, earnings, and wages data
Estimated median house or condo value in 2012: $149,769 (it was $84,400 in 2000)
- White alone - 3,230 (96.2%)
- Hispanic - 57 (1.7%)
- Two or more races - 29 (0.9%)
- Black alone - 17 (0.5%)
- Asian alone - 17 (0.5%)
- American Indian alone - 4 (0.1%)
- Other race alone - 2 (0.06%)
Latest news from White Creek, NY collected exclusively by city-data.com from local newspapers, TV, and radio stations
Ancestries: Irish (24.0%), English (18.8%), German (15.9%), United States (10.8%), French (7.7%), Italian (7.1%).
Current Local Time: EST time zone
Elevation: 640 feet
Land area: 47.9 square miles.
Population density: 70 people per square mile(very low).
For population 25 years and over in White Creek:
- High school or higher: 81.8%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 17.8%
- Graduate or professional degree: 6.4%
- Unemployed: 5.0%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 30.9 minutes
For population 15 years and over in White Creek town:
- Never married: 24.2%
- Now married: 55.3%
- Separated: 3.5%
- Widowed: 8.3%
- Divorced: 8.6%
96 residents are foreign born (1.6% Europe, 1.0% Latin America, 0.3% Asia).
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units in 2000:
|White Creek town:||2.3% ($1,952)|
|New York:||1.9% ($2,847)|
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Albany, NY (32.8 miles , pop. 95,658).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: Boston, MA (124.2 miles , pop. 589,141).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: Bronx, NY (152.1 miles , pop. 1,332,650).
Nearest cities: Cambridge, NY (1.5 miles ), Jackson, NY (2.5 miles ), Hoosick, NY (2.7 miles ), Hoosick Falls, NY (2.7 miles ), Shaftsbury, VT (2.8 miles ), North Bennington, VT (2.8 miles ), South Shaftsbury, VT (2.8 miles ), Greenwich, NY (3.1 miles ).
Latitude: 43.01 N, Longitude: 73.34 W
Area code commonly used in this area: 518
Unemployment by year (%)
Historical housing units
- Construction (14%)
- Agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting (14%)
- Public administration (7%)
- Health care (7%)
- Publishing, and motion picture and sound recording industries (5%)
- Motor vehicle and parts dealers (5%)
- Educational services (4%)
- Educational services (19%)
- Health care (13%)
- Accommodation and food services (12%)
- Machinery (6%)
- Social assistance (6%)
- Public administration (4%)
- Agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting (4%)
- Other production occupations including supervisors (8%)
- Driver/sales workers and truck drivers (6%)
- Farmers and farm managers (6%)
- Agricultural workers including supervisors (6%)
- Cooks and food preparation workers (4%)
- Electrical equipment mechanics and other installation, maintenance, and repair occupations including supervisors (4%)
- Other sales and related workers including supervisors (4%)
- Preschool, kindergarten, elementary and middle school teachers (9%)
- Waiters and waitresses (6%)
- Registered nurses (5%)
- Other teachers and instructors, education, training, and library occupations (5%)
- Other office and administrative support workers including supervisors (4%)
- Material recording, scheduling, dispatching, and distributing workers (4%)
- Nursing, psychiatric, and home health aides (4%)
Average climate in White Creek, New York
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
White Creek-area historical tornado activity is slightly above New York state average. It is 47% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 5/31/1998, a category F3 (max. wind speeds 158-206 mph) tornado 10.0 miles away from the White Creek town center injured 68 people and caused $71 million in damages.
On 6/24/1960, a category F3 tornado 20.5 miles away from the town center injured 9 people and caused between $5,000,000 and $50,000,000 in damages.
Earthquake activity:White Creek-area historical earthquake activity is near New York state average. It is 88% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 10/7/1983 at 10:18:46, a magnitude 5.3 (5.1 MB, 5.3 LG, 5.1 ML, Class: Moderate, Intensity: VI - VII) earthquake occurred 82.3 miles away from the city center
On 4/20/2002 at 10:50:47, a magnitude 5.2 (5.2 MB, 4.2 MS, 5.2 MW, 5.0 MW, Depth: 6.8 mi) earthquake occurred 103.9 miles away from White Creek center
On 1/19/1982 at 00:14:42, a magnitude 4.7 (4.5 MB, 4.7 MD, 4.5 LG, Class: Light, Intensity: IV - V) earthquake occurred 94.2 miles away from the city center
On 6/17/1991 at 08:53:16, a magnitude 4.1 (4.0 MB, 4.0 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 72.6 miles away from the city center
On 4/20/2000 at 08:46:55, a magnitude 4.0 (4.0 LG, 3.8 ML, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 79.5 miles away from White Creek center
On 4/20/2002 at 11:04:42, a magnitude 4.1 (4.1 LG, 3.7 ML, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 103.8 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: regional Lg-wave magnitude (LG), body-wave magnitude (MB), duration magnitude (MD), local magnitude (ML), surface-wave magnitude (MS), moment magnitude (MW)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Washington County (11) is near the US average (12).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 6
Emergencies Declared: 5
Causes of natural disasters: Floods: 3, Storms: 3, Winter Storms: 3, Blizzard: 1, Earthquake: 1, Hurricane: 1, Power Outage: 1, Other: 1 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Birthplace of: Paul Cornell (lawyer) - Lawyer, John W. Sprague - Army general during Civil War.
Medal of Honor Recipients
Medal of Honor Recipient born in White Creek: John W. Sprague.
Hospitals and medical centers near White Creek:
- MARY MCCLELLAN HOSPITAL (Hospital, about 3 miles away; CAMBRIDGE, NY)
- THE CENTER FOR NURSING AND REHAB AT HOOSICK FALLS (Nursing Home, about 7 miles away; HOOSICK FALLS, NY)
- PROSPECT NURSING HOME (Nursing Home, about 8 miles away; NORTH BENNINGTON, VT)
- THE ORCHARD NURSING AND REHABILITATION CENTRE (Nursing Home, about 12 miles away; GRANVILLE, NY)
- VNA AND HOSPICE OF SVHC (Home Health Center, about 12 miles away; BENNINGTON, VT)
- VERMONT VETERANS HOME (Nursing Home, about 12 miles away; BENNINGTON, VT)
- CENTERS FOR LIVING AND REHAB (Nursing Home, about 12 miles away; BENNINGTON, VT)
Airports located in White Creek:
- Meerwarth Airport (Runways: 1)
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to White Creek:
- Williams College (about 22 miles; Williamstown, MA; Full-time enrollment: 2,141)
- SUNY Empire State College (about 23 miles; Saratoga Springs, NY; FT enrollment: 9,473)
- Skidmore College (about 24 miles; Saratoga Springs, NY; FT enrollment: 2,753)
- Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute (about 26 miles; Troy, NY; FT enrollment: 6,940)
- The Sage Colleges (about 27 miles; Troy, NY; FT enrollment: 2,499)
- Hudson Valley Community College (about 28 miles; Troy, NY; FT enrollment: 9,346)
- Adirondack Community College (about 29 miles; Queensbury, NY; FT enrollment: 2,826)
Notable locations in White Creek: Elm Spring Farm (A), Happenchance Farm (B), Post Corners (C), Perrys Orchard (D), Cambridge Public Library (E). Display/hide their locations on the map
Churches in White Creek include: Saint Patrick's Church (A), Saint Lukes Church (B), Open Bible Baptist Church (C), First Baptist Church (D), Embury Methodist Church (E), Cambridge United Presbyterian Church (F). Display/hide their locations on the map
Cemeteries: Rosewood Cemetery (1), Quaker Cemetery (2). Display/hide their locations on the map
Streams, rivers, and creeks: Owl Kill (A), Pumpkin Hook Creek (B), Center White Creek (C), Cambridge Creek (D). Display/hide their locations on the map
Air pollution and air quality trends
(lower is better)
Air Quality Index (AQI) level in 2012 was 69.0. This is about average.
Sulfur Dioxide (SO2) [ppb] level in 2012 was 0.789. This is significantly better than average. Closest monitor was 14.6 miles away from the city center.
Ozone [ppb] level in 2012 was 29.6. This is about average. Closest monitor was 9.7 miles away from the city center.
Particulate Matter (PM10) [µg/m3] level in 2002 was 14.3. This is significantly better than average. Closest monitor was 12.1 miles away from the city center.
Particulate Matter (PM2.5) [µg/m3] level in 2012 was 6.70. This is better than average. Closest monitor was 9.7 miles away from the city center.
Drinking water stations with addresses in White Creek that have no violations reported:
- PEACE BE STILL MOTOR INN, LLC (Population served: 30, Primary Water Source Type: Groundwater)
|This town:||2.5 people|
|New York:||2.6 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
Likely homosexual households (counted as self-reported same-sex unmarried-partner households)
- Lesbian couples: 0.6% of all households
- Gay men: 0.1% of all households
Residents with income below the poverty level in 2009:
Residents with income below 50% of the poverty level in 2009:
7 people in group homes intended for adults in 2010
People in group quarters in White Creek in 2000:
- 35 people in other noninstitutional group quarters
- 25 people in agriculture workers' dormitories on farms
- 21 people in religious group quarters
- 6 people in homes for the mentally retarded
White Creek compared to New York state average:
- Median house value significantly below state average.
- Unemployed percentage below state average.
- Black race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage significantly below state average.
- Renting percentage below state average.
- Length of stay since moving in significantly above state average.
- Number of rooms per house significantly below state average.
- House age significantly below state average.
- Number of college students below state average.
Educational Attainment (%) in 2000
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2000
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Fuel oil, kerosene, etc. (68%)
- Wood (13%)
- Electricity (11%)
- Bottled, tank, or LP gas (6%)
- Coal or coke (1%)
- Other fuel (1%)
Presidential Elections Results
1996 Presidential Elections Results
2000 Presidential Elections Results
2004 Presidential Elections Results
2008 Presidential Elections Results
2012 Presidential Elections Results
Graphs represent county-level data. Detailed 2008 Election Results
Religion statistics for White Creek town (based on Washington County data)Percentage of population affiliated with a religious congregations: 38.97%
Breakdown of population affiliated with a religious congregations
|Name||Catholic Church||United Methodist Church||Presbyterian Church (USA)||American Baptist Churches in the USA||Episcopal Church|
|Name||Assemblies of God||The Wesleyan Church||Seventh-Day Adventist Church||Reformed Church in America||Other|
Tables represent county-level data.
Food Environment Statistics:
|Washington County:||1.92 / 10,000 pop.|
|New York:||4.13 / 10,000 pop.|
|Washington County:||4.32 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||1.68 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||7.51 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||8.82 / 10,000 pop.|
5.97% of this county's 2011 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2010 ($32,003 average adjusted gross income)
|New York average:||5.06%|
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved from foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2010 and 2011:
|from Warren County, NY||1.91% ($26,057 average AGI)|
|from Saratoga County, NY||1.42% ($33,385)|
|from Rutland County, VT||0.25% ($27,850)|
6.42% of this county's 2010 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2011 ($35,699 average adjusted gross income)
|New York average:||5.46%|
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved to foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2010 and 2011:
Strongest AM radio stations in White Creek:
- WGY (810 AM; 50 kW; SCHENECTADY, NY; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WPTR (1540 AM; 50 kW; ALBANY, NY; Owner: KIMTRON, INC.)
- WNNZ (640 AM; 50 kW; WESTFIELD, MA; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WABY (1160 AM; 5 kW; MECHANICVILLE, NY; Owner: ANASTOS MEDIA GROUP, INC.)
- WBTN (1370 AM; 1 kW; BENNINGTON, VT; Owner: SOUTHERN VERMONT COLLEGE)
- WCRN (830 AM; 50 kW; WORCESTER, MA; Owner: CARTER BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WOFX (980 AM; 5 kW; TROY, NY)
- WTIC (1080 AM; 50 kW; HARTFORD, CT; Owner: INFINITY RADIO OPERATIONS INC.)
- WROW (590 AM; 5 kW; ALBANY, NY; Owner: 6 JOHNSON ROAD LICENSES, INC.)
- WRKO (680 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: ENTERCOM BOSTON LICENSE, LLC)
- WVNE (760 AM; daytime; 25 kW; LEICESTER, MA; Owner: BLOUNT MASSCOM, INC.)
- WEEI (850 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: ENTERCOM BOSTON LICENSE, LLC)
- WALE (990 AM; 50 kW; GREENVILLE, RI; Owner: NORTH AMERICAN BROADCASTING CO., INC.)
Strongest FM radio stations in White Creek:
- WEQX (102.7 FM; MANCHESTER, VT; Owner: NORTHSHIRE COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- WJAN (95.1 FM; SUNDERLAND, VT; Owner: 6 JOHNSON ROAD LICENSES, INC.)
- WNGN (91.9 FM; ARGYLE, NY; Owner: NORTHEAST GOSPEL BROADCASTING INC)
- WZEC (97.5 FM; HOOSICK FALLS, NY; Owner: GREAT NORTHERN RADIO, LLC)
- WVAY (100.7 FM; WILMINGTON, VT; Owner: GREAT NORTHERN RADIO, L.L.C.)
- WAMC-FM (90.3 FM; ALBANY, NY; Owner: WAMC)
- WJJR (98.1 FM; RUTLAND, VT; Owner: 6 JOHNSON ROAD LICENSES, INC.)
- WZRT (97.1 FM; RUTLAND, VT; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WEBK (105.3 FM; KILLINGTON, VT; Owner: 6 JOHNSON ROAD LICENSES, INC.)
- WGLV (91.7 FM; WOODSTOCK, VT; Owner: CHRISTIAN MINISTRIES INC)
- WHDQ-FM1 (106.1 FM; RUTLAND, VT; Owner: GREAT NORTHERN RADIO, L.L.C.)
- WKBE (100.3 FM; WARRENSBURG, NY; Owner: 6 JOHNSON ROAD LICENSES, INC.)
- WCKM-FM (99.1 FM; LAKE GEORGE, NY; Owner: ENTERTRONICS, INC.)
- WNYQ (105.7 FM; QUEENSBURY, NY; Owner: VOX NEW YORK, L.L.C.)
- WVPR (89.5 FM; WINDSOR, VT; Owner: VERMONT PUBLIC RADIO)
- WQAR (101.3 FM; STILLWATER, NY; Owner: ANASTOS MEDIA GROUP, INC.)
- WLJH (90.9 FM; GLENS FALLS, NY; Owner: SOUND OF LIFE INC)
- WFFG-FM (107.1 FM; CORINTH, NY; Owner: VOX NEW YORK, L.L.C.)
- WHDQ (106.1 FM; CLAREMONT, NH; Owner: GREAT NORTHERN RADIO, L.L.C.)
- WBAR-FM (94.7 FM; LAKE LUZERNE, NY; Owner: CAPITAL MEDIA CORPORATION)
TV broadcast stations around White Creek:
- WNYA-CA (Channel 39; EASTON, ETC., NY; Owner: VENTURE TECHNOLOGIES GROUP, LLC)
- WNGN-LP (Channel 26; TROY, NY; Owner: BRIAN A. LARSON)
Total length: 36 meters (118ft)
Total costs: $32,049,000
Total average daily traffic: 18,835
Total average daily truck traffic: 1,612
Total future (year 1994) average daily traffic: 25,917
New bridges - Historical Statistics
- Before 1900: 1
- 1900-1909: 0
- 1910-1919: 0
- 1920-1929: 1
- 1930-1939: 3
- 1940-1949: 10
- 1950-1959: 1
- 1960-1969: 2
- 1970-1979: 0
- 1980-1989: 2
- 1990-1999: 1
FCC Registered Amateur Radio Licenses:1
- Call Sign: KD2VI, Licensee ID: L00313893
Grant Date: 04/26/2001, Expiration Date: 07/16/2011
Registrant: Frank E Heaney, 54 Rice Lane, White Creek, NY 12057