We are giving away $1200 in prizes - enter simply by sending us your own city pictures!
- OSM Map
- General Map
- Google Map
- MSN Map
- OSM Map
- General Map
- Google Map
- MSN Map
- OSM Map
- General Map
- Google Map
- MSN Map
- OSM Map
- General Map
- Google Map
- MSN Map
Please wait while loading the map...
|Median resident age:||37.9 years|
|Tennessee median age:||35.9 years|
Zip code: 37891
Estimated per capita income in 2016: $20,423 (it was $16,863 in 2000)
Whitesburg CCD income, earnings, and wages data
Estimated median house or condo value in 2016: $137,642 (it was $82,900 in 2000)
Mean prices in 2016: All housing units: $169,390; Detached houses: $168,553; Townhouses or other attached units: $809,870; In 2-unit structures: $108,074; In 3-to-4-unit structures: $130,441; In 5-or-more-unit structures: $149,929; Mobile homes: $68,784
Races in Whitesburg, TN (2000)
- 4,37497.4%White alone
- 561.2%Black alone
- 140.3%Two or more races
- 90.2%American Indian alone
- 50.1%Asian alone
Current Local Time: EST time zone
Elevation: 1234 feet
Land area: 45.7 square miles.
Population density: 105 people per square mile(very low).
For population 25 years and over in Whitesburg:
- High school or higher: 69.7%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 5.4%
- Graduate or professional degree: 1.7%
- Unemployed: 2.6%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 20.3 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Whitesburg CCD:
- Never married: 16.9%
- Now married: 65.7%
- Separated: 0.6%
- Widowed: 7.5%
- Divorced: 9.9%
According to our research of Tennessee and other state lists there were 3 registered sex offenders living in Whitesburg, Tennessee as of April 21, 2018.
The ratio of number of residents in Whitesburg to the number of sex offenders is 1,592 to 1.
The number of registered sex offenders compared to the number of residents in this city is a lot smaller than the state average.
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units in 2000:
|Whitesburg CCD:||0.5% ($417)|
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Johnson City, TN (43.5 miles , pop. 55,469).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: Fayette, KY (143.9 miles , pop. 260,512).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: Chicago, IL (456.9 miles , pop. 2,896,016).
Nearest cities: Bulls Gap, TN (1.9 miles ), Mohawk, TN (2.4 miles ), Morristown, TN (3.0 miles ), Mooresburg, TN (3.0 miles ), Mosheim, TN (3.2 miles ), Bean Station, TN (3.4 miles ), Centerview, TN (3.4 miles ), White Pine, TN (3.6 miles ).
Latitude: 36.25 N, Longitude: 83.15 W
Area code commonly used in this area: 423
Unemployment by year (%)
- Transportation equipment (14%)
- Furniture and related product manufacturing (12%)
- Construction (8%)
- Metal and metal products (6%)
- Repair and maintenance (5%)
- Truck transportation (4%)
- Agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting (4%)
- Educational services (10%)
- Furniture and related product manufacturing (8%)
- Health care (8%)
- Transportation equipment (8%)
- Personal and laundry services (7%)
- Accommodation and food services (6%)
- Food and beverage stores (5%)
- Other production occupations including supervisors (14%)
- Metal workers and plastic workers (12%)
- Electrical equipment mechanics and other installation, maintenance, and repair occupations including supervisors (6%)
- Driver/sales workers and truck drivers (6%)
- Assemblers and fabricators (5%)
- Woodworkers (4%)
- Vehicle and mobile equipment mechanics, installers, and repairers (4%)
- Material recording, scheduling, dispatching, and distributing workers (11%)
- Other production occupations including supervisors (7%)
- Other office and administrative support workers including supervisors (7%)
- Assemblers and fabricators (6%)
- Personal appearance workers (5%)
- Secretaries and administrative assistants (5%)
- Preschool, kindergarten, elementary and middle school teachers (5%)
Average climate in Whitesburg, Tennessee
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Whitesburg-area historical tornado activity is significantly below Tennessee state average. It is 64% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 5/9/1988, a category F3 (max. wind speeds 158-206 mph) tornado 37.2 miles away from the Whitesburg place center killed one person and injured 15 people and caused between $5,000,000 and $50,000,000 in damages.
On 7/6/1980, a category F2 (max. wind speeds 113-157 mph) tornado 12.6 miles away from the place center caused between $50,000 and $500,000 in damages.
Earthquake activity:Whitesburg-area historical earthquake activity is slightly below Tennessee state average. It is 79% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 7/27/1980 at 18:52:21, a magnitude 5.2 (5.1 MB, 4.7 MS, 5.0 UK, 5.2 UK, Class: Moderate, Intensity: VI - VII) earthquake occurred 142.3 miles away from the city center
On 11/30/1973 at 07:48:41, a magnitude 4.7 (4.7 MB, 4.6 ML, Class: Light, Intensity: IV - V) earthquake occurred 55.2 miles away from Whitesburg center
On 8/2/1974 at 08:52:09, a magnitude 4.9 (4.3 MB, 4.9 LG) earthquake occurred 168.5 miles away from the city center
On 4/29/2003 at 08:59:39, a magnitude 4.9 (4.4 MB, 4.6 MW, 4.9 LG, Depth: 12.2 mi) earthquake occurred 185.3 miles away from the city center
On 9/7/1988 at 02:28:09, a magnitude 4.6 (4.5 MB, 4.6 LG) earthquake occurred 137.1 miles away from Whitesburg center
On 4/18/2008 at 09:36:59, a magnitude 5.4 (5.1 MB, 4.8 MS, 5.4 MW, 5.2 MW, Depth: 8.9 mi) earthquake occurred 301.9 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: regional Lg-wave magnitude (LG), body-wave magnitude (MB), local magnitude (ML), surface-wave magnitude (MS), moment magnitude (MW)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Hamblen County (7) is smaller than the US average (13).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 5
Emergencies Declared: 2
Causes of natural disasters: Floods: 3, Heavy Rains: 2, Tornadoes: 2, Winter Storms: 2, Flash Flood: 1, Hurricane: 1, Snowfall: 1, Storm: 1 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Hospitals and medical centers near Whitesburg:
- INTERIM HEALTH CARE OF EAST TENNESSEE (Home Health Center, about 8 miles away; MORRISTOWN, TN)
- FMC MORRISTOWN (Dialysis Facility, about 9 miles away; MORRISTOWN, TN)
- LAKEWAY REGIONAL HOSPITAL Acute Care Hospitals (about 10 miles away; MORRISTOWN, TN)
- HERITAGE CENTER, THE (Nursing Home, about 10 miles away; MORRISTOWN, TN)
- COVENANT HOMECARE (Home Health Center, about 10 miles away; MORRISTOWN, TN)
- COVENANT HOMECARE HOSPICE (Hospital, about 10 miles away; MORRISTOWN, TN)
- AMEDISYS HOME HEALTH CARE (Home Health Center, about 11 miles away; MORRISTOWN, TN)
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Whitesburg:
- Walters State Community College (about 7 miles; Morristown, TN; Full-time enrollment: 4,359)
- Tusculum College (about 23 miles; Greeneville, TN; FT enrollment: 2,070)
- Lincoln Memorial University (about 37 miles; Harrogate, TN; FT enrollment: 3,706)
- East Tennessee State University (about 44 miles; Johnson City, TN; FT enrollment: 12,774)
- Northeast State Community College (about 45 miles; Blountville, TN; FT enrollment: 4,480)
- The University of Tennessee-Knoxville (about 49 miles; Knoxville, TN; FT enrollment: 25,483)
- Southeast Kentucky Community and Technical College (about 51 miles; Cumberland, KY; FT enrollment: 2,196)
Public elementary/middle schools in Whitesburg:
Notable locations in Whitesburg: Three Springs Dock (A), Sequoyah Council Boy Scout Reservation (B), Morristown State Fish Hatchery (C), Fall Creek Campground (D), Whites Little Mountain Orchard (E). Display/hide their locations on the map
Churches in Whitesburg include: Ervin Chapel (A), Rocky Point Church (B), Tabernacle Church (C), Creech Chapel (D), Talley Chapel (E), Three Springs Church (F), Union Grove Church (G), Cedar Grove Church (H), Catherine Nenny Church (I). Display/hide their locations on the map
Cemeteries: Hyatt Cemetery (1), Williams Cemetery (2), Lane Cemetery (3), Bent Creek Cemetery (4), Ramsey Cemetery (5), McKenney Cemetery (6), Cobb Cemetery (7). Display/hide their locations on the map
Lake: Stanifer Pond (A). Display/hide its location on the map
Streams, rivers, and creeks: Lyons Creek (A), Kellar Branch (B), Hale Branch (C), Silver City Branch (D), Mud Creek (E), Dry Branch (F), Caney Fork (G), Whitesburg Branch (H), Bingham Branch (I). Display/hide their locations on the map
Air pollution and air quality trends
(lower is better)
Air Quality Index (AQI) level in 2007 was 56.8. This is better than average.
Nitrogen Dioxide (NO2) [ppb] level in 2006 was 4.41. This is significantly better than average. Closest monitor was 4.2 miles away from the city center.
Sulfur Dioxide (SO2) [ppb] level in 2007 was 4.34. This is significantly worse than average. Closest monitor was 4.2 miles away from the city center.
Ozone [ppb] level in 2006 was 36.4. This is about average. Closest monitor was 4.2 miles away from the city center.
Particulate Matter (PM10) [µg/m3] level in 2000 was 30.4. This is significantly worse than average. Closest monitor was 4.2 miles away from the city center.
|This place:||2.5 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
Likely homosexual households (counted as self-reported same-sex unmarried-partner households)
- Lesbian couples: 0.2% of all households
- Gay men: 0.1% of all households
Educational Attainment (%) in 2000
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2000
Presidential Elections Results
Graphs represent county-level data. Detailed 2008 Election Results
Religion statistics for Whitesburg CCD (based on Hamblen County data)
Food Environment Statistics:
|Hamblen County:||2.11 / 10,000 pop.|
|Tennessee:||1.99 / 10,000 pop.|
|This county:||0.16 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||0.17 / 10,000 pop.|
|Hamblen County:||0.65 / 10,000 pop.|
|Tennessee:||0.65 / 10,000 pop.|
|Hamblen County:||5.85 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||5.16 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||4.87 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||6.56 / 10,000 pop.|
6.08% of this county's 2011 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2010 ($34,689 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved from foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2010 and 2011:
|from Jefferson County, TN||1.16% ($26,000 average AGI)|
|from Hawkins County, TN||0.56% ($69,322)|
|from Grainger County, TN||0.45% ($24,020)|
5.94% of this county's 2010 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2011 ($32,777 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved to foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2010 and 2011:
Strongest AM radio stations in Whitesburg:
- WCRK (1150 AM; 5 kW; MORRISTOWN, TN; Owner: RADIO ACQUISITION CORP.)
- WMTN (1300 AM; 5 kW; MORRISTOWN, TN)
- WKVL (850 AM; daytime; 50 kW; KNOXVILLE, TN; Owner: HORNE RADIO, LLC)
- WFGW (1010 AM; 50 kW; BLACK MOUNTAIN, NC; Owner: BLUE RIDGE BROADCASTING CORP.)
- WLIK (1270 AM; 5 kW; NEWPORT, TN; Owner: WLIK, INC)
- WGOC (640 AM; 10 kW; BLOUNTVILLE, TN; Owner: CITADEL BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WLFJ (660 AM; daytime; 50 kW; GREENVILLE, SC; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WPWT (870 AM; daytime; 10 kW; COLONIAL HEIGHTS, TN; Owner: INFORMATION COMMUNICATIONS CORP.)
- WKJV (1380 AM; 25 kW; ASHEVILLE, NC; Owner: INTERNATIONAL BAPTIST OUTREACH MISSIONS)
- WHGG (1090 AM; daytime; 10 kW; KINGSPORT, TN; Owner: APPALACHIAN EDUCATIONAL COMMUNICATIO)
- WNOX (990 AM; 10 kW; KNOXVILLE, TN)
- WVLZ (1180 AM; daytime; 10 kW; KNOXVILLE, TN; Owner: KIRKLAND WIRELESS BROADCASTERS, INC.)
- WCSZ (1070 AM; 50 kW; SANS SOUCI, SC; Owner: WHYZ RADIO, L.P.)
Strongest FM radio stations in Whitesburg:
- WBGQ (100.7 FM; BULLS GAP, TN; Owner: CHEROKEE BROADCASTING)
- WJDT (106.5 FM; ROGERSVILLE, TN; Owner: C & S BROADCASTING)
- WMXK (94.1 FM; MORRISTOWN, TN; Owner: HORNE RADIO, LLC)
- WTFM (98.5 FM; KINGSPORT, TN; Owner: HOLSTON VALLEY BROADCASTING CORP.)
- WNPC-FM (92.9 FM; NEWPORT, TN; Owner: HARRIS BROADCASTING INC DBA WNPC INC)
- WIMZ-FM (103.5 FM; KNOXVILLE, TN; Owner: SOUTH CENTRAL COMM., CORP.)
- WIVK-FM (107.7 FM; KNOXVILLE, TN; Owner: CITADEL BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WWST (102.1 FM; SEVIERVILLE, TN; Owner: JOURNAL BROADCAST CORPORATION)
- WMIT (106.9 FM; BLACK MOUNTAIN, NC; Owner: BLUE RIDGE BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WNCW (88.7 FM; SPINDALE, NC; Owner: ISOTHERMAL COMMUNITY COLLEGE)
- WAEZ (94.9 FM; GREENEVILLE, TN; Owner: BRISTOL BROADCASTING COMPANY, INC.)
- WCTU (105.9 FM; TAZEWELL, TN; Owner: STAIR COMPANY, INC)
- W237AR (95.3 FM; HAZELWOOD, ETC., NC; Owner: WESTERN NORTH CAROLINA PUBLIC RADIO)
- WAXM (93.5 FM; BIG STONE GAP, VA; Owner: VALLEY BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WKSF (99.9 FM; ASHEVILLE, NC; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WRZK (95.9 FM; COLONIAL HEIGHTS, TN; Owner: MURRAY COMMUNICATIONS)
- WOKI-FM (100.3 FM; OAK RIDGE, TN; Owner: OAK RIDGE FM, INC.)
- WPJO (99.3 FM; ELIZABETHTON, TN; Owner: BRISTOL BROADCASTING COMPANY, INC.)
- WHCB (91.5 FM; BRISTOL, TN; Owner: APPALACHIAN EDUC. COMMUNICATION CORP)
- WETS-FM (89.5 FM; JOHNSON CITY, TN; Owner: EAST TENNESSEE STATE UNIVERSITY)
TV broadcast stations around Whitesburg:
- WETP-TV (Channel 2; SNEEDVILLE, TN; Owner: EAST TENNESSEE PUBLIC COMMUNICATIONS CORP.)
- WKOP-TV (Channel 15; KNOXVILLE, TN; Owner: EAST TENNESSEE PUBLIC COMMUNICATIONS CORP.)
- WBIR-TV (Channel 10; KNOXVILLE, TN; Owner: GANNETT PACIFIC CORPORATION)
- WVLT-TV (Channel 8; KNOXVILLE, TN; Owner: WVLT LICENSEE CORP.)
- WATE-TV (Channel 6; KNOXVILLE, TN; Owner: WATE, G.P.)
- WASV-TV (Channel 62; ASHEVILLE, NC; Owner: MEDIA GENERAL BROADCASTING OF SOUTH CAROLINA HOLDINGS, INC.)
- WTNZ (Channel 43; KNOXVILLE, TN; Owner: RAYCOM AMERICA, INC.)
- W61DG (Channel 61; MORRISTOWN, TN; Owner: TRINITY BROADCASTING NETWORK)
Fatal road traffic accident statistics for 1975 - 2014 (per 100,000 population)
Whitesburg fatal accident list:
Aug 10, 2006 87:99 PM, Us-Sr34, Lat: 36.26959, Lon: -83.14890, Vehicles: 1, Persons: 1, Fatalities: 1, Drunken persons involved: 1
May 14, 1994 04:40 AM, Sr34, Vehicles: 1, Persons: 2, Fatalities: 1, Drunken persons involved: 1
Mar 27, 1976 11:30 PM, Vehicles: 2, Persons: 2, Fatalities: 1, Drunken persons involved: 1
Mar 27, 1975 11:30 PM, Vehicles: 2, Persons: 2, Fatalities: 1, Drunken persons involved: 1
FCC Registered Antenna Towers:17 (See the full list of FCC Registered Antenna Towers in Whitesburg)
FCC Registered Private Land Mobile Towers:1
- Whitesburg Detector, Detector, Rr Mp 79.0a (Lat: 36.271750 Lon: -83.136000), Type: Bant, Structure height: 2.5 m, Overall height: 3 m, Call Sign: WNUS505, Licensee ID: L00008014
Assigned Frequencies: 160.950 MHz, 161.115 MHzGrant Date: 08/18/2015, Expiration Date: 11/15/2025Registrant: Norfolk Southern Railway Company, 1200 Peachtree Street, Ne, Box 123, Atlanta, GA 30309, Phone: (404) 582-6224, Fax: (404) 582-6209, Email:
FCC Registered Amateur Radio Licenses:18 (See the full list of FCC Registered Amateur Radio Licenses in Whitesburg)
FAA Registered Aircraft:1
- Aircraft: CESSNA 150G (Category: Land, Seats: 2, Weight: Up to 12,499 Pounds, Speed: 90 mph), Engine: CONT MOTOR 0-200 SERIES (100 HP) (4 Cycle)
N-Number: 2867S , Serial Number: 15066767, Year manufactured: 1967, Airworthiness Date: 05/26/1967
Registrant (Individual): Loyd F Jarrell, 1681 Warrensburg Rd, Whitesburg, TN 37891
Drinking water stations with addresses in Whitesburg and their reported violations in the past:CAMP DAVY CROCKET (Population served: 300, Groundwater):
Past monitoring violations:
- Monitoring, Source Water (GWR) - In OCT-01-2010, Contaminant: E. COLI. Follow-up actions: St Public Notif requested (DEC-02-2010), St Violation/Reminder Notice (DEC-02-2010), St Civil Case under development (2 times from MAR-31-2011 to NOV-04-2011)
- Monitoring, Repeat Major (TCR) - In SEP-2010, Contaminant: Coliform (TCR). Follow-up actions: St Public Notif requested (OCT-30-2010), St Violation/Reminder Notice (OCT-30-2010), St Civil Case under development (MAR-31-2011), St Compliance achieved (SEP-30-2011), St Civil Case under development (NOV-04-2011)
- One routine major monitoring violation
- One minor monitoring violation
2006 National Fire Incident Reporting System Incidents:
- Fire: 16
- Hazardous Condition: 2
Incident types - Whitesburg
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Electricity (78%)
- Bottled, tank, or LP gas (12%)
- Fuel oil, kerosene, etc. (5%)
- Wood (4%)
- Utility gas (1%)
- Coal or coke (1%)
Whitesburg compared to Tennessee state average:
- Unemployed percentage significantly below state average.
- Black race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage significantly below state average.
- Renting percentage significantly below state average.
- Length of stay since moving in significantly above state average.
- Number of rooms per house significantly below state average.
- House age significantly below state average.
- Number of college students below state average.
- Percentage of population with a bachelor's degree or higher significantly below state average.