We are giving away $1200 in prizes - enter simply by sending us your own city pictures!
|Median resident age:||45.2 years|
|Vermont median age:||45.8 years|
Zip codes: 05361.
Estimated per capita income in 2016: $32,035 (it was $21,904 in 2000)
Whitingham town income, earnings, and wages data
Estimated median house or condo value in 2016: $211,808 (it was $111,200 in 2000)
Mean prices in 2016: All housing units: $269,727; Detached houses: $287,548; Townhouses or other attached units: $214,455; In 2-unit structures: $281,048; In 3-to-4-unit structures: $160,900; In 5-or-more-unit structures: $133,395; Mobile homes: $98,897
Races in Whitingham, VT (2010)
- 1,32697.7%White alone
- 151.1%Two or more races
- 40.3%Black alone
- 20.1%American Indian alone
- 10.07%Asian alone
- 10.07%Native Hawaiian and Other
Pacific Islander alone
|Dover and Wilmington (2 replies)|
|Swanton v. Whitingham (5 replies)|
|Moving to Southern Vermont (23 replies)|
|BRATTLEBORO -- It's springtime, and sun worshippers take their clothes off. (66 replies)|
|Swimming in Brattleboro, Lakes Near Brattleboro (26 replies)|
|Does anyone here live in the Putney area? (6 replies)|
Latest news from Whitingham, VT collected exclusively by city-data.com from local newspapers, TV, and radio stations
Ancestries: English (20.1%), Irish (17.1%), French (11.9%), Italian (8.4%), German (8.1%), United States (8.0%).
Current Local Time: EST time zone
Elevation: 1689 feet
Land area: 37.1 square miles.
Population density: 37 people per square mile(very low).
For population 25 years and over in Whitingham:
- High school or higher: 86.0%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 18.2%
- Graduate or professional degree: 5.6%
- Unemployed: 3.9%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 27.3 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Whitingham town:
- Never married: 21.0%
- Now married: 64.9%
- Separated: 0.5%
- Widowed: 4.6%
- Divorced: 9.0%
26 residents are foreign born (1.1% Europe, 0.5% North America, 0.3% Africa).
According to our research of Vermont and other state lists there was 1 registered sex offender living in Whitingham, Vermont as of November 20, 2018.
The ratio of number of residents in Whitingham to the number of sex offenders is 1,357 to 1.
The number of registered sex offenders compared to the number of residents in this city is a lot smaller than the state average.
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units in 2000:
|Whitingham town:||1.5% ($1,696)|
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Chicopee, MA (44.5 miles , pop. 54,653).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: Boston, MA (95.4 miles , pop. 589,141).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: Bronx, NY (143.9 miles , pop. 1,332,650).
Nearest cities: Jacksonville, VT (1.4 miles ), Halifax, VT (2.3 miles ), Readsboro, VT (2.3 miles ), Rowe, MA (2.6 miles ), Wilmington, VT (2.6 miles ), Heath, MA (2.7 miles ), Monroe, MA (2.8 miles) , Marlboro, VT (2.9 miles ).
Single-family new house construction building permits:
- 1997: 1 building, cost: $75,600
- 1998: 1 building, cost: $75,600
- 1999: 1 building, cost: $75,600
- 2000: 1 building, cost: $75,600
- 2001: 1 building, cost: $75,600
- 2003: 1 building, cost: $75,600
- 2004: 2 buildings, average cost: $75,600
- 2005: 2 buildings, average cost: $75,600
- 2006: 2 buildings, average cost: $75,600
- 2007: 1 building, cost: $75,600
- 2008: 8 buildings, average cost: $150,000
- 2009: 6 buildings, average cost: $150,000
- 2010: 7 buildings, average cost: $150,000
- 2011: 4 buildings, average cost: $172,800
- 2012: 3 buildings, average cost: $184,000
- 2013: 4 buildings, average cost: $193,300
- 2014: 4 buildings, average cost: $211,200
Number of permits per 10,000 residents
Average cost (in $1000s)
Latitude: 42.78 N, Longitude: 72.85 W
Area code commonly used in this area: 802
Unemployment by year (%)
- Construction (21%)
- Accommodation and food services (9%)
- Wood products (5%)
- Professional, scientific, and technical services (5%)
- Public administration (5%)
- Agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting (4%)
- Building material and garden equipment and supplies dealers (4%)
- Educational services (14%)
- Accommodation and food services (13%)
- Health care (7%)
- Administrative and support and waste management services (4%)
- Social assistance (4%)
- Food and beverage stores (4%)
- Finance and insurance (3%)
- Electrical equipment mechanics and other installation, maintenance, and repair occupations including supervisors (9%)
- Other production occupations including supervisors (7%)
- Other management occupations except farmers and farm managers (5%)
- Driver/sales workers and truck drivers (5%)
- Construction laborers (4%)
- Other food preparation and serving workers including supervisors (4%)
- Construction trades workers except carpenters, electricians, painters, plumbers, and construction laborers (4%)
- Secretaries and administrative assistants (9%)
- Other management occupations except farmers and farm managers (7%)
- Other sales and related workers including supervisors (5%)
- Cashiers (5%)
- Other production occupations including supervisors (5%)
- Building and grounds cleaning and maintenance occupations (5%)
- Child care workers (5%)
Average climate in Whitingham, Vermont
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Whitingham-area historical tornado activity is significantly above Vermont state average. It is 25% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 8/28/1973, a category F4 (max. wind speeds 207-260 mph) tornado 38.3 miles away from the Whitingham town center killed 4 people and injured 36 people and caused between $5,000,000 and $50,000,000 in damages.
On 5/31/1998, a category F3 (max. wind speeds 158-206 mph) tornado 19.4 miles away from the town center injured 68 people and caused $71 million in damages.
Earthquake activity:Whitingham-area historical earthquake activity is slightly above Vermont state average. It is 89% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 10/7/1983 at 10:18:46, a magnitude 5.3 (5.1 MB, 5.3 LG, 5.1 ML, Class: Moderate, Intensity: VI - VII) earthquake occurred 110.2 miles away from the city center
On 4/20/2002 at 10:50:47, a magnitude 5.2 (5.2 MB, 4.2 MS, 5.2 MW, 5.0 MW, Depth: 6.8 mi) earthquake occurred 125.5 miles away from Whitingham center
On 1/19/1982 at 00:14:42, a magnitude 4.7 (4.5 MB, 4.7 MD, 4.5 LG, Class: Light, Intensity: IV - V) earthquake occurred 80.3 miles away from the city center
On 6/17/1991 at 08:53:16, a magnitude 4.1 (4.0 MB, 4.0 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 93.4 miles away from the city center
On 10/2/1994 at 11:27:22, a magnitude 3.7 (3.5 LG, 3.7 LG, Depth: 6.2 mi, Class: Light, Intensity: II - III) earthquake occurred 42.1 miles away from Whitingham center
On 4/20/2002 at 11:04:42, a magnitude 4.1 (4.1 LG, 3.7 ML, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 125.2 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: regional Lg-wave magnitude (LG), body-wave magnitude (MB), duration magnitude (MD), local magnitude (ML), surface-wave magnitude (MS), moment magnitude (MW)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Windham County (15) is near the US average (13).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 13
Emergencies Declared: 2
Causes of natural disasters: Floods: 10, Storms: 9, Tropical Storms: 2, Hurricane: 1, Landslide: 1, Snowstorm: 1, Wind: 1, Winter Storm: 1 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Birthplace of: Isaac Goodnow - Abolitionist.
Hospitals and medical centers near Whitingham:
- NORTH ADAMS COMMONS NURSING AND REHABILITATION CENTE (Nursing Home, about 14 miles away; NORTH ADAMS, MA)
- ADAMS N H OF N ADAMS (Nursing Home, about 14 miles away; NORTH ADAMS, MA)
- NORTH ADAMS REGIONAL HOSPITAL Acute Care Hospitals (about 15 miles away; NORTH ADAMS, MA)
- THOMPSON HOUSE NURSING HOME (Nursing Home, about 15 miles away; BRATTLEBORO, VT)
- BRATTLEBORO MEMORIAL HOSPITAL Acute Care Hospitals (about 16 miles away; BRATTLEBORO, VT)
- PINE HEIGHTS AT BRATTLEBORO CENTER FOR NURSING AND R (Nursing Home, about 16 miles away; BRATTLEBORO, VT)
- LINDEN LODGE NURSING HOME (Nursing Home, about 16 miles away; BRATTLEBORO, VT)
Operable nuclear power plant near Whitingham:
- 17 miles: Vermont Yankee in Vernon, VT.
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Whitingham:
- Williams College (about 19 miles; Williamstown, MA; Full-time enrollment: 2,141)
- Keene State College (about 31 miles; Keene, NH; FT enrollment: 5,098)
- University of Massachusetts-Amherst (about 33 miles; Amherst, MA; FT enrollment: 26,583)
- Smith College (about 35 miles; Northampton, MA; FT enrollment: 3,549)
- Mount Holyoke College (about 40 miles; South Hadley, MA; FT enrollment: 2,573)
- Franklin Pierce University (about 41 miles; Rindge, NH; FT enrollment: 2,139)
- Holyoke Community College (about 42 miles; Holyoke, MA; FT enrollment: 4,911)
Notable locations in Whitingham: North River Winery (A), Harriman Power Plant (B), Whitingham Free Public Library (C), Whitingham Volunteer Fire Department (D), Whitingham Fire Department - Jacksonville Fire House (E), Whitingham Ambulance Service Whitingham Station (F), Whitingham Ambulance Service Jacksonville Station (G). Display/hide their locations on the map
Cemeteries: Cutting Cemetery (1), Davidson Cemetery (2), Gates Cemetery (3), Sadawga Cemetery (4), Jewell-Wheeler Hill Cemetery (5), Jacksonville Cemetery (6), Coleman Cemetery (7). Display/hide their locations on the map
Lakes and reservoirs: Laurel Lake (A), Shippee Pond (B), North Pond (C), Atherton Meadow (D), Clara Lake (E), Gates Pond (F), Lake Clara (G), Harriman Reservoir (H). Display/hide their locations on the map
Streams, rivers, and creeks: Sprague Brook (A), South Branch Deerfield River (B), Graves Brook (C), Cyrus Brook (D), Number Nine Brook (E), Brown Brook (F). Display/hide their locations on the map
Park in Whitingham: Atherton Meadow State Wildlife Management Area (1). Display/hide its location on the map
Tourist attractions: Whitingham Historical Society (Museums; 13 Stimpson Hill Road) (1), Living History Association (Museums; Route 100) (2). Display/hide their approximate locations on the map
Air pollution and air quality trends
(lower is better)
Air Quality Index (AQI) level in 2013 was 60.1. This is better than average.
Ozone [ppb] level in 2013 was 31.8. This is about average. Closest monitor was 12.8 miles away from the city center.
Particulate Matter (PM10) [µg/m3] level in 2008 was 14.0. This is significantly better than average. Closest monitor was 15.8 miles away from the city center.
Particulate Matter (PM2.5) [µg/m3] level in 2013 was 6.13. This is significantly better than average. Closest monitor was 18.1 miles away from the city center.
|This town:||2.4 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
Likely homosexual households (counted as self-reported same-sex unmarried-partner households)
- Lesbian couples: 1.4% of all households
- Gay men: 0.7% of all households
Educational Attainment (%) in 2000
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2000
Presidential Elections Results
Graphs represent county-level data. Detailed 2008 Election Results
Religion statistics for Whitingham town (based on Windham County data)
Food Environment Statistics:
|Windham County:||4.14 / 10,000 pop.|
|Vermont:||3.84 / 10,000 pop.|
|Windham County:||1.38 / 10,000 pop.|
|Vermont:||1.95 / 10,000 pop.|
|Windham County:||7.37 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||6.40 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||18.87 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||11.52 / 10,000 pop.|
5.66% of this county's 2011 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2010 ($38,769 average adjusted gross income)
0.10% of residents moved from foreign countries ($168 average AGI)
Windham County: 0.10% Vermont average: 0.04%
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2010 and 2011:
|from Cheshire County, NH||0.65% ($30,754 average AGI)|
|from Windsor County, VT||0.47% ($25,261)|
|from Franklin County, MA||0.22% ($38,415)|
6.42% of this county's 2010 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2011 ($32,600 average adjusted gross income)
0.08% of residents moved to foreign countries ($193 average AGI)
Windham County: 0.08% Vermont average: 0.06%
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2010 and 2011:
Strongest AM radio stations in Whitingham:
- WNNZ (640 AM; 50 kW; WESTFIELD, MA; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WIZZ (1520 AM; daytime; 10 kW; GREENFIELD, MA; Owner: P. & M. RADIO, LLC)
- WGY (810 AM; 50 kW; SCHENECTADY, NY; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WCRN (830 AM; 50 kW; WORCESTER, MA; Owner: CARTER BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WPTR (1540 AM; 50 kW; ALBANY, NY; Owner: KIMTRON, INC.)
- WVNE (760 AM; daytime; 25 kW; LEICESTER, MA; Owner: BLOUNT MASSCOM, INC.)
- WRKO (680 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: ENTERCOM BOSTON LICENSE, LLC)
- WTIC (1080 AM; 50 kW; HARTFORD, CT; Owner: INFINITY RADIO OPERATIONS INC.)
- WEEI (850 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: ENTERCOM BOSTON LICENSE, LLC)
- WALE (990 AM; 50 kW; GREENVILLE, RI; Owner: NORTH AMERICAN BROADCASTING CO., INC.)
- WKOX (1200 AM; 50 kW; FRAMINGHAM, MA; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WBIX (1060 AM; 40 kW; NATICK, MA; Owner: LANGER BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WHYN (560 AM; 5 kW; SPRINGFIELD, MA; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
Strongest FM radio stations in Whitingham:
- WVAY (100.7 FM; WILMINGTON, VT; Owner: GREAT NORTHERN RADIO, L.L.C.)
- WAMC-FM (90.3 FM; ALBANY, NY; Owner: WAMC)
- WRSY (101.5 FM; MARLBORO, VT; Owner: GREAT NORTHERN RADIO, L.L.C.)
- WEQX (102.7 FM; MANCHESTER, VT; Owner: NORTHSHIRE COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- WJAN (95.1 FM; SUNDERLAND, VT; Owner: 6 JOHNSON ROAD LICENSES, INC.)
- WPVQ (95.3 FM; GREENFIELD, MA; Owner: GREAT NORTHERN RADIO, L.L.C.)
- WKVT-FM (92.7 FM; BRATTLEBORO, VT; Owner: SAGA COMMUNICATIONS OF NEW ENGLAND, LLC)
- WMNB (100.1 FM; NORTH ADAMS, MA; Owner: BERKSHIRE BROADCASTING CO., INC.)
- WCMK (91.9 FM; PUTNEY, VT; Owner: CHRISTIAN MINISTRIES INC)
- WZEC (97.5 FM; HOOSICK FALLS, NY; Owner: GREAT NORTHERN RADIO, LLC)
- WYRY (104.9 FM; HINSDALE, NH; Owner: TRI-VALLEY BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WHDQ (106.1 FM; CLAREMONT, NH; Owner: GREAT NORTHERN RADIO, L.L.C.)
- WJJR (98.1 FM; RUTLAND, VT; Owner: 6 JOHNSON ROAD LICENSES, INC.)
- WZRT (97.1 FM; RUTLAND, VT; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WVPR (89.5 FM; WINDSOR, VT; Owner: VERMONT PUBLIC RADIO)
- WEBK (105.3 FM; KILLINGTON, VT; Owner: 6 JOHNSON ROAD LICENSES, INC.)
- WKNE (103.7 FM; KEENE, NH; Owner: SAGA COMMUNICATIONS OF NEW ENGLAND, LLC)
- WEVN (90.7 FM; KEENE, NH; Owner: NEW HAMPSHIRE PUBLIC RADIO, INC.)
- WHAI (98.3 FM; GREENFIELD, MA; Owner: SAGA COMMUNICATIONS OF NEW ENGLAND, LLC)
- WGLV (91.7 FM; WOODSTOCK, VT; Owner: CHRISTIAN MINISTRIES INC)
TV broadcast stations around Whitingham:
- WEKW-TV (Channel 52; KEENE, NH; Owner: UNIVERSITY OF NEW HAMPSHIRE)
- WCDC-TV (Channel 19; ADAMS, MA; Owner: YOUNG BROADCASTING OF ALBANY, INC.)
- W35BK (Channel 35; PLAINFIELD, MA; Owner: LYDIA SYLVANE STOCKWELL)
- W38DL (Channel 38; ADAMS, ETC., MA; Owner: WNYT-TV, LLC)
- Whitingham, Vermont
- Fatal accident count10
- Vehicles involved in fatal accidents13
- Fatal accidents involving drunken persons:5
- Persons involved in fatal accidents17
- Pedestrians involved in fatal accidents0
- Vermont average
- Fatal accident count54
- Vehicles involved in fatal accidents75
- Fatal accidents involving drunken persons23
- Persons involved in fatal accidents132
- Pedestrians involved in fatal accidents3
- National Bridge Inventory (NBI) Statistics
- 5Number of bridges
- 8m26ftTotal length
- $876,000Total costs
- 4,350Total average daily traffic
- 339Total average daily truck traffic
- 6,008Total future (year 2015) average daily traffic
FCC Registered Private Land Mobile Towers:1
- 4840 Vt 100 (Lat: 42.790361 Lon: -72.850361), Type: Pole, Structure height: 9 m, Overall height: 17 m, Call Sign: WPUR610
Assigned Frequencies: 151.745 MHzGrant Date: 03/08/2012, Expiration Date: 04/18/2022, Certifier: Wayne C CorseRegistrant: Western Mass Communications Inc, 26 Sugarloaf St, South Deerfield, MA 01373, Phone: (413) 648-9382, Fax: (413) 648-9382
FCC Registered Microwave Towers:2
- STATION, Harriman Hydroelectric Station (Lat: 42.758111 Lon: -72.928972), Structure height: 13.4 m, Overall height: 17.7 m, Call Sign: WPP90
Assigned Frequencies: 6605.00 MHzGrant Date: 01/05/2010, Expiration Date: 02/08/2020Registrant: Utilties Telecom Council, 1901 Pennsylvania Ave, Nw Suite 500, Washington, DC 20006, Phone: (202) 872-0030, Fax: (202) 872-1331, Email:
- Whitingham-01, 4189 Route 100 (Lat: 42.787472 Lon: -72.837639), Type: Mtower, Structure height: 42.1 m, Overall height: 42.7 m, Call Sign: WQUR558
Assigned Frequencies: 10735.0 MHz, 10775.0 MHz, 10735.0 MHz, 10775.0 MHz, 10735.0 MHz, 10775.0 MHz, 10735.0 MHz, 10775.0 MHz, 10735.0 MHz, 10775.0 MHz, 10735.0 MHz, 10775.0 MHzGrant Date: 09/19/2014, Expiration Date: 09/19/2024, Certifier: Fran StockerRegistrant: Radyn, Inc, Silver Spring, MD 20914, Phone: (301) 493-5171, Fax: (301) 576-4553, Email:
FCC Registered Amateur Radio Licenses:3
- Call Sign: K1TEZ, Licensee ID: L00410290, Grant Date: 11/14/2006, Expiration Date: 01/15/2017, Certifier: Bjarne C Abildgaard, Registrant: Bjarne C Abildgaard, 871 Streeter Hill Rd, Whitingham, VT 05361-0556
- Call Sign: KB1DJB, Grant Date: 10/29/1998, Expiration Date: 10/29/2008, Cancellation Date: 10/30/2010, Registrant: George J Smith, 37 Heartwood Ln, Whitingham, VT 05361
- Call Sign: KB1UNR, Licensee ID: L01580630, Grant Date: 07/02/2010, Expiration Date: 07/02/2020, Certifier: Dan Purjes, Registrant: Dan Purjes, 1761 Kentfield Rd, Whitingham, VT 05361
Drinking water stations with addresses in Whitingham and their reported violations in the past:WHITINGHAM SCHOOL (Address: 4299 VT RTE 100 , Population served: 345, Groundwater):
Past monitoring violations:
- 2 routine major monitoring violations
- 21 regular monitoring violations
2006 National Fire Incident Reporting System Incidents:
- Fire: 5
- Hazardous Condition: 6
Incident types - Whitingham
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Fuel oil, kerosene, etc. (62%)
- Wood (18%)
- Bottled, tank, or LP gas (15%)
- Utility gas (1%)
- Electricity (1%)
- Other fuel (1%)
- Coal or coke (1%)
Whitingham compared to Vermont state average:
- Unemployed percentage significantly below state average.
- Black race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage below state average.
- Renting percentage below state average.
- Length of stay since moving in significantly above state average.
- Number of rooms per house significantly below state average.
- House age significantly below state average.
- Number of college students below state average.
Total of 1 patent application in 2008-2018.