|Median resident age:||34.8 years|
|Kentucky median age:||41.0 years|
Zip codes: 42653.
Whitley City CDP income, earnings, and wages data
Estimated median house or condo value in 2012: $57,380 (it was $47,200 in 2000)
Median gross rent in 2012: $378.
- White alone - 1,135 (97.0%)
- American Indian alone - 11 (0.9%)
- Hispanic - 10 (0.9%)
- Two or more races - 9 (0.8%)
- Black alone - 2 (0.2%)
- Asian alone - 2 (0.2%)
- Other race alone - 1 (0.09%)
|Is Kentucky the south or the midwest? (645 replies)|
|Williamsburg/Corbin/London - Questions (19 replies)|
|Thinking of retiring in Kentucky, good fishing lakes (15 replies)|
Latest news from Whitley City, KY collected exclusively by city-data.com from local newspapers, TV, and radio stations
Ancestries: Irish (28.2%), United States (23.7%), Norwegian (2.1%), German (2.0%), English (1.1%), Scotch-Irish (1.1%).
Current Local Time: EST time zone
Elevation: 1357 feet
Land area: 2.31 square miles.
Population density: 507 people per square mile(low).
For population 25 years and over in Whitley City:
- High school or higher: 64.2%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 2.0%
- Graduate or professional degree: 0.0%
- Unemployed: 17.6%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 21.9 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Whitley City CDP:
- Never married: 24.4%
- Now married: 41.4%
- Separated: 7.5%
- Widowed: 5.8%
- Divorced: 20.8%
4 residents are foreign born
According to our research of Kentucky and other state lists there were 5 registered sex offenders living in Whitley City, Kentucky as of May 23, 2015.
The ratio of number of residents in Whitley City to the number of sex offenders is 234 to 1.
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units with mortgages in 2012: $623 (0.8%)
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units with no mortgage in 2012: $199 (0.4%)
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Knoxville, TN (59.7 miles , pop. 173,890).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: Fayette, KY (90.3 miles , pop. 260,512).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: Chicago, IL (393.3 miles , pop. 2,896,016).
Nearest cities: Stearns, KY (1.4 miles ), Pine Knot, KY (2.2 miles ), Co-operative, KY (2.8 miles ), Parkers Lake, KY (3.1 miles ), Winfield, TN (3.4 miles ), Gregory, KY (3.7 miles ), Cumberland Falls, KY (3.9 miles ), Oneida, TN (4.0 miles ).
Latitude: 36.72 N, Longitude: 84.47 W
Unemployment by year (%)
- Health care and social assistance (32%)
- Retail trade (26%)
- Transportation and warehousing (16%)
- Construction (16%)
- Manufacturing (10%)
- Agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting (0%)
- Mining, quarrying, and oil and gas extraction (0%)
- Health care and social assistance (36%)
- Administrative and support and waste management services (26%)
- Accommodation and food services (20%)
- Educational services (17%)
- Agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting (0%)
- Mining, quarrying, and oil and gas extraction (0%)
- Construction (0%)
- Driver/sales workers and truck drivers (28%)
- Bus drivers (9%)
- Computer specialists (6%)
- Fishing and hunting, and forest and logging workers (6%)
- Lawyers (5%)
- Physicians and surgeons (5%)
- Therapists (5%)
- Textile, apparel, and furnishings workers (19%)
- Preschool, kindergarten, elementary and middle school teachers (11%)
- Retail sales workers except cashiers (11%)
- Information and record clerks except customer service representatives (11%)
- Physicians and surgeons (7%)
- Therapists (7%)
- Waiters and waitresses (7%)
Average climate in Whitley City, Kentucky
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Whitley City-area historical tornado activity is slightly below Kentucky state average. It is 1% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 4/3/1974, a category F4 (max. wind speeds 207-260 mph) tornado 3.8 miles away from the Whitley City place center .
On 4/3/1974, a category F4 tornado 21.9 miles away from the place center killed 10 people and injured 113 people and caused between $5000 and $50,000 in damages.
Earthquake activity:Whitley City-area historical earthquake activity is near Kentucky state average. It is 77% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 7/27/1980 at 18:52:21, a magnitude 5.2 (5.1 MB, 4.7 MS, 5.0 UK, 5.2 UK, Class: Moderate, Intensity: VI - VII) earthquake occurred 106.4 miles away from the city center
On 11/30/1973 at 07:48:41, a magnitude 4.7 (4.7 MB, 4.6 ML, Class: Light, Intensity: IV - V) earthquake occurred 70.0 miles away from Whitley City center
On 4/18/2008 at 09:36:59, a magnitude 5.4 (5.1 MB, 4.8 MS, 5.4 MW, 5.2 MW, Depth: 8.9 mi) earthquake occurred 222.1 miles away from the city center
On 9/7/1988 at 02:28:09, a magnitude 4.6 (4.5 MB, 4.6 LG) earthquake occurred 103.4 miles away from the city center
On 4/29/2003 at 08:59:39, a magnitude 4.9 (4.4 MB, 4.6 MW, 4.9 LG, Depth: 12.2 mi) earthquake occurred 167.5 miles away from Whitley City center
On 6/18/2002 at 17:37:15, a magnitude 5.0 (4.3 MB, 4.6 MW, 5.0 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 201.8 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: regional Lg-wave magnitude (LG), body-wave magnitude (MB), local magnitude (ML), surface-wave magnitude (MS), moment magnitude (MW)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in McCreary County (10) is near the US average (12).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 6
Emergencies Declared: 2
Causes of natural disasters: Storms: 3, Fires: 2, Floods: 2, Tornadoes: 2, Winter Storms: 2, Blizzard: 1, Freeze: 1, Hurricane: 1, Snow: 1, Snowfall: 1 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Whitley City:
- University of the Cumberlands (about 18 miles; Williamsburg, KY; Full-time enrollment: 3,585)
- Somerset Community College (about 25 miles; Somerset, KY; FT enrollment: 4,698)
- Lincoln Memorial University (about 47 miles; Harrogate, TN; FT enrollment: 3,706)
- Lindsey Wilson College (about 53 miles; Columbia, KY; FT enrollment: 2,552)
- Pellissippi State Community College (about 57 miles; Knoxville, TN; FT enrollment: 7,271)
- Roane State Community College (about 59 miles; Harriman, TN; FT enrollment: 4,302)
- The University of Tennessee-Knoxville (about 62 miles; Knoxville, TN; FT enrollment: 25,483)
Public elementary/middle school in Whitley City:
- Whitley City Elementary School (Students: 629; Location: 2819 N Hwy 27; Grades: K-6)
Private elementary/middle school in Whitley City:
Notable locations in Whitley City: Stearns Ranger Station (A), McCreary County Search and Rescue (B), Whitley City Fire Station (C), McCreary County Ambulance Service (D). Display/hide their locations on the map
Hotels: Whitley City Motel (1710 North Highway 27), Whitley City Motel & Restaurant (1710 North Highway 27).
Courts: McCreary Co Court Clerk Office (Pigeon Voting Booth), Justice Circuit Court Clerk (Po Box 40), Drug Court (10 Jerry Avenue), McCreary County Court House (Whitley City).
Drinking water stations with addresses in Whitley City and their reported violations in the past:MCCREARY COUNTY WATER DISTRICT (Population served: 17,532, Surface water):
Past health violations:
Past monitoring violations:
- MCL, Average - Between APR-2011 and JUN-2011, Contaminant: CARBON, TOTAL. Follow-up actions: St Public Notif requested (MAR-22-2012), St Formal NOV issued (MAR-22-2012), St Public Notif received (MAR-26-2012), St Compliance achieved (APR-24-2012)
- 3 minor monitoring violations
|This place:||2.4 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
Likely homosexual households (counted as self-reported same-sex unmarried-partner households)
- Lesbian couples: 0.2% of all households
- Gay men: 0.4% of all households
47 people in local jails and other confinement facilities (including police lockups) in 2000
5 people in religious group quarters in 2000
Whitley City compared to Kentucky state average:
- Median household income below state average.
- Median house value below state average.
- Black race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Median age below state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage significantly below state average.
- Renting percentage above state average.
- Length of stay since moving in significantly above state average.
- Institutionalized population percentage significantly above state average.
- Percentage of population with a bachelor's degree or higher significantly below state average.
Banks with branches in Whitley City (2011 data):
- Bank of McCreary County: Bank Of Mccreary County at 47 South Main Street, branch established on 1906/01/01. Info updated 2006/11/03: Bank assets: $134.9 mil, Deposits: $103.1 mil, local headquarters, positive income, 3 total offices, Holding Company: Mccreary Bancshares Inc.
- FORCHT BANK, NATIONAL ASSOCIATION: Somerset - Mccreary at 456 North U.S. Highway 27, branch established on 1994/12/16. Info updated 2008/01/08: Bank assets: $992.1 mil, Deposits: $796.4 mil, headquarters in Lexington, KY, positive income, 34 total offices, Holding Company: Forcht Bancorp, Inc.
Educational Attainment (%) in 2012
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2012
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Electricity (96%)
- Fuel oil, kerosene, etc. (4%)
Presidential Elections Results
1996 Presidential Elections Results
2000 Presidential Elections Results
2004 Presidential Elections Results
2008 Presidential Elections Results
2012 Presidential Elections Results
Graphs represent county-level data. Detailed 2008 Election Results
Religion statistics for Whitley City CDP (based on McCreary County data)Percentage of population affiliated with a religious congregations: 23.82%
Breakdown of population affiliated with a religious congregations
|Name||Southern Baptist Convention||United Methodist Church||LDS (Mormon) Church||Seventh-Day Adventist Church||Other|
Tables represent county-level data.
Food Environment Statistics:
|McCreary County:||2.31 / 10,000 pop.|
|Kentucky:||2.19 / 10,000 pop.|
|McCreary County:||2.31 / 10,000 pop.|
|Kentucky:||0.74 / 10,000 pop.|
|McCreary County:||7.52 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||4.36 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||4.63 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||5.74 / 10,000 pop.|
4.51% of this county's 2011 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2010 ($22,036 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved from foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2010 and 2011:
|from Pulaski County, KY||0.79% ($22,324 average AGI)|
|from Scott County, TN||0.49% ($22,905)|
|from Wayne County, KY||0.30% ($15,846)|
5.02% of this county's 2010 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2011 ($23,442 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved to foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2010 and 2011:
Strongest AM radio stations in Whitley City:
- WKVL (850 AM; daytime; 50 kW; KNOXVILLE, TN; Owner: HORNE RADIO, LLC)
- WEKC (710 AM; daytime; 4 kW; WILLIAMSBURG, KY; Owner: GERALD PARKS)
- WKDP (1330 AM; 5 kW; CORBIN, KY; Owner: EUBANKS BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WEZJ (1440 AM; 3 kW; WILLIAMSBURG, KY; Owner: WHITLEY BROADCASTING CO., INC.)
- WHAS (840 AM; 50 kW; LOUISVILLE, KY; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WSM (650 AM; 50 kW; NASHVILLE, TN; Owner: GAYLORD ENTERTAINMENT COMPANY)
- WQBB (1040 AM; daytime; 10 kW; POWELL, TN; Owner: JOURNAL BROADCAST CORPORATION)
- WWAM (820 AM; daytime; 50 kW; JASPER, TN; Owner: SHELTON BROADCASTING SYSTEM)
- WOCV (1310 AM; 1 kW; ONEIDA, TN; Owner: ONEIDA BROADCASTERS, INC.)
- WNOX (990 AM; 10 kW; KNOXVILLE, TN)
- WFLI (1070 AM; 50 kW; LOOKOUT MOUNTAIN, TN; Owner: WFLI, INC.)
- WECO (940 AM; 5 kW; WARTBURG, TN; Owner: MORGAN COUNTY B/CASTING CO.)
- WAMB (1160 AM; 50 kW; DONELSON, TN; Owner: GREAT SOUTHERN BROADCASTING COMPANY, INC.)
Strongest FM radio stations in Whitley City:
- WHAY (105.9 FM; WHITLEY CITY, KY; Owner: TIM LAVENDER)
- WEKX (102.7 FM; JELLICO, TN; Owner: WHITLEY BROADCASTING CO., INC.)
- WEZJ-FM (104.3 FM; WILLIAMSBURG, KY; Owner: WHITLEY BROADCASTING CO., INC.)
- WDVX (89.9 FM; CLINTON, TN; Owner: CUMBERLAND COMMUNITIES COMMUNI CORP.)
- WMKZ (93.1 FM; MONTICELLO, KY; Owner: MONTICELLO-WAYNE COUNTY MEDIA, INC.)
- WMIK-FM (92.7 FM; MIDDLESBORO, KY; Owner: GATEWAY BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WKYM (101.7 FM; MONTICELLO, KY; Owner: STEPHEN W. STAPLES JR.)
- WOKI-FM (100.3 FM; OAK RIDGE, TN; Owner: OAK RIDGE FM, INC.)
- WIMZ-FM (103.5 FM; KNOXVILLE, TN; Owner: SOUTH CENTRAL COMM., CORP.)
- WSEK (97.1 FM; SOMERSET, KY; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WKDP-FM (99.5 FM; CORBIN, KY; Owner: EUBANKS BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WCTT-FM (107.3 FM; CORBIN, KY; Owner: ENCORE COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- WTHL (90.5 FM; SOMERSET, KY; Owner: SOMERSET EDUCATIONAL BROADCASTING FOUNDATION)
- WYGE (92.3 FM; LONDON, KY; Owner: ETHEL HUFF BROADCASTING, LLC)
- WECO-FM (101.3 FM; WARTBURG, TN; Owner: MORGAN COUNTY BROADCASTING CO., INC.)
- WLLK (93.9 FM; BURNSIDE, KY; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WVCT (91.5 FM; KEAVY, KY; Owner: VICTORY TRAINING SCHOOL CORP.)
TV broadcast stations around Whitley City:
- WKSO-TV (Channel 29; SOMERSET, KY; Owner: KENTUCKY AUTHORITY FOR EDUCATIONAL TV)
- Fatal accident count: 12
- Vehicles involved in fatal accidents: 20
- Fatal accidents caused by drunken drivers: 3
- Fatalities: 15
- Persons involved in fatal accidents: 36
- Pedestrians involved in fatal accidents: 2
- Fatal accident count: 87
- Vehicles involved in fatal accidents: 135
- Fatal accidents caused by drunken drivers: 26
- Fatalities: 95
- Persons involved in fatal accidents: 228
- Pedestrians involved in fatal accidents: 9
Total length: 7 meters (23ft)
Total average daily traffic: 14,004
Total average daily truck traffic: 1,072
2006 National Fire Incident Reporting System Incidents:
- Fire: 31
- Hazardous Condition: 2
Incident types - Whitley City
|Most common first names in Whitley City, KY among deceased individuals|
|Most common last names in Whitley City, KY among deceased individuals|
|Last name||Count||Lived (average)|
|Businesses in Whitley City, KY|
|Advance Auto Parts||1||Long John Silver's||1|
|Domino's Pizza||1||Rite Aid||1|
Whitley City on our top lists:
- #3 on the list of "Top 101 cities with largest percentage of males in occupations: Education, training, and library occupations:"
- #4 on the list of "Top 101 cities with largest percentage of females working in industry: Pharmacies and drug stores"
- #5 on the list of "Top 101 cities with largest percentage of males working in industry: Truck transportation"
- #10 on the list of "Top 101 cities with largest percentage of males in occupations: Farming, fishing, and forestry occupations:"
- #10 on the list of "Top 101 cities with largest percentage of males in occupations: Agricultural workers including supervisors"
- #11 on the list of "Top 101 cities with largest percentage of females in occupations: Judges, magistrates, and other judicial workers"
- #57 on the list of "Top 101 cities with the largest percentage of people in religious group quarters"
- #58 on the list of "Top 101 cities with the largest percentage of people in local jails and other confinement facilities (including police lockups)"
- #100 on the list of "Top 101 cities with the most people below the poverty level, excluding cities with 15% or more of residents in college and with the median age below 28"