Whitley City, Kentucky
Submit your own pictures of this place and show them to the world
Population change since 2000: +5.3%
|Median resident age:||48.6 years|
|Kentucky median age:||38.7 years|
Zip codes: 42653.
Estimated per capita income in 2016: $6,866 (it was $11,659 in 2000)
Whitley City CDP income, earnings, and wages data
Estimated median house or condo value in 2016: $52,476 (it was $47,200 in 2000)
Mean prices in 2016: all housing units: $68,179; detached houses: $99,180; mobile homes: $29,376
Median gross rent in 2016: $420.
- 1,13597.0%White alone
- 110.9%American Indian alone
- 90.8%Two or more races
- 20.2%Black alone
- 20.2%Asian alone
- 10.09%Other race alone
According to our research of Kentucky and other state lists, there were 8 registered sex offenders living in Whitley City, Kentucky as of October 19, 2019.
The ratio of all residents to sex offenders in Whitley City is 131 to 1.
|Fires burning in Ky (8 replies)|
|Questions about Things to do near southern part of Boone National Forest (7 replies)|
|Is Kentucky the south or the midwest? (921 replies)|
|Williamsburg/Corbin/London - Questions (19 replies)|
|Thinking of retiring in Kentucky, good fishing lakes (15 replies)|
Latest news from Whitley City, KY collected exclusively by city-data.com from local newspapers, TV, and radio stations
Ancestries: American (57.0%), French Canadian (1.8%), Scotch-Irish (1.8%).
Current Local Time: EST time zone
Elevation: 1357 feet
Land area: 2.31 square miles.
Population density: 507 people per square mile(low).
33 residents are foreign born
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units with mortgages in 2016: $211 (0.3%)
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units with no mortgage in 2016: $218 (0.4%)
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Knoxville, TN (59.7 miles , pop. 173,890).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: Fayette, KY (90.3 miles , pop. 260,512).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: Chicago, IL (393.3 miles , pop. 2,896,016).
Latitude: 36.72 N, Longitude: 84.47 W
- Educational services (17.8%)
- Truck transportation (16.0%)
- Health care (11.4%)
- Transportation equipment (8.2%)
- Agriculture, forestry, fishing & hunting (5.7%)
- Apparel (5.3%)
- Construction (5.0%)
- Truck transportation (27.2%)
- Agriculture, forestry, fishing & hunting (10.1%)
- Health care (10.1%)
- Construction (8.9%)
- Educational services (8.9%)
- Administrative & support & waste management services (6.3%)
- Transportation equipment (5.1%)
- Educational services (29.3%)
- Health care (13.0%)
- Transportation equipment (12.2%)
- Pharmacies & drug stores (11.4%)
- Public administration (11.4%)
- Apparel (6.5%)
- Accommodation & food services (6.5%)
- Driver/sales workers and truck drivers (16.4%)
- Textile, apparel, and furnishings workers (10.7%)
- Physicians and surgeons (5.7%)
- Therapists (5.7%)
- Preschool, kindergarten, elementary, and middle school teachers (5.0%)
- Information and record clerks, except customer service representatives (5.0%)
- Retail sales workers, except cashiers (5.0%)
- Driver/sales workers and truck drivers (27.8%)
- Bus drivers (8.9%)
- Computer specialists (5.7%)
- Fishing, hunting, and forestry occupations (5.7%)
- Physicians and surgeons (5.1%)
- Lawyers (5.1%)
- Therapists (5.1%)
- Textile, apparel, and furnishings workers (18.7%)
- Preschool, kindergarten, elementary, and middle school teachers (11.4%)
- Information and record clerks, except customer service representatives (11.4%)
- Retail sales workers, except cashiers (11.4%)
- Waiters and waitresses (6.5%)
- Other food preparation and serving workers, including supervisors (6.5%)
- Physicians and surgeons (6.5%)
Average climate in Whitley City, Kentucky
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Whitley City-area historical tornado activity is slightly below Kentucky state average. It is 1% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 4/3/1974, a category F4 (max. wind speeds 207-260 mph) tornado 3.8 miles away from the Whitley City place center .
On 4/3/1974, a category F4 tornado 21.9 miles away from the place center killed 10 people and injured 113 people and caused between $5000 and $50,000 in damages.
Earthquake activity:Whitley City-area historical earthquake activity is near Kentucky state average. It is 77% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 7/27/1980 at 18:52:21, a magnitude 5.2 (5.1 MB, 4.7 MS, 5.0 UK, 5.2 UK, Class: Moderate, Intensity: VI - VII) earthquake occurred 106.4 miles away from Whitley City center
On 11/30/1973 at 07:48:41, a magnitude 4.7 (4.7 MB, 4.6 ML, Class: Light, Intensity: IV - V) earthquake occurred 70.0 miles away from the city center
On 4/18/2008 at 09:36:59, a magnitude 5.4 (5.1 MB, 4.8 MS, 5.4 MW, 5.2 MW, Depth: 8.9 mi) earthquake occurred 222.1 miles away from Whitley City center
On 9/7/1988 at 02:28:09, a magnitude 4.6 (4.5 MB, 4.6 LG) earthquake occurred 103.4 miles away from the city center
On 4/29/2003 at 08:59:39, a magnitude 4.9 (4.4 MB, 4.6 MW, 4.9 LG, Depth: 12.2 mi) earthquake occurred 167.5 miles away from the city center
On 6/18/2002 at 17:37:15, a magnitude 5.0 (4.3 MB, 4.6 MW, 5.0 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 201.8 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: regional Lg-wave magnitude (LG), body-wave magnitude (MB), local magnitude (ML), surface-wave magnitude (MS), moment magnitude (MW)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in McCreary County (10) is smaller than the US average (13).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 6
Emergencies Declared: 2
Causes of natural disasters: Storms: 3, Fires: 2, Floods: 2, Tornadoes: 2, Winter Storms: 2, Blizzard: 1, Freeze: 1, Hurricane: 1, Snow: 1, Snowfall: 1 (Note: some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Whitley City:
- University of the Cumberlands (about 18 miles; Williamsburg, KY; Full-time enrollment: 3,585)
- Somerset Community College (about 25 miles; Somerset, KY; FT enrollment: 4,698)
- Lincoln Memorial University (about 47 miles; Harrogate, TN; FT enrollment: 3,706)
- Lindsey Wilson College (about 53 miles; Columbia, KY; FT enrollment: 2,552)
- Pellissippi State Community College (about 57 miles; Knoxville, TN; FT enrollment: 7,271)
- Roane State Community College (about 59 miles; Harriman, TN; FT enrollment: 4,302)
- The University of Tennessee-Knoxville (about 62 miles; Knoxville, TN; FT enrollment: 25,483)
Private high school in Whitley City:
Public elementary/middle school in Whitley City:
- WHITLEY CITY ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Students: 629, Location: 2819 N HWY 27, Grades: KG-6)
Points of interest:
Notable locations in Whitley City: Stearns Ranger Station (A), McCreary County Search and Rescue (B), Whitley City Fire Station (C), McCreary County Ambulance Service (D). Display/hide their locations on the map
Hotels: Whitley City Motel (1710 North Highway 27), Whitley City Motel & Restaurant (1710 North Highway 27).
Courts: McCreary Co Court Clerk Office (Pigeon Voting Booth), Justice Circuit Court Clerk (Po Box 40), Drug Court (10 Jerry Avenue), McCreary County Court House (Whitley City).
Drinking water stations with addresses in Whitley City and their reported violations in the past:MCCREARY COUNTY WATER DISTRICT (Population served: 17,532, Surface water):
Past health violations:
Past monitoring violations:
- MCL, Average - Between APR-2011 and JUN-2011, Contaminant: CARBON, TOTAL. Follow-up actions: St Public Notif requested (MAR-22-2012), St Formal NOV issued (MAR-22-2012), St Public Notif received (MAR-26-2012), St Compliance achieved (APR-24-2012)
- 3 minor monitoring violations
|This place:||2.4 people|
Likely homosexual households (counted as self-reported same-sex unmarried-partner households)
- Lesbian couples: 0.2% of all households
- Gay men: 0.4% of all households
47 people in local jails and other confinement facilities (including police lockups) in 2000
5 people in religious group quarters in 2000
Banks with branches in Whitley City (2011 data):
- Bank of McCreary County: Bank Of Mccreary County at 47 South Main Street, branch established on 1906/01/01. Info updated 2006/11/03: Bank assets: $134.9 mil, Deposits: $103.1 mil, local headquarters, positive income, 3 total offices, Holding Company: Mccreary Bancshares Inc.
- FORCHT BANK, NATIONAL ASSOCIATION: Somerset - Mccreary at 456 North U.S. Highway 27, branch established on 1994/12/16. Info updated 2008/01/08: Bank assets: $992.1 mil, Deposits: $796.4 mil, headquarters in Lexington, KY, positive income, 34 total offices, Holding Company: Forcht Bancorp, Inc.
For population 15 years and over in Whitley City:
- Never married: 42.0%
- Now married: 19.2%
- Separated: 0.0%
- Widowed: 13.2%
- Divorced: 25.6%
For population 25 years and over in Whitley City:
- High school or higher: 57.4%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 5.2%
- Graduate or professional degree: 0.0%
- Unemployed: 17.6%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 21.9 minutes
Graphs represent county-level data. Detailed 2008 Election Results
Religion statistics for Whitley City, KY (based on McCreary County data)
Food Environment Statistics:
|McCreary County:||2.31 / 10,000 pop.|
|Kentucky:||2.19 / 10,000 pop.|
|McCreary County:||2.31 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||0.74 / 10,000 pop.|
|McCreary County:||7.52 / 10,000 pop.|
|Kentucky:||4.36 / 10,000 pop.|
|McCreary County:||4.63 / 10,000 pop.|
|Kentucky:||5.74 / 10,000 pop.|
Health and Nutrition:
More about Health and Nutrition of Whitley City, KY Residents
|Businesses in Whitley City, KY|
|Advance Auto Parts||1||Long John Silver's||1|
|Domino's Pizza||1||Rite Aid||1|
Strongest AM radio stations in Whitley City:
- WKVL (850 AM; daytime; 50 kW; KNOXVILLE, TN; Owner: HORNE RADIO, LLC)
- WEKC (710 AM; daytime; 4 kW; WILLIAMSBURG, KY; Owner: GERALD PARKS)
- WKDP (1330 AM; 5 kW; CORBIN, KY; Owner: EUBANKS BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WEZJ (1440 AM; 3 kW; WILLIAMSBURG, KY; Owner: WHITLEY BROADCASTING CO., INC.)
- WHAS (840 AM; 50 kW; LOUISVILLE, KY; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WSM (650 AM; 50 kW; NASHVILLE, TN; Owner: GAYLORD ENTERTAINMENT COMPANY)
- WQBB (1040 AM; daytime; 10 kW; POWELL, TN; Owner: JOURNAL BROADCAST CORPORATION)
- WWAM (820 AM; daytime; 50 kW; JASPER, TN; Owner: SHELTON BROADCASTING SYSTEM)
- WOCV (1310 AM; 1 kW; ONEIDA, TN; Owner: ONEIDA BROADCASTERS, INC.)
- WNOX (990 AM; 10 kW; KNOXVILLE, TN)
- WFLI (1070 AM; 50 kW; LOOKOUT MOUNTAIN, TN; Owner: WFLI, INC.)
- WECO (940 AM; 5 kW; WARTBURG, TN; Owner: MORGAN COUNTY B/CASTING CO.)
- WAMB (1160 AM; 50 kW; DONELSON, TN; Owner: GREAT SOUTHERN BROADCASTING COMPANY, INC.)
Strongest FM radio stations in Whitley City:
- WHAY (105.9 FM; WHITLEY CITY, KY; Owner: TIM LAVENDER)
- WEKX (102.7 FM; JELLICO, TN; Owner: WHITLEY BROADCASTING CO., INC.)
- WEZJ-FM (104.3 FM; WILLIAMSBURG, KY; Owner: WHITLEY BROADCASTING CO., INC.)
- WDVX (89.9 FM; CLINTON, TN; Owner: CUMBERLAND COMMUNITIES COMMUNI CORP.)
- WMKZ (93.1 FM; MONTICELLO, KY; Owner: MONTICELLO-WAYNE COUNTY MEDIA, INC.)
- WMIK-FM (92.7 FM; MIDDLESBORO, KY; Owner: GATEWAY BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WKYM (101.7 FM; MONTICELLO, KY; Owner: STEPHEN W. STAPLES JR.)
- WOKI-FM (100.3 FM; OAK RIDGE, TN; Owner: OAK RIDGE FM, INC.)
- WIMZ-FM (103.5 FM; KNOXVILLE, TN; Owner: SOUTH CENTRAL COMM., CORP.)
- WSEK (97.1 FM; SOMERSET, KY; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WKDP-FM (99.5 FM; CORBIN, KY; Owner: EUBANKS BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WCTT-FM (107.3 FM; CORBIN, KY; Owner: ENCORE COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- WTHL (90.5 FM; SOMERSET, KY; Owner: SOMERSET EDUCATIONAL BROADCASTING FOUNDATION)
- WYGE (92.3 FM; LONDON, KY; Owner: ETHEL HUFF BROADCASTING, LLC)
- WECO-FM (101.3 FM; WARTBURG, TN; Owner: MORGAN COUNTY BROADCASTING CO., INC.)
- WLLK (93.9 FM; BURNSIDE, KY; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WVCT (91.5 FM; KEAVY, KY; Owner: VICTORY TRAINING SCHOOL CORP.)
TV broadcast stations around Whitley City:
- WKSO-TV (Channel 29; SOMERSET, KY; Owner: KENTUCKY AUTHORITY FOR EDUCATIONAL TV)
- Whitley City, Kentucky
- Fatal accident count14
- Vehicles involved in fatal accidents23
- Fatal accidents involving drunk persons:4
- Persons involved in fatal accidents46
- Pedestrians involved in fatal accidents3
- Kentucky average
- Fatal accident count9628
- Vehicles involved in fatal accidents14566
- Fatal accidents involving drunk persons3127
- Persons involved in fatal accidents23752
- Pedestrians involved in fatal accidents869
- National Bridge Inventory (NBI) Statistics
- 9Number of bridges
- 82ft / 25.1mTotal length
- $3,299,000Total costs
- 28,916Total average daily traffic
- 2,406Total average daily truck traffic
2006 National Fire Incident Reporting System Incidents:
- Fire: 31
- Hazardous Condition: 2
See full 2006 National Fire Incident Reporting System statistics for Whitley City, KY
|Most common first names in Whitley City, KY among deceased individuals|
|Most common last names in Whitley City, KY among deceased individuals|
|Last name||Count||Lived (average)|
Whitley City compared to Kentucky state average:
- Median household income significantly below state average.
- Median house value significantly below state average.
- Black race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Median age below state average.
- Renting percentage above state average.
- Length of stay since moving in significantly above state average.
- Institutionalized population percentage significantly above state average.
- Number of college students below state average.
- Percentage of population with a bachelor's degree or higher significantly below state average.