We are giving away $1200 in prizes - enter simply by sending us your own city pictures!
|Median resident age:||52.0 years|
|Maine median age:||43.0 years|
Zip code: 04443
Estimated per capita income in 2013: $21,407 (it was $14,206 in 2000)
Estimated median house or condo value in 2013: $69,759 (it was $42,200 in 2000)
Mean prices in 2013: All housing units: $146,333; Detached houses: $158,409; Townhouses or other attached units: $192,170; In 2-unit structures: $150,318; In 3-to-4-unit structures: $86,534; In 5-or-more-unit structures: $328,038; Mobile homes: $49,046
Races in Willimantic, ME (2010)
- 14798.0%White alone
- 21.3%American Indian alone
- 10.7%Two or more races
Recent articles from our blog. Our writers, many of them Ph.D. graduates or candidates, create easy-to-read articles on a wide variety of topics.
- How Does the Presence of a Major Employer Affect Crime Rates? Feb 10
- Prosper default rate decreased in 2014 Feb 8
- How important is peer-to-peer loan diversification? Feb 6
- Where Do the Young and Old People Live, and How Has That Changed Over the Years? Feb 4
- Reasons for getting a Lending Club loan Feb 2
Latest news from Willimantic, ME collected exclusively by city-data.com from local newspapers, TV, and radio stations
Ancestries: French (27.4%), English (24.4%), Scottish (11.1%), Irish (8.1%), United States (7.4%), German (6.7%).
Current Local Time: EST time zone
Incorporated on 02/22/1881
Elevation: 395 feet
Land area: 43.5 square miles.
Population density: 3.4 people per square mile(very low).
For population 25 years and over in Willimantic:
- High school or higher: 67.3%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 16.3%
- Graduate or professional degree: 2.9%
- Unemployed: 12.9%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 18.0 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Willimantic town:
- Never married: 21.1%
- Now married: 53.7%
- Separated: 0.0%
- Widowed: 9.8%
- Divorced: 15.4%
3 residents are foreign born (2.2% Europe).
According to our research of Maine and other state lists there were 2 registered sex offenders living in Willimantic, Maine as of February 11, 2016.
The ratio of number of residents in Willimantic to the number of sex offenders is 64 to 1.
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units in 2000:
|Willimantic town:||0.8% ($338)|
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Portland, ME (121.5 miles , pop. 64,249).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: Boston, MA (223.2 miles , pop. 589,141).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: Bronx, NY (382.7 miles , pop. 1,332,650).
Nearest cities: Bowerbank, ME (2.5 miles) , Monson, ME (2.5 miles ), Abbot, ME (2.8 miles ), Guilford, ME (3.0 miles ), Dover-Foxcroft, ME (3.3 miles ), Parkman, ME (3.5 miles ), Shirley, ME (3.6 miles) , Sangerville, ME (3.6 miles ).
Single-family new house construction building permits:
- 1999: 1 building, cost: $40,000
- 2003: 1 building, cost: $60,000
- 2004: 1 building, cost: $60,000
- 2005: 1 building, cost: $60,000
- 2008: 2 buildings, average cost: $182,400
- 2009: 1 building, cost: $178,900
Number of permits per 10,000 residents
Average cost (in $1000s)
Latitude: 45.30 N, Longitude: 69.38 W
Area code commonly used in this area: 207
Unemployment by year (%)
- Agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting (20%)
- Furniture and related product manufacturing (17%)
- Wood products (10%)
- Arts, entertainment, and recreation (10%)
- Accommodation and food services (10%)
- Construction (7%)
- Furniture and home furnishings, and household appliance stores (7%)
- Data processing, libraries, and other information services (13%)
- Arts, entertainment, and recreation (13%)
- Accommodation and food services (13%)
- Public administration (13%)
- Textile mills and textile products (8%)
- Furniture and related product manufacturing (8%)
- Professional, scientific, and technical services (8%)
- Agricultural workers including supervisors (20%)
- Building and grounds cleaning and maintenance occupations (10%)
- Transportation, tourism, and lodging attendants (10%)
- Woodworkers (10%)
- Other production occupations including supervisors (10%)
- Law enforcement workers including supervisors (7%)
- Retail sales workers except cashiers (7%)
- Top executives (13%)
- Librarians, curators, and archivists (13%)
- Transportation, tourism, and lodging attendants (13%)
- Other teachers and instructors, education, training, and library occupations (8%)
- Nursing, psychiatric, and home health aides (8%)
- Building and grounds cleaning and maintenance occupations (8%)
- Supervisors and other personal care and service workers except personal appearance, transportation, and child care workers (8%)
Average climate in Willimantic, Maine
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Earthquake activity:Willimantic-area historical earthquake activity is near Maine state average. It is 93% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 4/20/2002 at 10:50:47, a magnitude 5.2 (5.2 MB, 4.2 MS, 5.2 MW, 5.0 MW, Depth: 6.8 mi, Class: Moderate, Intensity: VI - VII) earthquake occurred 219.9 miles away from the city center
On 10/7/1983 at 10:18:46, a magnitude 5.3 (5.1 MB, 5.3 LG, 5.1 ML) earthquake occurred 261.5 miles away from Willimantic center
On 1/19/1982 at 00:14:42, a magnitude 4.7 (4.5 MB, 4.7 MD, 4.5 LG, Class: Light, Intensity: IV - V) earthquake occurred 166.1 miles away from the city center
On 10/3/2006 at 00:07:38, a magnitude 4.3 (3.8 MB, 3.8 MW, 4.3 LG, Depth: 4.0 mi) earthquake occurred 89.8 miles away from the city center
On 2/26/1999 at 03:38:43, a magnitude 3.8 (3.8 LG, Depth: 2.0 mi, Class: Light, Intensity: II - III) earthquake occurred 57.3 miles away from Willimantic center
On 7/14/2006 at 09:34:49, a magnitude 4.0 (3.5 MW, 4.0 LG, Depth: 14.9 mi) earthquake occurred 117.1 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: regional Lg-wave magnitude (LG), body-wave magnitude (MB), duration magnitude (MD), local magnitude (ML), surface-wave magnitude (MS), moment magnitude (MW)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Piscataquis County (20) is a lot greater than the US average (12).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 14
Emergencies Declared: 6
Causes of natural disasters: Floods: 12, Storms: 11, Snows: 7, Heavy Rains: 2, Blizzard: 1, Ice Storm: 1, Landslide: 1, Snowfall: 1, Wind: 1, Winter Storm: 1, Other: 1 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Airports located in Willimantic:
- Two Falls Airport (Runways: 2)
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Willimantic:
- Husson University (about 44 miles; Bangor, ME; Full-time enrollment: 2,421)
- University of Maine (about 45 miles; Orono, ME; FT enrollment: 8,931)
- University of Maine at Farmington (about 58 miles; Farmington, ME; FT enrollment: 2,036)
- University of Maine at Augusta (about 70 miles; Augusta, ME; FT enrollment: 3,204)
- Saint Joseph's College of Maine (about 116 miles; Standish, ME; FT enrollment: 2,010)
- University of Southern Maine (about 122 miles; Portland, ME; FT enrollment: 6,647)
- Southern Maine Community College (about 122 miles; South Portland, ME; FT enrollment: 4,666)
Cemetery: Riverside Cemetery (1). Display/hide its location on the map
Lakes and swamps: Badger Pond (A), Big Benson Pond (B), Fourth Davis Pond (C), Garcock Pond (D), Grindstone Pond (E), Horseshoe Pond (F), Little Bennett Pond (G), Mud Greenwood Pond (H). Display/hide their locations on the map
Streams, rivers, and creeks: Badger Brook (A), Ship Pond Stream (B), Salmon Stream (C), Hathaway Brook (D), Grindstone Brook (E), Eighteen Pond Brook (F), Ledge Hill Brook (G), Monson Stream (H), Ice Cave Brook (I). Display/hide their locations on the map
Air pollution and air quality trends
(lower is better)
Air Quality Index (AQI) level in 2010 was 36.1. This is significantly better than average.
Ozone [ppb] level in 2001 was 28.8. This is about average. Closest monitor was 12.5 miles away from the city center.
Particulate Matter (PM2.5) [µg/m3] level in 2010 was 5.04. This is significantly better than average. Closest monitor was 15.2 miles away from the city center.
|This town:||2.2 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
Likely homosexual households (counted as self-reported same-sex unmarried-partner households)
- Lesbian couples: 0.0% of all households
- Gay men: 1.4% of all households
Residents with income below the poverty level in 2009:
Residents with income below 50% of the poverty level in 2009:
Willimantic compared to Maine state average:
- Median house value significantly below state average.
- Black race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Median age significantly above state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage significantly below state average.
- Renting percentage significantly below state average.
- Length of stay since moving in significantly above state average.
- Number of rooms per house significantly below state average.
- House age significantly below state average.
- Number of college students below state average.
Educational Attainment (%) in 2000
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2000
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Fuel oil, kerosene, etc. (53%)
- Wood (41%)
- Bottled, tank, or LP gas (5%)
Presidential Elections Results
Graphs represent county-level data. Detailed 2008 Election Results
Religion statistics for Willimantic town (based on Piscataquis County data)
Food Environment Statistics:
|Piscataquis County:||5.24 / 10,000 pop.|
|Maine:||2.80 / 10,000 pop.|
|Piscataquis County:||4.08 / 10,000 pop.|
|Maine:||2.20 / 10,000 pop.|
|Piscataquis County:||8.74 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||5.75 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||10.49 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||11.02 / 10,000 pop.|
5.65% of this county's 2011 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2010 ($33,622 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved from foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2010 and 2011:
|from Penobscot County, ME||2.00% ($26,472 average AGI)|
|from Somerset County, ME||0.36% ($34,864)|
|from Cumberland County, ME||0.28% ($48,588)|
6.17% of this county's 2010 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2011 ($27,622 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved to foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2010 and 2011:
Strongest AM radio stations in Willimantic:
- WSKW (1160 AM; 10 kW; SKOWHEGAN, ME; Owner: MOUNTAIN WIRELESS, INCORPORATED)
- WZON (620 AM; 5 kW; BANGOR, ME; Owner: THE ZONE CORPORATION)
- WABI (910 AM; 5 kW; BANGOR, ME; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WTME (780 AM; 10 kW; RUMFORD, ME; Owner: MOUNTAIN VALLEY BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WRKO (680 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: ENTERCOM BOSTON LICENSE, LLC)
- WCHP (760 AM; 35 kW; CHAMPLAIN, NY; Owner: CHAMPLAIN RADIO, INC.)
- WEEI (850 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: ENTERCOM BOSTON LICENSE, LLC)
- WNNZ (640 AM; 50 kW; WESTFIELD, MA; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WBZ (1030 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: INFINITY BROADCASTING OPERATIONS, INC.)
- WCRN (830 AM; 50 kW; WORCESTER, MA; Owner: CARTER BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WKOX (1200 AM; 50 kW; FRAMINGHAM, MA; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WALE (990 AM; 50 kW; GREENVILLE, RI; Owner: NORTH AMERICAN BROADCASTING CO., INC.)
- WGY (810 AM; 50 kW; SCHENECTADY, NY; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
Strongest FM radio stations in Willimantic:
- WQCB (106.5 FM; BREWER, ME; Owner: CUMULUS LICENSING CORP.)
- WDME-FM (103.1 FM; DOVER-FOXCROFT, ME; Owner: THE ZONE CORPORATION)
- WTOS-FM (105.1 FM; SKOWHEGAN, ME; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WGUY (102.1 FM; DEXTER, ME; Owner: CONCORD MEDIA GROUP, INC.)
- WVOM (103.9 FM; HOWLAND, ME; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WHCF (88.5 FM; BANGOR, ME; Owner: BANGOR BAPTIST CHURCH)
- WWBX (97.1 FM; BANGOR, ME; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
TV broadcast stations around Willimantic:
- W27CE (Channel 19; DOVER-FOXCROFT, ME; Owner: TRINITY BROADCASTING NETWORK)
FCC Registered Amateur Radio Licenses:1
- Call Sign: KB1ZQY, Licensee ID: L01779756
Grant Date: 04/09/2013, Expiration Date: 04/09/2023, Certifier: Thomas M Capraro
Registrant: Thomas M Capraro, 447 Sebec Lake Rd, Willimantic, ME 04443
FAA Registered Aircraft:2
- Aircraft: CESSNA 180D (Category: Land, Seats: 4, Weight: Up to 12,499 Pounds, Speed: 121 mph), Engine: CONT MOTOR O-470 SERIES (230 HP) (Reciprocating)
N-Number: 6266Y , Serial Number: 18051027, Year manufactured: 1961, Airworthiness Date: 10/01/1997
Registrant (Individual): Charles C Jr Feaga, 988 Sebec Lake Rd, Willimantic, ME 04443
- Aircraft: CESSNA 172I (Category: Land, Seats: 4, Weight: Up to 12,499 Pounds, Speed: 105 mph), Engine: LYCOMING 0-320 SERIES (180 HP) (Reciprocating)
N-Number: 8480L , Serial Number: 17256680, Year manufactured: 1968, Airworthiness Date: 04/19/1976
Registrant (Individual): Gerald E Packard, 995 Sebec Lake Rd, Willimantic, ME 04443