Windham: Hitchcock Hill Rd
Windham: Water fall during Hurricane Irene across the street from The Townshend Dam,Townshend Vt.
Windham: sunset behind our house on Burbee Pond Road,Winham,Vt.05359
Windham: Behind our house on Burbee Pond Road,Windham,Vt.
Submit your own pictures of this town and show them to the World
|Median resident age:||49.8 years|
|Vermont median age:||45.8 years|
Zip codes: 05359.
Estimated per capita income in 2013: $29,076 (it was $20,704 in 2000)
Windham town income, earnings, and wages data
Estimated median house or condo value in 2013: $231,573 (it was $125,000 in 2000)
Mean prices in 2013: All housing units: $237,863; Detached houses: $253,344; Townhouses or other attached units: $214,511; In 2-unit structures: $225,990; In 3-to-4-unit structures: $95,677; In 5-or-more-unit structures: $114,191; Mobile homes: $77,393
Races in Windham, VT (2010)
- 40696.9%White alone
- 61.4%Two or more races
- 20.5%Black alone
- 10.2%Asian alone
|Don't move to Vermont!!!! (50 replies)|
|Vermont Weather (2601 replies)|
|Homelessness in Southern VT (71 replies)|
|Vermont's future and the youth fleeing the state. (156 replies)|
|The COST of living in Vermont (108 replies)|
|Idealogy (5 replies)|
Latest news from Windham, VT collected exclusively by city-data.com from local newspapers, TV, and radio stations
Ancestries: English (21.0%), German (15.2%), Irish (13.4%), Italian (10.4%), United States (10.4%), French (8.5%).
Current Local Time: EST time zone
Elevation: 1966 feet
Land area: 26.1 square miles.
Population density: 16 people per square mile(very low).
For population 25 years and over in Windham:
- High school or higher: 85.5%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 33.8%
- Graduate or professional degree: 13.7%
- Unemployed: 4.8%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 24.2 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Windham town:
- Never married: 22.2%
- Now married: 64.8%
- Separated: 2.6%
- Widowed: 2.2%
- Divorced: 8.1%
8 residents are foreign born (2.4% Europe).
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units in 2000:
|Windham town:||1.8% ($2,295)|
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Albany, NY (64.3 miles , pop. 95,658).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: Boston, MA (101.8 miles , pop. 589,141).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: Bronx, NY (171.4 miles , pop. 1,332,650).
Nearest cities: Londonderry, VT (2.2 miles ), Jamaica, VT (2.4 miles ), Grafton, VT (2.5 miles ), Andover, VT (2.6 miles ), Athens, VT (2.8 miles ), Townshend, VT (3.0 miles ), Landgrove, VT (3.0 miles) , Chester-Chester Depot, VT (3.0 miles ).
Single-family new house construction building permits:
- 1997: 4 buildings, average cost: $91,700
- 1998: 3 buildings, average cost: $101,700
- 1999: 2 buildings, average cost: $109,200
- 2000: 1 building, cost: $118,000
- 2001: 4 buildings, average cost: $241,300
- 2002: 3 buildings, average cost: $200,000
- 2003: 14 buildings, average cost: $111,000
- 2004: 9 buildings, average cost: $167,200
- 2005: 5 buildings, average cost: $190,000
- 2006: 5 buildings, average cost: $145,000
- 2007: 4 buildings, average cost: $237,500
- 2008: 3 buildings, average cost: $237,500
- 2010: 3 buildings, average cost: $183,300
- 2011: 2 buildings, average cost: $200,000
- 2012: 2 buildings, average cost: $200,000
Number of permits per 10,000 residents
Average cost (in $1000s)
Latitude: 43.17 N, Longitude: 72.72 W
Area code commonly used in this area: 802
Unemployment by year (%)
- Construction (22%)
- Accommodation and food services (13%)
- Agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting (5%)
- Administrative and support and waste management services (5%)
- Nonmetallic mineral products (4%)
- Pharmacies and drug stores (4%)
- Educational services (4%)
- Educational services (22%)
- Health care (20%)
- Accommodation and food services (7%)
- Professional, scientific, and technical services (6%)
- Arts, entertainment, and recreation (6%)
- Agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting (3%)
- Department and other general merchandise stores (3%)
- Electrical equipment mechanics and other installation, maintenance, and repair occupations including supervisors (11%)
- Carpenters (10%)
- Building and grounds cleaning and maintenance occupations (9%)
- Other production occupations including supervisors (8%)
- Electricians (7%)
- Construction trades workers except carpenters, electricians, painters, plumbers, and construction laborers (7%)
- Woodworkers (7%)
- Other office and administrative support workers including supervisors (8%)
- Child care workers (7%)
- Retail sales workers except cashiers (7%)
- Entertainers and performers, sports, and related workers (6%)
- Registered nurses (6%)
- Therapists (6%)
- Building and grounds cleaning and maintenance occupations (6%)
Average climate in Windham, Vermont
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Windham-area historical tornado activity is significantly above Vermont state average. It is 44% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 8/20/1968, a category F3 (max. wind speeds 158-206 mph) tornado 6.4 miles away from the Windham town center injured one person and caused between $5000 and $50,000 in damages.
On 5/31/1998, a category F3 tornado 28.6 miles away from the town center injured 68 people and caused $71 million in damages.
Earthquake activity:Windham-area historical earthquake activity is near Vermont state average. It is 89% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 10/7/1983 at 10:18:46, a magnitude 5.3 (5.1 MB, 5.3 LG, 5.1 ML, Class: Moderate, Intensity: VI - VII) earthquake occurred 97.4 miles away from the city center
On 4/20/2002 at 10:50:47, a magnitude 5.2 (5.2 MB, 4.2 MS, 5.2 MW, 5.0 MW, Depth: 6.8 mi) earthquake occurred 103.5 miles away from Windham center
On 1/19/1982 at 00:14:42, a magnitude 4.7 (4.5 MB, 4.7 MD, 4.5 LG, Class: Light, Intensity: IV - V) earthquake occurred 60.9 miles away from the city center
On 4/20/2002 at 11:04:42, a magnitude 4.1 (4.1 LG, 3.7 ML, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 103.0 miles away from the city center
On 6/17/1991 at 08:53:16, a magnitude 4.1 (4.0 MB, 4.0 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 105.9 miles away from Windham center
On 4/20/2000 at 08:46:55, a magnitude 4.0 (4.0 LG, 3.8 ML, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 93.7 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: regional Lg-wave magnitude (LG), body-wave magnitude (MB), duration magnitude (MD), local magnitude (ML), surface-wave magnitude (MS), moment magnitude (MW)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Windham County (12) is near the US average (12).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 11
Emergencies Declared: 1
Causes of natural disasters: Floods: 9, Storms: 8, Landslide: 1, Snowstorm: 1, Tropical Storm: 1, Wind: 1, Winter Storm: 1 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Medal of Honor Recipients
Medal of Honor Recipient born in Windham: Charles G. Gould.
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Windham:
- Keene State College (about 29 miles; Keene, NH; Full-time enrollment: 5,098)
- Castleton State College (about 38 miles; Castleton, VT; FT enrollment: 2,079)
- Williams College (about 41 miles; Williamstown, MA; FT enrollment: 2,141)
- Dartmouth College (about 43 miles; Hanover, NH; FT enrollment: 6,030)
- Franklin Pierce University (about 44 miles; Rindge, NH; FT enrollment: 2,139)
- Adirondack Community College (about 49 miles; Queensbury, NY; FT enrollment: 2,826)
- SUNY Empire State College (about 54 miles; Saratoga Springs, NY; FT enrollment: 9,473)
Notable locations in Windham: Lawrence Four Corners (A), Tater Hill Ski Center (B), Tater Hill Golf Course (C), Windham Volunteer Fire and Rescue Company, Incorporated (D). Display/hide their locations on the map
Church in Windham: Windham Congregational Church (A). Display/hide its location on the map
Cemeteries: Woodburn Cemetery (1), Windham Center Cemetery (2), North Windham Cemetery (3), West Windham Cemetery (4). Display/hide their locations on the map
Reservoirs: Burbees Pond (A), Burbee Pond (B). Display/hide their locations on the map
Parks in Windham include: South Windham Village Historic District (1), Windham Village Historic District (2). Display/hide their locations on the map
Air pollution and air quality trends
(lower is better)
Air Quality Index (AQI) level in 2008 was 52.5. This is significantly better than average.
Sulfur Dioxide (SO2) [ppb] level in 2001 was 4.62. This is significantly worse than average. Closest monitor was 15.1 miles away from the city center.
Ozone [ppb] level in 2000 was 24.0. This is better than average. Closest monitor was 22.9 miles away from the city center.
Particulate Matter (PM10) [µg/m3] level in 2008 was 14.0. This is significantly better than average. Closest monitor was 21.5 miles away from the city center.
Particulate Matter (PM2.5) [µg/m3] level in 2008 was 8.44. This is about average. Closest monitor was 23.5 miles away from the city center.
Drinking water stations with addresses in Windham and their reported violations in the past:WINDHAM ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Address: 5940 WINDHAM HILL RD , Population served: 60, Groundwater):
Past monitoring violations:
- Follow-up Or Routine LCR Tap M/R - In JAN-01-1997, Contaminant: Lead and Copper Rule. Follow-up actions: St Violation/Reminder Notice (JUL-01-1997), St Compliance achieved (MAR-16-2011)
|This town:||2.2 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
Likely homosexual households (counted as self-reported same-sex unmarried-partner households)
- Lesbian couples: 0.5% of all households
- Gay men: 0.5% of all households
Residents with income below the poverty level in 2009:
Residents with income below 50% of the poverty level in 2009:
Windham compared to Vermont state average:
- Median house value below state average.
- Unemployed percentage significantly below state average.
- Black race population percentage below state average.
- Renting percentage significantly below state average.
- Length of stay since moving in significantly above state average.
- Number of rooms per house significantly below state average.
- House age significantly below state average.
- Number of college students significantly below state average.
Educational Attainment (%) in 2000
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2000
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Fuel oil, kerosene, etc. (53%)
- Wood (29%)
- Bottled, tank, or LP gas (14%)
- Electricity (3%)
- Solar energy (1%)
Presidential Elections Results
Graphs represent county-level data. Detailed 2008 Election Results
Religion statistics for Windham town (based on Windham County data)
Food Environment Statistics:
|Windham County:||4.14 / 10,000 pop.|
|Vermont:||3.84 / 10,000 pop.|
|Windham County:||1.38 / 10,000 pop.|
|Vermont:||1.95 / 10,000 pop.|
|Windham County:||7.37 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||6.40 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||18.87 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||11.52 / 10,000 pop.|
5.66% of this county's 2011 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2010 ($38,769 average adjusted gross income)
0.10% of residents moved from foreign countries ($168 average AGI)
Windham County: 0.10% Vermont average: 0.04%
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2010 and 2011:
|from Cheshire County, NH||0.65% ($30,754 average AGI)|
|from Windsor County, VT||0.47% ($25,261)|
|from Franklin County, MA||0.22% ($38,415)|
6.42% of this county's 2010 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2011 ($32,600 average adjusted gross income)
0.08% of residents moved to foreign countries ($193 average AGI)
Windham County: 0.08% Vermont average: 0.06%
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2010 and 2011:
Strongest AM radio stations in Windham:
- WNBX (1480 AM; 5 kW; SPRINGFIELD, VT)
- WNNZ (640 AM; 50 kW; WESTFIELD, MA; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WGY (810 AM; 50 kW; SCHENECTADY, NY; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WNTK (1020 AM; 10 kW; NEWPORT, NH; Owner: KOOR COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- WCRN (830 AM; 50 kW; WORCESTER, MA; Owner: CARTER BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WRKO (680 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: ENTERCOM BOSTON LICENSE, LLC)
- WPTR (1540 AM; 50 kW; ALBANY, NY; Owner: KIMTRON, INC.)
- WEEI (850 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: ENTERCOM BOSTON LICENSE, LLC)
- WVNE (760 AM; daytime; 25 kW; LEICESTER, MA; Owner: BLOUNT MASSCOM, INC.)
- WKBK (1290 AM; 5 kW; KEENE, NH; Owner: SAGA COMMUNICATIONS OF NEW ENGLAND, LLC)
- WKOX (1200 AM; 50 kW; FRAMINGHAM, MA; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WTIC (1080 AM; 50 kW; HARTFORD, CT; Owner: INFINITY RADIO OPERATIONS INC.)
- WALE (990 AM; 50 kW; GREENVILLE, RI; Owner: NORTH AMERICAN BROADCASTING CO., INC.)
Strongest FM radio stations in Windham:
- WEQX (102.7 FM; MANCHESTER, VT; Owner: NORTHSHIRE COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- WJAN (95.1 FM; SUNDERLAND, VT; Owner: 6 JOHNSON ROAD LICENSES, INC.)
- WVPR (89.5 FM; WINDSOR, VT; Owner: VERMONT PUBLIC RADIO)
- WVAY (100.7 FM; WILMINGTON, VT; Owner: GREAT NORTHERN RADIO, L.L.C.)
- WHDQ (106.1 FM; CLAREMONT, NH; Owner: GREAT NORTHERN RADIO, L.L.C.)
- WJJR (98.1 FM; RUTLAND, VT; Owner: 6 JOHNSON ROAD LICENSES, INC.)
- WZRT (97.1 FM; RUTLAND, VT; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WCFR-FM (96.3 FM; WALPOLE, NH; Owner: GREAT NORTHERN RADIO, LLC)
- WEBK (105.3 FM; KILLINGTON, VT; Owner: 6 JOHNSON ROAD LICENSES, INC.)
- WGLV (91.7 FM; WOODSTOCK, VT; Owner: CHRISTIAN MINISTRIES INC)
- WHDQ-FM1 (106.1 FM; RUTLAND, VT; Owner: GREAT NORTHERN RADIO, L.L.C.)
- WCMK (91.9 FM; PUTNEY, VT; Owner: CHRISTIAN MINISTRIES INC)
- WKNE (103.7 FM; KEENE, NH; Owner: SAGA COMMUNICATIONS OF NEW ENGLAND, LLC)
- WEVN (90.7 FM; KEENE, NH; Owner: NEW HAMPSHIRE PUBLIC RADIO, INC.)
- WVRR (101.7 FM; NEWPORT, NH; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WAMC-FM (90.3 FM; ALBANY, NY; Owner: WAMC)
- WKVT-FM (92.7 FM; BRATTLEBORO, VT; Owner: SAGA COMMUNICATIONS OF NEW ENGLAND, LLC)
- WRSY (101.5 FM; MARLBORO, VT; Owner: GREAT NORTHERN RADIO, L.L.C.)
- WXKK (93.5 FM; SPRINGFIELD, VT; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WZSH (107.1 FM; BELLOWS FALLS, VT; Owner: GREAT NORTHERN RADIO, L.L.C.)
TV broadcast stations around Windham:
- WEKW-TV (Channel 52; KEENE, NH; Owner: UNIVERSITY OF NEW HAMPSHIRE)
- WVTA (Channel 41; WINDSOR, VT; Owner: VERMONT ETV, INC.)
Windham fatal accident list:
Sep 8, 1989 03:50 PM, Fas 123, Vehicles: 2, Persons: 2, Fatalities: 1, Drunken persons involved: 1
Apr 16, 1977 12:00 PM, Vehicles: 1, Persons: 1, Fatalities: 1, Drunken persons involved: 1
- National Bridge Inventory (NBI) Statistics
- 8Number of bridges
- 8m26ftTotal length
- $463,000Total costs
- 1,250Total average daily traffic
- 70Total average daily truck traffic
- 1,752Total future (year 2015) average daily traffic
FCC Registered Private Land Mobile Towers:2
- 1 Mi N On Dirt Rd From Jct 121 At Lawrence Four Corners (Lat: 43.212028 Lon: -72.720639), Call Sign: WXQ935
Assigned Frequencies: 154.145 MHz
Grant Date: 06/05/2003, Expiration Date: 08/24/2013
Registrant: Fire Chief, 412 Horsenail Hill Rd., North Windham, VT 05143, Phone: (802) 875-3740, Email:
- Town Office (Lat: 43.225917 Lon: -72.723972), Call Sign: KOM485
Assigned Frequencies: 155.955 MHz
Grant Date: 12/14/2012, Expiration Date: 03/10/2023
Registrant: Noe Electronics, 187 Banning Road, Putney, VT 05346, Phone: (802) 387-4666, Email:
2006 National Fire Incident Reporting System Incidents:
- Fire: 2
- Hazardous Condition: 2