|Median resident age:||46.4 years|
|Maine median age:||43.0 years|
Zip codes: 04495.
Winn town income, earnings, and wages data
Estimated median house or condo value in 2012: $89,718 (it was $51,400 in 2000)
- White alone - 399 (98.0%)
- Two or more races - 6 (1.5%)
- Black alone - 1 (0.2%)
- Hispanic - 1 (0.2%)
|Northwest Maine - what's up with it? (93 replies)|
|Ice Storm (51 replies)|
|Best Woodland ATV Rides (16 replies)|
|Potholes, Frost Heaves and Craters (38 replies)|
|New map with 6,000 miles of ATV trails in Maine (17 replies)|
|Help Buying a House? (197 replies)|
Latest news from Winn, ME collected exclusively by city-data.com from local newspapers, TV, and radio stations
Ancestries: English (20.2%), United States (15.2%), Irish (13.1%), French (10.7%), French Canadian (4.5%), Scotch-Irish (3.6%).
Current Local Time: EST time zone
Incorporated on 03/21/1857
Elevation: 250 feet
Land area: 44.1 square miles.
Population density: 9.2 people per square mile(very low).
For population 25 years and over in Winn:
- High school or higher: 73.5%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 8.2%
- Graduate or professional degree: 3.3%
- Unemployed: 3.7%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 25.3 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Winn town:
- Never married: 15.9%
- Now married: 69.2%
- Separated: 0.6%
- Widowed: 6.9%
- Divorced: 7.5%
6 residents are foreign born
According to our research of Maine and other state lists there were 2 registered sex offenders living in Winn, Maine as of March 06, 2015.
The ratio of number of residents in Winn to the number of sex offenders is 197 to 1.
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units in 2000:
|Winn town:||1.0% ($534)|
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Portland, ME (157.5 miles , pop. 64,249).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: Boston, MA (257.9 miles , pop. 589,141).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: Bronx, NY (424.8 miles , pop. 1,332,650).
Nearest cities: Mattawamkeag, ME (1.6 miles ), Woodville, ME (2.2 miles ), Lee, ME (3.0 miles ), Chester, ME (3.1 miles ), Springfield, ME (3.2 miles ), Lincoln, ME (3.3 miles ), Medway, ME (3.5 miles ), Burlington, ME (3.6 miles ).
Single-family new house construction building permits:
- 1997: 1 building, cost: $45,000
- 1998: 1 building, cost: $45,000
Latitude: 45.48 N, Longitude: 68.34 W
Area code commonly used in this area: 207
Unemployment by year (%)
- Paper (21%)
- Agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting (17%)
- Construction (16%)
- Truck transportation (14%)
- Public administration (7%)
- Repair and maintenance (6%)
- Building material and garden equipment and supplies dealers (3%)
- Educational services (23%)
- Food and beverage stores (17%)
- Accommodation and food services (11%)
- Health care (9%)
- Public administration (9%)
- Department and other general merchandise stores (6%)
- Petroleum and petroleum products merchant wholesalers (4%)
- Driver/sales workers and truck drivers (21%)
- Vehicle and mobile equipment mechanics, installers, and repairers (8%)
- Other production occupations including supervisors (7%)
- Fishing and hunting, and forest and logging workers (6%)
- Laborers and material movers, hand (5%)
- Computer specialists (3%)
- Secondary school teachers (3%)
- Preschool, kindergarten, elementary and middle school teachers (14%)
- Cashiers (14%)
- Other food preparation and serving workers including supervisors (10%)
- Information and record clerks except customer service representatives (9%)
- Registered nurses (7%)
- Other management occupations except farmers and farm managers (6%)
- Nursing, psychiatric, and home health aides (6%)
Average climate in Winn, Maine
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Earthquake activity:Winn-area historical earthquake activity is slightly below Maine state average. It is 94% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 10/3/2006 at 00:07:38, a magnitude 4.3 (3.8 MB, 3.8 MW, 4.3 LG, Depth: 4.0 mi, Class: Light, Intensity: IV - V) earthquake occurred 79.2 miles away from the city center
On 4/20/2002 at 10:50:47, a magnitude 5.2 (5.2 MB, 4.2 MS, 5.2 MW, 5.0 MW, Depth: 6.8 mi, Class: Moderate, Intensity: VI - VII) earthquake occurred 271.8 miles away from Winn center
On 10/7/1983 at 10:18:46, a magnitude 5.3 (5.1 MB, 5.3 LG, 5.1 ML) earthquake occurred 313.2 miles away from the city center
On 1/19/1982 at 00:14:42, a magnitude 4.7 (4.5 MB, 4.7 MD, 4.5 LG) earthquake occurred 211.2 miles away from the city center
On 9/16/1994 at 04:22:42, a magnitude 3.6 (3.6 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi, Class: Light, Intensity: II - III) earthquake occurred 13.5 miles away from Winn center
On 9/16/1994 at 07:01:54, a magnitude 3.6 (3.5 LG, 3.6 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 14.4 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: regional Lg-wave magnitude (LG), body-wave magnitude (MB), duration magnitude (MD), local magnitude (ML), surface-wave magnitude (MS), moment magnitude (MW)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Penobscot County (17) is greater than the US average (12).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 10
Emergencies Declared: 7
Causes of natural disasters: Floods: 8, Storms: 7, Snows: 5, Heavy Rains: 2, Blizzard: 1, Hurricane: 1, Ice Storm: 1, Snowfall: 1, Wind: 1, Winter Storm: 1, Other: 1 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Winn:
- University of Maine (about 44 miles; Orono, ME; Full-time enrollment: 8,931)
- Husson University (about 51 miles; Bangor, ME; FT enrollment: 2,421)
- University of Maine at Farmington (about 105 miles; Farmington, ME; FT enrollment: 2,036)
- University of Maine at Augusta (about 107 miles; Augusta, ME; FT enrollment: 3,204)
- Saint Joseph's College of Maine (about 156 miles; Standish, ME; FT enrollment: 2,010)
- Southern Maine Community College (about 158 miles; South Portland, ME; FT enrollment: 4,666)
- University of Southern Maine (about 158 miles; Portland, ME; FT enrollment: 6,647)
Public elementary/middle school in Winn:
- Lee/Winn School (Location: 1009 ROUTE 168; Grades: K-5)
Cemeteries: South Winn Cemetery (1), East Winn Cemetery (2), Snow Cemetery (3). Display/hide their locations on the map
Lakes and swamps: Dwinal Pond (A), Contrary Brook Bog (B). Display/hide their locations on the map
Streams, rivers, and creeks: Little Gordon Brook (A), Salmon Stream (B), Flowers Brook (C), Mattakeunk Stream (D), Houston Brook (E), Contrary Brook (F), Potter Brook (G). Display/hide their locations on the map
|This town:||2.3 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
Likely homosexual households (counted as self-reported same-sex unmarried-partner households)
- Lesbian couples: 0.6% of all households
- Gay men: 0.0% of all households
Residents with income below the poverty level in 2009:
Residents with income below 50% of the poverty level in 2009:
Winn compared to Maine state average:
- Median house value significantly below state average.
- Unemployed percentage below state average.
- Black race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage significantly below state average.
- Renting percentage significantly below state average.
- Length of stay since moving in significantly above state average.
- Number of rooms per house significantly below state average.
- House age significantly below state average.
- Number of college students below state average.
- Percentage of population with a bachelor's degree or higher significantly below state average.
Educational Attainment (%) in 2000
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2000
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Fuel oil, kerosene, etc. (77%)
- Wood (21%)
- Electricity (2%)
Presidential Elections Results
1996 Presidential Elections Results
2000 Presidential Elections Results
2004 Presidential Elections Results
2008 Presidential Elections Results
2012 Presidential Elections Results
Graphs represent county-level data. Detailed 2008 Election Results
Religion statistics for Winn town (based on Penobscot County data)Percentage of population affiliated with a religious congregations: 33.68%
Breakdown of population affiliated with a religious congregations
|Name||Catholic Church||United Methodist Church||United Church of Christ||American Baptist Churches in the USA||Episcopal Church|
|Name||Non-Charismatic Churches Independent||National Association of Congregational Christian Churches||Jewish||LDS (Mormon) Church||Other|
Tables represent county-level data.
Food Environment Statistics:
|Penobscot County:||2.29 / 10,000 pop.|
|Maine:||2.80 / 10,000 pop.|
|This county:||0.13 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||0.14 / 10,000 pop.|
|Penobscot County:||2.56 / 10,000 pop.|
|Maine:||2.20 / 10,000 pop.|
|Penobscot County:||5.72 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||5.75 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||7.41 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||11.02 / 10,000 pop.|
4.81% of this county's 2011 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2010 ($34,478 average adjusted gross income)
0.04% of residents moved from foreign countries ($304 average AGI)
Penobscot County: 0.04% Maine average: 0.04%
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2010 and 2011:
|from Hancock County, ME||0.44% ($29,886 average AGI)|
|from Cumberland County, ME||0.34% ($36,835)|
|from Aroostook County, ME||0.32% ($29,433)|
5.52% of this county's 2010 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2011 ($36,804 average adjusted gross income)
0.03% of residents moved to foreign countries ($387 average AGI)
Penobscot County: 0.03% Maine average: 0.05%
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2010 and 2011:
Strongest AM radio stations in Winn:
- WZON (620 AM; 5 kW; BANGOR, ME; Owner: THE ZONE CORPORATION)
- WABI (910 AM; 5 kW; BANGOR, ME; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WREM (710 AM; daytime; 5 kW; MONTICELLO, ME; Owner: ALLAN H WEINER)
- WSYY (1240 AM; 1 kW; MILLINOCKET, ME; Owner: KATAHDIN BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WSKW (1160 AM; 10 kW; SKOWHEGAN, ME; Owner: MOUNTAIN WIRELESS, INCORPORATED)
- WRKO (680 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: ENTERCOM BOSTON LICENSE, LLC)
- WEEI (850 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: ENTERCOM BOSTON LICENSE, LLC)
- WFST (600 AM; 5 kW; CARIBOU, ME; Owner: NORTHERN BROADCAST MINISTRIES, INC.)
- WTME (780 AM; 10 kW; RUMFORD, ME; Owner: MOUNTAIN VALLEY BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WDEA (1370 AM; 5 kW; ELLSWORTH, ME; Owner: CUMULUS LICENSING CORP.)
- WBZ (1030 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: INFINITY BROADCASTING OPERATIONS, INC.)
- WNNZ (640 AM; 50 kW; WESTFIELD, MA; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WCRN (830 AM; 50 kW; WORCESTER, MA; Owner: CARTER BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
Strongest FM radio stations in Winn:
- WHCF (88.5 FM; BANGOR, ME; Owner: BANGOR BAPTIST CHURCH)
- WVOM (103.9 FM; HOWLAND, ME; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WHMX (105.7 FM; LINCOLN, ME; Owner: BANGOR BAPTIST CHURCH)
- WSYY-FM (94.9 FM; MILLINOCKET, ME; Owner: KATAHDIN COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
TV broadcast stations around Winn:
- W34CN (Channel 34; MEDWAY, ME; Owner: TRINITY BROADCASTING NETWORK)
Winn fatal accident list:
Jul 23, 1995 04:30 PM, Oldmilitar, Vehicles: 1, Persons: 1, Fatalities: 1
Total length: 0 meters
Total average daily traffic: 30
Total average daily truck traffic: 1
Total future (year 2031) average daily traffic: 45
2006 National Fire Incident Reporting System Incidents:
- Fire: 1