Winterset: Birthplace of John Wayne (born Marion Morrison)
Winterset: Holliwell Bridge - Featured in "Bridges of Madison County" movie
Winterset: Clark Tower in Winterset City Park
Winterset: Winterset's Beautiful Court House
Winterset: Madison County Courthouse 2003
Winterset: POST OFFICE
Winterset: Downtown Winterset
Submit your own pictures of this city and show them to the World
|Median resident age:||43.2 years|
|Iowa median age:||38.1 years|
Zip codes: 50273.
Estimated per capita income in 2015: $22,944 (it was $17,274 in 2000)
Winterset city income, earnings, and wages data
Estimated median house or condo value in 2015: $145,791 (it was $84,800 in 2000)
Median gross rent in 2015: $839.
Races in Winterset, IA (2010)
- 5,01496.6%White alone
- 310.6%Two or more races
- 200.4%Asian alone
- 90.2%Black alone
- 100.2%American Indian alone
Recent articles from our blog. Our writers, many of them Ph.D. graduates or candidates, create easy-to-read articles on a wide variety of topics.
- The fastest-growing industry sectors in the Northeast are Construction-related Apr 25
- The decline of the U.S. Agriculture industry visualized Apr 23
- The revenues and net sales of Samsonite Apr 21
- Crowfunding is a fast-increasing market Apr 19
- The number of jobs in Construction is falling across the U.S. Apr 17
|Places around Des Moines with a rural feel. (5 replies)|
|Possible move from NH to IA (13 replies)|
|Who carries Sauder Furniture? Inexpensive end tables? (18 replies)|
|visiting des moines, iowa (10 replies)|
|Interested in moving to Winterset Area (3 replies)|
|Des Moines and surrounding towns questions and special education services (10 replies)|
Latest news from Winterset, IA collected exclusively by city-data.com from local newspapers, TV, and radio stations
Ancestries: German (31.6%), American (8.9%), Irish (8.8%), Danish (8.7%), English (7.5%), Italian (4.1%).
Current Local Time: CST time zone
Incorporated on 01/16/1857
Elevation: 1125 feet
Land area: 3.51 square miles.
Population density: 1,464 people per square mile(low).
For population 25 years and over in Winterset:
- High school or higher: 91.8%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 14.9%
- Graduate or professional degree: 4.7%
- Unemployed: 6.8%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 23.0 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Winterset city:
- Never married: 22.5%
- Now married: 54.7%
- Separated: 2.5%
- Widowed: 9.1%
- Divorced: 11.1%
158 residents are foreign born (1.5% Latin America).
According to our research of Iowa and other state lists there were 12 registered sex offenders living in Winterset, Iowa as of April 25, 2017.
The ratio of number of residents in Winterset to the number of sex offenders is 432 to 1.
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units with mortgages in 2015: $3,030 (1.8%)
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units with no mortgage in 2015: $2,384 (1.8%)
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Des Moines, IA (27.0 miles , pop. 198,682).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: Omaha, NE (104.0 miles , pop. 390,007).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: Chicago, IL (329.5 miles , pop. 2,896,016).
Nearest cities: Patterson, IA (2.6 miles) , East Peru, IA (3.0 miles) , St. Charles, IA (3.3 miles ), Bevington, IA (3.4 miles) , Macksburg, IA (3.5 miles) , Earlham, IA (3.5 miles ), Truro, IA (3.5 miles ), De Soto, IA (3.7 miles ).
Single-family new house construction building permits:
- 1997: 13 buildings, average cost: $112,700
- 1998: 17 buildings, average cost: $112,100
- 1999: 24 buildings, average cost: $124,700
- 2000: 17 buildings, average cost: $127,700
- 2001: 26 buildings, average cost: $103,400
- 2002: 11 buildings, average cost: $119,500
- 2003: 20 buildings, average cost: $164,000
- 2004: 27 buildings, average cost: $158,600
- 2005: 21 buildings, average cost: $175,000
- 2006: 16 buildings, average cost: $157,800
- 2007: 24 buildings, average cost: $185,600
- 2008: 19 buildings, average cost: $174,200
- 2009: 8 buildings, average cost: $178,300
- 2010: 3 buildings, average cost: $150,700
- 2011: 8 buildings, average cost: $143,100
- 2012: 13 buildings, average cost: $186,300
- 2013: 17 buildings, average cost: $169,800
- 2014: 12 buildings, average cost: $207,100
Number of permits per 10,000 residents
Average cost (in $1000s)
Latitude: 41.34 N, Longitude: 94.01 W
Area code: 515
|Crime rates in Winterset by Year|
|City-data.com crime index (higher means more crime, U.S. average = 276.5)||66.0||136.0||119.7||105.2||97.8||163.1||234.1||184.6||156.2||163.5||170.7||150.8|
(click on a table row to update graph)
Crime rate in Winterset detailed stats: murders, rapes, robberies, assaults, burglaries, thefts, arson
|Officers per 1,000 residents here:||1.56|
Unemployment by year (%)
Historical housing units
Population change in the 1990s: +292 (+6.5%).
- Accommodation and food services (15%)
- Manufacturing (11%)
- Retail trade (10%)
- Health care and social assistance (8%)
- Educational services (8%)
- Transportation and warehousing (7%)
- Public administration (7%)
- Health care and social assistance (30%)
- Retail trade (18%)
- Accommodation and food services (13%)
- Educational services (12%)
- Finance and insurance (9%)
- Transportation and warehousing (4%)
- Public administration (3%)
- Food preparation and serving related occupations (13%)
- Management occupations (11%)
- Sales and related occupations (11%)
- Transportation occupations (9%)
- Installation, maintenance, and repair occupations (8%)
- Production occupations (8%)
- Office and administrative support occupations (7%)
- Office and administrative support occupations (23%)
- Food preparation and serving related occupations (12%)
- Sales and related occupations (10%)
- Healthcare support occupations (10%)
- Management occupations (9%)
- Health technologists and technicians (9%)
- Education, training, and library occupations (5%)
Average climate in Winterset, Iowa
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Winterset-area historical tornado activity is near Iowa state average. It is 99% greater than the overall U.S. average.
On 6/27/1953, a category F5 (max. wind speeds 261-318 mph) tornado 36.5 miles away from the Winterset city center killed one person and injured 2 people and caused between $50,000 and $500,000 in damages.
On 4/8/1999, a category F4 (max. wind speeds 207-260 mph) tornado 25.7 miles away from the city center injured 3 people and caused $3 million in damages.
Earthquake activity:Winterset-area historical earthquake activity is near Iowa state average. It is 80% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 4/18/2008 at 09:36:59, a magnitude 5.4 (5.1 MB, 4.8 MS, 5.4 MW, 5.2 MW, Depth: 8.9 mi, Class: Moderate, Intensity: VI - VII) earthquake occurred 381.4 miles away from the city center
On 6/10/1987 at 23:48:54, a magnitude 5.1 (4.9 MB, 4.4 MS, 4.6 MS, 5.1 LG) earthquake occurred 367.9 miles away from Winterset center
On 7/16/2004 at 12:17:30, a magnitude 3.5 (3.5 MW, 3.3 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi, Class: Light, Intensity: II - III) earthquake occurred 93.7 miles away from the city center
On 9/26/1990 at 13:18:51, a magnitude 5.0 (4.7 MB, 4.8 LG, 5.0 LG, Depth: 7.7 mi) earthquake occurred 375.0 miles away from the city center
On 7/9/1975 at 14:54:15, a magnitude 4.6 (4.6 MB, Class: Light, Intensity: IV - V) earthquake occurred 316.5 miles away from Winterset center
On 11/3/2002 at 20:41:56, a magnitude 4.3 (4.3 MB, 4.3 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 269.5 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: regional Lg-wave magnitude (LG), body-wave magnitude (MB), surface-wave magnitude (MS), moment magnitude (MW)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Madison County (16) is greater than the US average (13).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 15
Emergencies Declared: 1
Causes of natural disasters: Floods: 11, Storms: 10, Tornadoes: 4, Winter Storms: 2, Hurricane: 1, Ice Storm: 1, Snow: 1 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Birthplace of: John Wayne - (1907-1979), actor, Fred Clarke - Baseball player and coach, Donna Nalewaja - Politician, Elden Benge - Trumpet player and manufacturer, John Neal - College basketball player (Iowa State Cyclones), Ralph McKinzie - Football.
Hospitals and medical centers in Winterset:
airports located in Winterset:
- Winterset Municipal Airport (3Y3) (Runways: 1, Itinerant Ops: 2,456, Local Ops: 2,294)
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Winterset:
- Drake University (about 27 miles; Des Moines, IA; Full-time enrollment: 3,768)
- Des Moines Area Community College (about 34 miles; Ankeny, IA; FT enrollment: 15,337)
- Iowa State University (about 52 miles; Ames, IA; FT enrollment: 28,662)
- Iowa Central Community College (about 81 miles; Fort Dodge, IA; FT enrollment: 4,682)
- Northwest Missouri State University (about 82 miles; Maryville, MO; FT enrollment: 5,946)
- Indian Hills Community College (about 87 miles; Ottumwa, IA; FT enrollment: 4,034)
- Iowa Western Community College (about 93 miles; Council Bluffs, IA; FT enrollment: 5,344)
Public high schools in Winterset:
- WINTERSET SENIOR HIGH SCHOOL (Students: 501, Location: 624 HUSKY DR, Grades: 9-12)
- WINTERSET BRIDGES SCHOOL (Location: 624 HUSKY DR, Grades: 9-12)
Public elementary/middle schools in Winterset:
Notable locations in Winterset: B B and P Feed and Grain Incorporated Elevator (A), Farmers Cooperative Elevator (B), John Wayne Birthplace (C), Bevington-Kaser House and Prairie Village Historical Complex (D), Winterset City Park Campground (E), Madison County Ambulance (F), Winterset City Hall (G), Madison County Courthouse (H), Madison County Sheriffs Office (I), Winterset Police Department (J), Winterset Fire Department (K), Winterset Public Library (L). Display/hide their locations on the map
Churches in Winterset include: Trinity Episcopal Church (A), First Christian Church (B), First United Presbyterian Church (C), Saint Josephs Catholic Church (D), Grace Baptist Church (E), Church of the Nazarene (F), Seventh Day Adventist Church (G), Foursquare Gospel Church (H), First United Methodist Church (I). Display/hide their locations on the map
Cemetery: Winterset Cemetery (1). Display/hide its location on the map
Parks in Winterset include: Discovery of the Delicious Apple Historical Marker (1), Tribute to Madison County First Settler Historical Marker (2), Monument Park (3), George Washington Carver Memorial Park (4), Memory Lane Park (5), Giffin Fields (6), Whistle Stop Park (7), Winterset City Park (8). Display/hide their locations on the map
Tourist attractions: Madison County Historical Society (Museums; 815 South 2nd Street), Birthplace of John Wayne (Museums; 216 South 2nd Street), National Ballooning Limited (2902 200th Trail).
Hotels: Village View Motel JCT (92 And 169), Super 8 Motel (1312 North 10th Street).
Court: Counties Of-Iowa - Judge Of District Court- Clerk Of District Court- Madison County- Magist (Courthouse).
Air pollution and air quality trends
(lower is better)
Air Quality Index (AQI) level in 2013 was 58.2. This is better than average.
Ozone [ppb] level in 2013 was 31.6. This is about average. Closest monitor was 0.5 miles away from the city center.
Particulate Matter (PM10) [µg/m3] level in 2013 was 18.0. This is about average. Closest monitor was 23.1 miles away from the city center.
Particulate Matter (PM2.5) [µg/m3] level in 2013 was 9.02. This is about average. Closest monitor was 23.1 miles away from the city center.
(11.9% for White Non-Hispanic residents)
|This city:||2.4 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
Likely homosexual households (counted as self-reported same-sex unmarried-partner households)
- Lesbian couples: 0.3% of all households
- Gay men: 0.3% of all households
People in group quarters in Winterset in 2010:
- 175 people in nursing facilities/skilled-nursing facilities
- 9 people in group homes intended for adults
- 8 people in local jails and other municipal confinement facilities
People in group quarters in Winterset in 2000:
- 253 people in nursing homes
- 10 people in local jails and other confinement facilities (including police lockups)
- 10 people in other nonhousehold living situations
Banks with branches in Winterset (2011 data):
- Union State Bank: at 201 West Court Avenue, branch established on 1935/01/02; Winterset Branch at 615 East Highway 92, branch established on 1992/08/10. Info updated 2006/11/03: Bank assets: $72.4 mil, Deposits: $62.7 mil, local headquarters, positive income, 4 total offices, Holding Company: Madison Holding Company
- Farmers and Merchants State Bank: Motor Branch at 722 North First Street, branch established on 1980/04/28; Farmers And Merchants State Bank at 101 West Jefferson, branch established on 1938/08/11. Info updated 2006/11/03: Bank assets: $173.6 mil, Deposits: $145.7 mil, local headquarters, positive income, Agricultural Specialization, 4 total offices, Holding Company: Farmers & Merchants Bancorp.
- Exchange State Bank: South John Wayne Drive Branch at 113 South John Wayne Drive, branch established on 1998/02/13. Info updated 2006/11/03: Bank assets: $41.4 mil, Deposits: $31.7 mil, headquarters in Adair, IA, positive income, Agricultural Specialization, 2 total offices, Holding Company: Exchange Financial, Inc.
Educational Attainment (%) in 2015
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2015
Presidential Elections Results
Graphs represent county-level data. Detailed 2008 Election Results
Religion statistics for Winterset city (based on Madison County data)
Food Environment Statistics:
|Madison County:||1.30 / 10,000 pop.|
|Iowa:||2.14 / 10,000 pop.|
|Madison County:||5.20 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||5.55 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||5.85 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||8.01 / 10,000 pop.|
Health and Nutrition:
More about Health and Nutrition of Winterset, IA Residents
|Local government employment and payroll (March 2012)|
|Function||Full-time employees||Monthly full-time payroll||Average yearly full-time wage||Part-time employees||Monthly part-time payroll|
|Other Government Administration||5||$25,448||$61,075||6||$750|
|Police Protection - Officers||8||$33,569||$50,354||0||$0|
|Streets and Highways||4||$14,254||$42,762||0||$0|
|Parks and Recreation||3||$11,103||$44,412||4||$3,957|
|Totals for Government||39||$165,987||$51,073||35||$9,354|
Winterset government finances - Expenditure in 2006 (per resident):
- Construction - Parks and Recreation: $2,649,000 ($515.27)
General - Other: $786,000 ($152.89)
Regular Highways: $505,000 ($98.23)
Sewerage: $153,000 ($29.76)
- Current Operations - Electric Utilities: $3,043,000 ($591.91)
Water Utilities: $710,000 ($138.11)
Police Protection: $580,000 ($112.82)
Regular Highways: $455,000 ($88.50)
General - Other: $417,000 ($81.11)
Parks and Recreation: $385,000 ($74.89)
Libraries: $353,000 ($68.66)
Sewerage: $331,000 ($64.38)
Financial Administration: $179,000 ($34.82)
Local Fire Protection: $50,000 ($9.73)
General Public Buildings: $38,000 ($7.39)
Air Transportation: $36,000 ($7.00)
Protective Inspection and Regulation, NEC: $25,000 ($4.86)
Miscellaneous Commercial Activities, NEC: $20,000 ($3.89)
Solid Waste Management: $18,000 ($3.50)
Judicial and Legal Services: $9,000 ($1.75)
Health - Other: $8,000 ($1.56)
Central Staff Services: $8,000 ($1.56)
Public Welfare - Other: $3,000 ($0.58)
- Electric Utilities - Interest on Debt: $45,000 ($8.75)
- General - Interest on Debt: $662,000 ($128.77)
- Other Capital Outlay - Police Protection: $33,000 ($6.42)
Air Transportation: $21,000 ($4.08)
Local Fire Protection: $10,000 ($1.95)
Libraries: $5,000 ($0.97)
General Public Building: $3,000 ($0.58)
General - Other: $2,000 ($0.39)
Parks and Recreation: $2,000 ($0.39)
- Total Salaries and Wages: $1,757,000 ($341.76)
- Water Utilities - Interest on Debt: $128,000 ($24.90)
Winterset government finances - Revenue in 2006 (per resident):
- Charges - Sewerage: $823,000 ($160.09)
Parks and Recreation: $182,000 ($35.40)
All Other: $16,000 ($3.11)
Regular Highways: $4,000 ($0.78)
Solid Waste Management: $1,000 ($0.19)
- Federal Intergovernmental - General Local Government Support: $204,000 ($39.68)
- Local Intergovernmental - All Other: $99,000 ($19.26)
- Miscellaneous - Special Assessments: $252,000 ($49.02)
General Revenue, NEC: $140,000 ($27.23)
Interest Earnings: $117,000 ($22.76)
Fines and Forfeits: $41,000 ($7.98)
Sale of Property: $1,000 ($0.19)
- Revenue - Electric Utilities: $3,788,000 ($736.82)
Water Utilities: $1,168,000 ($227.19)
- State Intergovernmental - Highways: $399,000 ($77.61)
All Other: $80,000 ($15.56)
- Tax - Property: $2,626,000 ($510.80)
General Sales and Gross Receipts: $289,000 ($56.21)
Other License: $32,000 ($6.22)
Other Selective Sales: $22,000 ($4.28)
Winterset government finances - Debt in 2006 (per resident):
- Long Term Debt - Beginning Outstanding - Unspecified Public Purpose: $18,940,000 ($3684.11)
Outstanding Unspecified Public Purpose: $17,449,000 ($3394.09)
Retired Unspecified Public Purpose: $2,391,000 ($465.08)
Issue, Unspecified Public Purpose: $900,000 ($175.06)
Winterset government finances - Cash and Securities in 2006 (per resident):
- Other Funds - Cash and Securities: $3,363,000 ($654.15)
5.89% of this county's 2011 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2010 ($46,063 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved from foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2010 and 2011:
|from Polk County, IA||1.93% ($50,873 average AGI)|
|from Dallas County, IA||0.61% ($59,457)|
|from Warren County, IA||0.35% ($43,600)|
6.58% of this county's 2010 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2011 ($39,606 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved to foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2010 and 2011:
Strongest AM radio stations in Winterset:
- WHO (1040 AM; 50 kW; DES MOINES, IA; Owner: CITICASTERS LICENSES, L.P.)
- KPSZ (940 AM; 10 kW; DES MOINES, IA; Owner: SAGA COMMUNICATIONS OF IOWA, LLC)
- KBGG (1700 AM; 10 kW; DES MOINES, IA; Owner: CITADEL BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- KRNT (1350 AM; 5 kW; DES MOINES, IA; Owner: SAGA COMMUNICATIONS OF IOWA, LLC)
- KOIL (1020 AM; 50 kW; PLATTSMOUTH, NE; Owner: WAITT RADIO, INC.)
- KFAB (1110 AM; 50 kW; OMAHA, NE; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- KKAR (1290 AM; 50 kW; OMAHA, NE; Owner: WAITT RADIO, INC.)
- KXNO (1460 AM; 5 kW; DES MOINES, IA; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WOI (640 AM; 5 kW; AMES, IA; Owner: IOWA STATE UNIV., OF SCIENCE & TECH.)
- KXEL (1540 AM; 50 kW; WATERLOO, IA; Owner: KXEL BROADCASTING COMPANY, INC.)
- WHB (810 AM; 50 kW; KANSAS CITY, MO; Owner: UNION BROADCASTING, INC.)
- KYDZ (1180 AM; 25 kW; BELLEVUE, NE; Owner: WAITT RADIO, INC.)
- KWKY (1150 AM; 1 kW; DES MOINES, IA; Owner: PUTBRESE COMMUNICATIONS, LTD.)
Strongest FM radio stations in Winterset:
- KZZQ (99.5 FM; WINTERSET, IA; Owner: POSITIVE IMPACT MEDIA, INC.)
- KIOA (93.3 FM; DES MOINES, IA; Owner: SAGA COMMUNICATIONS OF IOWA, LLC)
- KMXD (100.3 FM; DES MOINES, IA; Owner: CITICASTERS LICENSES, L.P.)
- WOI-FM (90.1 FM; AMES, IA; Owner: IOWA STATE UNIVERSITY OF SCI & TECH)
- KJJC (107.1 FM; OSCEOLA, IA; Owner: THOMAS H. BURKE, RECEIVER FOR LIFESTYLE COMMUNICATIONS CORP.)
- KSTZ (102.5 FM; DES MOINES, IA; Owner: SAGA COMMUNICATIONS OF IOWA, LLC)
- KKRF (107.9 FM; STUART, IA; Owner: COON VALLEY COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- KGGO (94.9 FM; DES MOINES, IA; Owner: CITADEL BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- KAZR (103.3 FM; PELLA, IA; Owner: SAGA COMMUNICATIONS OF IOWA, LLC)
- KLTI-FM (104.1 FM; AMES, IA; Owner: SAGA COMMUNICATIONS OF IOWA, LLC)
- KJJY (92.5 FM; WEST DES MOINES, IA; Owner: CITADEL BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- KHKI (97.3 FM; DES MOINES, IA; Owner: CITADEL BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- K203DB (88.5 FM; CRESTON, IA; Owner: CALVARY CHAPEL OF TWIN FALLS, INC.)
- KSIB-FM (101.3 FM; CRESTON, IA; Owner: G. O. RADIO, LIMITED)
- KJMC (89.3 FM; DES MOINES, IA; Owner: MINORITY COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
TV broadcast stations around Winterset:
- WOI-TV (Channel 5; AMES, IA; Owner: CAPITAL COMMUNICATIONS COMPANY, INC.)
- KDIN-TV (Channel 11; DES MOINES, IA; Owner: IOWA PUBLIC BROADCASTING BOARD)
- KPWB-TV (Channel 23; AMES, IA; Owner: PAPPAS TELECASTING OF IOWA, L.L.C.)
- KDSM-TV (Channel 17; DES MOINES, IA; Owner: KDSM LICENSEE, LLC)
- KCCI (Channel 8; DES MOINES, IA; Owner: DES MOINES HEARST-ARGYLE TV, INC.)
- WHO-TV (Channel 13; DES MOINES, IA; Owner: NEW YORK TIMES MANAGEMENT SERVICES)
- WBXF-CA (Channel 4; DES MOINES, IA; Owner: THE BOX WORLDWIDE LLC)
- K41DD (Channel 41; DES MOINES, IA; Owner: VENTANA TELEVISION, INC.)
- KRPG-LP (Channel 43; DES MOINES, IA; Owner: TIGER EYE BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
Fatal road traffic accident statistics for 1975 - 2014 (per 100,000 population)
Winterset fatal accident list:
May 24, 1994 09:45 PM, 92, Vehicles: 1, Persons: 3, Fatalities: 2, Drunken persons involved: 1
Dec 24, 1978 02:39 AM, Vehicles: 1, Persons: 2, Fatalities: 1, Drunken persons involved: 1
- National Bridge Inventory (NBI) Statistics
- 7Number of bridges
- 28m92ftTotal length
- 14,034Total average daily traffic
- 2,031Total average daily truck traffic
- 18,325Total future (year 2033) average daily traffic
FCC Registered Antenna Towers: 78 (See the full list of FCC Registered Antenna Towers)
FCC Registered Private Land Mobile Towers: 9 (See the full list of FCC Registered Private Land Mobile Towers in Winterset, IA)
FCC Registered Microwave Towers: 10 (See the full list of FCC Registered Microwave Towers in this town)
FCC Registered Paging Towers: 2 (See the full list of FCC Registered Paging Towers)
FCC Registered Maritime Coast & Aviation Ground Towers: 2 (See the full list of FCC Registered Maritime Coast & Aviation Ground Towers)
FCC Registered Amateur Radio Licenses: 30 (See the full list of FCC Registered Amateur Radio Licenses in Winterset)
FAA Registered Aircraft: 20 (See the full list of FAA Registered Aircraft in Winterset)
2006 National Fire Incident Reporting System Incidents:
- Fire: 6
|Most common first names in Winterset, IA among deceased individuals|
|Most common last names in Winterset, IA among deceased individuals|
|Last name||Count||Lived (average)|
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Utility gas (70%)
- Electricity (24%)
- Bottled, tank, or LP gas (3%)
- Wood (2%)
- No fuel used (1%)
- Other fuel (1%)
|Businesses in Winterset, IA|
Winterset compared to Iowa state average:
- Unemployed percentage below state average.
- Black race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage below state average.
- Median age below state average.
- Length of stay since moving in significantly above state average.
- Institutionalized population percentage above state average.
- Number of college students below state average.
Winterset on our top lists:
- #23 on the list of "Top 101 cities with largest percentage of females in occupations: Health technologists and technicians (population 5,000+)"
- #40 on the list of "Top 101 cities with largest percentage of males in occupations: Food preparation and serving related occupations (population 5,000+)"
- #76 on the list of "Top 101 cities with largest percentage of females in occupations: Healthcare support occupations (population 5,000+)"
- #79 on the list of "Top 101 cities with largest percentage of males in occupations: Healthcare support occupations (population 5,000+)"
- #81 on the list of "Top 101 cities with largest percentage of males in industries: Real estate and rental and leasing (population 5,000+)"
Total of 24 patent applications in 2008-2017.