Wood River, Wisconsin
We are giving away $1200 in prizes - enter simply by sending us your own city pictures!
- OSM Map
- Google Map
- MSN Map
- OSM Map
- General Map
- Google Map
- MSN Map
- OSM Map
- Google Map
- MSN Map
- OSM Map
- Google Map
- MSN Map
Please wait while loading the map...
|Median resident age:||44.0 years|
|Wisconsin median age:||42.6 years|
Zip codes: 54840.
Estimated per capita income in 2013: $26,367 (it was $20,500 in 2000)
Wood River town income, earnings, and wages data
Estimated median house or condo value in 2013: $161,297 (it was $95,000 in 2000)
Races in Wood River, WI (2010)
- 90494.9%White alone
- 161.7%Two or more races
- 101.0%American Indian alone
- 40.4%Other race alone
- 10.1%Asian alone
Ancestries: Swedish (29.8%), German (27.9%), Norwegian (22.6%), Irish (8.0%), English (6.8%), French (4.1%).
Current Local Time: CST time zone
Land area: 34.1 square miles.
Population density: 28 people per square mile(very low).
For population 25 years and over in Wood River:
- High school or higher: 87.0%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 16.1%
- Graduate or professional degree: 5.0%
- Unemployed: 4.2%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 23.8 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Wood River town:
- Never married: 21.5%
- Now married: 65.3%
- Separated: 1.1%
- Widowed: 4.9%
- Divorced: 7.2%
4 residents are foreign born
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units in 2000:
|Wood River town:||1.5% ($1,454)|
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Coon Rapids, MN (54.2 miles , pop. 61,607).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: St. Paul, MN (61.8 miles , pop. 287,151).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: Chicago, IL (365.2 miles , pop. 2,896,016).
Nearest cities: Grantsburg, WI (2.3 miles ), Daniels, WI (2.3 miles ), Trade Lake, WI (2.3 miles ), West Sweden, WI (2.7 miles ), West Marshland, WI (2.8 miles ), Frederic, WI (3.0 miles ), Lewis, WI (3.1 miles) , Siren, WI (3.1 miles ).
Single-family new house construction building permits:
- 2010: 2 buildings, average cost: $164,100
- 2014: 1 building, cost: $100,000
Number of permits per 10,000 residents
Average cost (in $1000s)
Latitude: 45.76 N, Longitude: 92.58 W
Area code commonly used in this area: 715
Unemployment by year (%)
- Construction (15%)
- Machinery (14%)
- Metal and metal products (8%)
- Food (7%)
- Agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting (7%)
- Motor vehicle and parts dealers (3%)
- Wood products (3%)
- Health care (21%)
- Educational services (12%)
- Accommodation and food services (9%)
- Professional, scientific, and technical services (5%)
- Machinery (5%)
- Social assistance (5%)
- Agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting (4%)
- Metal workers and plastic workers (19%)
- Driver/sales workers and truck drivers (6%)
- Construction trades workers except carpenters, electricians, painters, plumbers, and construction laborers (6%)
- Other production occupations including supervisors (5%)
- Other management occupations except farmers and farm managers (4%)
- Farmers and farm managers (4%)
- Other sales and related workers including supervisors (4%)
- Registered nurses (7%)
- Secretaries and administrative assistants (6%)
- Preschool, kindergarten, elementary and middle school teachers (5%)
- Cooks and food preparation workers (5%)
- Food and beverage serving workers except waiters/waitresses (5%)
- Other office and administrative support workers including supervisors (5%)
- Bookkeeping, accounting, and auditing clerks (4%)
Average climate in Wood River, Wisconsin
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Wood River-area historical tornado activity is slightly below Wisconsin state average. It is 17% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 5/21/1957, a category F4 (max. wind speeds 207-260 mph) tornado 14.4 miles away from the Wood River town center injured 2 people and caused between $5000 and $50,000 in damages.
On 6/18/2001, a category F3 (max. wind speeds 158-206 mph) tornado 3.6 miles away from the town center killed 2 people and injured 16 people and caused $10 million in damages.
Earthquake activity:Wood River-area historical earthquake activity is slightly below Wisconsin state average. It is 94% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 7/9/1975 at 14:54:15, a magnitude 4.6 (4.6 MB, Class: Light, Intensity: IV - V) earthquake occurred 167.3 miles away from the city center
On 6/5/1993 at 01:24:53, a magnitude 4.1 (4.1 LG, Depth: 6.2 mi) earthquake occurred 179.4 miles away from Wood River center
On 3/4/1983 at 06:32:18, a magnitude 4.6 (4.4 MB, 4.6 LG, 4.4 ML) earthquake occurred 350.8 miles away from the city center
On 10/20/1995 at 15:57:18, a magnitude 3.7 (3.7 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi, Class: Light, Intensity: II - III) earthquake occurred 206.7 miles away from the city center
On 2/9/1994 at 08:45:35, a magnitude 3.1 (3.1 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 128.9 miles away from Wood River center
On 6/28/2004 at 06:10:52, a magnitude 4.2 (4.0 MB, 4.2 MW, Depth: 6.2 mi) earthquake occurred 350.1 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: regional Lg-wave magnitude (LG), body-wave magnitude (MB), local magnitude (ML), moment magnitude (MW)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Burnett County (6) is smaller than the US average (12).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 3
Emergencies Declared: 3
Causes of natural disasters: Floods: 3, Storms: 2, Tornadoes: 2, Drought: 1, Hurricane: 1, Wind: 1 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Wood River:
- Wisconsin Indianhead Technical College (about 33 miles; Shell Lake, WI; Full-time enrollment: 2,414)
- Century College (about 54 miles; White Bear Lake, MN; FT enrollment: 7,393)
- Anoka-Ramsey Community College (about 56 miles; Coon Rapids, MN; FT enrollment: 5,918)
- Bethel University (about 57 miles; Saint Paul, MN; FT enrollment: 4,061)
- University of Northwestern-St Paul (about 59 miles; Saint Paul, MN; FT enrollment: 2,680)
- North Hennepin Community College (about 60 miles; Brooklyn Park, MN; FT enrollment: 4,943)
- Metropolitan State University (about 61 miles; Saint Paul, MN; FT enrollment: 6,159)
Churches in Wood River include: Midway Tabernacle (A), Wood River Church (B). Display/hide their locations on the map
Cemeteries: Anscarius Cemetery (1), Wood River Cemetery (2), Wood Lake Cemetery (3), Freya Cemetery (4). Display/hide their locations on the map
Lakes: Silver Lake (A), Muskrat Lake (B), Wood Lake (C), Indian Lake (D), Little Wood Lake (E). Display/hide their locations on the map
Creek: Wood Creek (A). Display/hide its location on the map
Air pollution and air quality trends
(lower is better)
Air Quality Index (AQI) level in 2001 was 28.8. This is significantly better than average.
Carbon Monoxide (CO) [ppm] level in 2001 was 0.194. This is significantly better than average. Closest monitor was 16.0 miles away from the city center.
|This town:||2.5 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
Likely homosexual households (counted as self-reported same-sex unmarried-partner households)
- Lesbian couples: 0.0% of all households
- Gay men: 0.3% of all households
Educational Attainment (%) in 2000
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2000
Presidential Elections Results
Graphs represent county-level data. Detailed 2008 Election Results
Religion statistics for Wood River town (based on Burnett County data)
Food Environment Statistics:
|Burnett County:||3.68 / 10,000 pop.|
|Wisconsin:||1.86 / 10,000 pop.|
|Burnett County:||0.61 / 10,000 pop.|
|Wisconsin:||0.38 / 10,000 pop.|
|Burnett County:||4.91 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||4.12 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||16.58 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||8.64 / 10,000 pop.|
5.02% of this county's 2011 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2010 ($38,515 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved from foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2010 and 2011:
|from Polk County, WI||0.76% ($24,122 average AGI)|
|from Barron County, WI||0.31% ($21,200)|
|from Washburn County, WI||0.31% ($24,200)|
4.61% of this county's 2010 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2011 ($29,537 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved to foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2010 and 2011:
Strongest AM radio stations in Wood River:
- WCCO (830 AM; 50 kW; MINNEAPOLIS, MN; Owner: INFINITY MEDIA CORPORATION)
- WEBC (560 AM; 50 kW; DULUTH, MN)
- WCTS (1030 AM; 50 kW; MAPLEWOOD, MN; Owner: CNTL. BAPT. THEO/AL SEMI MINNEAPOLIS)
- KSTP (1500 AM; 50 kW; ST. PAUL, MN; Owner: KSTP-AM, LLC (DELAWARE))
- KTIS (900 AM; 25 kW; MINNEAPOLIS, MN; Owner: NORTHWESTERN COLLEGE)
- KFAN (1130 AM; 50 kW; MINNEAPOLIS, MN; Owner: AMFM RADIO LICENSES, L.L.C.)
- WDGY (630 AM; 8 kW; HUDSON, WI; Owner: 630 RADIO, INCORPORATED)
- WDSM (710 AM; 10 kW; SUPERIOR, WI; Owner: MIDWEST COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- WXCE (1260 AM; 5 kW; AMERY, WI; Owner: LAKE COUNTRY BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WWJC (850 AM; daytime; 10 kW; DULUTH, MN; Owner: WWJC, INC.)
- WAQE (1090 AM; daytime; 5 kW; RICE LAKE, WI; Owner: TKC, INC.)
- WBHR (660 AM; 10 kW; SAUK RAPIDS, MN; Owner: HERBERT M. HOPPE)
- WMEQ (880 AM; 10 kW; MENOMONIE, WI; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
Strongest FM radio stations in Wood River:
- WXCX (105.7 FM; SIREN, WI; Owner: QUARNSTROM MEDIA GROUP, LLC)
- WXPT (104.1 FM; ST. LOUIS PARK, MN; Owner: THE AUDIO HOUSE, INC.)
- WGMO (95.3 FM; SHELL LAKE, WI; Owner: ZOE COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- WCMP-FM (100.9 FM; PINE CITY, MN; Owner: QUARNSTROM MEDIA GROUP, LLC)
TV broadcast stations around Wood River:
- W24CL (Channel 24; GRANTSBURG, WI; Owner: STATE OF WISCONSIN - EDUCATIONAL COMMUNICATIONS BOARD)
- National Bridge Inventory (NBI) Statistics
- 8Number of bridges
- 8m26ftTotal length
- 5,065Total average daily traffic
- 216Total average daily truck traffic
- 8,485Total future (year 2033) average daily traffic
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Bottled, tank, or LP gas (56%)
- Wood (17%)
- Fuel oil, kerosene, etc. (12%)
- Electricity (10%)
- Utility gas (5%)
Wood River compared to Wisconsin state average:
- Unemployed percentage significantly below state average.
- Black race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage significantly below state average.
- Renting percentage below state average.
- Length of stay since moving in significantly above state average.
- Number of rooms per house significantly below state average.
- House age significantly below state average.
- Number of college students significantly below state average.