|Median resident age:||44.0 years|
|Wisconsin median age:||42.6 years|
Zip codes: 54840.
Wood River town income, earnings, and wages data
Estimated median house or condo value in 2012: $168,206 (it was $95,000 in 2000)
- White alone - 904 (94.9%)
- Hispanic - 18 (1.9%)
- Two or more races - 16 (1.7%)
- American Indian alone - 10 (1.0%)
- Other race alone - 4 (0.4%)
- Asian alone - 1 (0.1%)
Ancestries: Swedish (29.8%), German (27.9%), Norwegian (22.6%), Irish (8.0%), English (6.8%), French (4.1%).
Current Local Time: CST time zone
Land area: 34.1 square miles.Population density: 28 people per square mile (very low).
For population 25 years and over in Wood River:
- High school or higher: 87.0%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 16.1%
- Graduate or professional degree: 5.0%
- Unemployed: 4.2%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 23.8 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Wood River town:
- Never married: 21.5%
- Now married: 65.3%
- Separated: 1.1%
- Widowed: 4.9%
- Divorced: 7.2%
4 residents are foreign born
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units in 2000:
|Wood River town:||1.5% ($1,454)|
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Coon Rapids, MN (54.2 miles , pop. 61,607).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: St. Paul, MN (61.8 miles , pop. 287,151).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: Chicago, IL (365.2 miles , pop. 2,896,016).
Nearest cities: Grantsburg, WI (2.3 miles ), Daniels, WI (2.3 miles ), Trade Lake, WI (2.3 miles ), West Sweden, WI (2.7 miles ), West Marshland, WI (2.8 miles ), Frederic, WI (3.0 miles ), Lewis, WI (3.1 miles) , Siren, WI (3.1 miles ).
Single-family new house construction building permits:
- 2010: 2 buildings, average cost: $164,100
Latitude: 45.76 N, Longitude: 92.58 W
Area code commonly used in this area: 715
- Construction (15%)
- Machinery (14%)
- Metal and metal products (8%)
- Food (7%)
- Agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting (7%)
- Motor vehicle and parts dealers (3%)
- Wood products (3%)
- Health care (21%)
- Educational services (12%)
- Accommodation and food services (9%)
- Professional, scientific, and technical services (5%)
- Machinery (5%)
- Social assistance (5%)
- Agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting (4%)
- Metal workers and plastic workers (19%)
- Driver/sales workers and truck drivers (6%)
- Construction trades workers except carpenters, electricians, painters, plumbers, and construction laborers (6%)
- Other production occupations including supervisors (5%)
- Other management occupations except farmers and farm managers (4%)
- Farmers and farm managers (4%)
- Other sales and related workers including supervisors (4%)
- Registered nurses (7%)
- Secretaries and administrative assistants (6%)
- Preschool, kindergarten, elementary and middle school teachers (5%)
- Cooks and food preparation workers (5%)
- Food and beverage serving workers except waiters/waitresses (5%)
- Other office and administrative support workers including supervisors (5%)
- Bookkeeping, accounting, and auditing clerks (4%)
Wood River-area historical tornado activity is slightly below Wisconsin state average. It is 17% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 5/21/1957, a category F4 (max. wind speeds 207-260 mph) tornado 14.4 miles away from the Wood River town center injured 2 people and caused between $5000 and $50,000 in damages.
On 6/18/2001, a category F3 (max. wind speeds 158-206 mph) tornado 3.6 miles away from the town center killed 2 people and injured 16 people and caused $10 million in damages.
Earthquake activity:Wood River-area historical earthquake activity is slightly below Wisconsin state average. It is 94% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 7/9/1975 at 14:54:15, a magnitude 4.6 (4.6 MB, Class: Light, Intensity: IV - V) earthquake occurred 167.3 miles away from the city center
On 6/5/1993 at 01:24:53, a magnitude 4.1 (4.1 LG, Depth: 6.2 mi) earthquake occurred 179.4 miles away from Wood River center
On 3/4/1983 at 06:32:18, a magnitude 4.6 (4.4 MB, 4.6 LG, 4.4 ML) earthquake occurred 350.8 miles away from the city center
On 10/20/1995 at 15:57:18, a magnitude 3.7 (3.7 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi, Class: Light, Intensity: II - III) earthquake occurred 206.7 miles away from the city center
On 2/9/1994 at 08:45:35, a magnitude 3.1 (3.1 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 128.9 miles away from Wood River center
On 6/28/2004 at 06:10:52, a magnitude 4.2 (4.0 MB, 4.2 MW, Depth: 6.2 mi) earthquake occurred 350.1 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: regional Lg-wave magnitude (LG), body-wave magnitude (MB), local magnitude (ML), moment magnitude (MW)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Burnett County (6) is smaller than the US average (12).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 3
Emergencies Declared: 3
Causes of natural disasters: Floods: 3, Storms: 2, Tornadoes: 2, Drought: 1, Hurricane: 1, Wind: 1 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Wood River:
- Wisconsin Indianhead Technical College (about 33 miles; Shell Lake, WI; Full-time enrollment: 2,414)
- Century College (about 54 miles; White Bear Lake, MN; FT enrollment: 7,393)
- Anoka-Ramsey Community College (about 56 miles; Coon Rapids, MN; FT enrollment: 5,918)
- Bethel University (about 57 miles; Saint Paul, MN; FT enrollment: 4,061)
- University of Northwestern-St Paul (about 59 miles; Saint Paul, MN; FT enrollment: 2,680)
- North Hennepin Community College (about 60 miles; Brooklyn Park, MN; FT enrollment: 4,943)
- Metropolitan State University (about 61 miles; Saint Paul, MN; FT enrollment: 6,159)
Churches in Wood River include: Midway Tabernacle (A), Wood River Church (B). Display/hide their locations on the map
Cemeteries: Anscarius Cemetery (1), Wood River Cemetery (2), Wood Lake Cemetery (3), Freya Cemetery (4). Display/hide their locations on the map
Lakes: Silver Lake (A), Muskrat Lake (B), Wood Lake (C), Indian Lake (D), Little Wood Lake (E). Display/hide their locations on the map
Creek: Wood Creek (A). Display/hide its location on the map
Air pollution and air quality trends
(lower is better)
Air Quality Index (AQI) level in 2001 was 28.8. This is significantly better than average.
Carbon Monoxide (CO) [ppm] level in 2001 was 0.194. This is significantly better than average. Closest monitor was 16.0 miles away from the city center.
|This town:||2.5 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
Likely homosexual households (counted as self-reported same-sex unmarried-partner households)
- Lesbian couples: 0.0% of all households
- Gay men: 0.3% of all households
Residents with income below the poverty level in 2009:
Residents with income below 50% of the poverty level in 2009:
Wood River compared to Wisconsin state average:
- Median house value below state average.
- Unemployed percentage below state average.
- Black race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage significantly below state average.
- Renting percentage below state average.
- Length of stay since moving in significantly above state average.
- Number of rooms per house significantly below state average.
- House age significantly below state average.
- Number of college students significantly below state average.
Educational Attainment (%) in 2000
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2000
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Bottled, tank, or LP gas (56%)
- Wood (17%)
- Fuel oil, kerosene, etc. (12%)
- Electricity (10%)
- Utility gas (5%)
Religion statistics for Wood River town (based on Burnett County data)Percentage of population affiliated with a religious congregations: 37.57%
Breakdown of population affiliated with a religious congregations
|Name||Evangelical Lutheran Church in America||Catholic Church||United Methodist Church||Baptist General Conference||Lutheran Church|
|Name||The Evangelical Covenant Church||Assemblies of God||The Wesleyan Church||Evangelical Free Church of America||Other|
Tables represent county-level data.
Food Environment Statistics:
|Burnett County:||3.68 / 10,000 pop.|
|Wisconsin:||1.86 / 10,000 pop.|
|Burnett County:||0.61 / 10,000 pop.|
|Wisconsin:||0.38 / 10,000 pop.|
|Burnett County:||4.91 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||4.12 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||16.58 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||8.64 / 10,000 pop.|
6.39% of this county's 2006 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2005 ($43,276 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved from foreign countries between 2005 and 2006.
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2005 and 2006:
|from Polk County, WI||1.02% ($34,750 average AGI)|
|from Ramsey County, MN||0.51% ($38,031)|
|from Hennepin County, MN||0.40% ($62,880)|
6.70% of this county's 2005 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2006 ($29,581 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved to foreign countries between 2005 and 2006.
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2005 and 2006:
Strongest AM radio stations in Wood River:
- WCCO (830 AM; 50 kW; MINNEAPOLIS, MN; Owner: INFINITY MEDIA CORPORATION)
- WEBC (560 AM; 50 kW; DULUTH, MN)
- WCTS (1030 AM; 50 kW; MAPLEWOOD, MN; Owner: CNTL. BAPT. THEO/AL SEMI MINNEAPOLIS)
- KSTP (1500 AM; 50 kW; ST. PAUL, MN; Owner: KSTP-AM, LLC (DELAWARE))
- KTIS (900 AM; 25 kW; MINNEAPOLIS, MN; Owner: NORTHWESTERN COLLEGE)
- KFAN (1130 AM; 50 kW; MINNEAPOLIS, MN; Owner: AMFM RADIO LICENSES, L.L.C.)
- WDGY (630 AM; 8 kW; HUDSON, WI; Owner: 630 RADIO, INCORPORATED)
- WDSM (710 AM; 10 kW; SUPERIOR, WI; Owner: MIDWEST COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- WXCE (1260 AM; 5 kW; AMERY, WI; Owner: LAKE COUNTRY BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WWJC (850 AM; daytime; 10 kW; DULUTH, MN; Owner: WWJC, INC.)
- WAQE (1090 AM; daytime; 5 kW; RICE LAKE, WI; Owner: TKC, INC.)
- WBHR (660 AM; 10 kW; SAUK RAPIDS, MN; Owner: HERBERT M. HOPPE)
- WMEQ (880 AM; 10 kW; MENOMONIE, WI; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
Strongest FM radio stations in Wood River:
- WXCX (105.7 FM; SIREN, WI; Owner: QUARNSTROM MEDIA GROUP, LLC)
- WXPT (104.1 FM; ST. LOUIS PARK, MN; Owner: THE AUDIO HOUSE, INC.)
- WGMO (95.3 FM; SHELL LAKE, WI; Owner: ZOE COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- WCMP-FM (100.9 FM; PINE CITY, MN; Owner: QUARNSTROM MEDIA GROUP, LLC)
TV broadcast stations around Wood River:
- W24CL (Channel 24; GRANTSBURG, WI; Owner: STATE OF WISCONSIN - EDUCATIONAL COMMUNICATIONS BOARD)
Total length: 7 meters (23ft)
Total average daily traffic: 5,645
Total average daily truck traffic: 258
Total future (year 2029) average daily traffic: 8,365