Wrangell: From the Water......
Wrangell: Overlooking Wrangell, AK from Mount Dewey
Wrangell: Looking South.....
Wrangell: At the pier, Wrangell, Alaska
Wrangell: At the pier, Wrangell, Alaska
Wrangell: Hillside Homes.....
Wrangell: Ferry Terminal.....
Wrangell: View of Wrangell, AK while departing on the State Ferry
Wrangell: 4th of July Celebration
Submit your own pictures of this city and show them to the World
|Median resident age:||52.5 years|
|Alaska median age:||33.1 years|
Estimated per capita income in 2013: $28,320 (it was $21,851 in 2000)
Wrangell city income, earnings, and wages data
Estimated median house or condo value in 2013: $165,342 (it was $121,000 in 2000)
Median gross rent in 2013: $785.
Races in Wrangell, AK (2013)
- 1,56664.7%White alone
- 53822.2%American Indian alone
- 1907.9%Two or more races
- 331.4%Asian alone
- 30.1%Black alone
- 10.04%Other race alone
|Wrangell for the summer (2 replies)|
|What's life like in Wrangell? (69 replies)|
|Moving to Wrangell, need help finding a rental. (7 replies)|
|Healy to Wrangell Park via Richardson Hwy or Denali Hwy? (and beyond) (7 replies)|
|Guess who just had a phone interview from Wrangell??? (14 replies)|
|Wrangell Polar Bear Club (15 replies)|
Latest news from Wrangell, AK collected exclusively by city-data.com from local newspapers, TV, and radio stations
Ancestries: German (12.3%), Irish (11.8%), Norwegian (6.5%), English (5.7%), Italian (3.4%), Scottish (3.3%).
Current Local Time: AKST time zone
Land area: 45.3 square miles.
Population density: 53 people per square mile(very low).
For population 25 years and over in Wrangell:
- High school or higher: 89.1%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 17.0%
- Graduate or professional degree: 3.3%
- Unemployed: 8.5%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 12.7 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Wrangell city:
- Never married: 23.1%
- Now married: 52.7%
- Separated: 1.1%
- Widowed: 7.7%
- Divorced: 15.3%
21 residents are foreign born
According to our research of Alaska and other state lists there were 4 registered sex offenders living in Wrangell, Alaska as of August 30, 2015.
The ratio of number of residents in Wrangell to the number of sex offenders is 601 to 1.
The number of registered sex offenders compared to the number of residents in this city is smaller than the state average.
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units with mortgages in 2013: $1,576 (0.7%)
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units with no mortgage in 2013: $339 (0.2%)
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Bellingham, WA (674.7 miles , pop. 67,171).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: Anchorage, AK (700.4 miles , pop. 260,283).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: Los Angeles, CA (1683.2 miles , pop. 3,694,820).
Nearest cities: Thoms Place, AK (4.4 miles) , Petersburg, AK (5.7 miles ), Kupreanof, AK (5.8 miles) , Coffman Cove, AK (5.9 miles) , Whale Pass, AK (6.1 miles) , Port Protection, AK (6.9 miles) , Point Baker, AK (7.0 miles) , Meyers Chuck, AK (7.0 miles) .
Single-family new house construction building permits:
- 1997: 3 buildings, average cost: $116,700
- 1998: 7 buildings, average cost: $120,900
- 1999: 3 buildings, average cost: $82,000
- 2000: 5 buildings, average cost: $68,200
- 2001: 8 buildings, average cost: $97,800
- 2002: 5 buildings, average cost: $116,700
- 2003: 3 buildings, average cost: $142,800
- 2004: 3 buildings, average cost: $116,700
- 2005: 3 buildings, average cost: $126,700
- 2006: 7 buildings, average cost: $162,100
- 2007: 6 buildings, average cost: $224,500
- 2008: 5 buildings, average cost: $170,000
- 2009: 2 buildings, average cost: $25,000
- 2010: 3 buildings, average cost: $22,000
- 2011: 7 buildings, average cost: $130,000
- 2012: 4 buildings, average cost: $177,000
Number of permits per 10,000 residents
Average cost (in $1000s)
Latitude: 56.46 N, Longitude: 132.38 W
Area code: 907
|Crime rates in Wrangell by Year|
|City-data.com crime index (higher means more crime, U.S. average = 294.7)||334.7||231.6||509.5||412.1||345.2||334.0||185.7||300.1||166.4||94.0||92.9||103.7||100.6|
(click on a table row to update graph)
Crime rate in Wrangell detailed stats: murders, rapes, robberies, assaults, burglaries, thefts, arson
|Officers per 1,000 residents here:||2.90|
- Agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting (20%)
- Retail trade (15%)
- Construction (10%)
- Educational services (8%)
- Health care and social assistance (8%)
- Manufacturing (7%)
- Transportation and warehousing (6%)
- Health care and social assistance (37%)
- Retail trade (17%)
- Public administration (10%)
- Transportation and warehousing (9%)
- Educational services (9%)
- Manufacturing (4%)
- Wholesale trade (4%)
- Management occupations (14%)
- Construction and extraction occupations (12%)
- Production occupations (12%)
- Farming, fishing, and forestry occupations (11%)
- Office and administrative support occupations (10%)
- Transportation occupations (6%)
- Sales and related occupations (6%)
- Office and administrative support occupations (21%)
- Management occupations (15%)
- Sales and related occupations (15%)
- Education, training, and library occupations (10%)
- Production occupations (7%)
- Health diagnosing and treating practitioners and other technical occupations (4%)
- Healthcare support occupations (4%)
Average climate in Wrangell, Alaska
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Earthquake activity:Wrangell-area historical earthquake activity is significantly below Alaska state average. It is 53% greater than the overall U.S. average.
On 7/10/1958 at 06:15:53, a magnitude 8.3 (8.3 UK, Class: Great, Intensity: VIII - XII) earthquake occurred 201.4 miles away from the city center
On 7/30/1972 at 21:45:14, a magnitude 7.6 (7.6 UK, Class: Major, Intensity: VIII - XII) earthquake occurred 142.6 miles away from Wrangell center
On 10/24/1927 at 15:59:44, a magnitude 7.1 (7.1 UK) earthquake occurred 165.3 miles away from the city center
On 6/28/2004 at 09:49:47, a magnitude 6.8 (5.9 MB, 6.8 MS, 6.8 MW, Depth: 12.4 mi, Class: Strong, Intensity: VII - IX) earthquake occurred 142.3 miles away from the city center
On 3/28/1964 at 03:36:12, a magnitude 9.2 (9.2 UK) earthquake occurred 629.6 miles away from Wrangell center, causing $1,020,000,000 total damage
On 11/30/1987 at 19:23:19, a magnitude 7.9 (6.7 MB, 7.6 MS, 7.9 MW, 7.1 ML) earthquake occurred 412.0 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: body-wave magnitude (MB), local magnitude (ML), surface-wave magnitude (MS), moment magnitude (MW)
Hospitals and medical centers in Wrangell:
Airports and other landing facilities located in Wrangell:
- Wrangell Airport (Runways: 1, Commercial Ops: 725, Air Taxi Ops: 6,200, Itinerant Ops: 3,000, Local Ops: 1,000)
- Wrangell Seaplane Base
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Wrangell:
- Whatcom Community College (about 672 miles; Bellingham, WA; Full-time enrollment: 3,265)
- Western Washington University (about 676 miles; Bellingham, WA; FT enrollment: 13,875)
- Peninsula College (about 691 miles; Port Angeles, WA; FT enrollment: 2,012)
- Skagit Valley College (about 697 miles; Mount Vernon, WA; FT enrollment: 3,803)
- University of Alaska Anchorage (about 703 miles; Anchorage, AK; FT enrollment: 12,483)
- Charter College-Anchorage (about 703 miles; Anchorage, AK; FT enrollment: 2,983)
- Everett Community College (about 725 miles; Everett, WA; FT enrollment: 5,818)
Public high school in Wrangell:
- Wrangell High School (Students: 124; Location: REID STREET; Grades: 9-12)
Public elementary/middle school in Wrangell:
- Evergreen Elementary School (Students: 135; Location: 350 BENNETT STREET; Grades: PK-5)
User submitted facts and corrections:
- CORNERSTONE CHRISTIAN SCHOOL has closed, gone out of business.
Notable locations in Wrangell: Alaska Island Community Services Tideline Clinic (A), Wrangell Public Health Center - Southeast Region (B), Wrangell Volunteer Fire Department Station 1 (C), Wrangell Volunteer Fire Department Station 2 (D). Display/hide their locations on the map
Lakes and reservoirs: Pats Lake (A), Wrangell Upper Reservoir (B), Wrangell Lower Reservoir (C). Display/hide their locations on the map
Creeks: Institute Creek (A), Pat Creek (B). Display/hide their locations on the map
Tourist attractions: Sunrise Aviation Inc (Airport Box 432) (1), Alaska Waters Inc - Jim (Tours & Charters; 107 Stikine Avenue) (2), Alaska Waters Inc - Wilma (Tours & Charters; 107 Stikine Avenue) (3), Alaska Vistas (Tours & Charters; Box 2245) (4), Alaska Waters Inc (Tours & Charters; 107 Stikine Avenue) (5). Display/hide their approximate locations on the map
Hotels: Bruce Harding's Old Sourdough Lodge (1104 Peninsula) (1), Stikine Inn (PO Box 990) (2), Fennimore's Trading Post Bed & Breakfast (312 Stikine Avenue) (3), Thunderbird Hotel (225 Front Street) (4), Harding's Old Sourdough Lodge (1104 Peninsula Avenue) (5), Rooney's Roost (206 McKinnon Street) (6). Display/hide their approximate locations on the map
Court: Alaska State - Court System- Trial Courts (Po Box 869) (1). Display/hide its approximate location on the map
Drinking water stations with addresses in Wrangell and their reported violations in the past:WRANGELL (Population served: 2,300, Surface water):
Past health violations:
Past monitoring violations:
- Treatment Technique (SWTR and GWR) - In JAN-2009
- Treatment Technique (SWTR and GWR) - In FEB-2008
- MCL, Average - Between JUL-2005 and SEP-2005, Contaminant: TTHM. Follow-up actions: St Public Notif received (APR-19-2006)
- Monitoring, Source Water (LT2) - In JUL-01-2008, Contaminant: LT2ESWTR. Follow-up actions: Fed Compliance achieved (AUG-28-2008)
- Initial Tap Sampling for Pb and Cu - In JAN-01-2008, Contaminant: Lead and Copper Rule
- Initial Tap Sampling for Pb and Cu - In JAN-01-2008, Contaminant: Lead and Copper Rule. Follow-up actions: St Compliance achieved (APR-21-2008)
- Initial Tap Sampling for Pb and Cu - In JUL-01-2007, Contaminant: Lead and Copper Rule
- Initial Tap Sampling for Pb and Cu - In JUL-01-2007, Contaminant: Lead and Copper Rule. Follow-up actions: St Compliance achieved (APR-21-2008)
(5.4% for White Non-Hispanic residents, 100.0% for Black residents, 22.1% for American Indian residents, 9.8% for two or more races residents)
|This city:||2.2 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
Likely homosexual households (counted as self-reported same-sex unmarried-partner households)
- Lesbian couples: 0.5% of all households
- Gay men: 0.3% of all households
People in group quarters in Wrangell in 2010:
- 10 people in hospitals with patients who have no usual home elsewhere
- 6 people in nursing facilities/skilled-nursing facilities
- 2 people in maritime/merchant vessels
People in group quarters in Wrangell in 2000:
- 11 people in nursing homes
- 7 people in other noninstitutional group quarters
- 4 people in other types of correctional institutions
Wrangell compared to Alaska state average:
- Median household income below state average.
- Median house value below state average.
- Unemployed percentage below state average.
- Black race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage below state average.
- Median age significantly above state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage significantly below state average.
- Length of stay since moving in above state average.
- House age above state average.
- Number of college students below state average.
Banks with branches in Wrangell (2011 data):
- First Bank: Wrangell Branch at 224 Bruger Street, branch established on 1989/10/09. Info updated 2006/11/03: Bank assets: $441.5 mil, Deposits: $387.1 mil, headquarters in Ketchikan, AK, positive income, Commercial Lending Specialization, 9 total offices, Holding Company: First Bancorp, Inc.
- Wells Fargo Bank, National Association: Wrangell Branch at 115 Main Street, branch established on 1960/04/01. Info updated 2011/04/05: Bank assets: $1,161,490.0 mil, Deposits: $905,653.0 mil, headquarters in Sioux Falls, SD, positive income, 6395 total offices, Holding Company: Wells Fargo & Company
Fire-safe hotels and motels in Wrangell, Alaska:
- Hungry Beaver Hotel, PO Box 1677, Wrangell, AK 99929 , Phone: (907) 874-3005, Fax: (907) 874-3284
- Stikine Inn, 107 Stikine Ave, Wrangell, AK 99929 , Phone: (907) 874-3388, Fax: (907) 874-3923
- Bruce Harding's Old Sourdough Lodge, 1104 Peninsula St, Wrangell, AK 99929 , Phone: (907) 874-3613, Fax: (907) 874-3455
Educational Attainment (%) in 2013
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2013
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Fuel oil, kerosene, etc. (36%)
- Electricity (35%)
- Wood (26%)
- Utility gas (2%)
- Other fuel (2%)
2008 Presidential Elections Results
Graphs represent county-level data. Detailed 2008 Election Results
Religion statistics for Wrangell city (based on Wrangell-Petersburg Census Area data)
Food Environment Statistics:
|Wrangell-Petersburg Census Area:||8.37 / 10,000 pop.|
|Alaska:||3.30 / 10,000 pop.|
|Wrangell-Petersburg Census Area:||1.67 / 10,000 pop.|
|Alaska:||0.52 / 10,000 pop.|
|Wrangell-Petersburg Census Area:||1.67 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||2.30 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||6.69 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||7.82 / 10,000 pop.|
|Wrangell-Petersburg Census Area:||25.4%|
|Local government employment and payroll (March 2013)|
|Function||Full-time employees||Monthly full-time payroll||Average yearly full-time wage||Part-time employees||Monthly part-time payroll|
|Other Government Administration||4||$32,158||$96,474||0||$0|
|Police Protection - Officers||7||$42,602||$73,032||0||$0|
|Police - Other||2||$6,189||$37,134||0||$0|
|Streets and Highways||3||$12,520||$50,080||1||$613|
|Water Transport and Terminals||6||$24,149||$48,298||1||$1,136|
|Solid Waste Management||2||$7,174||$43,044||0||$0|
|Parks and Recreation||4||$16,810||$50,430||29||$10,189|
|Elementary and Secondary - Instruction||46||$207,609||$54,159||31||$28,340|
|Elementary and Secondary - Other Total||15||$52,510||$42,008||2||$2,152|
|Other and Unallocable||7||$32,125||$55,071||4||$5,522|
|Totals for Government||164||$792,620||$57,997||98||$113,555|
Wrangell government finances - Expenditure in 2002 (per resident):
- Construction - General: $2,848,000 ($1186.67)
Elementary & Secondary Education: $4,000 ($1.67)
- Current Operations - Own Hospitals: $5,186,000 ($2160.83)
Elementary & Secondary Education: $4,930,000 ($2054.17)
Electric Utilities: $2,057,000 ($857.08)
General - Other: $1,835,000 ($764.58)
Financial Administration: $732,000 ($305.00)
Police Protection: $495,000 ($206.25)
Parks & Recreation: $426,000 ($177.50)
Solid Waste Management: $365,000 ($152.08)
Regular Highways: $310,000 ($129.17)
Water Utilities: $304,000 ($126.67)
Sewerage: $299,000 ($124.58)
Fire Protection: $232,000 ($96.67)
Libraries: $197,000 ($82.08)
Sea and Inland Port Facilities: $94,000 ($39.17)
Central Staff Services: $18,000 ($7.50)
- General - Interest on Debt: $311,000 ($129.58)
- Other Capital Outlay - Elementary and Secondary Education: $152,000 ($63.33)
- Total Salaries & Wages: $12,001,000 ($5000.42)
Wrangell government finances - Revenue in 2002 (per resident):
- Charges - Hospital Public: $5,186,000 ($2160.83)
All Other: $3,137,000 ($1307.08)
Solid Waste Management: $336,000 ($140.00)
Sewerage: $329,000 ($137.08)
Elementary & Secondary Education - Other: $162,000 ($67.50)
- Federal Intergovernmental - Education: $967,000 ($402.92)
All Other: $837,000 ($348.75)
- Miscellaneous - General Revenue, NEC: $752,000 ($313.33)
Interest Earnings: $83,000 ($34.58)
- Revenue - Electric Utilities: $2,119,000 ($882.92)
Water Utilities: $239,000 ($99.58)
- State Intergovernmental - Education: $3,187,000 ($1327.92)
All Other: $284,000 ($118.33)
General Support: $254,000 ($105.83)
- Tax - Property: $2,847,000 ($1186.25)
Total General Sales: $1,700,000 ($708.33)
Other Selective Sales: $60,000 ($25.00)
NEC: $2,000 ($0.83)
Wrangell government finances - Debt in 2002 (per resident):
- Long Term Debt Beginning Outstanding, Education, NEC: $6,221,000 ($2592.08)
- Long Term Debt Outstanding - Full Faith & Credit - Elementary & Secondary Education: $5,523,000 ($2301.25)
- Long Term Debt Retired Unspecified - Elementary and Secondary Education: $698,000 ($290.83)
Wrangell government finances - Cash and Securities in 2002 (per resident):
- Other Funds - Cash & Deposits: $4,150,000 ($1729.17)
10 or fewer of this county's residents relocated from other counties between 2010 and 2011.
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved from foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
10 or fewer of this county's residents relocated to other counties between 2010 and 2011.
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved to foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Strongest AM radio stations in Wrangell:
- KRSA (580 AM; 5 kW; PETERSBURG, AK; Owner: NORTHERN LIGHT NETWORK)
- KTKN (930 AM; 5 kW; KETCHIKAN, AK; Owner: ALASKA BROADCAST COMMUNICATIONS, INC)
- KINY (800 AM; 10 kW; JUNEAU, AK; Owner: ALASKA-JUNEAU COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- KJNO (630 AM; 5 kW; JUNEAU, AK; Owner: ALASKA BROADCAST COMMUNICATIONS, INC)
- KENI (650 AM; 50 kW; ANCHORAGE, AK; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- KFQD (750 AM; 50 kW; ANCHORAGE, AK; Owner: MCC RADIO, LLC)
- KIRO (710 AM; 50 kW; SEATTLE, WA; Owner: ENTERCOM SEATTLE LICENSE, LLC)
- KTTH (770 AM; 50 kW; SEATTLE, WA; Owner: ENTERCOM SEATTLE LICENSE, LLC)
- KGNW (820 AM; 50 kW; BURIEN-SEATTLE, WA; Owner: INSPIRATION MEDIA, INC.)
- KPOJ (620 AM; 50 kW; PORTLAND, OR; Owner: CITICASTERS LICENSES, L.P.)
- KIXI (880 AM; 50 kW; MERCER ISLAND/SEATTL, WA; Owner: BELLEVUE RADIO, INC.)
- KARI (550 AM; 25 kW; BLAINE, WA; Owner: WAY BROADCASTING, INC.)
- KJR (950 AM; 50 kW; SEATTLE, WA)
Strongest FM radio stations in Wrangell:
- KSTK (101.7 FM; WRANGELL, AK; Owner: WRANGELL RADIO GROUP)
- K235AD (94.9 FM; WRANGELL, AK; Owner: NORTHERN LIGHT NETWORK)
- K220CV (91.9 FM; WRANGELL, ETC., AK; Owner: WRANGELL RADIO GROUP, INC.)
TV broadcast stations around Wrangell:
- K15AJ (Channel 15; WRANGELL, AK; Owner: STATE OF ALASKA)
- K21AF (Channel 21; WRANGELL, AK; Owner: STATE OF ALASKA)
- K09OQ (Channel 9; WRANGELL, AK; Owner: CAPITAL COMMUNITY B/CING , INC.)
Fatal road traffic accident statistics for 1975 - 2013 (per 100,000 population)
Wrangell fatal accident list:
Nov 19, 1989 02:40 AM, Evergreen, Vehicles: 1, Persons: 1, Fatalities: 1, Drunken persons involved: 1
May 11, 1988 06:02 PM, Front Str, Vehicles: 1, Persons: 2, Fatalities: 1, Drunken persons involved: 1
- National Bridge Inventory (NBI) Statistics
- 3Number of bridges
- 11m36ftTotal length
- 536Total average daily traffic
- 9Total average daily truck traffic
- 594Total future (year 2030) average daily traffic
FCC Registered Antenna Towers: 25 (See the full list of FCC Registered Antenna Towers)
FCC Registered Private Land Mobile Towers: 15 (See the full list of FCC Registered Private Land Mobile Towers in Wrangell, AK)
FCC Registered Broadcast Land Mobile Towers: 2 (See the full list of FCC Registered Broadcast Land Mobile Towers)
FCC Registered Microwave Towers: 9 (See the full list of FCC Registered Microwave Towers in this town)
FCC Registered Paging Towers: 1 (See the full list of FCC Registered Paging Towers)
FCC Registered Maritime Coast & Aviation Ground Towers: 26 (See the full list of FCC Registered Maritime Coast & Aviation Ground Towers)
FCC Registered Amateur Radio Licenses: 23 (See the full list of FCC Registered Amateur Radio Licenses in Wrangell)
FAA Registered Aircraft: 22 (See the full list of FAA Registered Aircraft in Wrangell)
2006 National Fire Incident Reporting System Incidents:
- Fire: 28
- Hazardous Condition: 7
- Good Intent Call: 2
Incident types - Wrangell
|Most common first names in Wrangell, AK among deceased individuals|
|Most common last names in Wrangell, AK among deceased individuals|
|Last name||Count||Lived (average)|
Businesses in Wrangell, AK
- True Value: 1
Wrangell on our top lists:
- #3 on the list of "Top 101 cities with largest percentage of females working in industry: Water transportation"
- #29 on the list of "Top 101 cities with the highest number of murders in 2006 per 10,000 residents, excludes tourist destinations and others with a lot of outsiders visiting based on city industries data"
- #46 on the list of "Top 101 cities with largest percentage of males in occupations: Food and beverage serving workers except waiters/waitresses"
- #46 on the list of "Top 101 cities with the highest average yearly precipitation"
- #55 on the list of "Top 101 cities with largest percentage of males in occupations: Professional and related occupations:"
- #55 on the list of "Top 101 cities with the highest average humidity"
- #57 on the list of "Top 101 cities with largest percentage of males working in industry: Water transportation"
- #14 (99903) on the list of "Top 101 zip codes with the largest percentage of Scotch-Irish first ancestries"
- #56 (99929) on the list of "Top 101 zip codes with the largest percentage of taxpayers reporting profit/loss from business in 2004 (pop 1,000+)"