|Median resident age:||37.5 years|
|Arkansas median age:||37.8 years|
Zip codes: 72396.
Wynne city income, earnings, and wages data
Estimated median house or condo value in 2012: $83,813 (it was $60,100 in 2000)
Median gross rent in 2012: $671.
- White alone - 5,214 (61.6%)
- Black alone - 2,783 (32.9%)
- Two or more races - 241 (2.8%)
- Asian alone - 118 (1.4%)
- Hispanic - 102 (1.2%)
- American Indian alone - 5 (0.06%)
|Looking to move to Wynne (0 replies)|
|needing to rent/lease house near Wynne, Arkansas (0 replies)|
|How different do you feel Western Arkansas is from Eastern Arkansas? (28 replies)|
|Just wanted to say.. (31 replies)|
|Why would we NOT want to move to Hot Springs? (83 replies)|
|Places in AR near Memphis, TN that are worth a quick visit. (15 replies)|
Latest news from Wynne, AR collected exclusively by city-data.com from local newspapers, TV, and radio stations
Ancestries: United States (14.9%), English (13.4%), Irish (11.8%), German (8.0%), Scottish (2.4%), Scotch-Irish (1.2%).
Current Local Time: CST time zone
Incorporated on 05/29/1888
Elevation: 260 feet
Land area: 8.15 square miles.
Population density: 1,017 people per square mile(low).
For population 25 years and over in Wynne:
- High school or higher: 84.8%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 15.2%
- Graduate or professional degree: 4.7%
- Unemployed: 8.5%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 22.9 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Wynne city:
- Never married: 25.7%
- Now married: 49.7%
- Separated: 3.7%
- Widowed: 9.6%
- Divorced: 11.3%
119 residents are foreign born
According to our research of Arkansas and other state lists there were 15 registered sex offenders living in Wynne, Arkansas as of May 25, 2015.
The ratio of number of residents in Wynne to the number of sex offenders is 555 to 1.
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units with mortgages in 2012: $494 (0.6%)
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units with no mortgage in 2012: $541 (0.7%)
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Jonesboro, AR (41.9 miles , pop. 55,515).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: Memphis, TN (46.9 miles , pop. 650,100).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: Dallas, TX (382.6 miles , pop. 1,188,580).
Nearest cities: Colt, AR (2.6 miles ), Caldwell, AR (3.3 miles ), Cherry Valley, AR (3.5 miles ), Parkin, AR (3.7 miles ), Forrest City, AR (3.9 miles ), Madison, AR (3.9 miles ), Widener, AR (3.9 miles ), Hickory Ridge, AR (4.1 miles ).
Single-family new house construction building permits:
- 1997: 28 buildings, average cost: $95,200
- 1998: 29 buildings, average cost: $85,600
- 1999: 21 buildings, average cost: $74,800
- 2000: 21 buildings, average cost: $65,000
- 2001: 52 buildings, average cost: $41,700
- 2002: 19 buildings, average cost: $141,900
- 2003: 37 buildings, average cost: $155,800
- 2004: 38 buildings, average cost: $167,100
- 2005: 39 buildings, average cost: $169,400
- 2006: 34 buildings, average cost: $168,700
- 2007: 29 buildings, average cost: $170,400
- 2008: 27 buildings, average cost: $175,100
- 2009: 19 buildings, average cost: $162,700
- 2010: 8 buildings, average cost: $157,900
- 2011: 42 buildings, average cost: $135,400
- 2012: 10 buildings, average cost: $191,000
Number of permits per 10,000 residents
Average cost (in $1000s)
Latitude: 35.23 N, Longitude: 90.79 W
Daytime population change due to commuting: +1,000 (+11.8%)
Workers who live and work in this city: 2,034 (60.0%)
Area code: 870
|Crime rates in Wynne by Year|
|City-data.com crime rate (higher means more crime, U.S. average = 300.1)||150.4||98.6||164.1||313.9||341.8||366.0||430.7||487.7||312.6||307.2|
(click on a table row to update graph)
Crime rate in Wynne detailed stats: murders, rapes, robberies, assaults, burglaries, thefts, arson
|Officers per 1,000 residents here:||2.03|
Unemployment by year (%)
Historical housing units
Population change in the 1990s: +376 (+4.6%).
- Retail trade (14%)
- Construction (12%)
- Transportation and warehousing (11%)
- Manufacturing (10%)
- Public administration (9%)
- Finance and insurance (6%)
- Utilities (6%)
- Health care and social assistance (25%)
- Retail trade (15%)
- Educational services (14%)
- Accommodation and food services (12%)
- Finance and insurance (8%)
- Public administration (7%)
- Other services, except public administration (5%)
- Other production occupations including supervisors (9%)
- Other sales and related workers including supervisors (7%)
- Driver/sales workers and truck drivers (6%)
- Other management occupations except farmers and farm managers (5%)
- Laborers and material movers, hand (5%)
- Law enforcement workers including supervisors (4%)
- Farmers and farm managers (4%)
- Textile, apparel, and furnishings workers (7%)
- Preschool, kindergarten, elementary and middle school teachers (7%)
- Other office and administrative support workers including supervisors (6%)
- Secretaries and administrative assistants (5%)
- Cooks and food preparation workers (5%)
- Other production occupations including supervisors (5%)
- Cashiers (4%)
Average climate in Wynne, Arkansas
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Wynne-area historical tornado activity is near Arkansas state average. It is 125% greater than the overall U.S. average.
On 3/21/1952, a category F4 (max. wind speeds 207-260 mph) tornado 17.8 miles away from the Wynne city center killed 29 people and injured 180 people and caused between $500,000 and $5,000,000 in damages.
On 3/21/1952, a category F4 tornado 17.8 miles away from the city center killed 4 people and injured 5 people and caused between $50,000 and $500,000 in damages.
Earthquake activity:Wynne-area historical earthquake activity is near Arkansas state average. It is 74% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 3/25/1976 at 00:41:20, a magnitude 5.0 (4.9 MB, 5.0 LG, Class: Moderate, Intensity: VI - VII) earthquake occurred 38.5 miles away from the city center
On 5/4/1991 at 01:18:54, a magnitude 5.0 (4.4 MB, 4.6 LG, 5.0 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 107.1 miles away from Wynne center
On 3/25/1976 at 01:00:11, a magnitude 4.5 (4.1 MB, 4.5 LG, Class: Light, Intensity: IV - V) earthquake occurred 31.7 miles away from the city center
On 4/27/1989 at 16:47:49, a magnitude 4.7 (4.6 MB, 4.7 LG, 4.3 LG) earthquake occurred 78.7 miles away from the city center
On 5/4/2001 at 06:42:12, a magnitude 4.7 (4.2 MB, 4.7 LG, 4.5 LG, Depth: 6.2 mi) earthquake occurred 79.4 miles away from Wynne center
On 1/21/1982 at 00:33:54, a magnitude 4.7 (4.5 MB, 4.7 LG, 4.5 LG) earthquake occurred 80.3 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: regional Lg-wave magnitude (LG), body-wave magnitude (MB)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Cross County (13) is near the US average (12).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 10
Emergencies Declared: 3
Causes of natural disasters: Storms: 8, Floods: 6, Tornadoes: 5, Winter Storms: 4, Hurricane: 1 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Birthplace of: DeAngelo Williams - African player of football, Hugh Taylor (American football) - Football player and coach, Buddy Brown - Football player, William H. Thomas (Medal of Honor) - Army Medal of Honor recipient.
Medal of Honor Recipients
Medal of Honor Recipient born in Wynne: William H. Thomas.
Hospitals and medical centers in Wynne:
- CROSSRIDGE COMMUNITY HOSPITAL (Voluntary non-profit - Private, provides emergency services, 310 SOUTH FALLS BOULEVARD)
- ST BERNARDS-WYNNE (310 S FALLS BLVD)
- CROSS COUNTY HEALTH UNIT (704 CANAL STREET)
- CROSSRIDGE COMM HOSPITAL HOME HEALTH (732 EAST ELDRIDGE AVENUE)
- CRESTPARK OF WYNNE INTERMEDIATE (901 CLEVELAND)
- CRESTPARK OF WYNNE SKILLED (P O BOX 1127 ARKANSAS ROWENA STS)
- CRESTPARK WYNNE, LLC (400 ARKANSAS STREET)
- RIVER RIDGE REHABILITATION AND CARE CENTER (1100 EAST MARTIN DRIVE)
- VILLAGE CREEK MANOR (1011 W COGBILL)
Airports and heliports located in Wynne:
- Hess Strip Airport (Runways: 1, Air Taxi Ops: 1,200, Itinerant Ops: 5,000, Local Ops: 10,000, Military Ops: 100)
- Wynne Municipal Airport (Runways: 1, Itinerant Ops: 2,000, Local Ops: 4,000)
- Cross County Hospital Heliport
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Wynne:
- Arkansas State University-Main Campus (about 44 miles; Jonesboro, AR; Full-time enrollment: 12,323)
- Southwest Tennessee Community College (about 44 miles; Memphis, TN; FT enrollment: 8,043)
- Rhodes College (about 46 miles; Memphis, TN; FT enrollment: 2,052)
- University of Memphis (about 47 miles; Memphis, TN; FT enrollment: 17,427)
- Harding University (about 54 miles; Searcy, AR; FT enrollment: 5,360)
- Northwest Mississippi Community College (about 63 miles; Senatobia, MS; FT enrollment: 6,607)
- Arkansas State University-Beebe (about 64 miles; Beebe, AR; FT enrollment: 3,387)
Public high school in Wynne:
Public elementary/middle schools in Wynne:
Notable locations in Wynne: Wynne City Hall (A), Cross County Library (B), Cross County Courthouse (C), Crest Park Nursing Home (D), Wynne Fire Station (E), Wynne Police Department (F), Cross County Sheriff's Office (G), Southern Care, Incorporated - Wynne (H). Display/hide their locations on the map
Churches in Wynne include: Saint Peters Church (A), Candlelight Baptist Church (B), Christian Fellowship Church (C), East Baptist Church (D), First Assembly of God Church (E), First Baptist Church (F), First Freewill Baptist Church (G), First United Methodist Church (H), Grace Baptist Church (I). Display/hide their locations on the map
Cemetery: Cogbill Cemetery (1). Display/hide its location on the map
Reservoir: Caney Creek Site Six Reservoir (A). Display/hide its location on the map
Creeks: Indian Creek (A), Turkey Creek (B). Display/hide their locations on the map
Hotels: Coachman's Inn Motel (425 Highway 64 West), Nationwide 9 Inn (708 Highway 64 East), Star Lite Motel (421 Highway 64 East).
Court: Wynne City - Municipal Court Clerk (205 Mississippi Street South).
Air pollution and air quality trends
(lower is better)
(11.5% for White Non-Hispanic residents, 27.8% for Black residents, 0.0% for Hispanic or Latino residents, 0.0% for American Indian residents, 0.0% for other race residents, 10.1% for two or more races residents)
|This city:||2.5 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
Likely homosexual households (counted as self-reported same-sex unmarried-partner households)
- Lesbian couples: 0.2% of all households
- Gay men: 0.2% of all households
54 people in local jails and other municipal confinement facilities in 2010
People in group quarters in Wynne in 2000:
- 175 people in nursing homes
- 66 people in other noninstitutional group quarters
- 59 people in local jails and other confinement facilities (including police lockups)
Wynne compared to Arkansas state average:
- Black race population percentage above state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage significantly below state average.
- Length of stay since moving in above state average.
Banks with branches in Wynne (2011 data):
- Cross County Bank: at 1 Cross County Plaza, branch established on 1891/06/04; North Branch at 1798 North Falls Boulevard, branch established on 1974/12/09. Info updated 2006/11/03: Bank assets: $173.2 mil, Deposits: $151.1 mil, local headquarters, positive income, Commercial Lending Specialization, 5 total offices, Holding Company: Cross County Bancshares, Inc.
- The First National Bank of Wynne: The First National Bank Of Wynne at 528 East Merriman Avenue, branch established on 1915/12/03; Ridgeview Branch at 806 Highway 64e, branch established on 2007/09/17. Info updated 2006/11/03: Bank assets: $259.8 mil, Deposits: $224.3 mil, local headquarters, positive income, Agricultural Specialization, 6 total offices, Holding Company: First National Corporation Of Wynne
- First National Bank of Eastern Arkansas: Wynne Branch at 363 East Union, branch established on 1934/07/01. Info updated 2006/11/03: Bank assets: $355.0 mil, Deposits: $314.3 mil, headquarters in Forrest City, AR, positive income, Agricultural Specialization, 14 total offices, Holding Company: Bancshares Of Eastern Arkansas, Inc.
- Regions Bank: Wynne Branch at 500 North Falls Boulevard, branch established on 1907/02/07. Info updated 2011/02/24: Bank assets: $123,368.2 mil, Deposits: $98,301.3 mil, headquarters in Birmingham, AL, positive income, Commercial Lending Specialization, 1778 total offices, Holding Company: Regions Financial Corporation
- Helena National Bank: Wynne Branch at 1812 North Falls Boulevard, branch established on 2008/06/02. Info updated 2006/11/03: Bank assets: $175.4 mil, Deposits: $149.9 mil, headquarters in Helena, AR, positive income, Agricultural Specialization, 6 total offices, Holding Company: Helena Bancshares, Inc.
- Evolve Bank & Trust: Wynne Branch at 1690 Falls Boulevard North, branch established on 2009/08/18. Info updated 2010/09/22: Bank assets: $246.3 mil, Deposits: $159.6 mil, headquarters in West Memphis, AR, positive income, Mortgage Lending Specialization, 22 total offices, Holding Company: Evolve Financial Group, Inc.
Educational Attainment (%) in 2012
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2012
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Utility gas (48%)
- Electricity (48%)
- Bottled, tank, or LP gas (3%)
- Wood (1%)
Presidential Elections Results
1996 Presidential Elections Results
2000 Presidential Elections Results
2004 Presidential Elections Results
2008 Presidential Elections Results
2012 Presidential Elections Results
Graphs represent county-level data. Detailed 2008 Election Results
Religion statistics for Wynne city (based on Cross County data)Percentage of population affiliated with a religious congregations: 81.03%
Breakdown of population affiliated with a religious congregations
|Name||Southern Baptist Convention||United Methodist Church||Assemblies of God||Catholic Church||Baptist Missionary Association of America|
|Name||Churches of Christ||Church of God (Cleveland, Tennessee)||Presbyterian Church (USA)||American Baptist Association||Other|
Tables represent county-level data.
Food Environment Statistics:
|Cross County:||2.14 / 10,000 pop.|
|Arkansas:||2.02 / 10,000 pop.|
|Cross County:||0.54 / 10,000 pop.|
|Arkansas:||0.59 / 10,000 pop.|
|Cross County:||3.22 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||4.94 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||4.29 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||6.66 / 10,000 pop.|
|Local government employment and payroll (March 2012)|
|Function||Full-time employees||Monthly full-time payroll||Average yearly full-time wage||Part-time employees||Monthly part-time payroll|
|Other Government Administration||1||$4,271||$51,252||10||$4,884|
|Judicial and Legal||3||$5,947||$23,788||2||$6,157|
|Police Protection - Officers||17||$47,508||$33,535||0||$0|
|Police - Other||2||$4,424||$26,544||0||$0|
|Fire - Other||1||$3,166||$37,992||0||$0|
|Streets and Highways||7||$18,077||$30,989||0||$0|
|Solid Waste Management||7||$15,549||$26,655||0||$0|
|Parks and Recreation||1||$3,071||$36,852||3||$2,697|
|Totals for Government||46||$123,303||$32,166||16||$14,176|
Wynne government finances - Expenditure in 2002 (per resident):
- Current Operations - Water Utilities: $671,000 ($80.89)
Police Protection: $500,000 ($60.28)
Sewerage: $447,000 ($53.89)
Fire Protection: $291,000 ($35.08)
Solid Waste Management: $211,000 ($25.44)
General - Other: $198,000 ($23.87)
Regular Highways: $179,000 ($21.58)
Central Staff Services: $95,000 ($11.45)
Judicial and Legal Services: $58,000 ($6.99)
Financial Administration: $36,000 ($4.34)
Air Transportation: $30,000 ($3.62)
Parks & Recreation: $26,000 ($3.13)
General Public Buildings: $6,000 ($0.72)
- Total Salaries & Wages: $1,598,000 ($192.65)
Wynne government finances - Revenue in 2002 (per resident):
- Charges - Sewerage: $790,000 ($95.24)
Solid Waste Management: $692,000 ($83.42)
- Local Intergovernmental - General Support: $686,000 ($82.70)
- Miscellaneous - General Revenue, NEC: $244,000 ($29.42)
Interest Earnings: $80,000 ($9.64)
- Revenue - Water Utilities: $1,186,000 ($142.98)
- State Intergovernmental - Highways: $390,000 ($47.02)
General Support: $150,000 ($18.08)
- Tax - Public Utilities: $351,000 ($42.31)
Property: $348,000 ($41.95)
NEC: $53,000 ($6.39)
Wynne government finances - Cash and Securities in 2002 (per resident):
- Other Funds - Cash & Deposits: $6,110,000 ($736.59)
6.18% of this county's 2011 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2010 ($29,226 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved from foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2010 and 2011:
|from St. Francis County, AR||0.89% ($37,545 average AGI)|
|from Crittenden County, AR||0.62% ($23,316)|
|from Craighead County, AR||0.57% ($28,143)|
6.86% of this county's 2010 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2011 ($28,096 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved to foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2010 and 2011:
Strongest AM radio stations in Wynne:
- KWYN (1400 AM; 1 kW; WYNNE, AR; Owner: EAST ARKANSAS BROADCASTERS, INC.)
- WCRV (640 AM; 50 kW; COLLIERVILLE, TN; Owner: BOTT BROADCASTING COMPANY/TENNESSEE)
- WDIA (1070 AM; 50 kW; MEMPHIS, TN; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WGSF (1030 AM; 50 kW; MEMPHIS, TN; Owner: FLINN BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- KXJK (950 AM; 5 kW; FORREST CITY, AR; Owner: FORREST CITY BROADCASTING CO., INC.)
- WMQM (1600 AM; 50 kW; LAKELAND, TN; Owner: WMQM, INC.)
- WJCE (680 AM; 10 kW; MEMPHIS, TN; Owner: ENTERCOM MEMPHIS LICENSE, LLC)
- KGHT (880 AM; 50 kW; SHERIDAN, AR; Owner: METROPOLITAN RADIO GROUP, INC.)
- KAAY (1090 AM; 50 kW; LITTLE ROCK, AR; Owner: CITADEL BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- KWAM (990 AM; 10 kW; MEMPHIS, TN; Owner: CONCORD MEDIA GROUP, INC.)
- WHBQ (560 AM; 5 kW; MEMPHIS, TN; Owner: FLINN BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WREC (600 AM; 5 kW; MEMPHIS, TN; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WCPC (940 AM; 50 kW; HOUSTON, MS; Owner: WCPC BROADCASTING CO., INC.)
Strongest FM radio stations in Wynne:
- KWYN-FM (92.5 FM; WYNNE, AR; Owner: EAST ARKANSAS BROADCASTERS, INC.)
- KTRQ (102.3 FM; COLT, AR; Owner: EAST ARKANSAS BROADCASTERS, INC.)
- KARH (88.1 FM; FORREST CITY, AR; Owner: AMERICAN FAMILY ASSOCIATION)
- WYPL (89.3 FM; MEMPHIS, TN; Owner: MEMPHIS/SHELBY COUNTY PUBLIC LIBRARY & INFO CNTR.)
- K204CK (91.5 FM; FORREST CITY, AR; Owner: AMERICAN FAMILY ASSOCIATION)
- K234AB (94.7 FM; FORREST CITY, AR; Owner: LITTLE ROCK SCHOOL DIST., UNV OF ARK)
- KFIN (107.9 FM; JONESBORO, AR; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- KABK-FM (97.7 FM; AUGUSTA, AR; Owner: FAMILY WORSHIP CENTER CHURCH, INC.)
TV broadcast stations around Wynne:
- KVTJ (Channel 48; JONESBORO, AR; Owner: AGAPE CHURCH, INC.)
- KAIT (Channel 8; JONESBORO, AR; Owner: LIBCO, INC.)
Fatal road traffic accident statistics for 1975 - 2011 (per 100,000 population)
- Fatal accident count: 30
- Vehicles involved in fatal accidents: 42
- Fatal accidents caused by drunken drivers: 7
- Fatalities: 34
- Persons involved in fatal accidents: 79
- Pedestrians involved in fatal accidents: 7
- Fatal accident count: 79
- Vehicles involved in fatal accidents: 120
- Fatal accidents caused by drunken drivers: 31
- Fatalities: 87
- Persons involved in fatal accidents: 204
- Pedestrians involved in fatal accidents: 9
FCC Registered Antenna Towers: 55 (See the full list of FCC Registered Antenna Towers)
FCC Registered Commercial Land Mobile Towers: 1 (See the full list of FCC Registered Commercial Land Mobile Towers in Wynne, AR)
FCC Registered Private Land Mobile Towers: 15 (See the full list of FCC Registered Private Land Mobile Towers)
FCC Registered Microwave Towers: 6 (See the full list of FCC Registered Microwave Towers in this town)
FCC Registered Paging Towers: 1 (See the full list of FCC Registered Paging Towers)
FCC Registered Maritime Coast & Aviation Ground Towers: 2 (See the full list of FCC Registered Maritime Coast & Aviation Ground Towers)
FCC Registered Amateur Radio Licenses: 46 (See the full list of FCC Registered Amateur Radio Licenses in Wynne)
FAA Registered Aircraft: 33 (See the full list of FAA Registered Aircraft in Wynne)
2006 National Fire Incident Reporting System Incidents:
- Fire: 111
- Hazardous Condition: 8
- Good Intent Call: 1
Incident types - Wynne
|Most common first names in Wynne, AR among deceased individuals|
|Most common last names in Wynne, AR among deceased individuals|
|Last name||Count||Lived (average)|
|Businesses in Wynne, AR|
Wynne on our top lists:
- #6 on the list of "Top 101 cities with largest percentage of males working in industry: Leather and allied products (population 5,000+)"
- #23 on the list of "Top 101 cities with largest percentage of females in occupations: Supervisors, construction and extraction workers (population 5,000+)"
- #23 on the list of "Top 101 cities with largest percentage of females working in industry: Leather and allied products"
- #30 on the list of "Top 101 cities with largest percentage of males in occupations: Advertising, marketing, promotions, public relations, and sales managers (population 5,000+)"
- #31 on the list of "Top 101 cities with largest percentage of males working in industry: Personal and laundry services (population 5,000+)"
- #68 on the list of "Top 101 cities with the highest number of burglaries in 2006 per 10,000 residents, excludes tourist destinations and others with a lot of outsiders visiting based on city industries data"
Total of 8 patent applications in 2008-2015.