|Median resident age:||28.0 years|
|New Mexico median age:||34.6 years|
Zip code: 87327
Zuni CCD income, earnings, and wages data
Estimated median house or condo value in 2012: $98,862 (it was $52,200 in 2000)
- American Indian alone - 7,306 (94.3%)
- White alone - 223 (2.9%)
- Hispanic - 163 (2.1%)
- Two or more races - 49 (0.6%)
- Black alone - 4 (0.05%)
- Asian alone - 4 (0.05%)
Current Local Time: MST time zone
Land area: 503.2 square miles.
Population density: 14 people per square mile(very low).
For population 25 years and over in Zuni:
- High school or higher: 64.4%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 6.8%
- Graduate or professional degree: 3.0%
- Unemployed: 18.6%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 13.2 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Zuni CCD:
- Never married: 39.4%
- Now married: 49.1%
- Separated: 2.9%
- Widowed: 6.4%
- Divorced: 5.1%
According to our research of New Mexico and other state lists there were 5 registered sex offenders living in Zuni, New Mexico as of April 01, 2015.
The ratio of number of residents in Zuni to the number of sex offenders is 1,452 to 1.
The number of registered sex offenders compared to the number of residents in this city is smaller than the state average.
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units in 2000:
|Zuni CCD:||0.5% ($254)|
|New Mexico:||0.7% ($699)|
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Rio Rancho, NM (119.7 miles , pop. 51,765).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: Albuquerque, NM (122.5 miles , pop. 448,607).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: Phoenix, AZ (217.7 miles , pop. 1,321,045).
Nearest cities: Black Rock, NM (1.2 miles ), Zuni Pueblo, NM (2.1 miles ), Ramah, NM (4.1 miles ), Pinehill, NM (4.7 miles) , Zuni-Ramah Navajo, NM (4.8 miles ), Lupton, AZ (4.8 miles) , Fence Lake, NM (5.1 miles) , Red Rock, NM (5.3 miles ).
Latitude: 35.10 N, Longitude: 108.78 W
Area code: 505
Unemployment by year (%)
- Construction (16%)
- Miscellaneous manufacturing (15%)
- Public administration (13%)
- Educational services (11%)
- Health care (7%)
- Jewelry, luggage, and leather goods stores (4%)
- Agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting (3%)
- Educational services (21%)
- Miscellaneous manufacturing (15%)
- Health care (13%)
- Public administration (9%)
- Social assistance (9%)
- Jewelry, luggage, and leather goods stores (7%)
- Religious, grantmaking, civic, professional, and similar organizations (4%)
- Other production occupations including supervisors (19%)
- Building and grounds cleaning and maintenance occupations (6%)
- Other sales and related workers including supervisors (5%)
- Carpenters (5%)
- Driver/sales workers and truck drivers (3%)
- Construction trades workers except carpenters, electricians, painters, plumbers, and construction laborers (3%)
- Other office and administrative support workers including supervisors (3%)
- Other production occupations including supervisors (15%)
- Other sales and related workers including supervisors (8%)
- Other teachers and instructors, education, training, and library occupations (7%)
- Preschool, kindergarten, elementary and middle school teachers (6%)
- Secretaries and administrative assistants (5%)
- Child care workers (5%)
- Nursing, psychiatric, and home health aides (4%)
Average climate in Zuni, New Mexico
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Earthquake activity:Zuni-area historical earthquake activity is above New Mexico state average. It is 257% greater than the overall U.S. average.
On 6/28/1992 at 11:57:34, a magnitude 7.6 (6.2 MB, 7.6 MS, 7.3 MW, Depth: 0.7 mi, Class: Major, Intensity: VIII - XII) earthquake occurred 445.8 miles away from the city center, causing 3 deaths (1 shaking deaths, 2 other deaths) and 400 injuries, causing $100,000,000 total damage and $40,000,000 insured losses
On 10/16/1999 at 09:46:44, a magnitude 7.4 (6.3 MB, 7.4 MS, 7.2 MW, 7.3 ML) earthquake occurred 436.8 miles away from Zuni center
On 5/19/1940 at 04:36:40, a magnitude 7.2 (7.2 UK) earthquake occurred 416.8 miles away from the city center, causing $33,000,000 total damage
On 12/31/1934 at 18:45:56, a magnitude 7.1 (7.1 UK) earthquake occurred 434.3 miles away from the city center
On 10/15/1979 at 23:16:54, a magnitude 7.0 (5.7 MB, 6.9 MS, 7.0 ML, 6.4 MW) earthquake occurred 424.2 miles away from Zuni center
On 7/21/1952 at 11:52:14, a magnitude 7.7 (7.7 UK) earthquake occurred 578.7 miles away from the city center, causing $50,000,000 total damage
Magnitude types: body-wave magnitude (MB), local magnitude (ML), surface-wave magnitude (MS), moment magnitude (MW)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in McKinley County (7) is smaller than the US average (12).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 5
Emergencies Declared: 2
Causes of natural disasters: Floods: 4, Storms: 4, Fires: 2, Hurricane: 1, Snow: 1 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Hospitals and medical centers in Zuni:
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Zuni:
- San Juan College (about 121 miles; Farmington, NM; Full-time enrollment: 5,112)
- Central New Mexico Community College (about 122 miles; Albuquerque, NM; FT enrollment: 19,398)
- University of New Mexico-Main Campus (about 122 miles; Albuquerque, NM; FT enrollment: 23,042)
- University of Phoenix-Albuquerque Campus (about 125 miles; Albuquerque, NM; FT enrollment: 2,335)
- Fort Lewis College (about 159 miles; Durango, CO; FT enrollment: 3,631)
- Santa Fe Community College (about 160 miles; Santa Fe, NM; FT enrollment: 3,047)
- Coconino Community College (about 163 miles; Flagstaff, AZ; FT enrollment: 2,090)
Public high schools in Zuni:
Public elementary/middle schools in Zuni:
- Dowa Yalanne Elementary School (Students: 254; Location: 22 SALT LAKE ROAD; Grades: K-4)
- Shiwi Elementary School (Students: 235; Location: 10 NORTH SANDY SPRINGS R; Grades: K-4)
- Zuni Mid School (Students: 232; Location: 447 MID SCHOOL DRIVE; Grades: 7-8)
- Zuni Middle North School (Students: 212; Location: 207 MID SCHOOL DRIVE; Grades: 5-6)
Private elementary/middle schools in Zuni:
Notable locations in Zuni: Nutria Campground (A), COA Number 1 Windmill (B), Bosson Ranch (C), Kechiba:wa Ruin (D), Ojo Pueblo (E), Soldado Ruin (F), Pueblo de los Muertos Historic Site (G), Yellow House Historic Site (H), Heshotauthla Historic Site (I), Kwa'kin'a Historic Site (J), Kyaki:ma Historic Site (K), Village of the Great Kivas Historic Site (L), Zuni Weather Station (M), Pueblo of Zuni Volunteer Fire and Emergency Medical Services Station 2 Zuni Village (N), Museum of Zuni (O), Pueblo of Zuni Volunteer Fire and Emergency Medical Services Station 1 Black Rock (P). Display/hide their locations on the map
Church in Zuni: Saint Anthony Parish (A). Display/hide its location on the map
Reservoirs: Nutria Diversion Reservoir (A), Pescado Reservoir (B), Tekapo Reservoir (C), Eustace Lake (D), Nutria Reservoir Number 3 (E), Jacks Lake (F), Upper Galestina Number One A Reservoir (G), Black Rock Reservoir (H). Display/hide their locations on the map
Streams, rivers, and creeks: Bosson Wash (A), Oak Wash (B), Rio Pescado (C), Rio Nutria (D), Cebolla Creek (E). Display/hide their locations on the map
Park in Zuni: Pueblo of Zuni Historical Marker (1). Display/hide its location on the map
Tourist attraction: Zuni Tribal Archives (Cultural Attractions- Events- & Facilities; 22 B Avenue) (1). Display/hide its approximate location on the map
Hotel: Inn at Halona (23 Pia Mesa) (1). Display/hide its approximate location on the map
|This place:||4.0 people|
|New Mexico:||2.5 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
Likely homosexual households (counted as self-reported same-sex unmarried-partner households)
- Lesbian couples: 0.7% of all households
- Gay men: 0.5% of all households
Residents with income below the poverty level in 2009:
Residents with income below 50% of the poverty level in 2009:
9 people in group homes intended for adults in 2010
People in group quarters in Zuni in 2000:
- 27 people in local jails and other confinement facilities (including police lockups)
- 12 people in religious group quarters
- 9 people in wards in general hospitals for patients who have no usual home elsewhere
- 6 people in homes for the mentally retarded
- 4 people in other noninstitutional group quarters
Zuni compared to New Mexico state average:
- Median household income below state average.
- Median house value significantly below state average.
- Black race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Median age significantly below state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage significantly below state average.
- Length of stay since moving in significantly above state average.
- Number of rooms per house significantly below state average.
- House age significantly below state average.
- Percentage of population with a bachelor's degree or higher significantly below state average.
Educational Attainment (%) in 2000
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2000
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Wood (62%)
- Bottled, tank, or LP gas (29%)
- Utility gas (4%)
- Electricity (4%)
- Other fuel (1%)
Presidential Elections Results
1996 Presidential Elections Results
2000 Presidential Elections Results
2004 Presidential Elections Results
2008 Presidential Elections Results
2012 Presidential Elections Results
Graphs represent county-level data. Detailed 2008 Election Results
Religion statistics for Zuni CCD (based on McKinley County data)Percentage of population affiliated with a religious congregations: 39.77%
Breakdown of population affiliated with a religious congregations
|Name||Catholic Church||LDS (Mormon) Church||Southern Baptist Convention||Christian Reformed Church in North America||Church of God (Cleveland, Tennessee)|
|Name||Assemblies of God||United Methodist Church||Church of the Nazarene||Conservative Baptist Association of America||Other|
Tables represent county-level data.
Food Environment Statistics:
|McKinley County:||1.86 / 10,000 pop.|
|New Mexico:||1.44 / 10,000 pop.|
|This county:||0.14 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||0.21 / 10,000 pop.|
|McKinley County:||0.29 / 10,000 pop.|
|New Mexico:||0.32 / 10,000 pop.|
|McKinley County:||6.86 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||4.06 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||6.14 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||7.12 / 10,000 pop.|
8.50% of this county's 2011 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2010 ($25,118 average adjusted gross income)
|New Mexico average:||6.50%|
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved from foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2010 and 2011:
|from San Juan County, NM||3.26% ($23,497 average AGI)|
|from Apache County, AZ||1.47% ($23,221)|
|from Bernalillo County, NM||0.96% ($20,482)|
7.76% of this county's 2010 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2011 ($28,238 average adjusted gross income)
|New Mexico average:||6.43%|
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved to foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2010 and 2011:
Strongest AM radio stations in Zuni:
- KHAC (880 AM; 43 kW; TSE BONITO, NM; Owner: WESTERN INDIAN MINISTRIES, INC.)
- KTNN (660 AM; 50 kW; WINDOW ROCK, AZ; Owner: THE NAVAJO NATION)
- KGAK (1330 AM; 5 kW; GALLUP, NM; Owner: KRJG, INC.)
- KKOB (770 AM; 50 kW; ALBUQUERQUE, NM; Owner: CITADEL BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- KRKE (1100 AM; 5 kW; MILAN, NM; Owner: CIBOLA RADIO COMPANY)
- KMIA (710 AM; 50 kW; BLACK CANYON CITY, AZ; Owner: ENTRAVISION HOLDINGS, LLC)
- KFLT (830 AM; 50 kW; TUCSON, AZ; Owner: FAMILY LIFE B/CING SYSTEM, INC.)
- KFNX (1100 AM; 50 kW; CAVE CREEK, AZ; Owner: NORTH AMERICAN BROADCASTING CO., INC.)
- KTHR (1230 AM; 1 kW; GALLUP, NM; Owner: MILLENNIUM MEDIA, INC.)
- KMIK (1580 AM; 50 kW; TEMPE, AZ; Owner: ABC, INC.)
- KPXQ (1360 AM; 50 kW; GLENDALE, AZ; Owner: COMMON GROUND BROADCASTING, INC.)
- KKIM (1000 AM; 10 kW; ALBUQUERQUE, NM; Owner: AGM-NEVADA, LLC)
- KINF (1020 AM; 50 kW; ROSWELL, NM; Owner: JAMES CRYSTAL HOLDINGS OF NEW MEXICO, INC.)
Strongest FM radio stations in Zuni:
- KSHI (90.9 FM; ZUNI, NM; Owner: ZUNI COMMUNICATIONS AUTHORITY)
- KXXI (93.7 FM; GALLUP, NM; Owner: MILLENNIUM MEDIA, INC.)
- KGLX (99.1 FM; GALLUP, NM; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- K297AG (107.3 FM; ZUNI, NM; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- KYVA (103.7 FM; GRANTS, NM; Owner: MILLENNIUM MEDIA, INC.)
- KKOR (94.5 FM; GALLUP, NM; Owner: MILLENNIUM MEDIA, INC.)
- KGLP (91.7 FM; GALLUP, NM; Owner: GALLUP PUBLIC RADIO)
- KXTC (99.9 FM; THOREAU, NM; Owner: KXTC, L.L.C.)
- KQLV (105.5 FM; GRANTS, NM; Owner: EDUCATIONAL MEDIA FOUNDATION)
- KTDB (89.7 FM; RAMAH, NM; Owner: RAMAH NAVAJO SCHOOL BOARD, INC.)
TV broadcast stations around Zuni:
- K43DL (Channel 43; ZUNI, NM; Owner: ZUNI PUBLIC SCHOOL DISTRICT)
- K08HQ (Channel 8; CHINLE, AZ; Owner: KOB-TV, LLC)
- K02EY (Channel 2; ZUNI, NM; Owner: ZUNI TRIBE T.V.)
- K09FR (Channel 9; ZUNI PUEBLO, NM; Owner: ZUNI COMMUNICATIONS AUTHORITY)
- K16DL (Channel 16; ZUNI PUEBLO, NM; Owner: KOB-TV, LLC)
- K39FY (Channel 39; ZUNI, NM; Owner: EMMIS TELEVISION LICENSE CORPORATION)
Fatal road traffic accident statistics for 1975 - 2011 (per 100,000 population)
- Fatal accident count: 45
- Vehicles involved in fatal accidents: 53
- Fatal accidents caused by drunken drivers: 32
- Fatalities: 52
- Persons involved in fatal accidents: 124
- Pedestrians involved in fatal accidents: 0
- Fatal accident count: 129
- Vehicles involved in fatal accidents: 185
- Fatal accidents caused by drunken drivers: 54
- Fatalities: 142
- Persons involved in fatal accidents: 352
- Pedestrians involved in fatal accidents: 22
FCC Registered Cell Phone Towers:2 (See the full list of FCC Registered Cell Phone Towers in Zuni)
FCC Registered Antenna Towers:12 (See the full list of FCC Registered Antenna Towers)
FCC Registered Private Land Mobile Towers:9 (See the full list of FCC Registered Private Land Mobile Towers in Zuni, NM)
FCC Registered Microwave Towers:13 (See the full list of FCC Registered Microwave Towers in this town)
FCC Registered Amateur Radio Licenses:1
- Call Sign: KC5BOT, Licensee ID: L00664367
Grant Date: 04/11/2013, Expiration Date: 06/29/2023, Certifier: Bradley V Peyketewa
Registrant: Bradley V Peyketewa, 02a Laweka St, Zuni, NM 87327
2006 National Fire Incident Reporting System Incidents:
- Fire: 1
Zuni on our top lists:
- #41 on the list of "Top 100 highest located cities (pop. 5,000+)"
- #99 on the list of "Top 100 cities with largest land areas (pop. 5,000+)"
- #16 (87327) on the list of "Top 101 zip codes with the largest percentage of Other groups first ancestries (pop 5,000+)"
- #26 (87327) on the list of "Top 101 zip codes with the largest percentage of residents speaking other language at home"
- #5 on the list of "Top 101 counties with the largest number of people without health insurance coverage in 2000"
- #15 on the list of "Top 101 counties with the largest number of children under 18 without health insurance coverage in 2000"
- #35 on the list of "Top 101 counties with the highest number of births per 1000 residents 2000-2003 (pop 50,000+)"
- #99 on the list of "Top 101 counties with highest percentage of residents voting for Kerry (Democrat) in the 2004 Presidential Election"