View Single Post

Old 07-18-2010, 12:42 PM
kovert

6,084 posts, read 6,048,136 times
Paquito have you come across Maya Schatzmiller's essay "The Legacy of the Andalusian Berbers"?

I have been searching for it for some time now to no avail.

I hope it is available in English and I would appreciate anyone's help in locating this text.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cold View Post
I saw that there was a previous thread on the subject of the race of the original Egyptians that went on and on.
The Egyptians did not see themselves as black, according to their own artwork. they were in all probability similar in skin color to the people who live there now, a sort of mixed look, with darker skin, hair and eyes.

Egyptians painted themselves either lighter or darker, but not as dark brown or black. I don't believe they would have classed themselves as being white or black, but Egyptian. As I understand it, they still consider themselves as neither white or black, but Egyptian.
Actually check out Wildung's essay in this text. Egyptians often depicted themselves no different from those of the Nubian portion of the Nile.

And even when they did, the reddish brown color of the males were used likewise for the people of Punt, most likely located in the Horn of Africa (between coastal Ethiopia and Somalia).

The yellowish color of the females was likewise used for Libyans.

And as I posted previously the Egyptians are closest to other Saharan and northeast African peoples in terms of physical anthropology.