View Single Post

Old 10-24-2011, 03:09 PM
Tappan Zee

491 posts, read 1,652,281 times
Default Hanauma Bay

Hanauma Bay is a great place for snorkeking. According to the Park Ranger, in order for you to avoid the crowds, avoid going on Wednesday because they close the park for maintenance on Tues and it just gets packed and you can't even get in to park your car. Friday is another day to avoid, it's packed same as Wed.

I believe the entrance fee is $7.50 or $7.00 if I'm not mistaken. It's free for Hawaiian residents. BTW, all beaches are open to the public, even in the 5 star resorts and million dollar beach homes, but you will know who is a guess there and who isn't a guess there. Some resorts will sort of make you feel unwelcome by making it a bit harder to get to the beach even though there should be public access as in some beaches in Kaanapali in Maui.

There's a mandatory video that must be watched before you can go down to the bay, if you sign after the video they register your name on their computer and you can come back without having to go through that for up to a year. You can rent snorkeling equipment at the beach if you want. There's also a bus service for if don't want to hike down and up ....I think it's $1.50 roundtrip or $2.50 for a whole day, if you need to get back to your car.

The facilities are decent and you can rinse yourself clean. In my opinion, this is a great place for beginning snorkelers and kids because the currents are calm and there's yards and yards of reef where it doesn't go above 5ft deep. You can also be more adventurous and snorkel the entire bay and make it a good workout.

Back of a mall and got a quick bite to eat and shaved ice before snorkeling. I think this is Hawaii Kai town center.

Parking lot of Hanauma Bay

Hanauma Bay