View Single Post

Old 03-22-2012, 11:49 AM
uggabugga

26,971 posts, read 19,141,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big George View Post
You mean farmers like my dad, all his neighbors, and virtually everybody in my family?

I was visiting with DaddyO about this the other night. He just rolls his eyes, laughs, and says that the common denominator among all these "Anti GMO Experts" is that they all live in cities & know nothing about agriculture.
naw, he'd probably tell me your dad is some sort of heretic
he seems to be under the impression that GM wheat is actually approved and grown in this country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlenextyear View Post
I don't think GMO's are inherently evil. But agricultural is sure making a mess of it. Let's compare.

Genetic Engineering in medicine: Inserting the human insulin gene into a bacteria. Bacteria then produces a buttload of insulin. What an easy and inexpensive way to make medicine for millions of people suffering from diabetes! Cool beans.

Gene therapy: Hey, maybe if we shoot these healthy genes into people with Cystic Fibrosis, it will alleviate their symptoms! Awesome!

Genetically engineered pets: Oh cool. If we insert a jellyfish gene into these goldfish, they glow in the dark. What a cool novelty item that might get kids interested in Biology.

Genetically engineered crops: Let's make a crop that will allow us to sell MORE CHEMICALS! Then farmers will have to buy our seeds every year and gallons of our herbicides. We'll make BILLIONS! While we're at it, we'll sue the farmers next door because the pollen has contaminated their crops: they are obviously crooks who are stealing the genes. We'll use the profits to lobby Congress to stop GMO labeling and perpetuate the current farm bill, which is costly to the nation's environmental and human health. I know, I know, we could've instead created drought tolerant crops, which would be pretty useful to all these developing nations who are running out of water. But where's the money in that?
So in conclusion, Genetic Engineering in medicine=KINDA COOL. Genetic Engineering in agriculture = EPIC FAIL.
the problem with this is, when they do exactly that, the anti-GM crowd is still screeching to beat the band. see thread:
Monsanto Corn gets trial approval by USDA!

another nifty plant in the pipeline is GM soy that makes omega-3 fatty acids that you can otherwise only get from eating fish.
do you really think the anti-GM crowd is going to welcome that with open arms?

http://www.newscientist.com/article/...fe-to-eat.html