View Single Post

Old 11-19-2012, 08:08 PM
jade408

28,226 posts, read 36,925,903 times
Hmm well I'd call myself an armchair feminist. And there are a few areas where feminism differs, in my book, for women of different ethnic groups.

Here is an FYI/commentary on the whole sluutwalk issue: They’re Going to Laugh at You: White Women, Betrayal, and the N-Word | Racialicious - the intersection of race and pop culture

So we all know about the never-ending trope of stereotypes for black women. And surprisingly enough, black woman are doing OK in corporate america. At least up to the middle management level. Because the "agressive" stereotype can sort of play well when it is time to get ahead. Until you hit the glass ceiling of course.

So when women are "reclaiming" the word ****, I really can't relate. If you ever look at the stats on street harassment and the like, black women have it a lot worse. Because we aren't supposed to be as "feminine" as women of other ethnic groups. And there have been hundreds of years of stereotyping of the "exotic" and "sexual" black woman. It is almost as if by default, we are already considered sluts. I'd rather spend my time reclaiming the right to not be considered a ****. And maybe a little while to be considered the epitome of femininity, instead of the opposite.

Both of my grandmothers "worked outside the home." There was no big victory for the right to work. They were already working. Their fight wasn't the right to work. It was the right to have time at home with their families (and living wages). And the right to send their children to a quality school.

I know there is a lot of the BS about putting women on a pedestal. In many ways, for white women the goal was to get off the pedestal. For women of the color, it would be nice to be considered worthy of the pedestal.

That doesn't mean we can't all work towards the same goals, but I don't think the feminist movement does a good job of looking at other perspectives.

So back to the whole equal pay, equal work thing. A couple of months ago, someone did a study, and they assigned a few company profile to different types of leaders. In the case the company failed in the profile, black women were judged more harshly than the white female counterparts. Black Women Leaders Face 'Double Jeopardy,' Harsher Criticism Than Others: Study

Even though we are all women, most of the time, for women of color we are seen as black (or asian, latina or maybe even lesbian) first. And by default the feminist movement doesn't address those "2 strikes."

**ok this was a little disjointed, I hope it makes sense.