View Single Post

Old 03-11-2008, 09:12 PM
Kele

4,803 posts, read 8,763,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
Funny, relativistic thinking is the one that has the problems with existing by its own definition. It is also the chosen rhetoric of the unfounded and illogical.

I laid out the facts to you, explained it through history and definition, yet you proclaim "your" truth by citing occurrences that do not change the facts, but rather attempt to explain away the deviation from them.

"Its true for you, but not for me" is nothing more than an emotional offense that requires no founding, no proof, no reason, no understanding, no logic. It exists simply because a mouth is opened and spews it forth. Its fallacy is that by its simple existence, it is therefore valid. It is no wonder it is so often used by those with "no leg to stand on".
Historically speaking, you are wrong.

Throughout history, dating back thousands of years, same sex marriages have been recognized and encouraged by various societies. You simply refuse to acknowledge this as truth because it doesn't fit into your idealistic western civilization notion of marriage. I hate to burst your bubble but those very protagonists of "Western Civilization," the Greeks and the Romans both practiced same sex marriages.

By dismissing same sex marriages in societies other than our own, you show your ethnocentricity. By refusing to acknowledge that marriages in many other cultures are formed for reasons than procreation, you show a certain naivete with regards to culture in its widest ethnographic sense. Same sex marriages flourished in societies where they were promoted for reasons of companionship, financial stability, and even as a form of birth control.

I have a B.A. in Anthropology and am currently working on my Master's. I have read more ethnographies than Carter has little green pills. There are numerous societies even today where same sex marriage is practiced and has been practiced for thousands of years. The U.S. didn't invent marriage and it certainly doesn't have a patent on the "correct" marriage method. As a matter of fact, the first written record of marriage was written in cuneiform and is a listing of the bride's dowry. Yes, even those heathen Sumerians practiced the exclusive tradition of marriage.

My "legs" are the legs of scientific study and anthropological evidence. I believe that I will continue to look to science for answers rather than some guy on a forum who really has nothing more than his own insistence that he is correct.

If ever you decide to actually research the subject, let me know. I have a list of scholarly articles and reading materials you might find helpful.