View Single Post

Old 08-11-2014, 11:06 PM
Pleroo

16,002 posts, read 8,323,240 times
I just heard that Robin Williams died today. Possibly a suicide. I loved him in so many of his acting roles. And he was in my all-time favorite movie, "What Dreams May Come". In that movie, his character's wife commits suicide. When he dies in a car accident shortly after, he finds out that his wife is in hell, because of her suicide. His love for her is so great that he determines he must go to her, and bring her out.

He is warned that he can't stay with her too long, because he will begin to lose touch with reality, and he won't be able to get out of hell, himself. When he finds his wife, she is so lost in her pain and grief that she can't recognize him and he can't get through to her to free her. Just as he was warned, he begins to lose himself to the illusion of hell, but he determines that he simply will not leave his wife, though he must sacrifice his own soul to stay with her. Of course, there's a happy ending, and they both are saved by their love for each other.

I can see in that Robin Williams character what it seems to me is the message of Jesus. God's love for us is so great that he comes into this hell on earth that we've created for ourselves, willing to lose himself in it, to sacrifice himself. He wants to set us free from the illusion that we are separated from God -- to bring us the message that we are not alone. Though we may feel that we are just groping hopelessly about in the dark and pain, God, who is love, is not far from us*. He's right *here*.

I know, I know ... it's just some new age malarkey.

~Thank you Robin Williams... on more than one occasion your work was insrumental in helping me experience the light of God's love during some dark times. ~

*Acts 17:27

Last edited by Pleroo; 08-11-2014 at 11:23 PM..