View Single Post

Old 05-01-2008, 08:43 PM
rnc76

2,126 posts, read 6,804,722 times
^^^Sounds like a nice loop but it doesn't really give a feel for Huntsville.

Here is a "loop" for downtown and Southeast Huntsville. I'll be specific in parts and others not so much... but here it goes. Regardless, I would have a map handy.

-From the Best Western, drive east on University Dr./US72.
-At Memorial Parkway, stay straight and go under overpass for 431/231 Memorial Parkway (Toys R Us, Books A Million, Home Depot will be on left). The road turns into Pratt Ave.
-Take right on Washington Street, this takes you downtown
-Have a map handy, I can't really tell you a loop in this area
-You can park here and walk around the square and walk down into Big Spring Park
-Get back in car, head south on Madison St, take left on Williams, you are in the historic district, Twickenham
-Make sure to drive down Adams, Franklin, McClung, Echols, Williams and gauk at houses
-Go back through downtown to Holmes Ave, take right, drive through Old Town
-At stoplight at Andrew Jackson, stay straight and go past Star Market and into Five Points, you are now back on Pratt Ave
-Continue east down Pratt, it turns into Bankhead Parkway and heads up to Monte Sano State Park, there are neighborhoods up there as well
-Go to the scenic overlook at the park, if you are with little kids, they also have a great playground next to the lodge
-Get on Monte Sano Blvd and head south towards Governor's Dr, US 431
-Stop at Burritt on the Mountain if you are interested (old mansion, farm animals, restored cabins...)
-Left on Governor's/US431
-At the bottom of the hill you are in Hampton/Big Cove, the community sits surrounded by large forested hills, very nice setting
-At Sutton (Lowe's will be on right), if you go left you go back into the Hampton Cove subdivisions, these are nice, newer neighborhoods
-Take right at Sutton and go up hill (I mean mountain )
-Go up and over hill and enjoy the view down into Big Cove
-On the other side of the hill, you are in Jones Valley
-Take right at Carl T Jones, there will be a nice shopping center on your left (Target, Barnes and Noble, Pier One, restaurants) and a beautiful pasture with a large wooded hill behind it on your right (this is Jones Farm)
-Again go up and over another hill and Carl T Jones turns into Airport Road
-You'll see more shopping here (Publix, Fresh Market, some nice restaurants...)
- If you stay straight at Whitesburg this will take you to Memorial Parkway, if you take a right and you head back towards the hospital and downtown

I think that is a nice "loop" that would give you a feel for downtown and southeast Huntsville.

To get a feel for the high tech companies in town, just drive across University Dr from your hotel onto Enterprise Way. You will be right in the Research Park. Just drive around for a while back there. There are tons of companies and lots of new buildings being built. Generally, east of Research Park Blvd (255) is the "older" part and west is the "newer" part. So the west side has more of the gleaming glass buildings but there are high tech research companies throughout. Go east on Bradford through the park and you will end up at UAH. Also make sure to check out Bridge Street, Huntsville's newest(and most upscale) shopping complex, at the corner of Research Park Blvd and Old Madison Pike.

Good places to eat:
-Thomas Pit (North Alabama BBQ, ribs are amazing, the place is a local institution), US72 West a few miles from your hotel
-Tony's Little Italy in the Village of Providence (which is worth checking out as well), only a mile or so west on US72
-Rosie's, Tex-Mex, not my favorite but it is fun, lively and very kid friendly, about 1/4 mile from you
-Gibson's BBQ, South Parkway, family friendly
-Bandito Burrito, I recommend the one in "downtown" Madison for family friendly atmosphere, I like it much better than Rosie's as far as food goes
-Hildegard's, great German food, cozy little place at the corner of Whitesburg and Bob Wallace in small shopping center

Last edited by rnc76; 05-01-2008 at 09:35 PM.. Reason: food recommendations