View Single Post

Old 08-15-2015, 12:06 PM
dsjj251

29,637 posts, read 16,655,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm4 View Post
The triggers and microaggressions and hurtful language of contemporary higher ed now come back to haunt the teachers in the schools that indulged and attended to them:

_"I'm a liberal professor, and my liberal students terrify me"_
I'm a liberal professor, and my liberal students terrify me - Vox

_"The Coddling of the American Mind"_
"In the name of emotional well-being, college students are increasingly demanding protection from words and ideas they don’t like. Here’s why that’s disastrous for education—and mental health."
How Trigger Warnings Are Hurting Mental Health on Campus - The Atlantic

"During the 2014–15 school year, for instance, the deans and department chairs at the 10 University of California system schools were presented by administrators at faculty leader-training sessions with examples of microaggressions. The list of offensive statements included: “America is the land of opportunity” and “I believe the most qualified person should get the job.”"

_"Not a Very P.C. Thing to Say"_
"How the language police are perverting liberalism."
Not a Very P.C. Thing to Say -- NYMag

"Stanford recently canceled a performance of Bloody Bloody Andrew Jackson after protests by Native American students. UCLA students staged a sit-in to protest microaggressions such as when a professor corrected a student’s decision to spell the word indigenous with an uppercase I — one example of many “perceived grammatical choices that in actuality reflect ideologies.” A theater group at Mount Holyoke College recently announced it would no longer put on The Vagina Monologues in part because the material excludes women without vaginas. These sorts of episodes now hardly even qualify as exceptional.
Your Liberal professor article was completely hypothetical, the only real example he gave was actually a Conservative who basically called the professor a communist

Quote:
"What about Fannie and Freddie?" he asked. "Government kept giving homes to black people, to help out black people, white people didn't get anything, and then they couldn't pay for them. What about that?"

Last edited by Ibginnie; 08-17-2015 at 09:12 AM.. Reason: copyright violation