View Single Post

Old 03-26-2016, 10:28 PM
nei

46,079 posts, read 46,215,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by memph View Post
That post has been updated to include Canadian and New Zealand cities. Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver have similar densities to mid sized German and British cities while Christchurch and Aukland are similar to Canada's mid-sized cities (Calgary, etc) but Wellington is significantly denser despite being more like Halifax or Victoria for total population.
I've mapped a few American cities on a km square grid, with the same colors as that link. Some details most won't care about:

Spoiler
Using block groups, I missed some water area unlike the link (I'd rather skip water but it wouldn't match their link). But if I use census tracts, some low density areas will have no census tracts in them — the census tracts are larger than a square kilometer; so I was left with a lot of blank spots. Census tracts without water area inflated the weighted density by about 7%. Census tracts vs block groups made little difference, since I was regridding per square km.

I didn't use the same map scale as the chartingtransport though the density colors are the same.

Use the legend from chartingtransport.com to see what density level each color refers to. X and Y labels refer to longitude and latitude. All use the US Census defined urban area boundaries. New York City:

Philadelphia:

Boston:

San Francisco Bay Area:

Los Angeles:

San Diego:

Bar chart similar to the ones in chartingtransport, denser part of NYC is very similar to Paris. NYC almost certainly has the largest density range of any developed world city.

Last edited by nei; 03-30-2016 at 08:17 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote