View Single Post

Old 06-04-2018, 07:26 AM
astrohip

5,819 posts, read 7,232,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xray731 View Post
But people only seem to get incensed about racism if it's spoken by a republican or a white person. The liberals don't jump on their own for racist or crude comments about the current president or whites.
Not true. Racism is racism, and all are equally abhorred.

The issue is many equate what I've bolded in your statement: racist or crude. HUGE difference. A racist comment by anyone, lib or cons, gets you condemned. But many pundits make crude (too crude IMHO, but that's not the point) remarks, and then some people get incensed when they aren't pilloried. But crude remarks are just that--crude. But racism is discriminating against an entire group of people, and not acceptable. A crude comment is just a comment.

Here is one of the best comments on racist/crude, specifically Roseanne vs Sam Bee:

Here's my take. Being labeled as a racist in our current climate is career poison. It's unacceptable in pretty much all levels of society. It shows a hatred not for an individual person, but for an entire population of people that the racist views as inferior. Being a racist is not going to fly.

Calling an individual person a name, even if it's a very vulgar name, does not have the same societal weight as using a racial slur. I don't think it mattered that it was the c-word, or that it was a woman using that word against another woman. I think it's all about the scope of the words used. One is directed at an individual, the other is directed at millions of people. One shows a dislike of a single person (something we can all relate to) while the other shows a disdain for an entire race (something hopefully very few of us can relate to). They're just not on the same level at all.