View Single Post

Old 11-05-2008, 08:04 AM
Charles

26,329 posts, read 93,786,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Folks, we're talking about one of the higher median income and median house price zip codes, 80132 in Colorado.

I'm still smoking ****ed off about the school money not being voted for. What kind of message does that send our educators? (Ya, I know LP dropped the ball with that school board director and the whole eminent domain thing with the high school.)
It's mind boggling that these (11/4/2008) results come from a community loaded with educated, wealthy, proactive parents:
"LEWIS-PALMER SCHOOL DISTRICT 38
QUESTION 3C: Would provide up to $2.7 million to maintain class sizes, preserve elementary reading teachers and student support services, increase teacher compensation to more competitive levels.
THE VOTE: 56 percent opposed and 44 percent in favor with 100 percent of the vote counted.
REACTION: John Mann, D-38's school board vice president said: "The funding was intended to put some critical programs in place, and enable us to keep our salaries competitive. There's no exit polls, but I believe that the economy didn't help."
I wonder if John thinks the economy is any better ten miles south:
"ACADEMY SCHOOL DISTRICT 20
QUESTION: 3A asked voters for permission to move about 2.5 mills from the bond fund to increase the operating fund by about $14.5 million without increasing taxes. Eighty percent of the money would go toward increasing teacher salaries and adding teachers. The remainder would go toward curriculum and technology upgrades, security, maintenance and upgrades to support increased enrollment and to increase a reserve fund.
With the apparent approval of the measure, the district still will pay off the bonds in December 2027 as scheduled. Based on growth and assessment estimates, the move will add about $3 million to the general fund the first year, $8 million the second and up to $14 million a year thereafter.
THE VOTE: 53 percent of votes in favor and 47 percent opposed with 100 percent of the vote counted.
REACTION: Superintendent Mark Hatchell said he was "nervous but hopeful" as he and other D-20 staffers and volunteers waited as the vote tally trickled in. He lauded the 350 volunteers who helped get the district's message out to voters."
from

Top Stories: SCHOOLS: Districts asking voters for financial help | voters, district, asking : Gazette.com