View Single Post

Old 02-14-2009, 12:38 PM
Tober138

4,713 posts, read 9,701,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidMar View Post
While you may disagree that the graph shows something or other, you may not disagree that it is "accurate" unless you can show an error in the data.
Well then - I could plot a graph, and replace the one plotted line (asking price) with, say, my age. Then we would have a graph showing that as I have gotten older in the past 42 months, sales prices have fallen. The "accuracy" of the graph could not be disputed - as the data would contain no errors. What could be disputed is how meaningful the presented data is - which was my point regarding your initial post.

Quote:
Why so angry? No need to personally attack me.
Suggesting that you buy a statistics textbook was not a personal attack, nor was I being facetious. It was a serious suggestion. If you are going to speak about statistics and data, it would probably help if you had a better understanding of statistical methodology - the fact that you rely solely on overall averages to prove a point, and as the single basis from which you choose to extrapolate your hypothesis, suggests a lack of understanding in that area. Also - when it comes to stats, the question is not so much one of "accuracy" (the anchor of your argument) but, rather, one of "validity".

Quote:
Several posters, who I'd guess are realtors/banker types, have obviously spent a very long time writing up their posts and trying to find holes in a simple average-sales-price line graph.
The "holes" I find in your statements have nothing to do with the graph itself - where I find 'holes" is in how you have chosen to interpret this graph as the basis for your statements and suggestions. It does show average asking price compared to average sales price (with no other controls) - that is clear. But that is the only point you can make with this graph - asking prices have gone up and sales prices have gone down in the time period plotted. You cannot use this chart as the basis to validly make, or support, any other statement that you have made.

For the record, since you were quoting from my previous post in this one of yours, I'm neither a realtor or a banker - I work in pharmaceutical research.

Last edited by Tober138; 02-14-2009 at 12:57 PM..