View Single Post

Old 02-26-2009, 05:09 AM
sean sean sean sean

2,845 posts, read 10,512,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocafeller05 View Post
Does anyone know where there is an updated list of NYS rankings of High Schools?

Such as this...

Ranking of High Schools in New York

And is there an accredible list(same tests) out there that compare national schools on the High School level?
You are supposed to pay for their current rankings, but in 2007 I personally compiled the scores off this exact website (PSK12.com) into a list and posted it on here.

Here is that post - I've linked to this hundreds of times!

That is, of course, data from the '05-'06 school year as it was the most recent available at that time. Ignore the % of students receiving free lunch column. I was asked to include that by another poster and wish I hadn't, it has nothing to do with education.

Like AlexisT said, these rankings don't come anywhere close to being the final word on where schools stand in the grand scheme of things....but I do think they provide a decent overview, and starting point for comparisons sake. It's also very, very important to know what the criteria is....just a bunch of names on a page (or screen) means absolutely nothing. I tend to think anything based on, or heavily weighted towards, AP scores is a complete joke and not at all indicative of the kind of education students in the district are receiving.

The PSK12.com "Standard Ranking" is based on this simple math:
Students Scoring >85 on Regents English = x
Students Scoring >85 on Regents US History = y
Students Scoring >85 on Regents Global History = z

(x+y+z)/3 = Standard Ranking

Maybe too simple, but despite that I think this is one of the more accurate representations of LI high schools that I've seen.

I have been working on my own ranking system that is taking forever, Nassau is finished and Suffolk is halfway done....unfortunately I don't have a lot of free time to do these things.

Here's a teaser, the rankings for Nassau County only. I don't have the time to explain exactly what goes into these numbers right now, but the main idea was to create something that took into account a broader range of students, a broader range of subjects and not only test scores but things like graduation rate, students attending college...and last but not least take into account performance over three years as opposed to one. To give you an idea how complicated this was and how many factors went into it - here's a tiny portion of the equation I used from my notes.

(((((std07*100)/300)-68) + ((eng07+ushis07+glhis07)-120) + (((matha07+mathb07)/2)+26.5) + ((((fouryr07+twoyr07)/2)+reg07)+20.5))/4)

I ended up having to write a computer program to do this for me, because doing it by hand became impossible.

But anyway....without any further interruption....!!

High School............................................ ..............seanx4 Ranking
PERFECT SCORE (NONE)............................................ ........154.1
Cold Spring Harbor HS................................................ .......146.2 *
Jericho HS................................................ ......................145.0
Wheatley School............................................ ..................144.5
Syosset HS................................................ .....................144.0
Garden City HS................................................ ................143.9
Great Neck South HS................................................ ........142.7
Roslyn HS................................................ .......................142.7
Manhasset HS................................................ .................142.5
Plainview/JFK HS................................................ ..............142.2
Wantagh HS................................................ ....................141.9
Herricks HS................................................ .....................140.3
Paul D. Schreiber HS................................................ .........139.8
JFK (Bellmore)........................................ ..........................139.4
Locust Valley HS................................................ ..............138.1
Sanford H. Calhoun........................................... ................137.6
Gen. Douglas MacArthur......................................... ...........136.8
George W. Hewlett HS................................................ .......136.5
Lynbrook HS................................................ ....................136.1
Great Neck North HS................................................ .........136.0
Floral Park Memorial HS................................................ ......135.4
Bethpage HS................................................ ....................134.6
Massapequa HS................................................ ................134.6
New Hyde Park Memorial HS................................................ 134.6
Carle Place HS................................................ ..................133.3
Wellington C. Mepham............................................ ............132.7
North Shore HS................................................ .................132.2
South Side HS................................................ ..................130.7
Valley Stream South HS................................................ ......130.3
H. Frank Carey HS................................................ .............130.0
Seaford HS................................................ .......................129.3
Valley Stream North HS................................................ ......129.2
Division Avenue HS................................................ ............129.1
Island Trees HS................................................ .................129.1
Oyster Bay HS................................................ ..................128.9
Oceanside HS................................................ ...................128.5
Mineola HS................................................ .......................128.1
Hicksville HS................................................ .....................127.9
Plainedge HS................................................ ....................125.1
Glen Cove HS................................................ ...................124.1
Valley Stream Central HS................................................ ....123.8
Sewanhaka HS................................................ .................123.5
East Meadow HS................................................ ...............123.2
Elmont Memorial HS................................................ ...........122.6
W. Tresper Clarke HS................................................ .........122.1
Farmingdale HS................................................ .................121.7 *
West Hempstead HS................................................ ..........120.6
Long Beach HS................................................ .................119.3
Malverne HS................................................ .....................117.9
Baldwin HS................................................ .......................117.4
Lawrence HS................................................ ....................117.2
East Rockaway HS................................................ ............116.9
Uniondale HS................................................ ....................108.3 **
Amityville HS................................................ ....................100.1 *
Freeport HS................................................ .......................91.7
Westbury HS................................................ ......................83.8
Hempstead HS................................................ ....................60.3 **
Roosevelt HS................................................ ......................57.8

* = Bi-County School District
** = Incomplete Data Available

Suffolk list coming.....sometime before 2010