View Single Post

Old 04-08-2009, 08:27 AM
al_roethlisberger

635 posts, read 3,093,288 times
Regarding copperheads, my comment about not wanting anything to do with you or your dog is indeed accurate. I wouldn't characterize copperheads as aggressive or any more territorial than other regional snakes per se. They also may or may not technically "run" from you, but they do hide as well, which from the snake's perspective serves the same goal.... to not run into you!

But the bottom line is that they'd rather not have anything to do with you unless one purposely or inadvertently presses the issue

Quote:
Copperheads, not known to be aggressive, normally have a quiet disposition but when threatened or startled they will vigorously defend themselves from danger.
Snakes, at least the kind we find naturally in NC, tend to only bite when specifically threatened and from their perspective given no other choice.

I've been a couple feet from copperheads and cottonmouths, and had them both run and stay perfectly still when they are come upon. Since they often have no other recourse, that's the only strategy they have. Rattlesnakes in contrast generally "rattle" in their attempt to tell you: "Hey, I feel threatened, back off and go away please!"

And, snakes are very sensitive to vibration. So when you are tromping around, that does indeed sometimes make them nervous. Wouldn't you be when a giant was stomping near your tiny body?

But this also generally makes many snakes avoid high traffic areas. So the less rural you are(with some exceptions like urban ponds for example), the less likely you are to run into most snakes. I'll reassert that they really don't want anything to do with you, although the more we build in their habitat, the occasional meeting is inevitable.

The trick is to just be aware of snake habitats, be "aware"(but not afraid), and act appropriately. As others have stated, stepping over logs, reaching into recesses, playing around stream banks or areas with high rodent populations(like a barn) are all areas that one should at least be aware that snakes could be present and be cautious. But being cautious doesn't mean being afraid. If one gives snakes the opportunity to "run" and just avoid putting oneself in a bad situation, the likelihood of a snake encounter gone bad is very small.

Al