U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > Administration Zone > About the Forum
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2011, 07:21 AM

25,454 posts, read 23,266,873 times

Advertisements

Hi, this question is actually for the mods...and I hope I'm posting this in the right area, but I've noticed in the past year or so, a great many threads are being closed by mods...

Now I understand that some threads become heated and are closed down...however, I've noticed upon which people are disagreeing and voicing they're opinions, threads are being closed down and no one is getting overheated or abusive, the threads are simply being closed down?
I know if people begin to attack each other, verbally, a thread is closed down and spoiled for everyone else who is having a discussion. What I'm saying is, instead of spoiling it for everyone, why can't a warning be given out to those who are name calling?

I enjoy a good debate, and it's ok with me if someone disagrees with me...that isn't insulting or an issue...but to close a thread down because people are disagreeing, proves no purpose...and we loose a great deal of information that way. I don't think it's fair, to censor people's ideas and feelings on a subject by closing it down b/c we disagree...?

I see it more and more, and it's not fair to those who want to participate in a respectful manner...instead of closing the thread down, why not give out a warning to the person who is ruining the thread, and better yet, delete they're posts...

I've also seen posts deleted b/c people were in disagreement...and felt that as a personal attack in itself. You can't have a forum discussion and have everyone agree, and the only way to learn is to have disagreements...
I'm not talking about personal attacks, or some people in there who seem to not be able to read someone else's post and personally attacks them...by calling them names...
I'm talking about a general discussion where people are simply in disagreement and asking for clarification...
To close a thread down is censorship in a way, instead of deleting the guilty party's posts...
why are so many threads being closed?

Old 06-27-2011, 07:30 AM

26,346 posts, read 80,739,113 times
How many is "so many"?

Are threads getting closed at a higher rate now than earlier? Or, is the rate of thread closure about the same as it has always been?

Old 06-27-2011, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
How many is "so many"?

Are threads getting closed at a higher rate now than earlier? Or, is the rate of thread closure about the same as it has always been?
Hi Charles
I've been here at the forum for a number of years, and I've noticed in the past year, that more threads are being closed then before...simply b/c people are having a disagreement.
I understand, the mods have a difficult job, however, it seems that some of them come in and close threads due to disagreements...and sometimes the disagreements go back and forth, however, before, people got warnings, and I was thinking perhaps instead of closing the threads, that people who are being disrespectful should be warned rather then the entire thread community be punished?
I don't know, I'm simply grasping at straws here...but it's been going on for about the last 6 months to a year?

I'm just asking? I haven't counted them, however, it seems a lot more evident then years ago....before people were warned for threatening comments, or given a suspension...?

Old 06-27-2011, 08:46 AM

3,131 posts, read 4,114,611 times
I see someone has been visiting either the U.S. forum(s) or the politics section lately . The worse is N.Y. with the sub forum Long Island. Those people are crazy

Last edited by BigMike50; 06-27-2011 at 09:16 AM..

Old 06-27-2011, 08:48 AM

33,546 posts, read 51,750,301 times
If you know who closed the thread, you should DM the mod and ask why. If you do it here - that's discussing moderators action.

Old 06-27-2011, 10:02 AM

24,130 posts, read 38,859,608 times
Yes, on specific threads you need to DM the MOD.

Additionally, what you might not see is that some threads are in constant turmoil, with many posts being deleted. Only the Poster and Mods see that the post is deleted. What the average user sees is a sanitized thread which appears delightful. Sometimes a moderator will just close the thread rather than fight the beast...

Rich

Old 06-27-2011, 10:14 AM

17,542 posts, read 34,598,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post

Additionally, what you might not see is that some threads are in constant turmoil, with many posts being deleted. Only the Poster and Mods see that the post is deleted. What the average user sees is a sanitized thread which appears delightful. Sometimes a moderator will just close the thread rather than fight the beast...

Rich
Exactly. For instance, many threads degenerate (sometimes VERY quickly) into an argument between two posters with virtually no one else participating. If that argument gets heated and personal enough, the posts get deleted (so that no one else but mods and the author can see that they were ever there) any orphaned posts get deleted. and the thread gets closed.

Old 06-27-2011, 10:40 AM

25,947 posts, read 25,869,596 times
Consider also the topic and if it falls into the guidelines. Also, the thread may be a cross post from a thread in another forum or OP was banned along time ago and the question already posed was answered. These are just a couple examples of the number of reasons.

Old 06-27-2011, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post

Rich
ahhhh, ok, that makes sense...

Old 06-27-2011, 11:20 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

16,412 posts, read 32,206,573 times
Because I dislike the term "censorship" in conjunction with moderating choices soooo much, I want to pass along that the TOS here allows moderators to close threads dealing with "controversial topics."

Quote:
Threads dealing with controversial topics that often degenerate into flame wars, such as politics or religion, may be moved, closed, or deleted by moderators at their discretion without any warning to the participants.
A key phrase in that section of the TOS is "often degenerate into flame wars." In addition to deleted posts, mods take into account a forum's past history with a topic. You may not be aware that a forum previously had issues discussing a topic that seems harmless to you. In most of the local forums I moderate, there are a couple of topics that I know will always end up in a free-for-all. Sometimes I let threads discussing those topics get to the free-for-all stage to make sure and other times, I shut them down before they get to that point. I usually try to make that history aspect of the decision clear if I see that some of the posters in the thread are too new to be aware of it.

That's not censorship. That's putting out a small fire before it becomes a wildfire!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > Administration Zone > About the Forum