U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > Administration Zone > About the Forum
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2011, 08:28 AM

41 posts, read 35,571 times

Advertisements

I feel there is one moderator on this forum who singles out my posts and says they are either trolling or off topic when I see many posts within the same thread being left alone which could be under the same category. It's getting old and making me almost want to delete my account. Is there a way to put in a formal complaint against a moderator?

Old 09-11-2011, 08:35 AM

12,532 posts, read 18,224,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondacub85 View Post
I feel there is one moderator on this forum who singles out my posts and says they are either trolling or off topic when I see many posts within the same thread being left alone which could be under the same category. It's getting old and making me almost want to delete my account. Is there a way to put in a formal complaint against a moderator?
The first thing you should do is try to address it with the Moderator. If that doesn't satisfy you then you should contact Marka or Yac via DM.

Complaints

And, if you do decide to stop frequenting C-D, you should know that per the TOS accounts are never deleted. So, you can feel free to come back at anytime.

Old 09-11-2011, 09:24 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $84,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

14,577 posts, read 21,270,444 times
Hondacub85, as a member with exactly 12 posts here, you need to be aware that new members are viewed with suspicion by most current members. Many times I will see reports in my assigned forums of issues with new members' posts that would never have been reported if the same member had hundreds of posts.

I didn't look into your history deeply enough to know whether the issues with your posts were reported by members or discovered by a mod, but since you only have 12 posts, I wouldn't be surprised if they were reported.

My advice is to let everyone get to know you before you criticize the community. If you look for faults and complain about them in the forums, other members of the community will be quicker to criticize your posts. The old saying "you can catch more flies with honey than with vinegar" definitely applies to new members here.

Old 09-11-2011, 11:25 AM

14,812 posts, read 7,990,208 times
Hondacub, I can sympathize with your dilemma as I have had similar experiences several times with my posts in the Politics Forum. Although I have made thousands of posts, I have had posts deleted by a mod as being "off topic" (when similar posts from other members remain) or "personal" (again, when many "personal" posts are left untouched). I once had a post deleted with the reason given as "misquote" when I had used the Quote button in my reply to a particular post. I have reported personally insulting posts, and the mod receiving the complaint leaves them alone. If you have a post deleted, there is a reason posted and if you disagree you can DM the mod who deleted it and ask what was so offensive that it had to be removed. Other than that, and contacting Marka or Yac, I don't know what else you can do.

Old 09-11-2011, 02:47 PM

10,481 posts, read 14,643,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beretta View Post
The first thing you should do is try to address it with the Moderator. If that doesn't satisfy you then you should contact Marka or Yac via DM.

Complaints

And, if you do decide to stop frequenting C-D, you should know that per the TOS accounts are never deleted. So, you can feel free to come back at anytime.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post
Hondacub85, as a member with exactly 12 posts here, you need to be aware that new members are viewed with suspicion by most current members. Many times I will see reports in my assigned forums of issues with new members' posts that would never have been reported if the same member had hundreds of posts.

I didn't look into your history deeply enough to know whether the issues with your posts were reported by members or discovered by a mod, but since you only have 12 posts, I wouldn't be surprised if they were reported.

My advice is to let everyone get to know you before you criticize the community. If you look for faults and complain about them in the forums, other members of the community will be quicker to criticize your posts. The old saying "you can catch more flies with honey than with vinegar" definitely applies to new members here.
The member has 12 posts but 31 reps. Most likely lots of his/her posts were deleted. I have the same problem, but neither the moderator in question nor the senior moderator Marka replied to my DM's. I just ended up letting it go and moved on.

Old 09-11-2011, 02:52 PM

14,851 posts, read 17,695,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beretta View Post

Complaints
Yeah, right. Whatever.

I have had a couple of infractions. Some were warranted (f-tarding another poster), and some which weren't (being accused of posting off-topic when my post was exactly ON TOPIC, but controversial).

The few times, when I felt that my "punishment" was undeserved I complained and appealed the decision and in each case, I received very little response and it was clear that they had not intention of challenging the moderator. I don't think they even read the thread to see if what I was saying was true.

Let's face it, CD is what it is. You have to play by the mods rules or you get your hand slapped.

It takes a lot of fun out of it. That's for sure.

20yrsinBranson

Old 09-11-2011, 03:06 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $84,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

14,577 posts, read 21,270,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Let's face it, CD is what it is. You have to play by the mods rules or you get your hand slapped.

It takes a lot of fun out of it. That's for sure.
What's the first full sentence in this forum's Terms of Service?

Spoiler
This forum is strictly moderated.

The importance of playing by the rules and the fact that the moderators insist on playing by the rules should come as no surprise at a forum where that is the first sentence in the rules.

Old 09-11-2011, 03:52 PM

14,851 posts, read 17,695,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post
What's the first full sentence in this forum's Terms of Service?

Spoiler
This forum is strictly moderated.

The importance of playing by the rules and the fact that the moderators insist on playing by the rules should come as no surprise at a forum where that is the first sentence in the rules.
I don't have a problem with being "strictly moderated" if such moderation is fair and even in it's application. Often the moderation level is not congruent with the remaining TOS, but rather is reflective of the moderator's PERSONAL point of view.

Nobody MINDS being reprimanded for an intentional violation. However, when making posts on a daily basis becomes a game of "did I say something that the mod isn't going to LIKE" regardless of it's relevancy or the fact that it falls within the terms of the TOS, then the process is broken.

I freely admit that when I F-tarded the other poster, I did so with the full expectation of being disciplined and I made the conscious decision that it was worth it to me. On the other hand, when I contribute to a thread with a sincere desire to express my point of view, and that contribution falls within the TOS guidelines, I feel very violated when I am disciplined for having a controversial opinion or saying something that a particular MOD does not like.

I believe this is what the OP is referring to. I believe that the OP feels that the "interpretation" of his statements were unjust.

I would LOVE to see the implementation of a committee that reviews appeals so that a totally INDEPENDENT ruling could be made in these situations. It would certainly make me feel like CD cares enough about me to make sure determinations are fair and unbiased. I think that's all we want.

20yrsinBranson

Old 09-11-2011, 04:19 PM

14,812 posts, read 7,990,208 times
I post a lot in the P&OC Forum and I am a blunt and outspoken conservative. That particular forum seems to have a lot of liberal mods on it and their bias becomes painfully obvious at times, particularly when they will not moderate impartially.

Old 09-11-2011, 07:16 PM

41 posts, read 35,571 times
While I do agree that the moderators do have a job to do, this case is quite extreme. I have been a member of countless forums and have never been so vigilantly moderated before on any of them. I just don't understand why the moderators pick and choose who they want to "pick on". And like I said, it's only one moderator in particular, I've never been cut or deleted from anybody else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > Administration Zone > About the Forum